Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spend it on expensive snacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's enough to get the titanium chopsticks

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Get the exped megamat if you want a new blowup mattress that will make you want to car camp more because it’s 90% as good as sleeping on your mattress at home.

Relatively pricey, but seriously one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while (and I learned of it from this thread)!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Brother Tadger posted:

Get the exped megamat if you want a new blowup mattress that will make you want to car camp more because it’s 90% as good as sleeping on your mattress at home.

If I'm camping with a family of 4 in a subaru outback and I try to get two of the double size exped megamat's. How much trunk space is that going to take up? Do they pack down to any kind of reasonable size? Kid's are 7 and 9, so I can put the sleeping bags in the footwells of the backseats and it's kind of a foot rest for them. Will the megamat's fit in there too? Or are they just big unwieldy things which is why they are so comfortable?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hdip posted:

If I'm camping with a family of 4 in a subaru outback and I try to get two of the double size exped megamat's. How much trunk space is that going to take up? Do they pack down to any kind of reasonable size? Kid's are 7 and 9, so I can put the sleeping bags in the footwells of the backseats and it's kind of a foot rest for them. Will the megamat's fit in there too? Or are they just big unwieldy things which is why they are so comfortable?

Open size: 77.6 x 30.3 x 3.9 inches, Packed Size: 31.1 x 9.8 inches

Surprisingly small packed, doesn't seem much bigger than the sleeping pads I got at Costco.

$30 Costco Lightspeed:
Open size: 74.5 x 25 x 3 ; Rolled size: 26.5 x 7 inches;

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 23, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Inov8 makes wide and high toeboxes too. Look for at least size 4 or size 5 from them. (Their width scale is from 1-5). 5 is wider than Crocs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Hdip posted:

If I try to get two of the double size exped megamat's. How much trunk space is that going to take up?

Pretty good amount given that the double size is pretty long; I’ve got two singles for my wife and I and it’s way more manageable. Having said that, because they are not that thick of a tube when deflated, you can squish it in as your final items on the top of all your other gear in the rear of your car if you are willing to lose some center mirror utility. Good night’s sleep is worth it imo

E. Also, I think the measurements the poster above posted are for the single not the double. I think the double is roughly double the width of the single, although I’m sure REI’s website has the measurements if it really matters

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I lost my handy Columbia booney hat on a trip last week, I got it cheap eons ago and grew to like it. Good for preventing sunburn on my increasingly naked scalp, and usable in rain to keep water off my glasses. Wasn't waterproof at all, took ages to dry, but it functioned okay and was more comfortable than hoods on a rain jacket.

It's time to shop around to see if there's any gems out there that might be better. My only real requirement be that it can handle being stuffed into a bag and the brim keeps its shape (old one was getting increasingly wrinkled over the years). And a 360 brim for max sun avoidance. Shedding water better would be a nice bonus. I'm not sure I'd be happy with a neck flap.

Suggestions?

xzzy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 23, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got a $15 one on Amazon that does all of that but the snaps eventually rust.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have also tried others and not found anything better than the Columbia one.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve got a lightweight TNF boonie hat that I picked up in Japan a few summers back. As a bald ginger I’ve been to rocking boonies for awhile, it’s by far my favorite. The color way was a Japan exclusive but I’m pretty sure this is the hat. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/horizon-breeze-brimmer-hat-nf0a5fx6

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One of those? They are a bit more waterproof if you treat the brim and the edge between brim and hat with beeswax/greenland wax.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/group/boonie-hats/104

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have the Särma TST one, it's quite nice.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've got about a $20 dividend and the 20% off coupon for REI.

A friend of mine invited me to a regional Burning Man event in a couple of months. I've already got a Kingdom 4 tent, cheapo sleeping bag, a little cooler, hiking pack, and a camelbak. I was thinking about getting a Kingdom cot, or maybe one of the Mega mats that was mentioned a few posts back. Is there anyone who has been to one of these type events and knows if there is something glaringly obvious that I should be getting?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Shankel Magnus posted:

A friend of mine invited me to a regional Burning Man event in a couple of months. I've already got a Kingdom 4 tent, cheapo sleeping bag, a little cooler, hiking pack, and a camelbak. I was thinking about getting a Kingdom cot, or maybe one of the Mega mats that was mentioned a few posts back. Is there anyone who has been to one of these type events and knows if there is something glaringly obvious that I should be getting?

Maybe a stove of some type?

Comedy answer: Hantavirus. Or a social disease.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Penicillin

highme
May 25, 2001

Shankel Magnus posted:

Megamat has probably been one of my most used pieces of gear since getting it. It was perfect for winter camping in my Astro. Friends' kids slept on it every time they visited. If there's ever a chance you might be sharing your sleeping arrangements with somebody the REI queen sized mats are pretty awesome too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Depending on how sloppy you expect to get at burning man, a raised cot may not be a bad idea since there is no way to pop it ;)

Terminus
May 6, 2008

Shankel Magnus posted:

As a person who has probably been to too many of these I'd say whatever helps you get a good nights sleep would be best, so either the cot or the matt depending on preference. Easy packability when you leave is also a plus. Earplugs as well if you're a light sleeper. The music tends to stop at maybe 2 AM. Some events have quiet areas so your mileage may vary.
Flashlights and headlamps are useful as well. Porta potties don't tend to be well lit. Just be careful to keep it aimed away from people's eyes if you go for the headlamp option. Hippy mace is real.
Since it wasn't mentioned in you gear already a camp chair is also super useful. It's doubtful it will be travelling far so I'd go for comfort over portability.
Consider this to be car camping with some light hiking and you should be fine. Just don't be the guy in our camp that only brought 3 socks and then cooked two of them to a crisp trying to dry them next to the camp fire.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mrs Rice has agreed to go hiking and canoe/kayak camping this year. We have $56 in REI rewards, and I'm trying to figure out what other gear she needs.
She has a pack, hiking boots, PFD, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, trekking poles, dinnerware & flatware, and a headlamp.
I'll be carrying the tent, water filtration, gas, and stove. She has no interest in anything that would require an knife.
Pretty sure she has a WP shell and appropriate hiking socks, but still need to double check.
Any thoughts?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

First aid kit?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used my dividend on a spork and a water bottle for my kids. I got myself some tent guy lines and Coughlan's G.I. can openers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PokeJoe posted:

First aid kit?

That's a good idea. I have a multi-person one for my pack, but it doesn't hurt to carry another.

Can probably find something she wants/needs wandering the garage sale, too.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We started taking our 3-year old daughter camping last year. Nothing serious, we've just taken her camping in my in-laws' backyard one (1) time, and that's probably what we'll be doing for a bit, though eventually we would like to take her on "real" camping trips. We were thinking of getting her her own sleeping bag as a present. I don't think we need anything heavy duty, not like she's going to be doing cold-weather camping in the near future, probably spring and summer and maybe very early fall. Anything in particular to recommend? Should I just get her a light sleeping bag with a favorite TV show character? Something from REI's Kindercamp line, or similar from other manufacturers?

Same question about sleeping pads, I haven't talked to my wife about it but if she's going to be sleeping in her own bag (in the same tent with us), we should probably get her a pad. Again, REI makes a Kindercamp one, although as I mentioned a while ago, I wasn't very happy with my REI brand Thermarest clone.

Size and weight are non-factors, none of this gear will ever, ever be carried except from the car door to the tent door.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

guppy posted:

We started taking our 3-year old daughter camping last year. Nothing serious, we've just taken her camping in my in-laws' backyard one (1) time, and that's probably what we'll be doing for a bit, though eventually we would like to take her on "real" camping trips. We were thinking of getting her her own sleeping bag as a present. I don't think we need anything heavy duty, not like she's going to be doing cold-weather camping in the near future, probably spring and summer and maybe very early fall. Anything in particular to recommend? Should I just get her a light sleeping bag with a favorite TV show character? Something from REI's Kindercamp line, or similar from other manufacturers?

Same question about sleeping pads, I haven't talked to my wife about it but if she's going to be sleeping in her own bag (in the same tent with us), we should probably get her a pad. Again, REI makes a Kindercamp one, although as I mentioned a while ago, I wasn't very happy with my REI brand Thermarest clone.

Size and weight are non-factors, none of this gear will ever, ever be carried except from the car door to the tent door.

The KinderCone has been amazing for our kid, 1.5 when we got it but now 3, including her first backpacking trip (for which it is quite big, but it works) and nights with 25 degree lows. We use our old spare sleeping pad underneath it.

Before she was 1.5 we would shove her into our bags with us.

E: some of you may recall my recent rough cold night, my kid was fine that same night in the kindercone. To be sure i put my jacket on her too.

Pad wise just get a cheap small thermarest z-lite, imo.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 28, 2022

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. The first time I ever went camping I used a Ridge Rest and had an absolutely miserable time, so I am really gunshy about closed-cell pads, so I am unlikely to go that route. Don't have to carry this thing, so I'm probably going to go with something inflatable.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$16 Twix 36ct full size (woot)

I like candy bars on a hike.

My typical 24 hour food is:

Breakfast: oatmeal and coffee

Lunch: Knorr noodles (they have bacon Mac and cheese now)

Dinner: freeze-dried meal

Snacks: 2 candy bars or pop tarts.

I put each day in a ziplock so I can just grab one a day and I have a handy trash bag. I do a variety of Knorr noodles(some rice-a-roni) and freeze dried meals so they don't get blah on me. Knorr is a dollar so that's why I go with those for one meal. Wouldn't want to eat them all the time so I grab the freeze dried meals when they are on sale (basically never)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Lmao at this picture:

That deal is tempting, though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Mrs Rice has agreed to go hiking and canoe/kayak camping this year. We have $56 in REI rewards, and I'm trying to figure out what other gear she needs.
She has a pack, hiking boots, PFD, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, trekking poles, dinnerware & flatware, and a headlamp.
I'll be carrying the tent, water filtration, gas, and stove. She has no interest in anything that would require an knife.
Pretty sure she has a WP shell and appropriate hiking socks, but still need to double check.
Any thoughts?

Wool baselayers are nice for people who are new to this kind of thing (or anyone, really), since it's nice to avoid the stank of synthetic baselayers after 2-3 days.

Synthetics do dry a bit faster though, so maybe those are preferred for canoe/kayak camping idk

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Terminus posted:

As a person who has probably been to too many of these I'd say whatever helps you get a good nights sleep would be best, so either the cot or the matt depending on preference. Easy packability when you leave is also a plus. Earplugs as well if you're a light sleeper. The music tends to stop at maybe 2 AM. Some events have quiet areas so your mileage may vary.
Flashlights and headlamps are useful as well. Porta potties don't tend to be well lit. Just be careful to keep it aimed away from people's eyes if you go for the headlamp option. Hippy mace is real.
Since it wasn't mentioned in you gear already a camp chair is also super useful. It's doubtful it will be travelling far so I'd go for comfort over portability.
Consider this to be car camping with some light hiking and you should be fine. Just don't be the guy in our camp that only brought 3 socks and then cooked two of them to a crisp trying to dry them next to the camp fire.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I'm a crazy light sleeper, so I'm going to give that mat a try. Also, good call on the ear plugs.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Sleeping pad chat - Folks here were discussing the Exped MegaMat a few posts ago, and I'm looking to pick up a luxury car camping pad today while that 20% off at REI is still good. Are people raving about the MegaMat 10 or is it the 15? Seems to me like the 10 is plenty thick enough, but I figured I should ask before pulling the trigger here.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dick Burglar posted:

Lmao at this picture:

That deal is tempting, though.

I prefer Snickers or baby Ruth, but I like variety.

There's $10 Reese's Pumpkins, King Size, 18 Bars but I feel like they would get mushed in my fanny pack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anything chocolate on a trail sounds miserable to me, it's gonna turn into a gooey mess by noon.

Unless we're doing winter hiking.. in which case it's going to be a tooth shattering brick.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Twix are actually great in the cold, frozen Snickers can definitely end in dental work though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

Anything chocolate on a trail sounds miserable to me, it's gonna turn into a gooey mess by noon.
This becomes an amazing solid mass of goodness when the chocolate melts and resolidifies.

highme
May 25, 2001

armorer posted:

Sleeping pad chat - Folks here were discussing the Exped MegaMat a few posts ago, and I'm looking to pick up a luxury car camping pad today while that 20% off at REI is still good. Are people raving about the MegaMat 10 or is it the 15? Seems to me like the 10 is plenty thick enough, but I figured I should ask before pulling the trigger here.

I believe mine is the 10 and is perfect.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

its all nice on rice posted:

Any thoughts?

I got a little soft shell cooler that can keep a couple nights of fresh food and some brewskis (frozen, so they double as ice packs). One of the great perks of canoe camping is you aren't carrying your gear far, and it's nice to celebrate the first night out with a nice meal that doesn't require the prep involved with dehydrating.

On less intense trips we also spend enough time swimming that it's nice to have a floating ball to toss around too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used my Outlet coupon on a backpack.

I already have too many backpacks that I don't use.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

highme posted:

I believe mine is the 10 and is perfect.

Yea, megamat10 is what I’ve got and I don’t think I’d ever really need more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FogHelmut posted:

I used my Outlet coupon on a backpack.

I already have too many backpacks that I don't use.

I now have a 1-in 1-out rule re: backpacks

5 max