Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Bloodhound Gang has a song on their first album (Legend in My Spare Time from Use Your Fingers) with the line "If you wanna look like Rocky, Dennis, better drink your milk" and it took me a long time to realize that there isn't necessarily a comma between Rocky and Dennis, and they're probably not talking about Rocky, the Sylvester Stallone character, and Dennis (the Menace), the comic strip character. It's much more likely they were making a Rocky Dennis joke, which seems about right for Bloodhound Gang. It could also be both, because that's how wordplay works. Sometimes Bloodhound Gang can be clever, and most of the time they're just dumb (but they know they're being dumb so it sort of works).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Trabant posted:

Just don't look up the original usage of the expression :smith:

What? "Death blow"? It's still used that way, isn't it?

Or am I missing something here?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
No, you're not -- I just don't think most people realize that's what it meant.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Grace meaning mercy in that case. The wikipedia of course refers to the Japanese gentleman who beheads the other guy doing seppuku.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

beats for junkies posted:

Bloodhound Gang has a song on their first album (Legend in My Spare Time from Use Your Fingers) with the line "If you wanna look like Rocky, Dennis, better drink your milk" and it took me a long time to realize that there isn't necessarily a comma between Rocky and Dennis, and they're probably not talking about Rocky, the Sylvester Stallone character, and Dennis (the Menace), the comic strip character. It's much more likely they were making a Rocky Dennis joke, which seems about right for Bloodhound Gang. It could also be both, because that's how wordplay works. Sometimes Bloodhound Gang can be clever, and most of the time they're just dumb (but they know they're being dumb so it sort of works).

tbg has aged a lot better than say Limp bizkit or god forbid Kid Rock

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I just found out some people don’t know who Gene Siskel is.

Sisqo otoh is definitely an rear end man

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Weembles posted:

Is there evidence that it actually started with the hellenistic system? With that kind of spread it's tempting to wonder if it doesn't have an earlier Indo-European source.

I did some more looking and found an article that suggests the system originated in Babylon, with the Persians, Greeks and Jews picking it up from them, and then the Greeks spread it to the East via Alexander. No primary sources listed for this, though.

And I think it's pretty clear the Romans did spread it to the west with their empire, given the words involved. It's not Kronoday. (Apparently the Romans also had an eight day week that they still used for a time, even after adopting the Greek week.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

And this system didn't just spread west, it went east around the same time as well, and the day names in many Hindu and other southeast Asian languages are based on the same planets in the same order.
Japanese, too, both the days of the week and the planets.

My "favorite" names for the days of the week are from Portuguese, where Monday through Friday are named "second fair" through "sixth fair," usually abbreviated: "Let's get together on the second."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

tbg has aged a lot better than say Limp bizkit or god forbid Kid Rock

Sisqo otoh is definitely an rear end man

I had a very small playlist on my 1st gen iPod and there was a lot of TBG in the mix. 100s of hours listened at work.

The guest appearances by Chasey Lain, Rob van Winkle and the inimitable Rip Taylor are burned into my memory as well as all the wordplay.

And then after 2002 or so never listened to them again, at all.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I just found out some people don’t know who Gene Siskel is.

baby that thong tha thong thong thong.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm a dumb white guy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vitruvian Manic posted:

baby that thong tha thong thong thong.
no that's sysqo. You're thinking of Siskel, the morally flexible commander of Deep Space 9

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

no that's sysqo. You're thinking of Siskel, the morally flexible commander of Deep Space 9

No, that's Costco. You're thinking of Sisko, the manufacturer of networking equipment.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

No, that's Costco. You're thinking of Sisko, the manufacturer of networking equipment.

Not that's Linksys. Your thinking of Cisco, the leading provider in health plan management and third-party administration.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Not that's Linksys. Your thinking of Cisco, the leading provider in health plan management and third-party administration.

No that's Sysco the frozen food trucks that bring you Applebees. Yr thinking of Cutco the knife guys.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Pookah posted:

Its got to be Paloma Schmetterling-Farfalle.

It's all variants of Melita. I like your idea better though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Pookah posted:

The notable Spectator columnist!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ebert was a hardline breastman it must therefore be assumed that according to Hegelian Dialectics Siskel was an assman.

Bomb rear end titties being the thesis, booties being the antithesis, the synthesis is the vaginur.

Mein gott, this is pure ideology. My dude, as any proper Hegelian would tell you the synthesis of rear end and titties is not something as vulgar as a a vagina, but that most important and arousing of organs: the brain.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pookah posted:

Aren't those three of Boris Johnson's middle names?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I had a very small playlist on my 1st gen iPod and there was a lot of TBG in the mix. 100s of hours listened at work.

The guest appearances by Chasey Lain, Rob van Winkle and the inimitable Rip Taylor are burned into my memory as well as all the wordplay.

And then after 2002 or so never listened to them again, at all.

This is giving me strong flashbacks of some kid at school playing that Eminiem "Slim shady" song and me hearing it for the first time. I was 100% sure the guy was black.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No that's Sysco the frozen food trucks that bring you Applebees. Yr thinking of Cutco the knife guys.

Well I'm thinking of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe85fIoqquY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7QW1ytIbq8

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cut Chemist is not Cut Copy, and they've got absolutely nothing to do with each other besides the names and making music.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

Cut Chemist is not Cut Copy, and they've got absolutely nothing to do with each other besides the names and making music.

I know Cut Chemist from Jurassic 5. Because they repeated the name over a hook.

Which is weird because along with Bloodhound Gang, J5 took up like the second most tracks on my first iPod. :tinfoil:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

For me it's just another case of hearing about them at the time, but not really paying attention to them or their music.

I actually bought Quality Control and Power in Numbers last year and really enjoy em, and now I know who Cut Chemist is. Then today I see the name Cut Copy by chance, and was like "oh, right, not the same people at all"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Google now tells me that Charlie 2na (not Tuna) is an American painter. And not just a J5 member.

Jessica Simpson is unavailable for comment.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Google now tells me that Charlie 2na (not Tuna) is an American painter. And not just a J5 member.

Yeah, and apparently he did a mural on a club in my hometown. Of Perth. Which is on the other side of the world from the USA and at least a two hour plane ride from anywhere. I'm still amazed by that.

E: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx7oz58Gl0

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Mar 25, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, and apparently he did a mural on a club in my hometown. Of Perth. Which is on the other side of the world from the USA and at least a two hour plane ride from anywhere. I'm still amazed by that.

E: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXx7oz58Gl0

badass

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Jessica Simpson is unavailable for comment.

I own a bunch of outsider art by a dude who got out google engined by resident evil. cool art but really hosed up my investment.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I own a bunch of outsider art by a dude who got out google engined by resident evil. cool art but really hosed up my investment.

Most of us are holding on to Wesley Willis ape pictures.

It's a long shot but he would have wanted it this way.

Rock over London, Diet Pepsi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vitruvian Manic posted:

got out google engined by resident evil

Haha I understand this perfectly because I'm smart.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
(He said, lyingly.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think they mean resident evil the game destroyed the possibly of searching for the artist of that name

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think they mean resident evil the game destroyed the possibly of searching for the artist of that name

Oh! That makes sense!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh I have some framed prints by Jill Sandwich at home.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Live will always go down in history as picking that band name at exactly the wrong time.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I can never remember if the band name is pronounced live or live

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
I pronounce it 'sword'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Vashro posted:

I can never remember if the band name is pronounced live or live

I remember them opening for Laugh and Love

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sir Lemming posted:

Live will always go down in history as picking that band name at exactly the wrong time.

back in the day, i obsessively renamed artists in my mp3 tags so they'd be like "Prodigy, The" and "Chemical Brothers, The" for proper sorting

looked kinda silly with "The, The"

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

correct. his name is Leon Kennedy. if you google him you get a lot of information about resident evil and not his works in the smithsonian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Sir Lemming posted:

I must be missing something. Why was June 1991 exactly the wrong time, compared to any other? Is there more than general marquee confusion (tonight: LIVE!)?