Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

davidspackage posted:

I always found it amusing how in the Mask cartoon, Peggy was his buddy (possibly love interest, I didn't see that many episodes), when in the movie, she sells him out to a gangster and almost gets him killed.

It's pretty funny that there is no further resolution to that, she just grabs her money and exits the movie like she's Benicio Del Toro in a Star Wars movie. I guess the producers of the cartoon had kids like me in mind, I rooted for her to get together with Ipkiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skip & Loafer

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

davidspackage posted:

I always found it amusing how in the Mask cartoon, Peggy was his buddy (possibly love interest, I didn't see that many episodes), when in the movie, she sells him out to a gangster and almost gets him killed.

I recall it's briefly mentioned as a trust issue between them and she's basically "Don't Tell me you're still sore about that, jeez."

also there was a crossover episode where Ace Ventura got the mask stuck to his butt

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Man, now I want the Onion AV Club to go into exhaustive detail on every Jim Carrey cartoon show. Or maybe there's already a wiki page with way too detailed episode summaries that would out of context seem crazy, like the mask getting stuck to Ace Ventura's butt.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

It's pretty funny that there is no further resolution to that, she just grabs her money and exits the movie like she's Benicio Del Toro in a Star Wars movie. I guess the producers of the cartoon had kids like me in mind, I rooted for her to get together with Ipkiss.

This was brought up in a deleted scene

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Crushed to death in a photocopier. Rip.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davidspackage posted:

This reminds me of the Watchmen cartoon intro some random person made forever ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

davidspackage posted:

There's also the Beetlejuice Cartoon where Lydia is now his BFF instead of say in the movie where he tries to force her into being his child bride.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I've been reading Teppuu, which is about women's MMA. (Right to left)

And Swamp Thing, which is the first...traditional? comic book I've read. A friend found out I like Pogo and sent me this arc.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vlaphor posted:

This was brought up in a deleted scene

I like how they created a fake newspaper, with real text and start off a story and then got lazy and threw something about international politics for the rest of the article.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, now I want the Onion AV Club to go into exhaustive detail on every Jim Carrey cartoon show. Or maybe there's already a wiki page with way too detailed episode summaries that would out of context seem crazy, like the mask getting stuck to Ace Ventura's butt.

After reading the mask comic I went to a fan wiki and it was so poorly written,l and organized that for half a second I considered rewriting it. I opened the edit page and tried to make sense of the 10000 non paragraphed tldr block of text and noped out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I know it's unlikely to happen because the role is associated with Carrey, but I'd love to see another adaption. Mainly because I want to see Walter, nominally non-supernatural but defacto Juggernaut-level unstoppable adversary of the Mask.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Mystery #57 (1956)

Flaming Carrot Comics #20 (1988)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a super r rated Netflix mask show would honestly probably be a trip to watch

also i would love to see reactions from people who only know the mask from nostalgia memories of the Jim Carrey movie, esp since Stanley is a huge piece of poo poo who dies lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This thread reminded me that I never read The Mask, so I went ahead and ordered the first omnibus.

Also, I really did not like the movie. It felt like it was one third of a film with very little action in it and not much in the way of escalation; basically two scenes of antics and the rest was non-masked Jim Carry puttering around. It has been decades since I watched it, but I doubt my impression of it is going to improve.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The Cable Guy cartoon was always a standout in the Saturday morning lineup.

Wait, is this a joke or did they actually make one of those (the two I mentioned along with The Mask are real at least)?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

There's also the Beetlejuice Cartoon where Lydia is now his BFF instead of say in the movie where he tries to force her into being his child bride.

Oh yeah! Even more messed up.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Kalli posted:

Had me confused as hell as a kid since I was watching the cartoons for a while before actually seeing the movie.

On a similar note, how about Rambo: The Force of Freedom as yet another cartoon adaptation of something definitely not for kids?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Verant posted:

Had me confused as hell as a kid since I was watching the cartoons for a while before actually seeing the movie.

On a similar note, how about Rambo: The Force of Freedom as yet another cartoon adaptation of something definitely not for kids?

Robocop and Mortal Kombat got cartoon adaptions for some reason as well

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Larryb posted:

Robocop and Mortal Kombat got cartoon adaptions for some reason as well

I think it was honest trailers that pointed out that the 80s and early 90s for some reason rated R, super violent movies (Terminator, Robocop, people can think of others) got toy lines marketed to children and it didn't dawn on me until later in life that yah, it was a smidge hosed up.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think it was honest trailers that pointed out that the 80s and early 90s for some reason rated R, super violent movies (Terminator, Robocop, people can think of others) got toy lines marketed to children and it didn't dawn on me until later in life that yah, it was a smidge hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOnNlSlcqI

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mooseontheloose posted:

Toy lines directing me to the best action movies of those decades was good actually

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

It was to put hair on children's chests, like you get just from watching this theme song for Conan The Cartoon:

https://youtu.be/HT3cl4GJIDs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Imo nothing tops Toxic Crusaders. Troma for kids, what’s not to love

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Grendels Dad posted:

It was to put hair on children's chests, like you get just from watching this theme song for Conan The Cartoon:

I can hear this glorious theme just from seeing this post

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Same.

It sucks that I'm pretty sure it ended and they never resolved the overall plot, but IIRC Conan's magical talking phoenix went out in a literal blaze of glory, and the wolf companions managed to get elevated into reverse were wolves, so yay?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Interestingly, that post didn't, but this post did.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Conan got me in a deep dive on 90s cartoon intros, and this banger popped up. I give you King Arthur and the Knights of Justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbWDjzTM0A

Always thought that Arthur summoning the dragon from the shield was so badass.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I get it stuck in my head all the time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I like how they created a fake newspaper, with real text and start off a story and then got lazy and threw something about international politics for the rest of the article.

The filler text is a classic of the form.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Conan got me in a deep dive on 90s cartoon intros, and this banger popped up. I give you King Arthur and the Knights of Justice:

Exciting theme songs that explain the premise of the show are a dead art.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Random Stranger posted:

Exciting theme songs that explain the premise of the show are a dead art.

Not just the premise, also the moral.

The power is YOURS!.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

hiddenriverninja posted:

gently caress I'd forgotten how glorious that theme song was.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hiddenriverninja posted:

gently caress. I read all this and said "I don't remember a Conan cartoon, probably after my time", but one word into the theme song and the whole goddamn thing came back

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Grendels Dad posted:

The Phoenix's craving for pomegranates got me asking for them from the grocery as a child. They're pretty good, just annoying to open up compared to other fruit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sounds like a job for Nate Rabin, who used to be the head writer for AV Club and does patreon review requests

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Onion AV Club would do a review of Mask, but it'd be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Mooseontheloose posted:

I forget if this was in the script itself or the novelizations, but in-universe, OCP heavily marketed RoboCop to kids, complete with action figures and such, and it was very definitely an internal commentary on how hosed up that was.

RoboCop really was a perfect movie the first time around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, as long as we're mentioning cartoon themes, I have to inflict this on everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Random Stranger posted:

You know, as long as we're mentioning cartoon themes, I have to inflict this on everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

Oh god, the riff kicks in and you know where its going, but for just a second you hope it doesn't, but then it does.

That poor, poor singer.