Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Nurgle corruption should just be lots of turds and farts everywhere

sentient turds fartin

Nurgle corruption makes the battlefield the average goon's cave dwelling/mom's basement. Cheeto dust, roaches, skidmarked tighty whities everywhere. A faint smell of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Battles with high skaven corruption are fought on an enormous floating rotting pizza slice

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Will patch 1.1 update my current campaign or only for new games?
I am seeing complaints about unit responsiveness, is this uniquely bad to this game? I haven't played any other total war games and just thought that units getting stuck on enemy forces and stuff was part of the battle mechanics. I am enjoying the battles on legendary and assumed that everything moving sorta slow was intended so I can manage all this stuff.
Speaking of mechanics is there a resource that breaks down the combat stat mechanics such as tiredness and the other not so clearly explained aspects of this game?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Vashro posted:

I am seeing complaints about unit responsiveness, is this uniquely bad to this game? I haven't played any other total war games and just thought that units getting stuck on enemy forces and stuff was part of the battle mechanics. I am enjoying the battles on legendary and assumed that everything moving sorta slow was intended so I can manage all this stuff.
Speaking of mechanics is there a resource that breaks down the combat stat mechanics such as tiredness and the other not so clearly explained aspects of this game?

There is general consensus that units are responding more slowly. I feel as if units have always dropped orders, but it seems like they are dropping them more often in 3. It may be the settlement battles where routing troops are constantly moving through your troops. I believe they've expanded the leashes on the units (like how far away the different models in a unit can be from one another) possibly to help them move through settlements and I think it's a disaster. Your front line can't hold things anymore because the units will just like wrap around each other and stretching one tentacle of mens to the archers behind the scrum. Combats seem to get a lot uglier as a result and in settlements your units can get horrendously split up. I haven't seen others complain but I have more success telling units to move behind the enemy rather than to attack to even get them to advance in and get guys fighting. They seem quite happy to let five dudes do all the fighting for a unit of 120. As for the whole "flyers or cav gettting stuck with like two models and rest of unit will just rubberband endlessley" this is not new. This has always been. I have used a lot of hawk riders. Mass changes may make it happen more. I believe the patch said it was addressing the unit responsiveness but not the other stuff. I have no idea whether it will break saves or not.

As for a resource, I'm afraid I don't have them bookmarked, but there are you tubers who have made some great videos explaining all the hidden mechanics in the game. Zerkovitch maybe? Turin?

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 24, 2022

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Enticity is a pretty good resource if you want to understand more battle mechanics, most of his content is from WH2 and used to be aimed more towards the multi-player crowd, but it applies to any battle in both 2&3. Him showing how to enable the vastly superior Debug Camera mode is enough to increase your ability on the battlefield by a lot, because you can actually see the whole battlefield at the same time on any map in the game

The only drawback to the debug camera in 3 is that sometimes it will freak out and take you far under the game world if you click the wrong place on the settlement battles' minimap and it's a bit of scrolling to get back up to ground level

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Vashro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF1l3dDfn8 Zerk did a video comparing 2 and 3 here which shows it pretty effectively. There's also the thing where everything starts in Guard mode now and ironically that stuff doesn't want to stick to enemies so it's a complete mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robS7ki8rh4

Party Elite did this ages ago, it's from TWW1 but it still gets the point across with regard to tiredness.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
1.1 is supposedly going to increase responsiveness.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I present a series of increasingly louder Hmmmms.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmm!

HMMMM.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

I held out because of lightning strike so I could actually clear 5 armies per turn raiding or sieging around my capital and when things get this stupid you end up with 100k in the bank so you can get pretty generous with the redundant armies and negative upkeep but

MAYBE PLAYER BIAS HAS GONE TOO FAR? JUST A LITTLE?

Got my VH Kislev win but wow, even for your traditional ball buster harder TWWH campaign this is some bullshit. If there's some playtesting CA didn't do it'd have to be on Kislev because what an unrelenting loving hellscape. Even with the -20% move speed commandment and Motherland up the AI just ignores it. Skrag's stacks didn't take Motherland attrition because ????(camp radius?) I couldn't catch AI armies even if(assuming it worked) they only had 80% movespeed. Kislev must be too close to Norsca because they have the "losers in tundra that move slowly in it" problem. The endless regurgitation of enemy heroes is pretty displeasing too, even if mostly visually. They don't actually do anything if you have -corruption up but, well, they're just stupid. There's also Skarbrand heroes in there even though he never managed to get his armies down here. Pretty bullshit.

For some reason Ungrim and most of the Empire factions minus Reikland held out for 110+ turns but never pushed back even when Skrag would lose 3-6 armies in two turns traveling to and fighting me. Maybe Ogre garrisons too good?????

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 24, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think the non-WH3 factions have had their AI kneecapped a bit to let the main factions have their day. But yeah, anti-player bias in this series has always been insane. I remember that one time that I saw loving Malekith march an army through crazy attrition and, you know, the ENTIRE loving MAP to send an army at me, Kroq'gar, because he was at war with me thanks to Malus (who I ganked early). Malekith took one look at Ulthuan and apparently decided that I was the best target? Somehow?

Sometimes the AI's hate boner is just too obvious. Kislev and the Prince make that readily apparent.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is artillery just jittering about and not firing a known bug? Sometimes artillery will just jerk around like it's having a seizure instead of firing. Not just mine it can happen to any artillery on the field. It's not necessarily a line of sigh issue - the UI is showing that they have a clear line of sight.

e: so many typos

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 25, 2022

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is artillery just jittering and not firing a known bug? Sometimes artillery will just jerk around like it's having a seizure instead of firing. Not just mine it can happen to any artillery on the field. It's necessarily a line of sigh issue - at the UI is showing that they have a clear line of sight.

In my experience, you just have to reposition the unit and it'll stop freaking out

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Vashro posted:

With vigor the way I understand it is that it gets drained by moving and fighting. Ranged attacks drain more vigor than melee attacks, and I've heard that hybrid ranged units (araknarok spider, missile Chariots, etc) can drain their vigor disproportionately fast since they simultaneously use melee and ranged.

Units completely drained of vigor get speed and defense penalties, they become easier to chase down and kill in this state.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vashro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF1l3dDfn8

first 30 seconds of this shows how slow they turn which is new

there are other problems of the units running off on their own or just running through things

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Gonkish posted:

I think the non-WH3 factions have had their AI kneecapped a bit to let the main factions have their day. But yeah, anti-player bias in this series has always been insane. I remember that one time that I saw loving Malekith march an army through crazy attrition and, you know, the ENTIRE loving MAP to send an army at me, Kroq'gar, because he was at war with me thanks to Malus (who I ganked early). Malekith took one look at Ulthuan and apparently decided that I was the best target? Somehow?

Sometimes the AI's hate boner is just too obvious. Kislev and the Prince make that readily apparent.

Hilariously when I started Ku'Gath down on the island (Haunted Forest), the dwarf down there who starts near Greasus just came charging down at me exactly like the dwarfs do at the traditional start so there is some definite hard coded grudges going on here in game 3.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Khorne really is easy mode, drat. I thought i'd give it a try but figured i'd hate it because monomelee.

It's still kind of boring but Skarbrands "punt a dude across the map" animation owns.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

dogstile posted:

Khorne really is easy mode, drat. I thought i'd give it a try but figured i'd hate it because monomelee.

It's still kind of boring but Skarbrands "punt a dude across the map" animation owns.

Skarbrand is probably the most fun you can have in the campaign. Just a happy-go-lucky genocidal maniac punting nerds across the map. Bloodhosts are an incredible mechanic: simple, throwaway armies you don't give a poo poo about that just help you snowball faster and faster? Yes, please. Plus, Khorne's entire roster just wants to get into melee and chunk everything to death. Your cav is fantastic, Bloodletters are loving insane, you get loving Minotaurs and Bloodthirsters, the Khornate Soul Grinder is strong as hell, you don't need to worry about petty things like "capturing territory" or "using magic", and Skarbrand is a one-demon doomstack.

Khorne is for happy fun murder times. :allears:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do you think I should see a doctor about these red circles?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Gonkish posted:

Playing Clan Skryre in 2 and having 'every elf in Ulthuan' send a crusade over to me, in Tilea, is still my defining personal experience of anti-player bias.

I just sit there, the Elves see me, they all declare war on me one after the other because of videogame racism, then they all try to kill me even though I'm pretty sure the climate is lovely for them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yah and there is no real limit to how far the AI can go since there is no logistical element to the game, and destroying their armies does very little except give you some money which is at least better than old titles.

One way I learned in 3k to deal with that is to stop building buildings, just hoard funds. Then you recruit around twice as many armies as you'd usually do, and send half to go on the offensive with. It puts you on a time limit but its the only way to reverse your position - trying to go tall is generally really terrible return on investment compared to just making more armies to go wide with. The deficit isn't real, it can't hurt you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's one of my actual biggest complaints with higher campaign difficulties- having to consider which bits of the map you dare explore because if you see certain places then that's 15 more AI fuckers who will DOW and beeline you even if their homeland is under siege.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My fondest memory of exploring being for the worst was when I was down in Lustria and went all the way up north just for the Exiles of Nehek to decide they'll spend 15 turns sending their stacks down my way while the dark elves take their lands unchalleneged

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Some form of anti-player bias needs to exist because the player is orders of magnitude more intelligent and driven than the AI(there are mods that turn the bias off in TWW2 and it makes the game so comically easy it's hilarious), but there seems to be no sanity or priority checks on it. I remember back in TWW2 playing around with a "Teclis starts in the badlands" mod and had Malekith drop everything and sail across the ocean with a half stack to try to take Barak Varr.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doomykins posted:

I present a series of increasingly louder Hmmmms.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmm!

HMMMM.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

I held out because of lightning strike so I could actually clear 5 armies per turn raiding or sieging around my capital and when things get this stupid you end up with 100k in the bank so you can get pretty generous with the redundant armies and negative upkeep but

MAYBE PLAYER BIAS HAS GONE TOO FAR? JUST A LITTLE?

Got my VH Kislev win but wow, even for your traditional ball buster harder TWWH campaign this is some bullshit. If there's some playtesting CA didn't do it'd have to be on Kislev because what an unrelenting loving hellscape. Even with the -20% move speed commandment and Motherland up the AI just ignores it. Skrag's stacks didn't take Motherland attrition because ????(camp radius?) I couldn't catch AI armies even if(assuming it worked) they only had 80% movespeed. Kislev must be too close to Norsca because they have the "losers in tundra that move slowly in it" problem. The endless regurgitation of enemy heroes is pretty displeasing too, even if mostly visually. They don't actually do anything if you have -corruption up but, well, they're just stupid. There's also Skarbrand heroes in there even though he never managed to get his armies down here. Pretty bullshit.

For some reason Ungrim and most of the Empire factions minus Reikland held out for 110+ turns but never pushed back even when Skrag would lose 3-6 armies in two turns traveling to and fighting me. Maybe Ogre garrisons too good?????

If you're going to be playing as Kislev you cannot, just CANNOT let Skrag survive that long, you take those first rifts to his home and stomp him the gently caress out before he leaves the crib. It wouldn't stop the other nonsense, but at least you wouldn't be dealing with getting hit from behind.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Onmi posted:

If you're going to be playing as Kislev you cannot, just CANNOT let Skrag survive that long, you take those first rifts to his home and stomp him the gently caress out before he leaves the crib. It wouldn't stop the other nonsense, but at least you wouldn't be dealing with getting hit from behind.
I'm playing a Boris game to try doing this and Skrag is stuck in the mountains losing ground to Franz, somehow :sigh: (I was considering loading the game and going somewhere else because if Skrag would beat up Katarin, she may end up willing to confederate). The good news is that Marienburg was owned by Norscans so I could take it without pissing off the Empire. And I guess I'll be taking Reikland because I'll have to take land from Franz to complete taking the mountains...

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

As Skrag, taking Marienburg just requires a few small gifts thrown at Toddy and Karl if you want to keep them happy. In fact Toddy grabbed that territory next to the wood elves, and fifty turns later we were military allies and he just gave me it. Like Toddy is all about complete provinces as much as us. I bet Kislev can really fly if you play diplomacy well.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm playing a Boris game to try doing this and Skrag is stuck in the mountains losing ground to Franz, somehow :sigh: (I was considering loading the game and going somewhere else because if Skrag would beat up Katarin, she may end up willing to confederate). The good news is that Marienburg was owned by Norscans so I could take it without pissing off the Empire. And I guess I'll be taking Reikland because I'll have to take land from Franz to complete taking the mountains...

You can just buy the property off of Franz, or you can trade with it. Some factions are loving annoying with trading factions (Stirland you do not need the Icedrake Fjord it's nowhere near your territory PLEASE-) but you can also do some loving amazingly broken poo poo. For example. You don't want the territory outside the great wall of Cathay, it's very bad. However, Miao Ying will take that territory for any of her green territory for your faction. Hmm, that seems good but- what's that? Miao Ying is willing to sell the settlement she just traded you and gave you money for, for nothing in fact? Then on the next turn you trade the settlement you first traded her for another of her settlements, repeating the process and snapping up all the green provinces in Cathay?

Yeah. Start thinking like a land tycoon.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Onmi posted:

I was aware but unfortunately my rift timings didn't really allow for it. I also picked up on Skragg not overwhelming all of the Empire and I calculated correctly that I could hold him back long enough to win the game. With lightning strike him sending 3-5 half stacks to bother Kislev didn't go well for him.

It's funny, I was losing cities(Pragg fell to 2 stacks from Demon Prince) as I entered the Soul Forge battle but since I won the campaign I get to smug it up at all these losers invading my destitute, chaos-warped homeland because GG no re.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Onmi posted:

You can just buy the property off of Franz, or you can trade with it. Some factions are loving annoying with trading factions (Stirland you do not need the Icedrake Fjord it's nowhere near your territory PLEASE-) but you can also do some loving amazingly broken poo poo. For example. You don't want the territory outside the great wall of Cathay, it's very bad. However, Miao Ying will take that territory for any of her green territory for your faction. Hmm, that seems good but- what's that? Miao Ying is willing to sell the settlement she just traded you and gave you money for, for nothing in fact? Then on the next turn you trade the settlement you first traded her for another of her settlements, repeating the process and snapping up all the green provinces in Cathay?

Yeah. Start thinking like a land tycoon.
I'll be honest.... I kinda want the 10 slot Reikland with its port for myself. Someone told me that they did something similar but let Karl live and he was level 5 on turn 100 or something. He's useless. I'm already friends with the other Boris (Team Boris heyoooo) who owns one of the Marienburg minor settlements, so I'm hoping by being friendly with him I can eventually trade for it, and I think he'll like me if I beat up Karl. I also want Nuln for its iron mine...

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Karl hosed up Wissenland and took Nuln and started to explode in like one of my campaigns so he just needs to hate his neighbors more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take: Kislev should be able to confederate Empire so you can have Reikland and Karl (and Boris :colbert:). Reiklandische Demokratische Repulik.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot take: Kislev should be able to confederate Empire so you can have Reikland and Karl (and Boris :colbert:). Reiklandische Demokratische Repulik.

Putin account spotted

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id like the ability to create bloc style things like that, although outposts are nice

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Gimme Stellaris Federations as a step between military allies and confederations please. Herding a bunch of cats that at least can't declare war on each other to gently caress everything up would be fun!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Gimme Stellaris Federations as a step between military allies and confederations please. Herding a bunch of cats that at least can't declare war on each other to gently caress everything up would be fun!

3ks alliances worked alright for that I thought.

Also I think it's funny Reikland gets no landmarks for Kislev and its port is just a port, making it strictly worse for them than Marienburg or Drakenhof. Maybe there could be a landmark that let's you vassalize Empire factions if you control it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

id like the ability to create bloc style things like that, although outposts are nice

Actually big ur-bloc factions as an endgame thing would be really fun for the full map. Nagash and undead, whoever unites chaos having mortals, daemons, and beasts, and/or subjugating the lesser chaos things as biggest rat, a big human bloc, Phoenix King Malekith (don't @ me), etc

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually big ur-bloc factions as an endgame thing would be really fun for the full map. Nagash and undead, whoever unites chaos having mortals, daemons, and beasts, and/or subjugating the lesser chaos things as biggest rat, a big human bloc, Phoenix King Malekith (don't @ me), etc
Maybe in Total War: Warhammer: Rebooted

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved all the promotional art of Franz swooping in on some orcs for TWWH1

And the one with Franz flying to Lustria.

Basically I just like Franz flying around.

Also the Empire trailer for TWWH1 was just loving excellent.

I really like playing Empire.

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'll be honest.... I kinda want the 10 slot Reikland with its port for myself. Someone told me that they did something similar but let Karl live and he was level 5 on turn 100 or something. He's useless. I'm already friends with the other Boris (Team Boris heyoooo) who owns one of the Marienburg minor settlements, so I'm hoping by being friendly with him I can eventually trade for it, and I think he'll like me if I beat up Karl. I also want Nuln for its iron mine...

See while I see what you're saying... Haha... Reikland isn't 10 slots for YOU.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Onmi posted:

See while I see what you're saying... Haha... Reikland isn't 10 slots for YOU.
fffffffffffffffffff thanks for the heads up. Its at least a port, which I do not have many of as Boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jokes posted:

I loved all the promotional art of Franz swooping in on some orcs for TWWH1

And the one with Franz flying to Lustria.

Basically I just like Franz flying around.

Also the Empire trailer for TWWH1 was just loving excellent.

I really like playing Empire.

You can't post like this without posting the images, it's just not cricket