Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Buy an Idris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
:justpost: 2000 pages woo hoo. What do we win?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
2000 pages, and what do you get
Another day older and deeper in tech debt

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Happy 2000 everybody! Early days my friends, early days!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Remember folks, this is just the tier 0 thread. Smart is working on the real thread and will release it this July.

.random
May 7, 2007

Is now when we have the SC thread awards ceremony? Best Parp Shippuden goes to…

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/cIKOP3V.mp4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Significant global resources should be used to put this in place of the Alien chest-burster.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

.random posted:

Is now when we have the SC thread awards ceremony? Best Parp Shippuden goes to…

You mean the Stimperial Awards? They kinda suck because even if you win, you loose!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here’s to another 2000 pages.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Infltration sucsfl!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
These are my feelings on reaching page 2000 of SC thread expressed in performance dance

https://v.redd.it/v0mfiglu4qq51/DASH_480.mp4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

yeah that's a mood. i feel ya buddy, sometimes it feels like life is just putting it straight up your rear end

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The fancy UI consist to give by hand the food/drink to the other player. Something that you can't do in ED...
You can even stock your fridge (if your ship have one) and let other players get what they want in it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
2000v of worst kind of electricity plz

https://v.redd.it/b0ppp8t4pcp81/DASH_480.mp4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

Infltration sucsfl!

what in tarnation

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1507024248040173571

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beet Wagon posted:

what in tarnation

It’s from this very dull vid with the leaks guy who said Sq52 wasn’t getting delayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MupCFP2P4

He does say Agent’s leaks are terrible tho, so that was funny

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Lol, did CIG kill another Character Art team?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
In the year 2000, the movie Wing Commander became one year old.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2642118145/weekly/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sorry Relic, no matter how much you simp, Sempai will not hire you

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gravity_Storm posted:

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before! Any longer and it gets stale.

According to Wikipedia, there has not been a single series of Star Trek types that have run for 10 years. So really Star citizen is showing Star Trek how it's done.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erulisse posted:

You just do not get it!

Where do you motorboat in SC if not in this river!

In the physics-enabled bust of your mostly flat chested, highly muscled female avatar.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pixelate posted:

It’s from this very dull vid with the leaks guy who said Sq52 wasn’t getting delayed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MupCFP2P4

He does say Agent’s leaks are terrible tho, so that was funny

Oh hey, Hater's still on that grindset. Good for him.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shazback posted:

They made a big mistake with the first attempt, but they learned a lot from it so this new engine will be perfect. Companies around the world will be begging Crobberts to use it! Imagine if you could play Mario Kart, but with each part in the kart faithfully modelled and acting in an accurate physical manner, while your character's limbic and cardiovascular systems aren't faked but really model the muscular spasms you would have taking part in such a race! Well with this new engine you can even go further. Between races you can (must) perform a full tune-up and maintenance routine, change tyres, etc. Including when necessary flying off-planet to find replacement parts which are hidden behind fun quests given in mess halls or seedy / luxury bars by roguish bearded men that you've gained the trust of through some intricate social networking that started with finding your apartment complex's janitor's favorite cereal...

It's called SkyEngine, because there aren't any clouds in space so this time server meshing will work great.

So yes. This is the marketing, and the 1000 YouTube videos, and the 30,000 Twitter posts, and what you are drat sure you sell to people.

In the game though, most cars move sideways, your characters arms keep spinning when you sit in the kart, and sometimes you explode when you are on a straightway for no reason, but everybody knows to push up up down down left right left right a b b a on that road to get around it, but only if your have your third tire at exactly 42.1 psi and the one river in the middle of the track is flowing east. Also every car goes the same speed except for the one being sold that month, which goes 5 miles faster than the rest. Every car also has such realistic physics that the motors are amazingly powerful so it only looks like they are moving like a no-clip model in a 3D viewer, because 8 years ago somebody talked about kart engine physics and now we're on engine physics Tier 0 so it is totally real. :)

If you don't know this you're an idiot and should get out of the game because you obviously don't understand game development. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
4665 pages to go! You can do it SC!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Had that dude just kept on posting about jobs at cig all this time?

I hope he is not a real person but some kind of paid Astroturf person because that is kinda creepy.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Holy poo poo... 'recently hired lead character artist'? Turbulent have started again haven't they? They've thrown SQ42 in the bin and started again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That dude’s insane obsession with tweeting out their lob listings will always be the absolute peak of weird fan behaviour, to me.

I have never ever seen a fan of any other company in the world so invested in them that they constantly try and shill their vacancies to the ether.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was looking at the spec chart someone made on the reddit and it looks like my 1060 GTX that runs everything I have at max including ED in VR is going to get ~10 fps in a city in Star Citizen? What the christ have they done? A 3060 RTX which costs about 2 grand will get you upto 30 fps?

It doesn't even look that good.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

4665 pages to go! You can do it SC!

Imagine getting to post on page 6665 of this thread. The very same year that Star Citizen will finally be in beta!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Aramoro posted:

I was looking at the spec chart someone made on the reddit and it looks like my 1060 GTX that runs everything I have at max including ED in VR is going to get ~10 fps in a city in Star Citizen? What the christ have they done? A 3060 RTX which costs about 2 grand will get you upto 30 fps?

Yeah I've got a 3070, i7-8700k and 16 GB memory and I'd probably hit the high highs of about 22 FPS even at 1080p. The bottlenecks in my setup would not be the 3070 but actually my slightly old CPU and only have 16 GB of memory, which is somehow plenty for literally every other game that exists at ultra settings with ray tracing.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

The Titanic posted:

According to Wikipedia, there has not been a single series of Star Trek types that have run for 10 years. So really Star citizen is showing Star Trek how it's done.

What's the over/under on Star Citizen releasing after one of the star actors has died?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Happy 2000

Since Star Citizen launched I
- immigrated
- married
- got a green card
- got a job
- moved cities
- became a citizen
- got a new job
- changed gender

It’s been an honor.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

Imagine getting to post on page 6665 of this thread. The very same year that Star Citizen will finally be in beta!

And this time Beets won't have the power to stop us!

See you guys *waves hands* Around the 'verse

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 25, 2022

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
When you Google up space games, Star Citizen comes up on many lists, including Google's. But Starsector does not.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Relic is a fitting name. It’s old, confusing, useless, and I would need a professional to explain it to me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean "it looks like the first AAAA game"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aramoro posted:

So... this is the result of using 8K textures on everything, demanding that every object have a million polys for its model, not understand how level of detail works and how you should hide objects not on screen... is a result.

The claim that it's being built for computers for the future is just an excuse for not understanding how to make video games that work within the constraints of technology you have to work with.

This sort of lackadaisical approach is covered across everything they do, where there is heavy CPU usage for AI that ultimately breaks if there are too many users on a server, to terrible net code where they hope some day they internet will be better.

This all boils down to the concept where "technology has failed Chris Roberts," instead of the truth of that where Chris Roberts doesn't understand technology enough to build anything that works within its constraints.

None of these trajectories are best practice ideas for any company, and anybody working there I hope also realizes that no other company is going to be good with them brute forcing non-functional software out the door with the hopes that technology will someday be good enough for your bad ideas and terrible architectural decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shazback posted:

What's the over/under on Star Citizen releasing after one of the star actors has died?

I'm not sure... lots of them have died so far? I'm surprised William Shatner is still tooling around really. I think he was actually one of the oldest of them and he's managed to outlive a lot of his fellow actors.