Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tomn posted:

On a related subject of pallet-chat, apparently Russian rail isn't doing so hot either if this is anything to go by:

https://twitter.com/akihheikkinen/status/1506975933797916674?s=20&t=pP6WwT2mBLBQbNCi7fZglQ

Machine translation of part of the original article:

I take it that nationalizing your railways a month into an offensive war against a smaller neighbor is probably not a good sign?

Russia's rails were already somewhat nationalized. Aren't 20k out of 21k engines owned by the State?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wouldn稚 drive a go cart across that bridge.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How are they so bad at everything :psyduck:

No you see, pallets are western propaganda and supply is flowing exactly how russian doctrine dictates :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

They were rushin'

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Do not summon that blue evil into this thread

Too late.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A.o.D. posted:

That can work in peacetime, but when the bullets start flying, moving fast is the most important thing. One guy on a forklift can move more poo poo than a company of stevedores.

Next you're going to tell me that laboriously unloading trucks in combat zones by hand hugely increases their odds of getting blown up, too

Casimir Radon posted:

I wouldn稚 drive a go cart across that bridge.

I appreciate the photographer who got a wide enough angle to include the bridge because it really tells the entire story

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tomn posted:

I take it that nationalizing your railways a month into an offensive war against a smaller neighbor is probably not a good sign?

Nationalizing strategic transport assets isn't inherently a bad idea, but, yes, it's definitely not a good sign for a short term Russian victory (in case we needed more)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Commoners posted:

Their flag officers are really good at making money from their side businesses though.

And then dying in combat as a result, blessed be.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can there be a pallet thread

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Soul Dentist posted:

:justpost:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Handsome Ralph posted:

I unironically appreciated pallet chat.

It was a good distraction from the doom and gloom. A real cleanser of a subject.

Edit: if you make a pallet thread, I'd let these goons know

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They were rushin'
YES

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

If they weren't, could you crane the tank over?

piL fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 25, 2022

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

davecrazy posted:

There are.

Go into any Amazon warehouse and you'll find a million of these:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-990/Pallets/Plastic-Pallet-48-x-40

USPS use an absolute shitload of these as well.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

Hush lightpole / blyatov y誕ll haven稚 tested that check valve in like eight years and you ain稚 even Russian

Strong HMCS Preserver energy in this sentence.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 25, 2022

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Is the 1st Guards tank army any better than the other conscripts? One of their divisions seems to be the ones that pushed across Ukraine to approach Kyiv from the East.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Soul Dentist posted:

in Pallet we trust

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what is the total now if this is confirmed?

https://twitter.com/mrkovalenko/status/1507193029064593409?s=21

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

He looks like the Sky Marshal who got the boot for botching Klendathu

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I almost lost my bourbon

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lightpole posted:

The Cape Hs are so valuable because they provide shallow draft, heavy lift, ro/ro capability with gantry cranes in case shore infrastructure is trashed or nonexistent. Break bulk is so slow, as well as being dangerous with unskilled labor or cut corners (Concord Naval Weapons Station is the prime example but there's countless from WW2 and Vietnam) its absolutely insane that it exists. Break bulk isn't a thing, it takes so much more in terms of labor and resources and is so inefficient compared to palletized cargo. Like, this is loving shocking, its 1940s logistics tech which pretty much limits you to 1940s capabilites.

My guess is that the statutes for MARAD cargo capabilities are all based on WW2/Korea/Vietnam era poo poo because there's never been enough of a war since then to change things. I doubt anyone was ever elected to Congress by running on a platform of improving out wartime shipping capabilities (p.s. if I ever run for office this will be my Day 1 legislation alongside tying minimum wage to the rate of inflation).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Like I know it's "Sky Marshall Dienes" or however it's spelled. Sheesh, Millennial brain. Starship Troopers message was that war is good, right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LRADIKAL posted:

Like I know it's "Sky Marshall Dienes" or however it's spelled. Sheesh, Millennial brain. Starship Troopers message was that war is good, right?

No, the message was that Starship Troopers is good

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Casimir Radon posted:

:eng101: Russians would cook over burning plastic.

This reminds me of some slightly :nms: facts from the Soviet-Afghan war 7 episode series of the Lions Led By Donkeys podcast (starting on episode 55) that someone recommended on one of these threads, and is an absolute must-listen. There's the famous anecdotes about the Russian proclivity to drink the alcohol from the cooling system for the radar of MiG-25's. Well it turns out that's only the tip of the iceberg of the desperate depths they went to to get drunk. They also drank solvent after letting it sit out in the cold and let the bad poo poo freeze while the alcohol stays liquid and separate off. And they would spread boot polish on bread and then toast it, so the alcohol melts and runs down into the bread while the solids stay on top, and then scrape them off.

So yeah.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fearless posted:

Strong HMCS Preserver energy in this sentence.

Reminds me of the good old days, watching someone "leak test" a seawater hull valve, responsible for cutting off flooding in a submarine at hundreds of feet in an emergency, by placing a 1000mL graduated cylinder in the leak path, at about 5 seconds in it starts overflowing, it's held there for 55 more seconds.

1000mL/min leak rate, in specifications!

E:

ASAPI posted:

In semi related logistics/maintenance news, Russian guided munitions have a 60% failure rate. Keeps hammering home the fact that motor pool Mondays were actually good....

A few years ago a Russian Delta Class submarine had 'ol Vlad on board, and was supposed to launch 2 SLBMs in a big Russian exercise. 1 of those SLBMs failed during launch, which is abysmal. Especially since you have to consider those missiles were specially and recently prepped and loaded with "blanks" for the exercise.

Article

I don't recall ever hearing of a US DASO (same thing, launch of an inert missile) failing during my career.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 25, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

vessbot posted:

This reminds me of some slightly :nms: facts from the Soviet-Afghan war 7 episode series of the Lions Led By Donkeys podcast (starting on episode 55) that someone recommended on one of these threads, and is an absolute must-listen. There's the famous anecdotes about the Russian proclivity to drink the alcohol from the cooling system for the radar of MiG-25's. Well it turns out that's only the tip of the iceberg of the desperate depths they went to to get drunk. They also drank solvent after letting it sit out in the cold and let the bad poo poo freeze while the alcohol stays liquid and separate off. And they would spread boot polish on bread and then toast it, so the alcohol melts and runs down into the bread while the solids stay on top, and then scrape them off.

So yeah.

My great grandmother was a cook on the trans-siberian. One of the stories she related was a man (either fellow employee or passenger) soaking cologne into an onion as a filter, then squeezing the alcohol out of it to drink.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

Film or book?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Cimber posted:

If you use a good Chep pallet you don't need to worry about them breaking. They are solidly constructed and are an industry leader.

I hate Chep pallets. Loscam all the way.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, the message was that Starship Troopers is good

:hmmyes:

I learned recently that they did a 4K transfer and remaster of Starship Troopers. It's absolutely phenomenal. The visuals in that movie still stand up incredibly well thanks to all the practical effects and modelwork in the space scenes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cimber posted:

If you use a good Chep pallet you don't need to worry about them breaking. They are solidly constructed and are an industry leader.

Do I look like I知 made of money? Jesus Christ, do you want leather seats and surround sound in the forklifts too?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Do I look like I知 made of money? Jesus Christ, do you want leather seats and surround sound in the forklifts too?

I do if I want productive forklift drivers.

Yeah, I know, hyperbole, but there's a huge difference between good and good enough.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

At least how about a little fan on the front to blow in my face.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I know, hyperbole, but there's a huge difference between good and good enough.

I used to drive Raymond Hi/lo's in a warehouse back in the 90s. Chep pallets were my faverate thing to lift into racks because I knew they would not fall apart. More than once I had cheap pallets crack and rain down cases of food product onto my head. Fortunately there were safety bars above me, but it was pretty loving unnerving.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A.o.D. posted:

As long as there's a second forklift to get the first one back upright it doesn't matter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A.o.D. posted:

Send me an excel spreadsheet that explains that difference in a way the MBA PE approving my budget will understand and I値l go for it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I had no idea Alan Tudyk was a Russian General.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Send me an excel spreadsheet that explains that difference in a way the MBA PE approving my budget will understand and I値l go for it.

As soon as I figure out how to explain to one that burning out your workforce so that you have 18 month turnover on your entire labor pool is actually bad for your bottom line in a way that they'll accept, I'll get back to you.

Otherwise, I can offer you this as a tool for a more.. material form of persuasion:

https://www.supremet-shirtsale.com/fw18-supreme-tool-crowbar-red.html

Cimber posted:

I used to drive Raymond Hi/lo's in a warehouse back in the 90s. Chep pallets were my faverate thing to lift into racks because I knew they would not fall apart. More than once I had cheap pallets crack and rain down cases of food product onto my head. Fortunately there were safety bars above me, but it was pretty loving unnerving.

Huh. I'm a Raymond certified forklift technician. NJ Malin was a very good company to work for. (raymond forklifts are on the good side of the equation, fyi)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 25, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Huh. I'm a Raymond certified forklift technician. NJ Malin was a very good company to work for. (raymond forklifts are on the good side of the equation, fyi)

Ahhh, I worked for C&S wholesale grocers back in the day. Not sure who MJ Malin is, I've been out of the warehouse game for a long time but I do remember liking Raymond products.

THeir ridable electric pallet jacks were pretty fun, much better than the lovely Crown jacks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

Ahhh, I worked for C&S wholesale grocers back in the day. Not sure who MJ Malin is, I've been out of the warehouse game for a long time but I do remember liking Raymond products.

THeir ridable electric pallet jacks were pretty fun, much better than the lovely Crown jacks.

Raymond dealer in Texas and Louisiana. I've been out of the forklift business for a long time. I was able to parlay my hydraulic and electronic trouble shooting skills into a job as a contractor for NASA, where I worked on the equipment that sprayed foam on the Space Shuttle External tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's a new variation on fragging, Russian-style!

https://twitter.com/AntonLaGuardia/status/1507377675870117891