Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
They’re not capsules, and cost a little more, but these are on my list to eventually get. They’re a shortcut that turns pennies into weighty, glossy tokens.

https://burgertokens.com/products/arkham-horror-lcg-chaos-tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

What are some good coin capsules to use?

I just got some generic ones off of amazon. Check the reviews, a lot of them will have pictures of people using them with AH tokens if they're good for that.

edit: I got 25mm sized ones

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Anonymous Robot posted:

They’re not capsules, and cost a little more, but these are on my list to eventually get. They’re a shortcut that turns pennies into weighty, glossy tokens.

I've seen these posted on the Discord. I'd be afraid of not doing a good job in centering the burgs on the pennies.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just got some generic ones off of amazon. Check the reviews, a lot of them will have pictures of people using them with AH tokens if they're good for that.

edit: I got 25mm sized ones

Same here. Occasionally one will fall open in the bag but it's an easy fix and they are great otherwise.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Anonymous Robot posted:

What can you use instead of currency? I don't have access to any of the coins listed on the faq.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've just been using arkham cards, much easier to just press a button for a token. I wish there was a digital way to track resources and health/mental too

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Burger Tokens are fantastic, but they're made to be counters, not something to be a randomizer. I noticed I was drawing the auto-fail a lot, so I did a blind test and noticed that I could pick out the auto-fail and one of the other tokens 100% of the time at will, because they were flatter than the others. Could have been manufacturing or the way I pressed down when building them. I got some Air-Tite A-26 capsules for my cardboard tokens and couldn't be happier. The 26mm size lets me pop out and swap tokens if I need to, which happens occassionally because 20 is enough to run a campaign, but not enough to cover every token.

For investigator health/sanity I've been using the dials that come with Marvel Champions. They're even red and blue!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Burger Tokens are fantastic, but they're made to be counters, not something to be a randomizer. I noticed I was drawing the auto-fail a lot, so I did a blind test and noticed that I could pick out the auto-fail and one of the other tokens 100% of the time at will, because they were flatter than the others. Could have been manufacturing or the way I pressed down when building them. I got some Air-Tite A-26 capsules for my cardboard tokens and couldn't be happier. The 26mm size lets me pop out and swap tokens if I need to, which happens occassionally because 20 is enough to run a campaign, but not enough to cover every token.

For investigator health/sanity I've been using the dials that come with Marvel Champions. They're even red and blue!

Thanks for the heads up. That’s a shame, I like the idea of the chaos tokens having a little weight to them, but I’m not going to spend on custom metal ones or whatever.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
My friend got me a set of these and I’ve never looked back.

You’re not spending money, they’re an investment!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished the first two missions of Dunwich, and next up is the miskatonic museum. Playing on easy is just the right amount of challenge I wanted, and it feels like the game is getting less confusing and less "what does hunter do again" though it still has "oh okay, a new mechanic/word I haven't seen yet, let's reopen the rulebook to understand wtf it's talking about"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finished TIC with Winnie and Stella. The Dodge and shoot pistol is amazing in this campaign, but especially in the finale. I used stuff from the rabbit expansion online, so massive props to 25 automatic(3) and cat burglar(3). Opportunist(4) was good but not nearly as helpful as those two. Sawn off is useless in Winnie if you’re not going around having a lot of strength commits or someone blessing the weapon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a way to add specific cards to your collection in the app, without adding whole sets?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Batterypowered7 posted:

What are some good coin capsules to use?

Go for the gold and just buy the nice OnFireGuy capsules with the little foam inserts around the center.

Then buy the Aurbits tokens that fit perfectly in them.

Go! Spend way too much on a game you barely have time to play. Oops, that's me.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

jeeves posted:

Go for the gold and just buy the nice OnFireGuy capsules with the little foam inserts around the center.

Then buy the Aurbits tokens that fit perfectly in them.

Go! Spend way too much on a game you barely have time to play. Oops, that's me.

I bought 20 boxes of Dragon Shields and 700 clear Gamegenic sleeves. I'm no stranger to spending money on games I don't play regularly!

I went with these cheapo capsules to start:

quote:

25 mm Coin Holder Capsules Clear Round Plastic Coin Container Case for Coin Collection Supplies (100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQFPK3L/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_HY0S0G8W6D02XGEGW1RE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I figure I can get fancy with them later on.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Our Dunwich campaign ended in a bit of a heartbreaking way, we killed the big guy at the end of Where Doom Awaits but just managed to not get the clues in time, one more turn would have done it (and so doing so badly on U&U and starting with 2 extra doom on the Agenda probably was the final nail in the coffin). We managed to save one team member from Beyond the Veil with some well timed soaking on my part at least so she just nearly died instead of actually dying thanks to Brother Xavier and bandages, that felt pretty good.

Then we decided to carry on to Lost in Time and Space just to see it since time is finite and we probably won't play Dunwich again for awhile if ever (I will but not with this same group of folks I'm sure) and we nearly won that one as well, so we clearly are getting a little better at least, just need to turn these almost wins into actual wins.

We're doing Carcosa next, hoping we'll do a bit better in general but I've heard they only get better from Dunwich onward so either way, as long as they keep the fail forwards aspect we'll enjoy it regardless.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The last three scenarios in Dunwich are by far the hardest. Sometimes you get bad draws.

Going to Carcosa, movement is going to be more important shortcuts, magic portals, etc. are going to be useful, as well as safeguard(2) and safeguard zero from the Nat cho pack.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm so with that advice, is it "these types of cards will make it better/easier" or "these cards are essential and will make the scenarios doable at all"? Hopefully the former.

I'm trying not to be too much of backseat gamer/quarterback, I'm the one with all the cards but I'm kinda letting the others make their decks as they will (and I assemble them for when we play). I'm playing as Trish and assuming I am the main clue gatherer so I actually do have shortcut and some movement tech cards planned as upgrades but have no idea if the others will or would even have thought of it, looking at the fat list of cards available to a given character on Arkham DB probably leads to a bit of overload.

By magic portals do you mean astral travel or another card I'm blanking on btw? Don't even know if we're going to have a guardian or character with access to guardian cards yet but we will definitely have a mystic.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Parts II and III of Ice and Death were a cakewalk so it does appear our performance in part I was just tremendously bad luck. It did make Minh and I so skittish about partners that we didn't run one in either scenario, despite having more than enough soak this time round. The other problem we've encountered is going into Fatal Mirage, our decks contain every tekeli-li card (six in mine alone) so that could get quite spicy. I know movement tech is considered good in EotE due to the massive map size but I'm wondering if card draw is also a reasonable consideration, to make sure the tekeli-li cards get cycled back and turn off the empty deck effects.

Also I know this has been pointed out before but man, EotE has a lot of proofreading errors in it huh? It's all minor but there's spelling errors and weirdness in just about every scenario so far!

Edit: also got Return to TCU for a song, is there anything worth throwing in for a first run at the base version of the cycle (like you can do TFA with the new explore rules) or is it just better to go in knowing you need high willpower? Tia

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 28, 2022

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I would say that while movement isn't necessary to make it through Carcosa, being able to move at a brisk pace relieves a good chunk of pressure in several scenarios.

I'm pretty bad at the game, so at our table having extra movement provided a valuable "crumple zone" for us to get bogged down by bad decisions and the encounter deck while still making it out of the campaign largely intact.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a short text review of the standalone scenarios and additional investigators? Something spoiler free?

Edit: OK, found some on my own

Looks like they're all kind of hard.

Edit2: I am not liking the miskatonic museum with Zoey and Jenny. There's one monster to fight, which Zoey is able to do, but not investigate, so Jenny is having to carry which means a lot of failing, discarding stuff I needed in order to advance making it take longer than it needed.

Zoey has no problem with the combat, but there are no enemies in the encounter deck because of the scenario, so Zoey just gets turbo hosed every turn by hexes and such. I guess I should have dropped her this round and brought in some seekers instead, pretending that the Zoey player had stuff to do 😡🙄

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 29, 2022

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Miskatonic museum is possibly the worst scenarios in the game in my op in I’m, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DeceasedHorse posted:

Miskatonic museum is possibly the worst scenarios in the game in my op in I’m, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Miskatonic Museum had an interesting hook to it and I think it is probably for the better it was made, but it didn't age particularly gracefully. You can actually see that in a good number of Dunwich scenarios where they were understandably experimenting with the forms that a scenario could take given the youth of the game. Extracurricular Activities put advancement in the encounter deck, The House Always Wins pushed you away from combat at first and required you to investigate in different ways, Essex County Express had a nifty top-down design, and so forth through the rest of the scenarios.

What I think is interesting is looking past Dunwich to all the things that they kept versus what they didn't keep. For instance, The House Always Wins feels like a direct predecessor to later parlay heavy scenarios like The Last King or At Death's Doorstep. Scenarios like Blood on the Altar where you're going around looking for something to progress the scenario seems to be the dry run for about half the scenarios in The Dream Eaters. And the final scenario with a highly mutable map and a technically optional boss enemy feels like a spiritual predecessor to a lot of things they would do in The Forgotten Age and beyond.

Meanwhile, what got left behind? Well, Miskatonic Museum with its singular enemy that basically gave fighters nothing to do a lot of the time.roundly ejected, even comparatively combat light scenarios make sure to give your fighters something they can do. By the same token, they generally stopped totally mandatory skill tests as per Where Doom Awaits, the game is generally a lot more careful to allow more than one way to get through certain obstacles. Undimensioned and Unseen with its obnoxious enemies you have to kill a particular way also got pushed away. You see some of it in scenarios with immortal enemies like A Thousand Shapes of Terror or a Phantom of Truth, but how you interacted with them was much different and much less frustrating.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hopefully I already posted in the thread and you can search for my post, but the revisions people made to museum and unseen make the campaign a lot more even. With them, it makes it a fun campaign for Nathaniel, many gangsters to clock in the jaw, and using ‘get over here’! on the train is a joy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I found that it helps if you always use https://arkhamdb.com/card/02129 as the security office. It gives characters who aren't good at getting clues something to do with their actions while not fighting the singular enemy.

Knowing the exhibits ahead of time is a huge deal since so many of them are traps.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Just started running through Circle Undone with Local Novelist Grandma (Curse Gloria) and That Nice Lady That Fixes Her Car (Survival knife Daniela) and boy is it fun watching enemies break themselves upon bandaged up guard dogs and getting stabbed for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just finished two-handing the custom campaign Dark Matter and it was an A+ campaign. Tied with Edge of the Earth as my favorite. If you haven't heard of it, it's a fan-made campaign set in the future, with inspiration from Event Horizon, The Thing, Alien, etc. and all without beating you over the head with references. It takes the best parts of Dream-Eaters, Path to Carcosa, and The Forgotten Age and mixes them in a sci-fi blender. Like Edge of the Earth, it has lots of replayability, secrets you won't discover the first time through, and branching paths that lead to the same conclusion. Even though it's set in the far future, it still captures that pulp horror vibe of Arkham Horror, and I never once felt taken out of the story because I was on a space station. It really helps if you've played Path to Carcosa, and I played on TTS so this wasn't an issue, but I think you even need Path to Carcosa in order to play.

I'll be ordering a physical set printed as soon as I have the money for it, it's that good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I playtested dark matter and loved it. There’s one scenario that’s an out and out puzzle that you only really need to solve once in your life, but other than that it’s great.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Of the half dozen highly rated custom campaigns our group played Dark Matter was the best. I'd rate it higher than some of the official campaigns.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1518707684115103745?t=naJxvn2BWzWflVFcoD5XUw&s=19

First teaser for The Scarlet Keys! No cards, just a redacted dossier of one of the big bads. Or allies? I'm not familiar with the Scarlet people lore at all.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think there's speculation on that front, like maybe you get a choice early in the campaign to work with them or against them and that changes up some stuff. In the fiction they're kind of a shadowy group that seems to be working for their own ends but have the power of an ancient one empowering them in some way. I wonder if they might do a 1920s equivalent of the more modern storyline where a corporation is trying to control a giant monster/source of power and gets absolutely poo poo wrecked by it because of their arrogance. So like the ancient one is almost incidental until the end (with the irony being that capitalism is kinda worse than ancient lovecraftian evils of course).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It's about time! Apparently the SKU number for this which was leaked back in February is directly after Edge of the Earth, leaving no room for a Return to The Dream-Eaters. Not sure that really means anything yet but it would explain why we haven't seen a RtTDE announcement. I thought I remember them confirming that they would still do Return boxes with this new release model but maybe it was less than an outright confirmation and more of a "we're not sure yet."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LifeLynx posted:

First teaser for The Scarlet Keys! No cards, just a redacted dossier of one of the big bads. Or allies? I'm not familiar with the Scarlet people lore at all.

To be fair, that's because there isn't really any lore set down about them at this point. They originated as a cycle of neutral cards back in the original Call of Cthulhu LCG. Their gimmick was built around board control and also playing Conspiracy cards, which were essentially alternate objectives that you added into the game yourself that did various effects for various reasons. Everything we "know" about them is that they have where an accessory that's bright red as distinctive proof of membership and that they all have some amount of power and influence in some association with each other.

What may be mildly noteworthy is that Amaranth, the lady in that tweet, had the subtitle in the old game as "opener of the way" and she (like everyone but the Red Gloved Man) and had the trait of being a "Servitor" which was handed out to people who were loyal worshipers of one of the great old ones, but given that the whole host of them are all Neutral who exactly they work for is not totally clear. Nyarlathotep is a safe bet, but neutral Ancient Ones also include Iod, Tulzcha, Tsathoggua, and Nodens so take that as you will. Curiously, the Red Gloved Man had the trait "independent" which is used for beings who explicitly were not in the service to one of the great ones, so make of that as you will as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nyarlathotep is neutral? I thought he was the most evil. Also the most in tune with humanity to where he could tempt people with super powers in order to do his bidding, so I'm not ruling him out.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Nyarlathotep is neutral? I thought he was the most evil. Also the most in tune with humanity to where he could tempt people with super powers in order to do his bidding, so I'm not ruling him out.

It's Meowlathotep that's evil.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LifeLynx posted:

"Neutral" in the sense he (and the members of the Congress of keys) wasn't a part of one of the eight other factions of the game. Nyarlathotep was not Agency, Miskatonic University, Syndicate, Silver Twilight Lodge, Cthulhu, Hastur, Shub Niggurath, or Yog Sothoth who were the eight "colors" of the game. However, his various Masks appeared in every single one of those factions and his original printing back before it went LCG is the closest the game had to a true multi-faction character (he was kind of every single one of them at once).

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Maybe the expansion will be a mix of Egypt and the Eldritch Horror big worm guy. Which I can then play in like 2 years when I finish all the other campaigns :cthulhu:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The design notes at the end of the Edge of the Earth campaign booklet suggest the next campaign will take you to multiple continents as well so could be that each member of the council is hanging out in a different place and you go to some of them in the order you choose.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I could see something like that, given that it’s a possibility opened up by the new distribution format.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Where in the world is Cthulhu San Diego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xlorp posted:

Where in the world is Cthulhu San Diego

R'lyeh.