Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FredLordofCheese posted:

Maybe they were driving the single motor version?

No. Dual motor with performance package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone here driven both the EV6 and Ioniq 5? I was watching a youtube channel that has reviewed both and they say they're pretty much the same just the Ioniq has a bit more of a "wafty" feel at high speeds whereas the EV6 is more planted. EV6 gets slightly better range probably because it's a bit more aerodynamic with the fastback etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So the charger I bought on Amazon is not only dead and or not working, it’s also missing an accessory and it’s clearly very obviously used.

Good thing this car came fully charger since it’s going to be a few days to get a replacement.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

priznat posted:

Has anyone here driven both the EV6 and Ioniq 5? I was watching a youtube channel that has reviewed both and they say they're pretty much the same just the Ioniq has a bit more of a "wafty" feel at high speeds whereas the EV6 is more planted. EV6 gets slightly better range probably because it's a bit more aerodynamic with the fastback etc.

Aren't Hyundai and Kia basically the same company? If so, I would expect them feel largely the same.

Also, thank you everyone for the Polestar 2 advice. After reading all of the comments it's probably going to be the EV I go with after I check out an i4 (went to the dealership yesterday and they didn't have one in stock but said they should expect one in a few weeks).

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

the one difference I saw in a review of the EV6 and Ioniq is that the EV6 has a toggle for the capcitive button row so they are dual use for the stereo / climate. It caused them some confusion as they would try and turn down the music and end up blasting cold air. I'm sure you could get used to it. The IoniQ has separate buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GBFKcQ8q8&t=225s

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MustardFacial posted:

Aren't Hyundai and Kia basically the same company? If so, I would expect them feel largely the same.

Hyundai and Kia are owned by the same parent company and share platforms but I find their cars, in general, to feel pretty different. Certainly more differentiated in driving experience than say, Skoda/VW/Seat or Peugeot/Citroen/Opel/Vauxhall platform shares. I expect the EV twins drive pretty differently.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Interior shots

I like their whole “gently caress it, chargers everywhere” approach. The nav/climate control being on the same screen tripped me a few times but I get it now plus I can control music/audio on the wheel anyways. CarPlay covers all of my screen use so not playing with any of the default nav stuff which is probably not great. I’ll never know.

Honestly most of the “new” stuff to me I think is somewhat standard nowadays but it’s definitely very cool. The lane steering and cruise control owns. The heated seats and wheel are great. The blind spot cameras when you’re turning rule. All around a very solid car and very quiet ride.

Need to get proper covers for the back and seats. Picked up the dogs today and they rode in the back and didn’t freak out so I’ll take that as a win now that I don’t have a dog trying to chill on the center console.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rusty posted:

the one difference I saw in a review of the EV6 and Ioniq is that the EV6 has a toggle for the capcitive button row so they are dual use for the stereo / climate. It caused them some confusion as they would try and turn down the music and end up blasting cold air. I'm sure you could get used to it. The IoniQ has separate buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GBFKcQ8q8&t=225s

Yah another difference is the EV6 has physical buttons for the seat heat/cooling/steering wheel warming whereas the Ioniq you have to go into the menus, which is a bummer.

It does sound like the Ioniq is roomier inside which is a a big plus for me so it’s still my too contender, just wish it came in red like the EV6 :haw:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My boss (who has a leaf) found out about bidirectional charging and now has some funny ideas.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

bird with big dick posted:

This opinion surprises me. Fifth Gear didn't seem particularly impressed with the Polestar's handling saying that it understeered a lot and IIRC used some words like "reluctant" and "not nimble."

With the Performance pack, could always adjust the suspension to be firmer if you're really looking to push the car - going to guess the reviewers aren't messing around with that as its not the easiest to tinker with.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 25, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I do appreciate the extremely early 90s lowest trim feel of the 2 spoke steering wheel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I do appreciate the extremely early 90s lowest trim feel of the 2 spoke steering wheel.

big time citroen energy

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I got to drive an EV6 Wind RWD this morning. I've always been a coupe/sedan person, and I wasn't really in the market for a crossover or SUV until I started seeing reviews of the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

I'd been concerned it would feel "lumbering" or underpowered, but it had plenty of acceleration and was very responsive. I didn't get to throw it around any corners, unfortunately; the dealership was completely dead this morning so the sales guy insisted on coming with me. Oh well. I still did some acceleration and braking tests, and it was a nice change from my current car, a decade-old Fusion Hybrid with good brakes and mediocre acceleration.

The EV6 is a very sexy car inside and out. I didn't spend much time with the infotainment system, but I did go over all of the driving and cabin controls, and the cargo and passenger space. It was very impressive, and everything is sensibly placed. Except... the gear knob threw me off. It had barely-tactile reverse, neutral, and drive settings, with a Park button in the middle -- I guess I'm old enough to expect something resembling a manual gear lever. I think these knobs may be fairly standard in newer cars though?

I'm planning to test drive a Mach-E next week, but I think the EV6 is probably my next car. Assuming I can ever find one in the trim/color I want without crazy markups.

:sigh: Maybe later this year.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

=== Trip report ===

I just got back from lunch with MY WIFE, who is a total babe and lets me kiss her ANY TIME I FEEL LIKE IT. Today was finally warm enough to roll the windows down, so I did. Changed the stereo EQ to look like the letter V, rolled it to 100% rear speakers, put on Van Halen's 1984, and cranked that sucker.

I felt like a total badass for the full 6 minutes it took to get home.

God drat this car is awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

=== Trip report ===

I just got back from lunch with MY WIFE, who is a total babe and lets me kiss her ANY TIME I FEEL LIKE IT. Today was finally warm enough to roll the windows down, so I did. Changed the stereo EQ to look like the letter V, rolled it to 100% rear speakers, put on Van Halen's 1984, and cranked that sucker.

next time tell us nerds how road head in an EV feels

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

cruft posted:

=== Trip report ===

Cool I am glad that you like your used ford pinto with the scratched up paint but while technically it needs to use a 12V battery to provide some of its acceleration I don't think that counts as an EV

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Cool I am glad that you like your used ford pinto with the scratched up paint but while technically it needs to use a 12V battery to provide some of its acceleration I don't think that counts as an EV

Hey don't diss on the shaggin' wagon, this thing is a babe magnet.

Check out the awesome EQ/Amp I got from radio shack and these sweet 6-inchers I mounted in the back with some plywood left over from my dad's job site.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ok Comboomer posted:

next time tell us nerds how road head in an EV feels

You gotta go high tech for an EV, obviously.

https://autoblow.com/automoblow/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

Hey don't diss on the shaggin' wagon, this thing is a babe magnet.

Check out the awesome EQ/Amp I got from radio shack and these sweet 6-inchers I mounted in the back with some plywood left over from my dad's job site.

—the words of a man who owes money to the credit department of Rockford Fosgate

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WhiteHowler posted:

I got to drive an EV6 Wind RWD this morning. I've always been a coupe/sedan person, and I wasn't really in the market for a crossover or SUV until I started seeing reviews of the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

I'd been concerned it would feel "lumbering" or underpowered, but it had plenty of acceleration and was very responsive. I didn't get to throw it around any corners, unfortunately; the dealership was completely dead this morning so the sales guy insisted on coming with me. Oh well. I still did some acceleration and braking tests, and it was a nice change from my current car, a decade-old Fusion Hybrid with good brakes and mediocre acceleration.

The EV6 is a very sexy car inside and out. I didn't spend much time with the infotainment system, but I did go over all of the driving and cabin controls, and the cargo and passenger space. It was very impressive, and everything is sensibly placed. Except... the gear knob threw me off. It had barely-tactile reverse, neutral, and drive settings, with a Park button in the middle -- I guess I'm old enough to expect something resembling a manual gear lever. I think these knobs may be fairly standard in newer cars though?

I'm planning to test drive a Mach-E next week, but I think the EV6 is probably my next car. Assuming I can ever find one in the trim/color I want without crazy markups.

:sigh: Maybe later this year.

My problem with the Mach-Es form factor (which probably applies to a lot of these crossovers) is that the back is so swept that you don't really get a lot of extra room by virtue of being a hatch rather than just a trunk. You get a big opening, but not much extra useable cubic footage. And every time you put some stuff back there it ends up being too tall and then the goddamn cloth luggage shade dislodges. Comparing it to the Model 3's trunk I think most people would actually be better served by the trunk in many circumstances. The opening is small in the Model 3 but I think all the extra cubic footage in the Mach is above the seatback i.e. not useable unless you want to block your mirror and stow the luggage cover somewhere and have your cargo falling into the back of back seat passengers heads.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Mach-E proportions are a little weird to me too, when looking at them from the back/front they seem oddly narrow. I think it's because the Mustang styling cues has me preset to think low + wide instead of a high stanced crossover.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

The Mach-E proportions are a little weird to me too, when looking at them from the back/front they seem oddly narrow. I think it's because the Mustang styling cues has me preset to think low + wide instead of a high stanced crossover.

we’ve been over this ITT

it looks vaguely swollen in all the wrong (right?) places and really way too obviously phallic

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

we’ve been over this ITT

it looks vaguely swollen in all the wrong (right?) places and really way too obviously phallic

It's more the narrow-ness of it that is strange, the dick shape is a plus!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

It's more the narrow-ness of it that is strange, the dick shape is a plus!

https://youtu.be/khlX-qUkri8

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh yah I had seen that, the nutmobile

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: EV thread mk 3 - Found On Road, Discharged

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

we’ve been over this ITT

Not nearly phallic enough!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok now I’m never not going to see it as a car with foreskin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok now I’m never not going to see it as a car with foreskin

Idk if the GT is better or worse about this

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Saw an Ioniq 5 in digital teal tonight, it was beautiful, I wish I had more time to look at it but there was a car behind me.

Starting to see Rivians almost daily now in the Greater Seattle Area, saw an EV6 today today, the future is good, for those who can afford it. 🤪

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

https://youtu.be/UGJhAyoF9-I

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hell yeah it's in the ocean somewhere

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Your car is in the ocean? That could be a problem... ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Your car is in the ocean? That could be a problem... ;)

Superior German mouldings.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not yet IN the ocean

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

This is called tempting god

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hope you got the Trucoat.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Without getting into the "is FSD actually going to happen and be worth x dollars" discussion, it feels like it's not really a smart choice to buy it with the Tesla, right?

I'm interested in maybe pulling the trigger on a Model 3 in a month or so, and it feels like other than it being wrapped into your insurance, there's really only more downsides than upsides when it comes to financing it as part of the car loan.

You raise the sticker price of your car by 12k, increasing taxes / registration fees. You have to buy it again if you change Tesla cars (so if down the line I upgraded to a Model S, open up my wallet again). It seems like it makes more sense to just pay for it as the subscription fee, which costs ~40 dollars more per month than financing it based on my math, but means you're not locked in, if you change cars, you're not out the 12k you need to re-obtain FSD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Without getting into the "is FSD actually going to happen and be worth x dollars" discussion, it feels like it's not really a smart choice to buy it with the Tesla, right?

I'm interested in maybe pulling the trigger on a Model 3 in a month or so, and it feels like other than it being wrapped into your insurance, there's really only more downsides than upsides when it comes to financing it as part of the car loan.

You raise the sticker price of your car by 12k, increasing taxes / registration fees. You have to buy it again if you change Tesla cars (so if down the line I upgraded to a Model S, open up my wallet again). It seems like it makes more sense to just pay for it as the subscription fee, which costs ~40 dollars more per month than financing it based on my math, but means you're not locked in, if you change cars, you're not out the 12k you need to re-obtain FSD.

it will do nothing for the resale value since the new owner will have to license it again themselves

my dad has a 3 and he didn’t spend the extra money and he’s happy as a clam with his FSD-less car

like, buy it for a month that you’re gonna road trip if you want to mess around with it as a party trick but otherwise save your money IMO

by the time it becomes a worthwhile purchase, if ever, you’ll probably be done with the Model 3 and on to another future car anyway

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I bought it back when it was only questionably expensive because I could afford it and I like gadgets. Right now I feel like that money would have been better spent on a 3D printer. Maybe one day the car really will drive itself and that'll be neato, but I doubt I'd pay the current price for it.