Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Mike: "Lt Hebe, it says!"

Crow: Haha!

Tom: Lift Here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that Jones confirmed that, as Crow thought, Manos did not actually have a crew that large (most of the names were made up).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
beta invites to the gizmoplex are out and it looks pretty drat cool

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I forgot how so many of the riffs in Catalina Caper are just variations on "hey this group of sixties teens partying are actually Nazis or the Klan or some other hate group!" I'm not saying they're wrong to make that kinda joke because it works great on a few occasions but by God do they just absolutely run it into the ground.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So yesterday I decided to watch a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream on YouTube, because I liked it when I saw it performed in high school. Somehow, I'd never caught on to the fact that Act 5 consists almost entirely of the main characters watching a bad play and making wisecracks.

Shakespearean riffing.

Riffing/MSTing is Shakespearean.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Figured that out when I was in a college production, as one of the characters putting on the bad play.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Honk if you love Eegah!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

quote:

Starting on MAY 6, all registered Gizmoplex users will be able to stream EVERY AVAILABLE CLASSIC EPISODE – that's over 125 episodes from Seasons 1-10 – for free, and without ads!
Yeah, you heard us: even if you don't have a Gizmoplex Member Pass, you'll be able to stream the entire MST3K classic collection for free, and – for a limited time – without advertising!
We've been hoping to announce this since before the Kickstarter, but needed to wait until we were 100% sure we could work out all of the details… and now we have!
Also: if you're a fan of our 24/7 channels, like Twitch and PlutoTV, don't worry: none of our linear streaming channels are going away. We're not trying to remove options for watching MST3K. We're just adding a better option, where you can see every episode on demand.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I was just coming to post this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joel you've done well

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plus you can buy “tickets” to the events and episode premieres.

quote:

How to Watch Season 13

If your Kickstarter rewards included a Gizmoplex Member Pass, you're already able to watch the "pre-release" cut of our first new episode (Santo in the Treasure of Dracula) as well as our first "Gizmoplex special event" (last week's MST3K: A Tribute to Manos livestream), so feel free to skip to the next announcement.

However, if you didn't get a Gizmoplex Member Pass yet – or your non-backer friends are wondering how they'll be able to see the new season of MST3K – you have a few options.

1. Get livestream tickets at the door for $10/event. If you don't want to commit to a full member pass, you can join any livestream event in the Gizmoplex for $10/ticket, which also includes access to rewatch the event for one week.

2. Rent each new episode for $8/week. If you don't care about seeing the live premieres, and just want to see the new season, you'll be able to rent each episode in the Gizmoplex starting one week after the livestream premiere.

Or, if you want to see all of the new episodes, shorts, and special events, you can get a better value by signing up for a GIZMOPLEX MEMBER PASS:

THE GIZMOPLEX SEASON PASS ($135)includes livestream tickets and rewatch access for all 27 planned Gizmoplex events – including 13 new episode premieres and 14 special events – plus all event replays and new content until February 28, 2023! Since individual tickets to 27 events would cost $270, that's 50% off!

And if you aren't ready to commit to the whole year, but still want a better price, we'll also offer a series of short term passes:

THE GIZMOPLEX SUMMER PASS ($50)includes livestream tickets and rewatch access for our first 11 events – 7 new episode premieres + 4 special events – plus streaming access to all event replays and new content until July 31.

We'll also offer an AUTUMN PASS, covering August to October, and a WINTER PASS, covering November to February. If you get all three, the whole season will cost $150 – over 40% off the full ticket price!

And finally, to save you a little bit more, we've got one more special offer:

Grab a Season Pass before the SEASON PREMIERE on May 6, and you'll also get a DIGITAL DOWNLOAD of Season 13 – worth $85 – for free!

But again, if you pledged for EXPERIMENT 85 or above during the Kickstarter, you already have a full Season Pass and the digital download of Season 13 for a way lower price.

Having said that: if you have friends or family who might also enjoy a Gizmoplex membership, we encourage you to share these details. Remember, the more people who join the Gizmoplex, the sooner we can get to work making more new MST3K!

And remember: if your Kickstarter rewards include a Gizmoplex Member Pass for three, six, or nine months, you'll be able to upgrade to a full Season Pass at a special backer price! More details about that coming in May, so stay tuned.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Crossing my fingers for high quality DRM-free downloads of the Godzilla episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
1302 is also a Jonah riff, it looks like.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

Crossing my fingers for high quality DRM-free downloads of the Godzilla episodes.

It's worth noting that not all episodes will be available to stream, because they don't have rights to stream all episodes. That's why they say "all available episodes". It also ties into a part of the email where Joel addresses the question of why people should buy episodes of they're all free anyway.

quote:

3 Reasons to Buy & Own Classic Episodes

1. When you buy an episode, it's yours to keep… forever.

From time to time, MST3K loses the streaming rights to the movies featured in classic episodes, and we're forced to stop streaming and selling the episode. For example, we lost the rights to The Final Sacrifice in 2017, and are no longer allowed to stream the beloved adventures of Rowsdower and Troy. But, if you had already purchased that episode, you'd still be able to watch it whenever you want!

2. When you buy an episode, you can download it DRM-free!

Once you own an episode in the Gizmoplex, you also get access to DRM-free downloads. That means you can watch your episodes offline, back them up for safe-keeping, and break free of the yoke of your internet overlords! Plus, starting later this year, you'll also get access to any available bonus material for the episodes you own!

3. When you buy an episode, you're helping us #MakeMoreMST3K.

The last reason is the most obvious: when you purchase episodes of MST3K through the Gizmoplex, you're also helping fund the creation of more new MST3K, and helping us cover the cost of keeping the Gizmoplex – and our apps – available to everyone. Buying episodes keeps this whole machine going!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

rydiafan posted:

It's worth noting that not all episodes will be available to stream, because they don't have rights to stream all episodes. That's why they say "all available episodes". It also ties into a part of the email where Joel addresses the question of why people should buy episodes of they're all free anyway.

drat! I misread it... probably because the headline is ALL CLASSIC EPISODES and the word "available" comes later in the update...

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Breadallelogram posted:

don't hold your breath sport

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to the IGN article about the new season Kelsey Ann Brady has officially taken over as Emily's Crow. She had previously portrayed Crow during the most recent live tour after Nate Begle stepped down.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Time will tell, I very well could be wrong, but I think that’s just a mistake in the article. On the tour, she only played Crow for a couple weeks while Nate was on paternity leave, and afterwards he came back for the remainder of the tour. There are also pictures of him on set for the new season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joel seems to give people long paternity leaves and I'm glad.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Time will tell, I very well could be wrong, but I think that’s just a mistake in the article. On the tour, she only played Crow for a couple weeks while Nate was on paternity leave, and afterwards he came back for the remainder of the tour. There are also pictures of him on set for the new season.

Lesley the community manager just confirmed on the message board today that Begle is "no longer working with MST3K," and Brady is the new Crow for Emily's episodes. Someone asked if Begle's lines were being redubbed, and Lesley only said "no spoilers." So whatever happened must not have been acrimonious and there will be an on-show explanation for Crow's voice changing again.

I've always liked the joke that there were potentially dozens if not hundreds of Crows and Servos just hanging out on the ship off-camera (and one of each in Wisconsin), myself.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Weird. Maybe it’ll make more sense once it’s aired, but considering the season was shot (mostly) before the tour, it’ll be strange if he’s not playing Crow at all.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbf0ThPuPIl/?utm_medium=copy_link

To add to the confusion, here’s a photo of Kelsey Brady in the puppet trench during filming. This whole thing is very confusing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Could be wrong, but I'm thinking Nate filmed some segments of Emily's episodes, decided to quit before shooting was over, and Kelsey stepped in to finish it out.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

TL posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbf0ThPuPIl/?utm_medium=copy_link

To add to the confusion, here’s a photo of Kelsey Brady in the puppet trench during filming. This whole thing is very confusing.

They filmed the Holiday episode after the tour, so if Nate's on leave/gone then Kelsey could have been the riffer for that episode.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I mean, they're all great but Nate Begle really brought the right vibe to the show i thought. I'm also a dad who made big career sacrifices to be home with my kids and have zero regrets, so good for him.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I loved Nate in his guest appearances on Themed Alternative and in the MST3K Time Bubble live show, so I wish him the best.

Kelsey Brady liked one of my social media posts so she's cool too :shobon:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Nate is confirmed done

(https://forums.mst3k.com/t/nate-begle-replaced-by-kelsey-ann-brady/21840/22)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Aw, I loved Nate during the Kickstarter. I wish him the best ignoring thousands of msties asking why he left just leave the man alone dammit.

Can't wait to hear Kelsey.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crow does stand for Cybernetic Remotely Operated Woman. This is canon.

mst3k.fandom.com posted:

Once, Joel performed maintenance on Crow's RAM chips, and showed what he claimed was Crow's first memory. During the "memory", Joel explains that Crow's name is an acronym for "Cybernetic Remotely Operated Woman". Back in the present, Crow was shocked to discover that he's a woman, and instantly started worrying about the dishes and watching Thirtysomething. Joel chuckled and explained, "Take it easy, Crow. It's all just a real elaborate joke... I basically invented you to put that memory in and pull that joke on you." Crow calmed down, stating "So my life has been one big setup for a punchline? Boy, I feel like Morey Amsterdam."[1]

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Apparently, all of Begle's social media has also vanished or been scrubbed. I hope this doesn't portend ill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He did that a while back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Apparently, all of Begle's social media has also vanished or been scrubbed. I hope this doesn't portend ill.

I’ve seen people in other places online speculate on this as well, but without more info, the timeline is hard to make sense of unless it’s a coincidence.

He’s announced as a cast member last spring. They start filming in the Fall. The tour starts. Filming continues around November. He takes a few weeks off from the tour for paternity leave. They finish filming in the Winter. He comes back for the last few weeks of the tour. Then he disappears from social media around early or mid February.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I suppose this means I should probably go rip all those Disney specials he riffed over with the Defunctland guy before they disappear, huh? :sigh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Cross-Section posted:

I suppose this means I should probably go rip all those Disney specials he riffed over with the Defunctland guy before they disappear, huh? :sigh:

Keep circulating the tapes

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cross-Section posted:

Yes and also tell me more about this, I never knew Defunctland guy did some riffing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ballz posted:

Yes and also tell me more about this, I never knew Defunctland guy did some riffing.

Hazo linked to their channel a few posts up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lp9sObiJNk

They're all pretty fun though the pickings appear to be getting increasingly slim

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hazo posted:

I loved Nate in his guest appearances on Themed Alternative and in the MST3K Time Bubble live show, so I wish him the best.

Cross-Section posted:

Hazo linked to their channel a few posts up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lp9sObiJNk

They're all pretty fun though the pickings appear to be getting increasingly slim

Thanks for posting this, these are great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the one hand it's kind of a bummer because Nate seemed cool. It's none of my business, but I hope he just needed more stability than "touring puppet performer" and gave his notice. If he's scrubbing his social media, that honestly feels unlikely. It's going to be super weird if they dub over his riffing. I imagine they'll say something about it on the livestream for Emily's first episode, but it'll probably be similarly vague. Oh well.

On the other hand, Kelsey was already an understudy, so she's presumably already got some rapport with her cast, and I'm looking forward to seeing her Crow.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bruteman posted:

Thanks for posting this, these are great.

They're all incredible, but EPCOT Opening Day, The Living Seas, Magic Kingdom Christmas Special, and Space Mountain Grand Opening are the best.

I made shirt that said SKY PICKLES and wore it to EPCOT last Saturday. Nobody got the joke but I amused myself greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Hazo posted:

They're all incredible, but EPCOT Opening Day, The Living Seas, Magic Kingdom Christmas Special, and Space Mountain Grand Opening are the best.

I made shirt that said SKY PICKLES and wore it to EPCOT last Saturday. Nobody got the joke but I amused myself greatly.

I really love all the callback riffs they do to previous specials (Glenn Campbell, the evil Winnie the Pooh). Also the digs against Michael Eisner and the Disney family, as well as pointing out all of the now-questionable content involving the adults and the younger performers, just feels like authentic Joel-era dark stuff.

The Christmas, EPCOT and Living Seas are great, but that 10th anniversary one with Michael Keaton(!) and John Schneider ("Quit being a grammar Nazi, I'm trying to get laid!) was my favorite. Eileen Brennan's character in that one is loving amazing.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 25, 2022