Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a podcast for cats posted:

Goddammit, I was about to go to bed.

I make this one at least once per month:

https://natashaskitchen.com/buckwheat-and-beef-pilaf-plov/

It's a plov, but made from buckwheat. Roasting the buckwheat first is key, as is cumin.

Edit: I have also substituted pork for beef several times and may even prefer it that way.
Trip report! The broad strokes are similar to making regular rice plov. Made it with pork because that's what I had (beef or mutton, as tradition, are also possible). Forgot the cumin :v: but it turned out pretty well.

7/10, would eat again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
That looks tasty enough, in the Latvian "perfectly normal" meaning of the term. I think adding cumin might have improved the score you gave it by half a point or so. I also usually skip halving a head of garlic and instead just put 4-5 peeled cloves in, so that they dissolve in the plov.

I am not sure where I saw this, but I think a few thread regulars (cinci zoo sniper, Somaen?) may have mentioned in the past that a part of the nominally liberal Russian opposition may oppose the Kremlin, but still see "near abroad" as part of the Russian sphere and I wonder if there's a good source on getting more insight on that.

I'm asking because one of the more interesting (and divisive) public discussions taking place in Latvia right now is what to make of Russian exiles who have escaped Russia since the beginning of the war, but are not outspokenly pro-Ukrainian or pro-Western. Chulpan Khamatova kind of kicked off the debate by arriving in Riga, but it's including others as well.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

How specific you want to be about this? Off the top of my head, Navalnyi did support annexation of Crimea, and the general attitude of Russian “liberals” towards Ukraine doesn’t require much sourcing these days either.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Well the Navalny team at the moment are loudly saying that Crimea is Ukrainian, but back few years ago Navalny said that "Crimea is not a sandwich to be passed around". It is an understandable populist politician stance because the support for Russian Crimea is massive but very unfortunate for a true reformist.

Russian liberals can be horrible imperialists, this is true, and a lot of them clashed with Ukrainians over various issues in the past and the rights of countries in Russian reach is always a blindspot. Younger opposition activists (like leftist students from DOXA journal and the like) are better on that, to the dismay of many people who disagree with applying colonialist reading of Russia (both to ex-soviet sphere and to ethnicities in Russia).

Khamatova has never been in opposition, she has always tried to get support for her charity work by allying with the state and voicing support for whatever Kremlin initiative she was told to. A lot of people like her that tried to have a niche of decent people in bad system got shown how useless they are for current regime on February 24th .

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 21, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure, that's the thing.

I'm sort of trapped by understanding Russian just about well enough to get much of the meaning and some of the nuance of what I read, but generally not being familiar with the context and background at all. So, seeing Khamatova's, as an example, position and views being debated I'm looking for something accessible and reliable to quickly read up on.

Or, I guess, asking on SA for a quick tl;dr also works.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://slate.com/technology/2022/03/russia-wikipedia-download-kiwix.html

Huh, Wikipedia is a popular download in Russia these days.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, as long as I'm downloading so much poo poo that's going to become unavailable in the nearest future, Wikipedia is a hell of a value proposition for such a tiny download.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This guy makes a case that the rouble gas prices trick won’t achieve much, since, which I had forgotten about, companies are forced to convert 80% of exports revenue to roubles. This change would represent an incremental improvement over that.

https://twitter.com/rencapman/status/1506648388548370439

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/ronaldliive/status/1507243684735111187
My grandmother's sister - 17 years old at the time - was one of the many people deported.
Fortunately she made it back alive and is even still kicking, but the scars deep.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Zhirinovsky finally died from covid complications
RIP you awful decadent weirdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvrMUlOR76w

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Albright, Zhirinovsky, can we get Kissinger and Putin next? Four of a dead shithead Kind would make this miserable year a bit better.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Zhirinovsky finally died from covid complications
RIP you awful decadent weirdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvrMUlOR76w

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1507286494117085231

What's this about then?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 25, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
drat it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Soon, though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
holy poo poo, they finally killed novaya gazeta https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/2022/03/28/my-priostanavlivaem-rabotu

goin out with a bang at least

https://twitter.com/GraceCuddihy/status/1508560817649860609

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is from Feb 25.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

https://twitter.com/yugopnik/status/1508423001980686337

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

I am not sure where I saw this, but I think a few thread regulars (cinci zoo sniper, Somaen?) may have mentioned in the past that a part of the nominally liberal Russian opposition may oppose the Kremlin, but still see "near abroad" as part of the Russian sphere and I wonder if there's a good source on getting more insight on that.

I'm asking because one of the more interesting (and divisive) public discussions taking place in Latvia right now is what to make of Russian exiles who have escaped Russia since the beginning of the war, but are not outspokenly pro-Ukrainian or pro-Western. Chulpan Khamatova kind of kicked off the debate by arriving in Riga, but it's including others as well.

That's interesting, I think there might not be a single source of info because liberal russians are a loose coalition ranging from radical prometheists who experienced repression to government-aligned soft opposition that was fine with Putin until their holiday plans in Italy got ruined. They all have a different vision for the Wonderful Russia of the Future and different levels of understanding of the near abroad (e.g. some of them ran away to the Baltics and lived there and some know about them as flyover country and from history books)

One related case of this was recently that Belarusians leaked a list of people that snitched on their neighbours that participated in anti-Batka protests. One woman was found to have done that and after applied as a refugee to Lithuania from the repressions. Dunno what happened to her so far but the local Belarusian diaspora was very upset.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of gave up on normal "liberal" russians after a big chunk of them seemed to be ok with starting a war in 2014. Hard to say though what's really going on with all the suppression and propaganda.

Is that loving Orban lol

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

mobby_6kl posted:

I kind of gave up on normal "liberal" russians after a big chunk of them seemed to be ok with starting a war in 2014. Hard to say though what's really going on with all the suppression and propaganda.

Is that loving Orban lol

Orban himself.

Not surprised tbh.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Uh so... I hope this is okay to post. Anyone who could help with some payments inside Belarus? Looking for someone who could transfer money inside of Belarus and I could pay them for it outside of Belarus.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that loving Orban lol

Indeed and he is for some reason explaining the Serbian president that Hungarians are surrounded by Slavs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

Is that loving Orban lol

Maybe Vučić isn't pretending to be waving to crowds but is signalling for help

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Nenonen posted:

Maybe Vučić isn't pretending to be waving to crowds but is signalling for help

What I was thinking is that he is pretending to be busy waving to an invisible crowd so he wouldn't have to actually have a conversation with Orban.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hungarian Parliamentary elections are happening this Sunday, but the mail-in-voting is well underway.

Mail-in-voting is only available for Hungarians who do not have a registered address in Hungary. This mainly means ethnic Hungarians living in the surrounding countries who have been given voting rights by the current Fidesz government. If you are a Hungarian who works abroad but have a registered address in Hungary, your only option to vote is in person at the consulate/embassy, but even for that you have to pre-register weeks before the election. For example Hungarians working in the UK have only 3 locations they can vote at. (London, Edinburgh, Manchester)

Now on top of the above, Fidesz is also telling the mail-in-voters not to trust the mail service of their country, but instead give their ballots to the (Fidesz aligned) activists, who not only deliver the ballots personally to and from the people, but also help them fill it out in some cases. (The Romanian post had to release a statement that what the government owned Hungarian media says about is slander. https://www.g4media.ro/posta-romana...or-postale.html)

So of course we got news and videos of thrown out and partially burnt ballots which were cast for non-Fidesz parties in Romania. https://telex.hu/kozelet/2022/03/31/kidobott-levelszavazatok-erdely Photos and video in the article.

The Hungarian government already responded and claims this is a false flag operation by the opposition. :shepface:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what's with all the whining about Ukraine trying to steal the election? Is that getting any traction?

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Uh so... I hope this is okay to post. Anyone who could help with some payments inside Belarus? Looking for someone who could transfer money inside of Belarus and I could pay them for it outside of Belarus.

Indeed and he is for some reason explaining the Serbian president that Hungarians are surrounded by Slavs.

:lmao:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.delfi.lv/news/national/politics/saeima-konceptuali-atbalsta-viendzimuma-paru-tiesibu-regulejumu.d?id=54202680

Civil union (incl. non-cishet marriage) law has passed the first reading (vote) of Latvian parliament. :toot:

Our laws normally require 3 parliamentary votes to come into effect (2 if the law is classified as urgent, which I doubt this is).

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

mobby_6kl posted:

So what's with all the whining about Ukraine trying to steal the election? Is that getting any traction?

Of course, the whole "Ukraine and the opposition wants to drag us into war/want to send soldiers into Ukraine" thing was Orban's masterstroke, this is repeated by him and all government MPs ad nauseam. People are eating that poo poo up. Even some people not supporting Fidesz who I talked to told me that Ukraine wants to drag us into the war and we should stay out of it. (Also calling Zelenksy "The Clown")

A good friend of mine ranted at me for an hour the other day when Kuleba called for the Hungarian bank OTP to leave the Russian market. My friend wanted to know if Kuleba "asked" or "demanded". I told him the English articles I found said "called for" and "urged", but why does it matter? And that's when the floodgates opened and I was told that Ukraine has no right to DEMAND anything, they can only ASK as they are in poo poo and everyone is helping. But DEMANDING things just makes them look bad and people will hate them.

Edit: English language article:
https://insighthungary.444.hu/2022/03/31/opposition-votes-die-by-fire-v4-in-recess-russian-hackers-in-the-mfa-polls-favor-orban

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 31, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/lv_votes/status/1509906491100311572

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
I fell for the post from the Splendid Palace cinema which claimed that following guidance from VVC on use of foreign languages, the cinema will be renamed to Krāšņā Kinopils. Ngl, felt pretty righteously furious there for ten seconds until I remembered what day this is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I fell for the post from the Splendid Palace cinema which claimed that following guidance from VVC on use of foreign languages, the cinema will be renamed to Krāšņā Kinopils. Ngl, felt pretty righteously furious there for ten seconds until I remembered what day this is.

In your defence, that’s a very solid and realistic own.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Orban carries a chair to stand on during his campaign speeches.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

What does that mean?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does that mean?

Latvian language administration likes culture wars.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Orban carries a chair to stand on during his campaign speeches.

It's a good idea, but I'd carry one of those folding chairs they use in WWE so I could also bash some nazis with it

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does that mean?

Splendid Palace is an arthouse cinema in Riga and a well liked institution of the city. The site, much lf building, some of the interior and, crucially, the name dates back to the interwar period.

VVC is the Latvian language bureau who are taking their mandate of preserving the language a bit too seriously, to the point that cinci zoo sniper made, namely that they've taken a side in the culture wars. Due to language matters being very sensitive in Latvia, they wield a disproportionate amount of administrative and legal power. They're not a language police per se, but they can and do complicate compliance for businesses.

The cinema made an April's Fools joke by announcing they'd change their name to remain compliant with VVCs latest guidelines that restrict the use of foreign languages in cultural entity names.

It was absurd, but a bit too close for comfort.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
do the VVC have ridiculous $50k cosplay outfits like the Académie Française

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

do the VVC have ridiculous $50k cosplay outfits like the Académie Française

No, it’s a generic conservative think tank that did unfortunately end up being a powerful public institution.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm almost certainly talking entirely out of my rear end here, but my superficial impression is that the situation wrt regulation could be compared to the heavy handed protection of French in Quebec, at least from a mandate and purpose of the institution point of view. Culture warring it up by publishing a authoritative opinion that the historical translation of "Negro" should not be considered a slur, as if there had been no changes in its semantic meaning in the past century, doesn't help matters.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, it’s a generic conservative think tank that did unfortunately end up being a powerful public institution.

Do Latvians also have to chose names for their children from a set list approved by such institution or is that strictly a Hungarian thing?