Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mister Facetious posted:

If you can get past the rocky framerate of the demo or you have a hackable Switch you can run overclocked, it might be worth $15.

I keep thinking about getting it on Switch because I couldn't tolerate my decent PC getting rocky framerates on this game. That kept taking me out of it. Not that I'm a '60 FPS or Bust' kind of person but if the game not being smooth is just signature to the whole experience then I might just pass on it for good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Palmtree Panic posted:

Did BotW have fishing? I just bombed the water and collected my fish carcasses.
Truly the best fishing. One might say the only good fishing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I decided I'd finish up the second Voice of Cards before Kirby drops tonight, since I was already in the final dungeon. This game is much better than the first, not that the first was bad, it was great, but most of my complaints about the first one were fixed in this one. It's harder. Way harder. I came very close to wiping in the final boss gauntlet on the Ivory/Azure Spirit fight which was tougher than the final boss. Apparently the post-game boss is supposed to be incredibly hard too, though I haven't tried it yet. Still, battles actually require strategy and preparation in this game, unlike the first one where you could just throw your strongest attacks at any enemy and come out just fine.

Well okay, there is one thing about the second game that's worse than the first: the Game Master. He's nowhere near as good as the guy in the first game. He actually kind of sounds like one of the announcers during the Nintendo Directs, which really was distracting. I wish they'd had the first guy come back. Other than that, this game was fantastic and definitely worth it.

Yoko Taro went kinda light in the first game. He went hard in this one. I fully admit it's easy to get me to cry but goddamn the ending on this one.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Did BotW have fishing? I just bombed the water and collected my fish carcasses.

I was a lightning arrow man myself. I know, I know, bombs are free and limitless, but I loved that sweet sweet yellow lightning.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you like combat and obstacle courses? Do you like collecting poo poo to raise stats/abilities?

Do you like Waldorf and Statler?

If you can get past the rocky framerate of the demo or you have a hackable Switch you can run overclocked, it might be worth $15.

Fair warning, Fenix's controls are absolute garbage in handheld mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Murdstone posted:

Huh you can lose at Triangle Strategy. Like they let you reload the save and try again but you can get a “game over you lose.”

You don’t reload your save. It keeps all the exp and kudos while letting you start over. I’ve lost several times on maps with specific objectives like “keep this one person alive” or “Don’t let any enemies escape”

Edit: there are mock battles where you have to win within x turns and one in NG+ where you can’t let a single unit die. Also NG+ is generally very difficult and punishing so yeah, it’s easy to get a game over later on.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 25, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Fair warning, Fenix's controls are absolute garbage in handheld mode.

They're completely remappable in game iirc.

But by the time I got annoyed enough to remap them, I was too used to them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay the post-game boss in the second Voice of Cards is incredibly loving hard. Two enemies with 500 HP, one of them has nearly 50 attack power, both of them can do an attack that deals a flat 35 HP damage, and both of them have aoe attacks, meaning they can and will just bring a character from full HP to dead with nothing you can do about it (sometimes two characters in one turn if both of them decide to use the flat damage attack and you have two low party members). Oh yeah they both also have a drain attack and a self heal/status removal move, because why not!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did you try trusting in the heart of the cards

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You don’t reload your save. It keeps all the exp and kudos while letting you start over. I’ve lost several times on maps with specific objectives like “keep this one person alive” or “Don’t let any enemies escape”

Edit: there are mock battles where you have to win within x turns and one in NG+ where you can’t let a single unit die. Also NG+ is generally very difficult and punishing so yeah, it’s easy to get a game over later on.
No I don't mean lose a battle I know about that. I mean I failed to do something that was necessary to advance the story in a non-battle scenario, and I got a game over. Spoiling is probably overkill here but since it's a new game: The characters made speeches about taking their last stand together, and then the map came up and the narrator explained that they all died and the world fell into bloody conflict. Then it said I lost and the game was over but I could reload the last autosave to get back to where I could do the thing I didn't do.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kirby’s out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Araxxor posted:

Kirby’s out.

Proud of him.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I cant believe they finally did it, the crazy bastards, they made a cutscene where Kirby fucks.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Araxxor posted:

Kirby’s out.

For Harambe

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh hell yeah, Kirby day. I can stop playing Elden Ring and play Kirby and Gran Turismo 7.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Happy Kirby day!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Can I get some opinions on:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

on the Switch? Trying to sort through some of the less obvious stuff on the eShop.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I love when Kirby

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

nemesis_hub posted:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

on the Switch? Trying to sort through some of the less obvious stuff on the eShop.

Katana Zero is Hotline Miami but this time you might be a PTSD nerd weeb sleeper agent instead of might being a PTSD nerd furry sleeper agent

EDIT: gameplay wise on the Switch: aiming is a bit harder because it's with the stick instead of a mouse. Other than that it's alright

Solar Tornado fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

nemesis_hub posted:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

I’ve only played Ender Lillies out of these but it was a 9/10 for me. It’s a metroidvania with some great art direction, some really cool environments and solid mechanics. I think it was a 30-35 hour playthrough at least, it’s been a couple months now.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

Crosscode was a fun SNES love-letter action RPG, but I ran out of steam and never finished it. Puzzles could be tough at times.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

Crosscode is one of my favorite games ever. Ender Lilies and Katana Zero are good. Yooka-Laylee sucks. Dunno the others.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
horace is good. Also very British, whether that's a pro or a con is for you to decide

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really getting into the FFX Sidequests post game. I am using a guide because I'm not 12 anymore and it's just so much to do. I just finally got what I needed to make a No Encounters weapon and I'm psyched to try out the Lightning mini-game. Just like trying to get pumped for it, and I'm going to give it a solid go hopefully later this weekend, and if it gets annoying I'll stop. I'm pretty sure I can beat the game with just mixing bullshit but I've always like getting the Best Weapons and Summons in FF at the very least.

The Extra Bosses I'll probably pass for now.

I'll go for the other Celestial Weapons otherwise, if they're not too bad. At any rate, now that there are no longer constant cut-scenes it's nice to have it for pick up and play. I don't feel like I'm cutting sequences in half if I don't sit down and play for a solid chunk at a time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm really getting into the FFX Sidequests post game. I am using a guide because I'm not 12 anymore and it's just so much to do. I just finally got what I needed to make a No Encounters weapon and I'm psyched to try out the Lightning mini-game. Just like trying to get pumped for it, and I'm going to give it a solid go hopefully later this weekend, and if it gets annoying I'll stop. I'm pretty sure I can beat the game with just mixing bullshit but I've always like getting the Best Weapons and Summons in FF at the very least.

I'll go for the other Celestial Weapons otherwise, if they're not too bad. At any rate, now that there are no longer constant cut-scenes it's nice to have it for pick up and play. I don't feel like I'm cutting sequences in half if I don't sit down and play for a solid chunk at a time.

:dudsmile:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Switch needs a spiderman collection
https://youtu.be/re3-pJs_9_I

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How I did it back in college is I found a spot that had lightning strikes at a pretty consistent rate. I don't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere south of the Travel Agency and near... a small pool or crater?

I counted how many lightning strikes happened in a minute, and extrapolated that to how long it would take me to hit 200. iirc turned out to be about 20 minutes. I turned the lights off and just zoned out for 20 minutes, sinking into a Zen-like state where I could only see the clock on my bedstand and the flashes of light.

Ended up missing one just after the 20-minute mark, frantically ran back to the Travel Agency to check the journal and I had hit exactly 200. :woop:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Murdstone posted:

No I don't mean lose a battle I know about that. I mean I failed to do something that was necessary to advance the story in a non-battle scenario, and I got a game over. Spoiling is probably overkill here but since it's a new game: The characters made speeches about taking their last stand together, and then the map came up and the narrator explained that they all died and the world fell into bloody conflict. Then it said I lost and the game was over but I could reload the last autosave to get back to where I could do the thing I didn't do.

Yeah I knew about that. There’s one part where you have to find something in the Rosellen Village and if you pick the wrong thing you just straight up get a game over lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Did anyone get persona Ultimax

There’s no way it has rollback net code right? I’m kinda considering it for $30 I loved that game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There’s no way it has rollback net code right? I’m kinda considering it for $30 I loved that game

Actually they announced they’re gonna patch it into pc and PS4 versions drat!!! Not at release. I think I might play this again

Still no idea on switch tho

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

How I did it back in college is I found a spot that had lightning strikes at a pretty consistent rate. I don't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere south of the Travel Agency and near... a small pool or crater?

I counted how many lightning strikes happened in a minute, and extrapolated that to how long it would take me to hit 200. iirc turned out to be about 20 minutes. I turned the lights off and just zoned out for 20 minutes, sinking into a Zen-like state where I could only see the clock on my bedstand and the flashes of light.

Ended up missing one just after the 20-minute mark, frantically ran back to the Travel Agency to check the journal and I had hit exactly 200. :woop:

Yeah I’ve seen that area mentioned in how-to guides as well as that time.

I’m viewing it like the dash challenge in Hyper Light Dasher which was such a cool state of mind to get into. Hopefully it’ll be as zen for me. I’ll try with a podcast at first but if I got to go full focus I will. I’ll invest no more than2 hours and that feels generous.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cyber Shadow is really good. I think it was the game people wanted The Messenger to be.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Murdstone posted:

Huh you can lose at Triangle Strategy. Like they let you reload the save and try again but you can get a “game over you lose.”

Not if you git gud

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
In case anyone is wondering, Breath of the Wild is still very good. I just found out!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

In case anyone is wondering, Breath of the Wild is still very good. I just found out!!

Classic game.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

nemesis_hub posted:

Cyber Shadow
Ender Lillies
Crosscode
Katana Zero
Yooka-Laylee
Horace

Katana Zero is a pretty fun 2d stealth game. Yooka-Laylee I have on PC and it is not good.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
impossible lair is good. the original yooka-laylee is not good

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

P4U rules, the netcode was kinda dodgy on the ps3 so hopefully the rerelease uses the far superior Strive netcode

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I always get yoku's island express, an extremely good game, confused with yooka laylee, a game I have not played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

impossible lair is good. the original yooka-laylee is not good

I like it, but I am also a gigantic sucker for N64-era collectathons. Like, Yooka-Laylee is aimed right at me. It was made for me, and I love it.