Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've gotten to the point that I just dont deal with dumb responses to emails anymore.

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, please talk to SupplierPersonB.

Me: Thank you SupplierPersonA, I will talk to SupplierPersonB! SupplierPersonB, are you available on any of these dates?

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, you need to talk to SupplierPersonB about that!

SupplierPersonB: Hi Real Muenster, what times are you available?

Me: Hi SupplierPersonA, as you can see (screenshot with what I said highlighted) I was addressing SupplierPersonB. SupplierPersonB, I listed my times in my last email.

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

Nobody reads. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dragonshardz posted:

Nobody reads. Ever.

I can read this TO you, but I cannot comprehend it for you.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've gotten to the point that I just dont deal with dumb responses to emails anymore.

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, please talk to SupplierPersonB.

Me: Thank you SupplierPersonA, I will talk to SupplierPersonB! SupplierPersonB, are you available on any of these dates?

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, you need to talk to SupplierPersonB about that!

SupplierPersonB: Hi Real Muenster, what times are you available?

Me: Hi SupplierPersonA, as you can see (screenshot with what I said highlighted) I was addressing SupplierPersonB. SupplierPersonB, I listed my times in my last email.

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

I will, in cases like this, move the no longer required person to the CC list. Most people who don't pay attention to emails also don't read anything they are CC'd on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just got a request to install Real Player.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

Sounds like someone needs to go back to the 90s :cripes:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

nielsm posted:

I had to google to see if you were being pranked or something. No, RealPlayer still exists and is (presumably) used by tens of people across the globe.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

"Unfortunately I can't fulfill this request as I do not have the necessary tools to travel back in time to when RealPlayer was last relevant."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Give 'em WinAmp 5.8 and see if they complain

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Got a ticket today from a customer asking for her home network to be made invisible? That's all it said.

We just recently started routing calls to our overseas mothership's call centers and the tickets we get from them are baffling at best. I average about a ticket a day from them and it's been months since I've had a legitimate issue for my team.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
As in...dont broadcast the SSID?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oyster posted:

The president of an MSP in my area messaged me on LinkedIn. I interviewed with this place a few years ago when I freshly had my CCNA but was still a printer tech and didn't get a call back.

They sound desperate see if they will offer you like 2x what you make now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D34THROW posted:

As in...dont broadcast the SSID?

Maybe? That's the best explanation I've heard so far.

Which is still extremely not my problem.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 25, 2022

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Is this somehow a disadvantage in this field? When I started those traits were considered desirable because everyone knew people who were good with computers were "different"

In the US, a disability cannot be legally factored into a hiring decision, so unless you have an obvious physical disability it's generally not a good idea to disclose until the offer stage or whenever you'd be requesting any accommodations.

Now, whether a person's neuroatypicality rises to the level of a disability is another question.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can't legally consider it as part of their hiring decision, they don't need to know about it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In the US, a disability cannot be legally factored into a hiring decision, so unless you have an obvious physical disability it's generally not a good idea to disclose until the offer stage or whenever you'd be requesting any accommodations.

Now, whether a person's neuroatypicality rises to the level of a disability is another question.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can't legally consider it as part of their hiring decision, they don't need to know about it.

This is basically where I was with it. I've also not disclosed before, so there was a certain anxiety around typing those words at all.

Bob Morales posted:

They sound desperate see if they will offer you like 2x what you make now.

The offer from the Job Fair thread (that is unbelievably patiently waiting for my full recovery from the concussion) is an 80% raise. I'll be okay.

I told a coworker about the whole ordeal. He had also interviewed with them about a year ago and has a friend there now. He validated that I dodged a bullet, and that's coming from someone working at the dumpster fire I'm at now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

n0tqu1tesane posted:

yeah, but the fact is that if it DOES come out I can't see it being something that hurts, because it is absolutely a personality trait that can serve in good stead in this field.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
In 2020 they offered a bunch of people $200 to use to buy stuff to work from home. We briefly went back to full time in the office, then went to a 50-50 office/WFH split. We had a few new people join since then and so far they haven't brought back that allowance. I sent an email to HR about it which I'm sure will go nowhere

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

We started teleworking in early 2020 along with everyone else, were pretty quick on getting laptops out to everyone, but are still waiting on the order to go through for home-use monitors to go with them. It keeps getting bumped back by upper management since it's non-critical. I'm pretty sure everyone who wants a monitor for home has already bought their own at this point, so I foresee us sitting on a bunch of monitors in our storeroom forever. And they're 27" monitors, so they're huge.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I put a ticket in with bittitan support on march 15th right after a tenant migration of our acquisition. I was running into some issues with migrating a couple of Teams groups.

They just responded yesterday for the screenshot song and dance. When their website says a 24hr response SLA. With a 48-hr window to respond otherwise it will auto-close, and permanently after 72. What the gently caress and gently caress you, 2 weeks is a completely unacceptable response time especially for this type of software product. It’s a data migration tool, people will start screaming about missing data about 30 seconds after they log in to their new account post-migration. Thankfully they only cared about the files and I could do them manually.

So, what migration tool do people like that isn’t bittitan and can handle Gsuite on top of 365? We likely have some more migrations coming up in the next year.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I just assume the absolute worst with any company’s support now. The labor shortage is real or something, I’ve been getting half assed baloney from Hashicorp lately. I opened a maximum severity ticket with MS the other day for a F500 big money app on their cloud platform and it took them three business days to assign an engineer. Was great they have all these global crit sit managers blowing up my phone/email/teams but couldn’t get a loving resource assigned.

I don’t know if anyone better than BT for migration stuff. There are some other companies out there but they kinda suck

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

i am a moron posted:

I just assume the absolute worst with any company’s support now. The laborwage shortage is real or something,

Also: companies forcing people to come back in for no reason.

Like, in this era, if you want me to commute, that's almost a non-starter anymore. At minimum,I'm bumping my pay expectations way up.

Especially in the areas of support. There's no reason someone at their desk at home with a VPN connection would have any less access to resources than someone in a cube farm (or worse, an open office plan), especially if it's reading a script and sending tickets.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if I managed people the only time I'd care about them working remotely is if they just couldn't do it effectively - so if they didn't have an internet connection that was up to it, and it was prohibitively expensive to get that fixed. Almost any other problem that might come up ("oh they're not getting anything done!!") can be just as much of an issue as when people drag themselves into a building each day.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

devmd01 posted:

I put a ticket in with bittitan support on march 15th right after a tenant migration of our acquisition. I was running into some issues with migrating a couple of Teams groups.

They just responded yesterday for the screenshot song and dance. When their website says a 24hr response SLA. With a 48-hr window to respond otherwise it will auto-close, and permanently after 72. What the gently caress and gently caress you, 2 weeks is a completely unacceptable response time especially for this type of software product. It’s a data migration tool, people will start screaming about missing data about 30 seconds after they log in to their new account post-migration. Thankfully they only cared about the files and I could do them manually.

So, what migration tool do people like that isn’t bittitan and can handle Gsuite on top of 365? We likely have some more migrations coming up in the next year.

Try CodeTwo?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bell jar posted:

I had to google to see if you were being pranked or something. No, RealPlayer still exists and is (presumably) used by tens of people across the globe.

They pivoted into facial recognition stuff. Mostly selling it to schools, although they just demo'd a access control reader with facial recognition.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

devmd01 posted:

Not sure if it can handle gsuite, I assume it can, SkyKick is what our MSP has used forever.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
This is my last week as the Enterprise Architect and head of technology at $Airline. I fly to Costa Rica for 5 weeks on Saturday, and while I'm there I (remotely) start my new job at $PremiumYogaPantsCompany which, if I max out my bonuses will put me at 2x my current salary. :yotj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I recommend just staying in Costa Rica.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nexxai posted:

This is my last week as the Enterprise Architect and head of technology at $Airline. I fly to Costa Rica for 5 weeks on Saturday, and while I'm there I (remotely) start my new job at $PremiumYogaPantsCompany which, if I max out my bonuses will put me at 2x my current salary. :yotj:

First, congrats!

Second, did $Airline come with any sweet perks? I'm assuming you'll get some comfy yoga pants to wear around the house for $newJob.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I recommend just staying in Costa Rica.
This is a test run to see if I can mentally handle rainy season. If so, I'll be moving there within the next year or two probably.

Hughmoris posted:

First, congrats!

Second, did $Airline come with any sweet perks? I'm assuming you'll get some comfy yoga pants to wear around the house for $newJob.
$Airline had decent flight benefits but that's about it. We're the child airline of a much bigger parent and we're literally down to 7 people in the entire technology org (developers, application support, etc.) to run an airline made up of (soon to be) 16 737s. It's just not sustainable. Very happy to be getting out of there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hughmoris posted:

First, congrats!

Flight benefits sound great, until you realize that they literally oversell every flight to ensure maximum revenue generating flights (i.e. a paying person in each seat) as a non-rev you are stuck behind anyone paying. So, you generally end up going to places when no one else wants to, such as Costa Rica during the rainy season, or flying at hosed up hours, neither of which guarantees you a seat. This was true for at least major airlines over the past 10-15 years. The 80s, 90s and early 00s (before and shortly after 9-11) were the best time for flight benefits, but it's gone down hill a fair amount.

Maybe I'm just crabby because I have to pay and fly in cattle class with everyone else now.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Flight benefits sound great, until you realize that they literally oversell every flight to ensure maximum revenue generating flights
We don't oversell our flights, so that's never been a concern. It's more the whole "we seriously scaled back our flying during COVID and haven't quite ramped back up yet".

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, I'm not sure how the smaller airlines/partners operate but I know United, SouthWest and American do it, and likely Delta as well.

Family worked for Piedmont->US Air->American as well as United, so I've really only experienced the major commerical companies.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Nice little sequence of events this morning while I'm in a meeting:

1. Email from User at [Location A]: "I can’t get my new computer to charge. I have checked the charging cord. ☹ What should I do?"

About 30 seconds later:

2. Group Chat Message from a Network Admin: "Just got word from Maintenance that [Location A] is currently without power, no ETA or known cause yet."

Shortly after that:

3. Somebody yells across the room: "Hey Nominal, don't you have [Location A]? Do you know why there are a bunch of fire trucks in front of it?"

Shortly after that:

4. Another email from that same User at [Location A]: "Sorry, I just realized that we were having an electrical fire when I sent that first e-mail." :imunfunny:

Turns out, it wasn't our MFD, IDF, or my little workbench area, so I don't have to care! I guess it was just something HVAC related on the roof. I don't know what exactly happened but the mental image of that user sitting in a pitch-dark room in a pitch-dark building typing out a "why won't my computer charge?" e-mail with the last of her precious battery life is the life-sustaining elixir that will propel me onward to my next vacation

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Years ago I was witness to it explains to a user that yes, the laptop does in fact plug into the power strip, but then, where does the power strip plug into? The building was without power at the time.

The conversation to take the user through a --> b -->c and get them to understand was simply amazing.

I also did recently have an international call where someone did flush a toilet off mute during s lull in the conversation. Zoom flashed to his speaker card and everything. Eventually didnithappen.txt happens to us all.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Years ago I had the joy of hearing about a call that came into our tech support queue from a store wanting to know what to do about a fire in their store (that was still burning and in the process of spreading).

They had printed instructions in front of them but weren’t sure what to do. They didn’t hit the “this is an emergency” option and came in on the regular queue which usually had a several minute wait.

We promptly told them to gtfo and call 911 if they hadn’t. Thankfully no one was hurt but the store was a complete loss (and likely would have been regardless), but still..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That reminds me a bit of this (tragic) incident. Propane flying out of a tank and filling up a store and the staff sticking around inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdnUZReoLM

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We once evacuated the entire building because someone thought they smelled gas.

Turns out it was someone eating kimchi

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 2, 2022

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

That reminds me a bit of this (tragic) incident. Propane flying out of a tank and filling up a store and the staff sticking around inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdnUZReoLM

Okay so I thought it was going to ignite like immediately, those technicians have Hank Hill rolling in his grave. They had all the time in the world to evacuate

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

why is the tank so close to the bulding, thats crazy illegal and the filling company would have refused to touch it

in my state, based on personal experience, no assertions made about legaity on other regions

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Roundboy posted:

The conversation to take the user through a --> b -->c and get them to understand was simply amazing.

About 15 years ago when I started in the industry experts were saying that with computers being ubiquitous, and everyone growing up with them, people would eventually be so tech-savvy that front line IT would become completely unnecessary.

Thankfully for my job prospects, that’s not the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I went back to do my Masters in 2020 I still got told that in the very near future all work will happen on phones. People are bad at accurately predicting the present.