Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

VelociBacon posted:

I looked a few pages deep and didn't see a dedicated BBQ thread. I finally bought a place, it has a patio, I'll need recommendations for a propane BBQ which will be used for regular grilling activities and not rotisserie or anything else that might necessitate a fancier setup. I assume that goons have strong opinions on BBQ stuff.

Budget is up to maybe $4-600 CAD (about $450 USD) I don' t really know how much these are supposed to cost or where the value point is. I'd be cooking for generally no more than 4-6 people and most commonly it'd be like 2-4 steaks and some veg or something like that. I would expect to need no more than 2-3 cooking zones (in terms of being able to adjust the heat independently). I would prefer something that doesn't have the side elements for a frying pan or whatnot. It would need wheels but I assume they all have them these days. Stainless steel rails (so they don't rust) are pretty much mandatory and very good heat regularity/no hot spots would be nice.

Open to learning which brands to avoid/look for also.

If you don’t get what you need here, the smoking thread will be able to help you I’m sure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&perpage=40&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a thread recommendation for a small induction burner?

I bought the cheap Duxtop 8100MC that everyone seems to buy, but it makes a high pitched noise that I can't hear but drives my girlfriend absolutely batshit insane. I tried a few different pots, some do it at every setting and some only do it at the higher settings. :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mine does that too :v: I don’t use it much tho. Would drive me crazy if I did it more often

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Less of a request and more of a clarification: any reasons not to get https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/dexam-carbon-steel-34-cm-wok for use as a wok on an electric stove? I've read a lot of disagreement on ideal wok thickness, but I'm not sure how much it'll really matter in the end. This seems to be the only thing that hits the mark of 1) cheap and 2) functional. I'm Canadian so a lot of online sources will cost an arm and leg thanks to shipping and the like. There's a fair number of restaurant supply stores but my working hours prohibit travel to them because they're basically only open when I work and they don't have functional websites, or the ones that do just stock things for proper gas burners. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a thread recommendation for a small induction burner?

I bought the cheap Duxtop 8100MC that everyone seems to buy, but it makes a high pitched noise that I can't hear but drives my girlfriend absolutely batshit insane. I tried a few different pots, some do it at every setting and some only do it at the higher settings. :smith:

I bought that one, had same experience, returned it, got nuwave gold, love it

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Mine does that too :v: I don’t use it much tho. Would drive me crazy if I did it more often

Thankfully I've got poo poo hearing :v:

BrianBoitano posted:

Perfect, thank you! Ordered one from Amazon. Worth a try :)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Kalsco posted:

Less of a request and more of a clarification: any reasons not to get https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/dexam-carbon-steel-34-cm-wok for use as a wok on an electric stove? I've read a lot of disagreement on ideal wok thickness, but I'm not sure how much it'll really matter in the end. This seems to be the only thing that hits the mark of 1) cheap and 2) functional. I'm Canadian so a lot of online sources will cost an arm and leg thanks to shipping and the like. There's a fair number of restaurant supply stores but my working hours prohibit travel to them because they're basically only open when I work and they don't have functional websites, or the ones that do just stock things for proper gas burners. Thanks!

I have a carbon steel wok and it works for what I use it for. I do prefer all metal woks versus ones with wooden handles because I don't have to worry about burning the handles when seasoning in the oven.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god this thread exists. I broke my KitchenAid Artisan 5 Quart stand mixer. I dropped the glass bowl and shattered. Previous to that I damaged the gearbox with cookie dough. It's always been a bit anemic for bread dough too. So I'm looking for something better. The KitchenAid 600 looks like an okay solution. I can keep using the auxiliary accessories I have which saves a little money. But I'm worried I'm going to have to have similar quality issues. Anyone have a decent commercial grade option? Trying to stay in the $600 range if possible.

mystes
May 31, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Thank god this thread exists. I broke my KitchenAid Artisan 5 Quart stand mixer. I dropped the glass bowl and shattered. Previous to that I damaged the gearbox with cookie dough. It's always been a bit anemic for bread dough too. So I'm looking for something better. The KitchenAid 600 looks like an okay solution. I can keep using the auxiliary accessories I have which saves a little money. But I'm worried I'm going to have to have similar quality issues. Anyone have a decent commercial grade option? Trying to stay in the $600 range if possible.
Can't you just get a replacement metal bowl?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If the gears are still hosed up, you can fairly easily repair them too

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I'm looking for a repair kit now. But KitchenAid stuff has gotten very expensive recently. The reason I got a glass bowl because the OG metal one's locking cams completely wore out and wobbled in the mixer. The glass one was the solution to that. When I got my first glass bowl it was $50ish. Now its $123. The stand mixers themselves are all over the place. I paid $200 for mine, it is now $430.

I did find refurbed Professional 600 on their website for $350. Hey KitchenAid, is everything good or?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Might be worth looking at ebay near you. The Kenwood I'm using atm was collection only with accessories and a metal bowl for £60, we put it in a rucksack and bought it home on the train. It would normally cost that just for the bowl.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I have the Pro 600 and it's fine if you aren't using it every day for making heavy dough and such. It has an AC motor and with tougher mixes it can slow and jerk and get really hot and you are supposed to let it rest and cool for short periods during heavy use.

If you have the means what you want to look for, from what I understand, are the mixers that have their power output displayed in HP. They use better quality constant speed DC motors and the gearing and drive mechanisms are higher quality metal parts without (or at least with fewer) plastic components. At the moment these are the Pro 6500 and the Pro Line models or the Commercial products.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

For people who are serious about bread dough, the recommendations are Bosch Universal Plus and Ankarsrum Original Mixer, in ascending order of price and excellence. I have the Bosch and I love it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I was gifted an end grain cutting board a while back and I thought I was taking pretty good care of it but apparently not; there's a tiny crack where one of the wood blocks was glued to another. Is this fixable or will it slowly widen over time until it splits the board?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

I was gifted an end grain cutting board a while back and I thought I was taking pretty good care of it but apparently not; there's a tiny crack where one of the wood blocks was glued to another. Is this fixable or will it slowly widen over time until it splits the board?

Its honestly going to be better for you to split it, flatten the edges with a planer or router, glue it, then press the joint together with a bunch of clamps. If you try and repair it, the repaired joint will continuously be under tension until it cracks again.

I went to go see what parts I needed for the KitchenAid

Turns out a shaft pin got loose and started smacking around the gearbox, making it sound like a gear was broken but wasn't.

I also found a KitchenAid 5 quart bowl in Walmart for $50. Immediately snatched it up. There was a lot of dust on the box making me think its old inventory not adjusted for current pricing.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 22, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I’ve previously repaired a cutting board by filling the cracks with food safe wood glue. Which is the thing holding it all together anyway.

Once the glue dries just lightly sand it down and remember to oil it now and then.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I also found a KitchenAid 5 quart bowl in Walmart for $50. Immediately snatched it up. There was a lot of dust on the box making me think its old inventory not adjusted for current pricing.

It's just a pre seasoned bowl - what a find! Do NOT put that in the dishwasher it strips the seasoning.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

therobit posted:

I already spend around $2500/mo on groceries for four people

what are you buying and where do you shop?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah I shop at a high end grocery store in Silicon Valley and $2,500/mo is still hot.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

barkbell posted:

what are you buying and where do you shop?

I libe in Portland. $300/wk at Costco, and a handful of stops at other stores that always wind up being $50/each minimum. I guess I get paper products and pet food on that total, and a bottle of wine or two a week and a case not beer every month or two. Might be closer to $2k unless it’s a five weekend month now that I think about it. It used to be a lot less but a lot of the stuff I buy is 30-50% more expensive now. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, and have meat for almost every dinner and most lunches. They want $10/lb for blueberries right now. To the extent that we eat things from packages, it is either like granola or convenience items like granola bars. My wife buys a little snack food as well. The cost of buying groceries has crowded out most of the eating out we used to do.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Blueberries at my grocery is just over $5/lb. This is in Denver.

~$7/meal seems very high to me. For two adults, my monthly bill is like $500-600. I eat >1lb meat in lean beef and chicken a day. The only convenience foods we buy are frozen burritos at like $3/burrito on sale.

e: I guess we get eggs and butter for free from work

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do you have like 8 kids

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Five dollars per pound for blueberries??? man I need to get out of the city.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Portland is smaller than Denver. Does Portland have a more difficult time getting foods or something?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am single and get by on $20-45 a week for groceries. Not as a point of error though, I could be on the absolute other end of the spectrum. I batch cook and meal prep exclusively.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I eat gold and poo poo diamonds

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Chemmy posted:

Yeah I shop at a high end grocery store in Silicon Valley and $2,500/mo is still hot.

This is my monthly liquor budget

mystes
May 31, 2006

Food has gotten more expensive but if you're spending $30k/year on groceries despite actively trying to spend less, you're not doing a very good job. Maybe consider posting an example receipt if you want actual advice on how to reduce your food costs. If you're living alone it's pretty easy to end up spending too much if you aren't careful and buy stuff that you can't use up but with 4 people it should probably average out to less per person normally.

However, in general, I would guess that even if you're making some effort to buy cheaper stuff in some cases, you are fundamentally not using price as a factor in initially determining what to buy or make. While there may be low hanging fruit before that, if this is correct, you can probably massively reduce your expenditures just buy planning more meals that use cheaper cuts of meat and don't require purchases of additional spices/condiments or things like that.

If you're throwing stuff out, you can also try to plan your meals better to make use of everything.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 22, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah also consider that buying out of season fruit like blueberries in March, are going to be insanely overpriced at 10/lb or whatever.

You probably have a winco somewhere nearby. Try them out, their prices are so much more affordable and they're employee owned

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get frozen fruit, they’re picked at the peak of quality and stay good forever

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Costco

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Get frozen fruit, they’re picked at the peak of quality and stay good forever

Let me know when you can defrost frozen blueberries and eat them out of hand just like fresh.

If you want to make a muffin or something then sure, use frozen, but they aren’t really the same.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrianBoitano posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

Thankfully I've got poo poo hearing :v:

Perfect, thank you! Ordered one from Amazon. Worth a try :)

Sucks, she can hear that one too. Used to have access to a Vollrath Mirage Pro that she couldn't hear but lol if I'm going to spend $700 on one. :smith:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:smith: maybe with a different pan? I've heard some clad pans or those with a certain resonant frequency can be worse...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I just want to say that frozen blueberries are a delicious treat to eat straight out of the freezer, although I prefer to buy fresh and then freeze myself. Raspberry’s p good too. Blackberries just okay tho

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pan/induction wine can also be noise in your electrical line. Even with professional fancy induction units like the polysci would make god-awful squeals and other noises on most power settings until I moved somewhere that wasn’t wired a century ago and in an area rife with poorly maintained infrastructure/rats nests of wires hanging off houses/poles.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 23, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ve noticed my induction whines until the pan gets hot, after that it’s completely quiet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Murgos posted:

I’ve noticed my induction whines until the pan gets hot, after that it’s completely quiet.

Any ideas if induction stoves also whine? My duxtop stand alone burner definitely whines a ton, but I’m in the market for a new stove and it’s gotta be electric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my frigidaire induction range whines a lot