Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Could the quality of junk yards vary by region? Just thinking here, if the typical life of a New England vehicle is 10 years due to rust, whereas the Pacific NW is 20 years, a NE yard will see twice the turn over.

Everything of course will be hosed by the continual increase in new car prices, used cars with 250k are going to be a norm soon and just repaired.

I have a spare D30 Spartan locker someone can have, but that is a bit undersized for your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I actually just put my spare d30 locker in my Comanche recently :v:

Yeah, our junk in New England gets to the yard in anywhere from 10 to 30 years depending on owner and vehicle. In Washington it's generally more like 25 to 40 years before it gets there and yeah, turnover is slower.

I'm back in New England for a bit so I'm currently keeping my eye out for the same shafts in the yards here. If I have to put them in my checked luggage for the return trip so be it.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I don’t know what your TSA experience is with weird checked items, but if you have stuff like that in bags you want to go through the most blue-collar security possible. Places where people might normally fly through with tools.

I always have crap put back together wrong when we fly out of Santa Barbara; they don’t know what to do with big iron chunks. In Seattle TSA will re-band a box; they’re used to us Alaskans checking crazy stuff to avoid paying shipping. I could see Boston going either way but we’ve had good luck at Bradley.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

I don’t know what your TSA experience is with weird checked items, but if you have stuff like that in bags you want to go through the most blue-collar security possible. Places where people might normally fly through with tools.

Its Ken, He'll be fine.

giundy posted:

Could the quality of junk yards vary by region? Just thinking here, if the typical life of a New England vehicle is 10 years due to rust, whereas the Pacific NW is 20 years, a NE yard will see twice the turn over.

Big Time.
Bodywork and chassis gear from the south west. Interiors and plastics are destroyed.
Interiors and powertrains from the rust belt. Chassis and bodywork are usually ruined by salt.
The south can be hit or miss on both. Mold and sometimes seasonal dusting of road salt in the mountainous areas.

This isn't always set in stone. You can find *mint* parts in an area that isn't known for that sorta thing but you'll pay a premium for it... Like mint interior parts in the desert southwest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I normally fly out of Boston because my preferred airline has direct flights to SeaTac from there. I think I'd have to go through JFK if I did Bradley. So far they're pretty good about my 40lb checked toolbag full of random sockets and a heatgun and it gets checked every single time, I am gonna have quite a stack of baggage inspection forms.

It looks like all the yards that probably have my stuff are like 600 miles away still though. :sigh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well jack poo poo has happened car wise until recently because it was snowing it's rear end off. My brother let the fastest leaking tire on the Comanche run almost flat and drove to work on it by accident, and it started losing 45psi in a day or two instead of a few weeks, so given that it was hosed and I needed an rear end ton of beadsealer to seal it in the first place (I damaged the bead on the tire in 2010 when I first mounted it...) and it was from loving 2010 I bought a pair of almost new ones, same model tire and same size, on cl and mounted and balanced those. Haven't had to fill my rear tires since then, kind of nice really.

I put my Fosi Audio Bluetooth stereo amp (model ZK1002, for anyone who wants one off Amazon) in at some point and it is very nice to have all 4 speakers working again as a result. Especially since it's way louder than stock ever achieved and Bluetooth so now my cig lighter is freed up instead of having a Bluetooth FM modulator in it all the time.

Today Sandbagger came by and we started really stripping the 91 Comanche down for parts. I'm gonna miss that poor truck, it's been in my fleet the longest at this point (12 years!) and has literally never successfully stranded me without it being entirely my fault. But it's so rotten it was never ever coming back to life, and ironically, the parts off it will end up on the truck I planned to put them on... It's the one I sold to Sandbagger a few years back. Kind of poetic really.

The front bumper, winch, rear bumper, and rear Chrysler 8.25 I built for it (ZJ discs, 3.55s, second gen Durango LSD, 29 spline) will live on in Sandbagger's second MJ. I still have a bunch of other parts to rip off of it before it goes to Deadjeep in RI for final part out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbY9XG7clM

RIP, old friend.

Oh, the Justy and 5 ton are both up for sale if anyone is looking for ways to set 4 figures on fire while being more frustrated and having more fun than you can legally have with your pants on. The only vehicle left to drive West at this point is my 88 Comanche, and I might have the 89 Grand Wagoneer shipped West eventually if I can swing it, even though people keep trying to buy it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Veeb0rg posted:

LKQ around here now makes you note the vehicle you got the part from and will ask you for the information before checking you out. Oh and now they offer a warranty on every part, that you have to tell them you DON'T want or they automatically tack it on when you check out.

Late to the party, but LKQ caught me off guard with asking which car I yanked parts from last time. "The 2005 Crown Vic"

"Which one? I see 5 of them..."

"Uh... 6 or 7 different ones of various years, plus a Lincoln Town Car, a couple of Grand Marquis.... Y'all didn't tell me anything about needing to write down what parts they came from when I came in, there were no markings on them either"... so they just looked up a random 2005 Vic and bitched me out, saying I need to write down the last few digits of the VIN. Then tried to add a $5 warranty for a goddamned fuse box cover, $10 warranty for a trunk release switch that probably costs $20 brand new, etc.

Wrench A Part does the same poo poo with the "warranty". I always have to tell them multiple times I DO NOT WANT THE loving WARRANTY. IT'S A GODDAMNED TAILLIGHT/DOOR PANEL/OTHER PART THAT ISN'T GOING TO FALL APART. I miss having multiple Pick n Pulls :sigh: - it's just LKQ and Wrench A Part here. There's another self service yard on some back road I've driven past a few times that I can never find on Google, I need to pay more attention next time I'm in that part of town.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

kastein posted:

I am trying to find axleshaft donors for the fullfloat rear 60 in the Honcho that are the correct length (or can be cut down slightly and still have enough spline to not bottom out) and 35 spline so I can put my rear lunchbox locker in, but the Dana Spicer expert website has sadly been taken offline since last time I looked so it's an uphill struggle.

I need:
- 8 bolt full float pattern, not semi float
- flange has 3-31/32" 3.969" bolt circle (I don't make this poo poo up, yes they made it that instead of just making it 4")
- 35 spline inner end

Length for one shaft: ideally 34.24" but anywhere from 34" to 34.5" should be usable

Length for the other: ideally 37.64" but anywhere from like, 37.375" to 37.875" should be usable

Ideally, donors will be very common vehicles found in junkyards. Full size vans and pickups with factory equipment would be ideal.

I can buy aftermarket cut-to-length ones, yes, and eventually I will... But blowing 450 dollars on axleshafts is absolutely not in my budget right now. So I'm hoping to find them in the yard for $42 each instead.

I've found a few possible part numbers (36113-7, 36113-8, 36113-18, 36113-27, and 35091-4, plus a handful I forgot to write down) that fit a variety of donors I don't have access to locally, but nothing that's in stock.

Suggestions welcome.

E: I was wrong on the short side, Dana says it's 34.92"

I thought dutchman axles was about half that price when i did my 35spl 60 in my CJ7.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What material? That's the price for chromoly because with the LS and how I drive I don't see a reason to not start with the strongest I can get. I found other materials a bit cheaper but not cheap enough to justify parts I'll break.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well. It's the end of an era. I just sold the 5 ton, guy went home to register it and will be driving it home Saturday if all goes according to plan.

I have already started window shopping for M543A2s and M816s in Western Washington. Why am I like this. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Because most of the remaining XJ's are too rusty for even your level of stubbornness? :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Well. It's the end of an era. I just sold the 5 ton, guy went home to register it and will be driving it home Saturday if all goes according to plan.

I have already started window shopping for M543A2s and M816s in Western Washington. Why am I like this. :v:

drat, Kens growi- oh
gently caress Yes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Because most of the remaining XJ's are too rusty for even your level of stubbornness? :v:

XJs unfortunately don't do anything useful for me at this point that Britt's wagon, the Honcho, and the MJ can't do. I do, however, need a crane to build a house and barn without a construction crew, or at least that's my excuse to spend ten grand on a toy instead of ten grand on hiring a crew to stand up the framing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

XJs unfortunately don't do anything useful for me at this point that Britt's wagon, the Honcho, and the MJ can't do. I do, however, need a crane to build a house and barn without a construction crew, or at least that's my excuse to spend ten grand on a toy instead of ten grand on hiring a crew to stand up the framing.

Justification is a wonderful thing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

My plan is to roll out of Seattle after work on 5/20, heading east. Camp by the Columbia and then on to Montana the next day. Anywhere along that I-90 corridor I could drop you off to pick up a chunk of Eastern Washington/Idaho surplus. High desert is where the good scrap stuff is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Let he who hasn't used a project as an excuse to buy a new tool he's been lusting after throw the first stone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

I will help you in any way I can, if you let me borrow the crane occasionally, I saw your picture and immediately started searching CL.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh yeah for sure dude, any time you need it I can drive it up, assuming it's not currently broken.

Advent Horizon posted:

My plan is to roll out of Seattle after work on 5/20, heading east. Camp by the Columbia and then on to Montana the next day. Anywhere along that I-90 corridor I could drop you off to pick up a chunk of Eastern Washington/Idaho surplus. High desert is where the good scrap stuff is.

you want radioactive fish pretty bad I guess. :lol:

I'll let you know, I'll definitely be out there permanently by then.

Speaking of which, I'm likely driving cross country in a few weeks again at this point. This time in 1.5 Jeep Comanches. I'll likely be doing the Colorado and Oregon route this time instead of i90 for 4 billion miles.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 24, 2022

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

kastein posted:

you want radioactive fish pretty bad I guess. :lol:

When we toured the Hanford Site they said “the effect on the river was minimal; you could barely measure the temperature increase 50 miles downstream”.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I went i80 to i84 when I moved from Illinois to Oregon and it was turbo boring until partway through Wyoming when the landscape finally changed and made the whole trip worth it*. So probably Denver area for your route is when the fun starts.
Unfortunately I did all of Utah and Idaho in the dark. I could just barely see the outlines of mountains in the darkness going through Utah so I'm sure it would be great in daylight. Getting fuel in salt lake creeped me out but I'll probably go site seeing in Utah eventually anyway. Eastern Oregon was night plus blizzard so that sucked but the whole Columbia River Gorge is amazing.

*The purpose of the trip was to escape the Midwest so it was already worth it

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

50 miles, holy poo poo, that's some radiation right there.

Yeah on the first trip we did i90 to Chicago then split in Wisconsin somewhere, Britt took 90 the whole way and I took 94 since I had Jeep poo poo to drop off in Bismarck. Met back up at a motel in Columbus MT having already gone through the foothills, did the continental divide and a bunch more during daylight. I know it was dark by the time we crossed the Columbia at Vantage and we did the entirety of Snoqualmie in the dark, which I was kind of sad about.

All I remember is that everything from like, Western PA to the middle of Montana can go gently caress itself, and the Eastern half of Washington sucks too. Western Montana and Idaho were cool except for all the neonazis, beautiful place. In fact some of my favorite pictures of my dumb truck is from a spot near Regis MT at Mullan Gulch Rd where I pulled off of 90 because I ran out of gas (again) and refilled from the aux tank (again) while taking tourist pictures:

For this upcoming run I'm thinking 90 to Chicago, 80 and 76 from there to Colorado, then 25/287/80/84 to my aunt's place in John Day OR, then from there to Washington by the fastest route. I've got a bunch of people to visit along the way that I've known for years but never met.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's not the fastest route by any stretch, but if you head all the way West to Newport or Astoria and take 101 up the coast to Long Beach, then head East up to the Peninsula via the back route it's a really pretty drive this time of year.

Also try taking Steven's pass via highway 2 next time you need to cross the cascades, it's a beautiful road, much nicer than I-90 views wise, and there's a cute little Bavarian themed town along the way that's worth a stop for a sausage and a beer.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Leavenworth. You’ll die of sausage poisoning before you manage to sample all the types of mustard.

There’s also a couple beautiful passes through Mt Rainier NP if you divert south off I90 through Yakima - but Yakima itself is loving terrible. I cannot emphasize that enough.

Further east, for a good chunk of the Montana drive you can stay one valley over from I90 on State Highways. That’s a gorgeous drive, no traffic, and you really don’t lose much time if you weren’t going 80+ on I90 anyway.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If you're not in need of making the best time, and your cooling system is up to snuff for a hard hill climb, it'll only add about an hour to 1.5 hours to go over I-70 out of Denver, and the scenery is worth it. Beats the crap out of Wyoming and you just touch the Utah badlands before turning up 191 to SLC. Just don't do it on a weekend or near afternoon rush hour. There might still be snow when you go. CO is known for freak snow dumps in March-April so watch the weather. This will also affect WY so don't skip it just due to weather.

Some samples:

Especially do it if you've never been there and aren't likely to go back any time soon.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

If you're not in need of making the best time, and your cooling system is up to snuff for a hard hill climb, it'll only add about an hour to 1.5 hours to go over I-70 out of Denver, and the scenery is worth it. Beats the crap out of Wyoming and you just touch the Utah badlands before turning up 191 to SLC. Just don't do it on a weekend or near afternoon rush hour. There might still be snow when you go. CO is known for freak snow dumps in March-April so watch the weather. This will also affect WY so don't skip it just due to weather.

Some samples:

Especially do it if you've never been there and aren't likely to go back any time soon.

No less than three people of different social circles here in Denver have said to me "March is our snowiest month!".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My cooling system is luckily new last summer after my radiator exploded while packing the first moving container. I'm more worried about the bottom end, I'm going to be asking a lot from this old wheezy pickup with a mild unknown engine tap. I wish I had time to LS swap it before driving because I've got the engine sitting here already.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

Leavenworth. You’ll die of sausage poisoning before you manage to sample all the types of mustard.

:hmmyes:

Leavenworth is touristy as gently caress, but still a great time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A Jeep owning SRA member that I know lives there so I might have to add that one to the list.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

5 ton made it to its new home in Richmond NH yesterday. 100ish miles with no insurance or registration because he is having to wrangle over whether such a vehicle actually exists with the DMV and got impatient, he knew I needed to move soon and I think he took the impending loss of my driveway more seriously than I did. I was very concerned he would get stopped or I'd see a headline reading "maniac from NH driving uninsured unregistered military-grade heavy truck plows into busful of nuns" today but he made it without incident.

I didn't want to post about this and give evidence that I knew he was going to do such a thing to the prosecution, but now that it's over without incident... :v:

My driveway looks shockingly empty now. There are two whole vehicles and two partial vehicles left here plus the Grand Wagoneer at the hangar, but I might keep that after all.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 29, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My reverse lamps stopped working on the 88 Comanche. Looks like I'm about to install the BNIB neutral safety switch I bought for my 96 Cherokee in 2010. I could try rebuilding the old one but I'm betting it won't even come off in one piece due to the rust belt.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

My reverse lamps stopped working on the 88 Comanche. Looks like I'm about to install the BNIB neutral safety switch I bought for my 96 Cherokee in 2010. I could try rebuilding the old one but I'm betting it won't even come off in one piece due to the rust belt.

I don't know if there's a pair of sentences that encapsulate your approach to jeeps more clearly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Right? I finally used the transmission output seal I bought for the same 96 Cherokee in 2010 last summer when I did the 4wd swap on this thing.

The drat thing went from fine on Sunday to no reverse lights on Monday and right to no reverse lights and no start on Tuesday so I went to the hangar for my BNIB spare, and grabbed the original one from the 2wd truck transmission while I was there. The screws in it are all seized and several stripped and snapped off so rebuilding that is a project for me later, I'm going to slap the BNIB one on when it stops raining.

The one nice thing about the 90-down harness design is that bypassing the nss to start is as easy as unplugging one Packard 56 connector and touching it to the battery terminal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well the NSS replacement was miserable as expected (it's on the side of the transmission, above the exhaust and cooler lines, and seizes onto the shift selector shaft, I busted the poo poo out of the old one getting it off and had to use a flat file in very tight quarters to decrustify the shaft before the new one would even come close to sliding on) but now everything works correctly again.

Also did the CV shaft in a friend's 98 Accord, she got quoted like a thousand dollars or something ridiculous like that. Car has been sitting for years (it's the one I helped tow to the hangar last spring and blew up my Dana 35 in the process... Which is why I now have metric ton leaf springs in the truck too!) Due to this and other problems. Jack was very worried it was going to take all day and screw up his chance at getting the plane back in the hangar before nightfall, I bet I could do it in 45 minutes. Actual repair time: 31 minutes including looking for missing tools. Honda really does know how to build a car well, I wish I liked driving them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, a few weekends ago Jack and I went to Ohio to pick up a welding robot he got a line on from a friend. Said friend bought it at auction for $350 a few years ago and never managed to get it running, and is now moving and needed it gone.

So we drove 600 miles on Saturday, took stock of the pile of robot stuff that he wanted gone, crashed for the night, and loaded up in the morning.

You need your wheels changed?

Then drove 600 miles back home with roughly 1500lb of robot in the back.

That all got unloaded a few days later. I've been working on the house and hunting down 4L80e cores for a friend's race transmission company in Portland since then. I finally got enough stacked up to crate them all for shipment Thursday so...

... Here is a 36 speed automatic Jeep Comanche

Those get dropped off with the LTL shipper tomorrow.

Today was a kind of a sad day though. The guy who's been talking about buying my Justy had time and came by. He decided he was interested so he got the car, every spare part I could find except the front seats from the moose-car I bought the front half of, and I threw in my 2 wheel car dolly just because it made the deal go smoother and I didn't feel like trying to sell it right now because people are idiots.

Goodbye, Justy. You were a fun car and I have a lot of regrets about never managing to find time to fix and drive. :sigh:

At least he's planning on building it into a rally car and putting together a nice hot motor for it. So it will be out getting driven instead of sitting rotting in the woods behind my house.

My driveway is getting really empty. The only cars I still have on this coast are:
- the 88 Comanche that's going cross country
- the Comanche trailer that's going cross country
- the 91 Comanche that I'm stripping for parts right now
- the 89 Grand Wagoneer at the hangar that I'm probably going to just keep and ship West at this point. I can't decide. It would make an excellent donor for everything except the sheet metal and frame for a build, and I'll never see an interior like this again for the price I paid. I might sell it but I'd have to really have my back against the wall financially to do that at this point.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Well, a few weekends ago Jack and I went to Ohio to pick up a welding robot he got a line on from a friend.

Naturally. Does it say property of Ford?

Shame about the Justy, but at least it's going to a good home and not a junkyard. Lots of good stories about that thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It does, in fact. In its previous life it welded exhaust manifolds all day long.

And yeah, I really just didn't want it getting scrapped. I got basically asking price for it so I'm pretty happy with how much I lost on it, it was more than I paid for the car by a significant amount but I spent a ridiculous amount amassing a parts collection I never used and got, well, most of it back I think. I stopped adding prices up when I went over 2k spent and just set the asking price at that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

It does, in fact. In its previous life it welded exhaust manifolds all day long.

That's cool as gently caress. No wonder why he didn't get far with it given the quality of Ford's welds. :v:

Bittersweet with the Justy. Always sucks to have to let projects go. It lives on at least!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What is the welding robot going to get used for, after the initial episode of "how to draw a dick in bead using g-code?"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

If it's the same one that welded the exhaust manifolds for my V6 mustangs throw it away, every single one had an initial tack at the collector that was solid, then the entire bead had just burned through the thin tubing entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I honestly have no idea what exact manifold it made, that's just what the jigs looked like.

The specs on it are pretty drat good and he's planning on using it for a variety of things. It's actually the third robotic arm he owns at this point. I'm blaming Ford for any poor accuracy :v:

My guess is the first task will be 3d surfacing of foam aircraft wing blanks that will then be fiberglassed for structural strength. We did pick up some of the welding equipment but there's no production welding involved, so I think it's getting a small milling spindle and a ball end mill put on most likely.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 2, 2022