Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Every AI SCAV right? But even if that's the only drawback, that might not be the big of a deal?

You also get a longer timer between raids, fewer scav extracts available each run, and will spawn in with worse gear. I think the vehicle extracts are also more expensive. Generally its best to just not shoot first even if it will get you killed as a scav sometimes. If they do try to kill you, they are fair game once they damage you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Every AI SCAV right? But even if that's the only drawback, that might not be the big of a deal?

Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself that it's worth tanking your scav rep when everyone is repeatedly telling you it isn't worth it?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, I have not been following Tarkov closely for a while, but I've heard that there are some events now? Is this the mid-wipe or late-wipe and the new patch is just around the corner?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I usually play with a duo but am getting more comfortable playing solo (first wipe). Ran around yesterday with a bolt action killing scavs for the first Jaeger shooter quest and had a lot of fun. Turns out .366 AP is pretty good.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself that it's worth tanking your scav rep when everyone is repeatedly telling you it isn't worth it?

I'm not trying to convince others of anything. I am only trying to determine what happens if your ranking gets super low and the answer to that is not much.

I wonder if you could make it super high then spend a bunch of time killing kitted SCAVs right before they extract but stopping before it gets too low. :devil:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do it. You'll eventually load in dead a majority of the time.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm not trying to convince others of anything. I am only trying to determine what happens if your ranking gets super low and the answer to that is not much.

I wonder if you could make it super high then spend a bunch of time killing kitted SCAVs right before they extract but stopping before it gets too low. :devil:

It is a lot though. You get poo poo guns, bad spawn inventory, scavs become hostile and your respawn time goes up dramatically. Any extra potential money you'd make from killing other scavs and taking their stuff is going to be lost from the extra time spent waiting for spawns and the fact that you now have to crawl around the map and play it like you're a solo PMC because every scav is going to shoot on sight.

As badscav you aren't spawning with medical equipment so it's not like you can take many/any hits and survive because you're unlikey to start with anything in pocket to deal with any bleeds you get hit with, and you're likely to get hit with bleeds because you aren't going to spawn with armor.

If your goal is to make money as a scav, killing other scavs isn't the way to do it

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What are you getting from killing scavs? Broken guns? Half used cheese med kits? Dorm key 218?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

VulgarandStupid posted:

What are you getting from killing scavs? Broken guns? Half used cheese med kits? Dorm key 218?

If you notice a fellow player scav picking up something very expensive or running towards an exit with a Pilgrim, that's when it might be worth betraying a fellow scav over.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Triple A posted:

If you notice a fellow player scav picking up something very expensive or running towards an exit with a Pilgrim, that's when it might be worth betraying a fellow scav over.

Occasionally yes, but it’s not worth losing your AI bodyguards and watchdogs over.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A few hundred thousand roubles every 8 minutes?

Nah man. Gimmie that like 150k every 20 with a way higher risk of dying. That’s my jam.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it's okay to play a game sub-optimally if you're having fun doing it

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I funded most of my hideout through scavving the coast of lighthouse. It's been my first wipe, mostly solo, and never felt troubled for cash. The Lighthouse beaches always felt sparsely populated and between the tech spawns on the road and the stashes it kept my pockets filled. Couple hundred thousand roubles for 6-8 minutes of running with an easy 90+% survive rate. Spawning in at night seems to put you in later in the raid more frequently (fewer pmcs around) and the high value spawns in the chalet and village were less likely to be hit as I scooted my way to the beach than during the day. If you haven't tried many night raids I suggest giving it a shot as it's often much brighter than you'd expect (not always) and buried stashes are more visible than in the daytime. Night factory runs have also been a nice change of pace as well as good exp/hr, and Tagilla farming is dead simple after learning to target the legs. Seems less populated on EU than NA servers for some reason too.

I did most of my tasks at dawn or dusk under the "Reign of Fire" principle. I figured the best players are unlikely to take fancy optics into a raid with changing light conditions which should level the playing field or lower the overall skill quality. It seemed to work out "okay". I still hate resort. I missed the EoD vs. standard chat from earlier but I think the perk I'm most envious of is the gamma case as every "free" square feels priceless. The punisher quest line was fine but the Kappa grind is unreasonable for myself. Having said that the game feels somewhat aimless after getting the epsilon case. Not in a bad way in so much as an "I don't want to hide in a bush and work on shooter born kills" kind of way.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bussamove posted:

A few hundred thousand roubles every 8 minutes?

Nah man. Gimmie that like 150k every 20 with a way higher risk of dying. That’s my jam.

20 minutes? My roommate's scav timer is over two hours. I don't know how much his vehicle extracts are exactly, but he says they often cost as much as his kit.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Mate of mine had -11 fence rep thanks to killing Santa repeatedly, and his vehicle extracts topped out at 20k roubles i believe.

His scav timer was over 24 hours at one point, not sure what the cap for that is. Moonshine runs on his scav case would take over 24 hours too.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Copper For Lyfe posted:

Mate of mine had -11 fence rep thanks to killing Santa repeatedly

On purpose or does he have literally no control? Does he team kill you every other raid?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
To be fair, Santa routinely scared the poo poo out of me and several times I shot at him just because I freaked out and flinched seeing his creepy rear end sitting in a dark corner looking at me or waving.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Huh, that's weird - my friend is at -13ish last I checked, and it was just two hours for scav runs I think.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

On purpose or does he have literally no control? Does he team kill you every other raid?

At least in my friend's case he accidentally popped Santa a couple times in situations that weren't immediately obvious, and then figured he was so deep in the hole he might as well embrace it.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

aniviron posted:

At least in my friend's case he accidentally popped Santa a couple times in situations that weren't immediately obvious, and then figured he was so deep in the hole he might as well embrace it.

Yea it was this. He said gently caress it and started farming Santa backpacks and hats, so he could pretend to be Santa at the end of the wipe whenever that happens.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Uhhh my stats say I've killed 3 bosses. I don't remember EVER fighting a boss and winning(or ever fighting one on purpose.) What gives?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is it just me or have there not been many updates to this game in a while?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is it just me or have there not been many updates to this game in a while?

That's just how it goes. Their small patches are typically very small and they do two or three large updates a year.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Uhhh my stats say I've killed 3 bosses. I don't remember EVER fighting a boss and winning(or ever fighting one on purpose.) What gives?

Raiders count as bosses, so do Rogues (not sure)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh I have killed a few rogues. I bet that’s it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I've been playing a lot of the hunt showdown recently, the not problematic at all magical realism western shooter. It's been pretty good so far. The time to kill is about twice the time in tarkov but the pve is more engaging relatively speaking.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I heard cheating was even more rampant?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shumagorath posted:

I heard cheating was even more rampant?

Sample size one, haven’t noticed. But I don’t play top end stuff.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've played maybe 20 hours in the past three weeks and it feels like there's less cheaters than average torkov matchs. Im in the most populous mmr and haven't died to any suspicious fights fwiw. It helps mentally that I can see the kill shot, and spectate my friends when I go down.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Are there any indications that MMR actually exists in this game?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

in Tarkov? Absolutely not

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Tarkov has no matchmaking at all(outside of region and ping) and never will. It's part of the game's charm. Even a brand new player off the shelf with nothing but a makarov can face tap a sweatlord.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Umbreon posted:

Tarkov has no matchmaking at all(outside of region and ping) and never will. It's part of the game's charm. Even a brand new player off the shelf with nothing but a makarov can face tap a sweatlord.

What about with a toz?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chopstix posted:

What about with a toz?

Especially with a toz

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Chopstix posted:

What about with a toz?

If you get shot in the face and you're not wearing a face plate, which most people don't because it blocks/obscures your vision, you die. Does it matter how high level you are or how long you've been playing or what you own, you die. That's what keeps tarkov balanced.

And if you're worried about face plates, that's what leg meta is for.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the best pistol that can still penetrate armor including helmets but isn't 5.7mm? Is it better to use 9x18,9x19,9x21 or .45 ACP?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's the best pistol that can still penetrate armor including helmets but isn't 5.7mm? Is it better to use 9x18,9x19,9x21 or .45 ACP?

are you on gunslinger? if not just bring a real gun

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/Ballistics

basically anything but 9x18 is fine, with the best ammo for all of those calibers being at ~38-39 penetration (p good odds of going through level 4)

after that it's going to come down to personal and often extremely subjective preferences vis a vis iron sights, accessories (if you don't want iron sights), magazine capacity, acceptable bullet speed, cost, etc., as well as how you're using the guns (9x19 PBP is more accurate and zippier than the other calibers but also has harsher recoil penalties so might be less good for spamming)

just try them out and see what you like

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 4, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1511342238982361104?s=20&t=t3dtGcurvbZjnN8S21E7vw

This is gonna be balanced.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Love to sniff my fingers while on a swivel for hostiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Fact: .45 with ap rounds is the ultimate sidearm.