Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Joementum posted:

it is very good

the sequels less so

watching rn

https://youtu.be/v6-K-arVl-U

made me think of this

https://youtu.be/1dmlwhaEEgE

yeah this is the cspam covid doc i envisioned but with more lols and lmaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

telling the job tomorrow of my intention to hit da bricks

new gig is fully remote and a 20% raise

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off

loving awesome, good on you. relax as much as you can and hopefully don't stress your ticker any more than it has to be.

shelves looking suspiciously well stocked at the moment in eastern GA so I assume everyone is about to start dying in droves again

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Toaster Beef posted:

impetus to look for it was asking to only work two days a week in the office instead of three (i'm a heart patient, any reduction in potential exposure is a good thing) and basically being told to gently caress off

so i'm loving off

give them 2/3rds of a 2 week notice

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

so i'm loving off

Nice. gently caress these rear end in chair companies.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lacrosse posted:

Cross-posting from the econ thread: have you checked your bean hoard lately?

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1507050109904863236?s=20&t=MICgtZ3i6lvgT0Oa_HW5fA

Checking off all the horsemen.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

it's gonna be real, it's gonna be fun, but it ain't gonna be real fun

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1507090367551885316?s=20&t=V3YJxl8QR-PA8T7S68XPtQ

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Toaster Beef posted:

so i'm loving off

hell yeah my dude, way to go and good luck

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just booked some concert tickets late May at an indoor venue for the first time since 2019. I’m so glad this nightmare is over

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

I suspect the point of this article isn't the non-mystery mystery:

The answer is that kids have comparatively strong innate immune response.

The bad news is that immune memory to coronaviruses is presidentially awful.

We knew this in 2020.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Mar 25, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

wow they sure think public schools are important, i wonder if they feel the same about funding them

kids when learn bootstrapping by selling lemonade to clear their classmates' lunch debts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joementum posted:

"experts" weighing in on 4th shots

It’s demented.

The only indicator they will accept for the prudence of intervention is people dying.

“Should we declare a snow day? Not till we get at least two confirmed reports of fatal crashes on the highway.”

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Nocturtle posted:

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. I've been summarizing PASC research studies for my own understanding and previously posted my notes in the old thread but thought worth posting here too in case it's of interest. Please let me know if you're aware of any large scale PASC study not included here, I'd be interested in learning more.

This is awesome, thank you for this, I added it to the OP.

Thoguh posted:

Should add this to the OP IMHO

Agreed! Added.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

Holy god these guys are assholes. They know exactly the implications of PASC too.

Also 78% effectiveness against hospitalization is garbage given how the long term impact risks scale up for those cases.

Even if the vaccine fairy secretly jabbed everyone in the night, COVID would still be many times worse than the flu.

Welcome to the new normal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gio posted:

so i know lol goon project, but ive thought a lot about what a cspam covid doc would be like.

i have zero knowledge of how to do this but my IDEA was that it would have zero narration, zero interviews, zero Expose type poo poo—just a collection of videos that highlight the contradictions of this bizarre reality, like videos of freezer truck morgues with people partying it up.

i mean thats all i got. basically two hours of morgues and packed ICUs juxtaposed with people partying. with IRONIC song choices like black eyed peas and poo poo.

Basically a two-hour version of these?

https://vimeo.com/585640069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fdw05xTmQo

Would be interesting to really get in there with the predictions, showing the endless cycle of "This is the last wave" and "Nobody saw this coming!"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
btw thanks to anybody who said they liked the OP it makes me happy if you guys find it good or useful.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trixie Hardcore posted:

btw thanks to anybody who said they liked the OP it makes me happy if you guys find it good or useful.

a good op, ofc

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It is a nice OP but all that work you put into it is kinda dumb when COVID is over. No offense.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

it's probably one of our best Covid Thread OPs, all except the one thing you missed ;_;

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It's year 3 of the pandemic, stop trying to filter air already and start sterilizing it:

quote:

Published: 23 March 2022
Far-UVC (222 nm) efficiently inactivates an airborne pathogen in a room-sized chamber

Abstract
Many infectious diseases, including COVID-19, are transmitted by airborne pathogens. There is a need for effective environmental control measures which, ideally, are not reliant on human behaviour. One potential solution is Krypton Chloride (KrCl) excimer lamps (often referred to as Far-UVC), which can efficiently inactivate pathogens, such as coronaviruses and influenza, in air. Research demonstrates that when KrCl lamps are filtered to remove longer-wavelength ultraviolet emissions they do not induce acute reactions in the skin or eyes, nor delayed effects such as skin cancer. While there is laboratory evidence for Far-UVC efficacy, there is limited evidence in full-sized rooms. For the first time, we show that Far-UVC deployed in a room-sized chamber effectively inactivates aerosolised Staphylococcus aureus. At a room ventilation rate of 3 air-changes-per-hour (ACH), with 5 filtered-sources the steady-state pathogen load was reduced by 98.4% providing an additional 184 equivalent air changes (eACH). This reduction was achieved using Far-UVC irradiances consistent with current American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists threshold limit values for skin for a continuous 8-h exposure. Our data indicate that Far-UVC is likely to be more effective against common airborne viruses, including SARS-CoV-2, than bacteria and should thus be an effective and “hands-off” technology to reduce airborne disease transmission. The findings provide room-scale data to support the design and development of effective Far-UVC systems.
Pretty sure you need to be in the middle of a tornado to get 184 equivalent air changes per hour otherwise. You'd go deaf running that many Corsi cubes to get an equivalent rate.

Seriously though, people itt are keen to adopt every half-reasonable protection but please note before buying a KrCl lamp off ebay that the higher wavelength component really must be filtered for the lamp to be safe:

This isn't something that can be just rigged up without some expertise, you don't want the green line.

A larger point is public spaces could be made safe with fairly simple mitigations if there was a will, even with endemic COVID. I've whined a LOT through various iterations of this thread about the challenges living in an apartment building with young children, for whom real respirators don't exist, while a hyper-infectious viral disease could be floating around shared indoor hallways and elevators for long periods of time. Not to even mention how any trip to the hospital is seriously risking COVID for the forseeable future. This kind of UV system would effectively and inexpensively solve that problem, and better ventilation + required indoor masking would make it safer still. Instead society is choosing to believe the problem isn't there and failing to deploy even these simple measures, despite clear warning signs of the significant disease burden that will result.

Semi-related mask usage in the apt building is declining, thanks CDC.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trixie Hardcore posted:

RESPIRATOR INFO
it appeals to some folks
This section is a copy paste from the previous thread of more indepth respirator info and reviews as such it may contain outdated info and links

Thanks so much for this. Good to have in one's bugout bag too!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I wonder if the extreme asymptomatic:symptomatic ratio is in part by lag under exponential growth.

That is, people who are symptomatic caught the virus something like three days earlier than those who are asymptomatic. If the virus is spreading quickly in the community, the number of people infected on day d versus day d+3 may be very different.

This would be a bad sign.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

fosborb posted:

a good op, ofc

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

New thread, new day for South Korea with another 339k cases! :sun:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

fosborb posted:

a good op, ofc

hear, hear!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Nocturtle posted:

It's year 3 of the pandemic, stop trying to filter air already and start sterilizing it:

Pretty sure you need to be in the middle of a tornado to get 184 equivalent air changes per hour otherwise. You'd go deaf running that many Corsi cubes to get an equivalent rate.

Seriously though, people itt are keen to adopt every half-reasonable protection but please note before buying a KrCl lamp off ebay that the higher wavelength component really must be filtered for the lamp to be safe:

This isn't something that can be just rigged up without some expertise, you don't want the green line.

A larger point is public spaces could be made safe with fairly simple mitigations if there was a will, even with endemic COVID. I've whined a LOT through various iterations of this thread about the challenges living in an apartment building with young children, for whom real respirators don't exist, while a hyper-infectious viral disease could be floating around shared indoor hallways and elevators for long periods of time. Not to even mention how any trip to the hospital is seriously risking COVID for the forseeable future. This kind of UV system would effectively and inexpensively solve that problem, and better ventilation + required indoor masking would make it safer still. Instead society is choosing to believe the problem isn't there and failing to deploy even these simple measures, despite clear warning signs of the significant disease burden that will result.

oh poo poo I am absolutely recommending this at work

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Coldrice posted:

it's probably one of our best Covid Thread OPs, all except the one thing you missed ;_;

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Trixie Hardcore posted:

it's a real good OP. the best, the classiest :yooge:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Thanks for it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nocturtle posted:

The downside is that krypto-chloride excimer lamps are expensive. Some brief searching put them at $600-$750 just for the bulb. I guess it's expensive to fractionally distill a 1ppm gas out of liquid air, huh.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hello new covid thread
Well, my sister and her husband have covid now, me and my husband still haven't had covid, so that's good.
I gave up reading the old thread to play Skyrim instead, it's been fun.

How are you all doing?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Chamale posted:

Basically a two-hour version of these?

https://vimeo.com/585640069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fdw05xTmQo

Would be interesting to really get in there with the predictions, showing the endless cycle of "This is the last wave" and "Nobody saw this coming!"

lol were these made by people itt?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

glad to see a new thread and hoping that maybe this one will include some discussion of whether long covid causes memory loss

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

5th shot went down real smooth. No real issues. Pfizer is like the bud light of vaccines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thesaurus posted:

5th shot went down real smooth. No real issues. Pfizer is like the bud light of vaccines.

Reported for antivaccine sentiments.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Reported for antivaccine sentiments.

I'm just saying they with my first three full doses of modernas, i really felt that poo poo. Feverish etc. The two recent Pfizer's have been very MILD, so i hope they're working their magic

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Jesus christ. I'm considering quitting my job and right now the cheapest health insurance plan I can find on the "marketplace" here has a $479/mo. premium, with a $17,500 family OOP deductible, WITHOUT dental or vision coverage

this country is loving insane(ly garbage)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ex post facho posted:

Jesus christ. I'm considering quitting my job and right now the cheapest health insurance plan I can find on the "marketplace" here has a $479/mo. premium, with a $17,500 family OOP deductible, WITHOUT dental or vision coverage

this country is loving insane(ly garbage)

where else u think the geedeepees come from

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Toaster Beef posted:

so i'm loving off
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also, how do you even add dental and vision coverage?? all of the plans say "not included" and there's no option to add them?