Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

It's looking like I'll have to go to the bad and fail nation of the UK in the summer. Does SkySports F1 come with a normal sky sport sub? or do I have to tell my family to buy it separately?

[edit] Actually wait, does F1TV work on VPN?

If you're staying near Bell End in Worcestershire give me a shout for a beer.

But yeah Sky Sports F1 is included with the sports package and I'm pretty sure F1TV is VPN dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Bell End in Worcestershire

Oh come on

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used to live near cock alley

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/cock-alley-north-east-derbyshire

Last time I said that on the internet, some dude went "I work at the electricity substation!" and it got super awkward.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since this is the thread with lots of racing/car fans/Mercedes supporters, can anyone confirm that:

1. The "old" Top Gear episodes are on BBC iPlayer
2. They're there unedited, in their original broadcast form, with the original music?

On a completely unrelated note: is there an easy way to get Apple TV working with a VPN?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Theophany posted:

If you're staying near Bell End in Worcestershire give me a shout for a beer.

But yeah Sky Sports F1 is included with the sports package and I'm pretty sure F1TV is VPN dumb.

Most of my time will probably be split between Leicester and Wolverhampton but I'm going to rent a car this time so if I end up somewhere around there I'll let you know.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

Since this is the thread with lots of racing/car fans/Mercedes supporters, can anyone confirm that:

1. The "old" Top Gear episodes are on BBC iPlayer
2. They're there unedited, in their original broadcast form, with the original music?

On a completely unrelated note: is there an easy way to get Apple TV working with a VPN?

I looked into this a while ago and I think the VPN is relatively straight forward to get going but I think you need your Apple account to point towards the UK to get the whole thing working or something. I could be completely off base though since it just seemed like less hassle to get a NAS and pirate everything

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

italian quid posted:

I looked into this a while ago and I think the VPN is relatively straight forward to get going but I think you need your Apple account to point towards the UK to get the whole thing working or something. I could be completely off base though since it just seemed like less hassle to get a NAS and pirate everything

idk seems like this:

https://www.getflix.com.au/

May be a viable option and significantly cheaper/easier/faster than playing computer janitor to set up a NAS/Plex just for Top Gear.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Residency Evil posted:

There's kind of no easy way to do this without some sort of proxy or enterprise/open source firewall, but if you have a firewall/router that's not basically a toy, you can setup the VPN tunnel on the inside edge and then make a routing policy so that any traffic to/from the IP address of your Apple TV goes out the VPN tunnel.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's no native way to use a VPN on Apple TV, you'd have to do it at the router or something. I have had good luck with a couple streaming services (like FITE) that can be tricked into thinking you're in a different country just by changing your DNS server, but I doubt that works with BBC because it really makes no sense that you'd check someone's location based on their DNS origin.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

idk seems like this:

May be a viable option and significantly cheaper/easier/faster than playing computer janitor to set up a NAS/Plex just for Top Gear.

Dawg if you can post on SA and recognize the 993 as the superior p car, you can set the poo poo up yourself. But will cost a bit initially for server/drives/etc

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

idk seems like this:

if you can get it working consistently then ya, I ran a VPN for years and it was a bit too fiddly for my tastes but if you find one that works good I'd say go for it.

I think everyone is wising up to the DNS trick though so you might have to go through the OpenVPN standard or whatever its called which I think you can't do from the Apple TV and would either have to do it at a router level or do one of those Raspberry Pi hand over things.

This is the extent of my computer knowledge

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Plex is pathetically easy to setup and the broadcast episodes of Top Gear are "out there"

[edit] GeoDNS is bad and doesn't even work for the applications it was designed for.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

if you're doing this on the balance of difficulty of playing computer janitor too much then just get the NAS as VPNs being too fiddly is why I got one. Synology has its own loving torrent client built into it so you can move all that poo poo off your computer completely

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Synology's (Synologies?) can even host Plex servers and work extremely well as a "one and done" NAS solution. They are very expensive though.

[edit]
Everything has a cost. What you don't spend in money, you may spend in time. You can build a NAS out of spare parts and use freeNAS or Unraid for almost nothing, but it will take you 5-10x longer to build, configure, and maintain than just dropping the $1200-1500 for a Synology and 4 drives plugging it in and letting it run. In the end it's about what's more valuable to you: time or money.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 24, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
use vpn on your phone and airplay it instead of any of these complicated things people are suggesting.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

use vpn on your phone and airplay it instead of any of these complicated things people are suggesting.

AirPlay sucks so much

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

AirPlay sucks so much

Do NOT disparage AirPlay Wicka. I swear to loving god

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MustardFacial posted:

There's kind of no easy way to do this without some sort of proxy or enterprise/open source firewall, but if you have a firewall/router that's not basically a toy, you can setup the VPN tunnel on the inside edge and then make a routing policy so that any traffic to/from the IP address of your Apple TV goes out the VPN tunnel.

I have a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro at home, which I think might be able to do this.

MustardFacial posted:

Synology's (Synologies?) can even host Plex servers and work extremely well as a "one and done" NAS solution. They are very expensive though.

italian quid posted:

if you're doing this on the balance of difficulty of playing computer janitor too much then just get the NAS as VPNs being too fiddly is why I got one. Synology has its own loving torrent client built into it so you can move all that poo poo off your computer completely

TheBacon posted:

Dawg if you can post on SA and recognize the 993 as the superior p car, you can set the poo poo up yourself. But will cost a bit initially for server/drives/etc

Yeah, I'm just trying to avoid using a NAS solely for the purpose of watching Top Gear. I'm old and lazy now, so all of our TV/Movie watching is via legitimate means since I don't feel like keeping up with what version of Ubuntu I should be running on my headless server. Honestly if the "real" episodes were available for purchase I'd just buy them, but unfortunately they're not.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

your friend wicka posted:

AirPlay sucks so much

works on my machine

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Residency Evil posted:

I have a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro at home, which I think might be able to do this.

lol, don't count on it. Unless something has changed in the last year afaik, UDM Pro's only allow policy based routing for failover and not for device or VLAN specific settings. I am by no means a Ubiquiti expert though so I could be wrong.

[edit] It looks like you can use this script to do it, it's kind of an OTT way to do it but it should work: https://github.com/peacey/split-vpn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want to do VPN for country shifting on a router then get something like https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-b1300/, it has wizards for loads of providers and it's OpenWrt anyway so you can get into the more advanced stuff if you want. I suggested it to my brother in law because he wants to be able to watch La Liga games and he managed to get it all set up by himself.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm deadly serious lmao

MustardFacial posted:

Most of my time will probably be split between Leicester and Wolverhampton but I'm going to rent a car this time so if I end up somewhere around there I'll let you know.

Wolverhampton's right by me, if you're game and have a evening let's go for a beer, bud.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

Do NOT disparage AirPlay Wicka. I swear to loving god

Oh I'm disparaging, Jerry!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

I'm deadly serious lmao

I'm assuming you found the place name and then started looking for houses there, just so your address could have Bell End in it

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Quizzlefish posted:

They seem more reliable than a red bull op

Well when you spend tens of millions of dollars Italian cars can go like, 500km before it dies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Red Bull doesn't even make cars. Fraud company

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
If you have unlimited data and not poo poo speed, connect to the VPN using your phone and use it as a hotspot, connect your ATV to that and Bob's your uncle.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can use any vpn I want on my Chromecast with Google TVTM

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just pay for Sky sports on a month by month basis because it's cheaper than buying a new TV.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Sorry to our Italian sports enthusiasts. The sports gods giveth and they taketh away.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1507109723534987274?s=20&t=B56KcS2HIZY8E3DsmPfkFQ

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's fine, the entire country needs to be focused on the national F1 team winning both championships this year

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

lol @ Italy, at least you have fast red cars though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Qatar world cup is fake anyway. Almost as bad as the one in Amerikkka

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Sorry to our Italian sports enthusiasts. The sports gods giveth and they taketh away.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1507109723534987274?s=20&t=B56KcS2HIZY8E3DsmPfkFQ

this is just like when the usa missed qualifying

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
videos of goal in extra time and after the whistle here:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-italy-have-been-knocked-out-of-the-world-cup-by-north-macedonia-20220324

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was a good goal to be fair, not as good as Bale's though

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ArmZ posted:

this is just like when the usa missed qualifying

It's actually much more embarrassing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cracker of a goal to be fair

you can see the exact moment Mancini's heart breaks.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Italian football and F1 teams both boycotting Qatar this year, great to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It eventually catches up with you if you don’t score any goals.