Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1507360792500449300

i can possibly believe it maybe. take Mariupol and then declare victory. i just don't think putin will fully go for it.

Putin isn't even the biggest obstacle to that - there's no way Ukraine will go for it. I'm sure Putin will wish he can end the war as unilaterally as he started it but if he stops at Mariupol then withdraws his troops it'll be a complete defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chalks posted:

Putin isn't even the biggest obstacle to that - there's no way Ukraine will go for it. I'm sure Putin will wish he can end the war as unilaterally as he started it but if he stops at Mariupol then withdraws his troops it'll be a complete defeat.

I'm assuming that Putin thinks they can dig in and defend, which....best of luck to them.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hand Row posted:

That’s not the the Snake Island guys, those are other people there.

Oh drat, says unconfirmed if those guys are amongst them. I got overexcited. Sorry!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

I'm assuming that Putin thinks they can dig in and defend, which....best of luck to them.

Yeah, feels like the fundamental issue remains that they will need to send multiple tens of thousands of troops to reinforce these positions they've taken if they hope to hold them indefinitely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again, Ukraine is gonna go "Oh that's nice, you've stopped fighting. We haven't"

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1507317719091318786?s=20&t=BNhV4RyWicHS5Usuxb4o5g

exactly, this cover for when poo poo implodes the Russian forces will just leave/retreat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If Putin genuinely believes what he spouts about gender etc, I wonder if he ever will be explained how he misunderstood it and realizes that he could have been an economic superpower just by playing it better. If it's just propaganda to get conservative Russians to side with his imperialistic ambitions, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Just have Putin do the GW Bush "mission accomplished" thing on an aircraft carrier only the carrier gets hit by a MLRS barrage half way through the speech

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is really clever but probably not clever enough to keep that editor from getting arrested.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mariupol was ALWAYS the objective. It's a city that can prop up a Novo Russia with it's huge industrial centers and sea access.

They will probably end up land bridging. But hopefully the ukrainians encirclement of the Nazi menace in west Kyiv destroys a ton of Russian combat effectiveness.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

eke out posted:

Yeah, feels like the fundamental issue remains that they will need to send multiple tens of thousands of troops to reinforce these positions they've taken if they hope to hold them indefinitely.

They also have to support and supply those troops. In addition to the dumb bombs here's an indication of the state of the military medical supply stores:
https://twitter.com/CombatAir/status/1507305453755277314?s=20&t=WOSqY87-qlFle2eYNx-q2Q
Which likely means Russia is losing functionally irreplaceable troops to what would, in any other modern military, be treatable wounds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This is really clever but probably not clever enough to keep that editor from getting arrested.

Its either someone with a broken irony meter or a call for help.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Chalks posted:

Just have Putin do the GW Bush "mission accomplished" thing on an aircraft carrier only the carrier gets hit by a MLRS barrage half way through the speech
Kuznetsov will sooner spontaneously sink

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

KillHour posted:

Russian journalism seems to contain some of the bravest people on earth along with the usual array of craven toadies

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KitConstantine posted:

They also have to support and supply those troops. In addition to the dumb bombs here's an indication of the state of the military medical supply stores:
https://twitter.com/CombatAir/status/1507305453755277314?s=20&t=WOSqY87-qlFle2eYNx-q2Q
Which likely means Russia is losing functionally irreplaceable troops to what would, in any other modern military, be treatable wounds.

Legs and arms getting chopped instead of dressed.

Wow putins war machine is just so good

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
Except they seem to have blown up a bunch of AzovStal stuff?

Chalks posted:

I think all the smoke makes Admiral Kuznetov a bad spot for photo-ops.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Chalks posted:

You don't need to shoot at the Kuznetsov to make it sink - it longs to be one with the sea, even when at a drydock.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This account has been dropping some hard sarcastic about celebrating the implementation of the Z-operation. Google Translate seems to capture it well, Russian speakers please clarify if it doesn't.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1507368276732620828

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1507367396989939738

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1507020849605328899

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its either someone with a broken irony meter or a call for help.

Maybe I give people too much credit but that reads as completely intentional to me. It's not just a headline - the entire page is blank. It's literally saying "there is no news don't bother buying a newspaper" which is not something you say if you genuinely want people to believe things are normal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, that front page is clearly a protest against censorship and being told what to print. It's drawing attention to how ridiculous the official line they're being told to parrot is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chalks posted:

its because he has no good way out. if he some how manages to take ukraine, it will be a super insurgency and he will be bled to death, if he bombs it to dust or WORSE, then he risks super isolation and active western fighters coming in not to mention all the fun escalations. if he retreats, he shows his belly to everyone and is hosed domestically. in all options his soft power is gone and his hard power is crippled for decades. he is hosed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Mariupol was ALWAYS the objective. It's a city that can prop up a Novo Russia with it's huge industrial centers and sea access.

They will probably end up land bridging. But hopefully the ukrainians encirclement of the Nazi menace in west Kyiv destroys a ton of Russian combat effectiveness.

Kherson, in the left, is actively under attack by Ukrainian forces. Mariupol is not only further from Crimea, but it doesn't even complete the land bridge, and Ukraine being close to Kherson means they could easily eventually directly threaten any roads to/from Crimea. Mariupol isn't going to do anything for Russia and is only being captured because its so deep behind Russia lines and so close to DNR/LNR to make it easy to siege.

Wasting so many resources on a city that is mostly shelled to dust gains them nothing industrially, and doesn't secure anything for them, and pins down forces that need to actually be nearer to Melitopol if they want to secure a land bridge.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ola posted:

This account has been dropping some hard sarcastic about celebrating the implementation of the Z-operation. Google Translate seems to capture it well, Russian speakers please clarify if it doesn't.

wasnt girkin behind all the donbas poo poo. i wouldnt be shocked if he isnt happy that putin hosed it all up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

eke out posted:

Yeah that is their biggest issue. Let's say they are able to actually take Mariupol which will likely be long and bloody to actually clear it they would have to invest a ton of man and material to hold it lest you have either insurgents or the Ukrainian Army to swoop in and retake it without much fuss. If they invest all the resources to defend Mariupol it takes away from all the other fronts they have ongoing.

Even if Russia ends up taking Mariupol they lose. Much like the rest of their end of the campaign there is no path to victory at this point. They are just wasting blood and treasure to prolong the inevitable. Everything they use is something that they can not easily replace any time in the future.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Kherson, in the left, is actively under attack by Ukrainian forces. Mariupol is not only further from Crimea, but it doesn't even complete the land bridge, and Ukraine being close to Kherson means they could easily eventually directly threaten any roads to/from Crimea. Mariupol isn't going to do anything for Russia and is only being captured because its so deep behind Russia lines and so close to DNR/LNR to make it easy to siege.

Wasting so many resources on a city that is mostly shelled to dust gains them nothing industrially, and doesn't secure anything for them, and pins down forces that need to actually be nearer to Melitopol if they want to secure a land bridge.

also like... Odesa is obviously the cultural capitol Russia wanted and would've been a literal symbol of their return to empire, a burnt down Mariupol is not some industrial powerhouse and it's not a hugely important Black Sea port like Odesa.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 25, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gort posted:

Yeah, that front page is clearly a protest against censorship and being told what to print. It's drawing attention to how ridiculous the official line they're being told to parrot is.

yeah there's literally zero chance that isn't absolutely, completely deliberate

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Gort posted:

Yeah, that front page is clearly a protest against censorship and being told what to print.

How does censorship in Russia work anyway? I don't suppose there are state censors looking over the shoulders of every editor before anything goes to print so I guess it's more a case of getting arrested/shut down after the fact if you don't toe the line?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well, it certainly was a city. Not sure what's going to be left once they're done. The infrastructure damage looks pretty immense, and that's before getting into the killed/fled/deported population.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1507343746932916225

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasnt girkin behind all the donbas poo poo. i wouldnt be shocked if he isnt happy that putin hosed it all up.
it's not real Igor Girkin, just someone's parody account

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Gort posted:

What's in it?

Dead blurred civilians, very crusty granma, 8yo boy in coma shrapnel in neck, dies later, destroyed buildings. Fun realized that my oldest boy is 8yo.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

:bighow:

I suppose this is one way to conceal an imminent invasion. Be too incompetent at running one that observers think it can only be a bluff.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, again, Ukraine is gonna go "Oh that's nice, you've stopped fighting. We haven't"

https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1507317719091318786?s=20&t=BNhV4RyWicHS5Usuxb4o5g

Strong Minitrue vibes :yikes:

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That twitter account isn’t the “Strelkov” Girkin, he only posts on the VK AFAIK

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FishMcCool posted:

Well, it certainly was a city. Not sure what's going to be left once they're done. The infrastructure damage looks pretty immense, and that's before getting into the killed/fled/deported population.

Worth noting as well: Industry is useless without the experience operators/workers to handle it. A lot of that knowledge is almost down to individual people. That industry is going to be useless for months, if not years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

yeah sounds about right. Mariupol is only wanted because they couldn't get it the last time, hence the Stalingrad fight. but they didnt really gain poo poo. except lose a gently caress ton of people that could have been used elsewhere.

Dwesa posted:

ty.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

A few boat updates

The two smaller ships potentially damaged in the Berdyansk explosion are headed back to Sevastopol.
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1507356001531572225?s=20&t=WOSqY87-qlFle2eYNx-q2Q
There's also a ship with some big guns lingering just off Odesa and some other Russian ships around Snake island
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1507341628008288305?s=20&t=WOSqY87-qlFle2eYNx-q2Q
The US is* working on arranging shipment of anti-ship missiles so things could get a little more spicy on the Black sea for Russia

*Edit for correction

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 25, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

How does censorship in Russia work anyway? I don't suppose there are state censors looking over the shoulders of every editor before anything goes to print so I guess it's more a case of getting arrested/shut down after the fact if you don't toe the line?

Primarily through any major media being controlled by Putin people. (Gazprom takeover of NTV is a huge factor; Meduza exists because when lenta.ru got too popular all its journalistic staff got forced out). Imagine if Murdochs owned all of NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN along with Foxnews and all the major newspapers.

For the smaller stuff, a lot of the later, plus a bunch of explicit rules, like having to call Ukrainian nationalist groups "forbidden in Russia organization X"[1], or having to print disclaimers about how this media organization is a "foreign agent".

[1] Which led to snark like "allowed in Russia organization Hizbollah".

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dwesa posted:

Igor Merkin?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chalks posted:

Related, by a political analyst in Kyiv: Ukraine will not surrender one inch of land to Russia – the west must understand this

quote:

Western analysts are trying to develop different scenarios for Russia’s actions in Ukraine. The “menu” is expansive: a protracted conflict with a gradual transition to low-intensity hostilities; a nuclear disaster; the use of chemical or biological weapons to bring victory in land operations; political compromise on the side of Ukraine and others.

The only scenario that is not discussed is the full restoration of Ukraine’s territorial integrity. Everywhere there are some “buts”, as if the need to “sacrifice” something to Russia is considered unavoidable.

It is impossible for Ukraine to accept any of Russia’s ultimatums. Not the recognition of the so-called “republics” within the borders of Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts, not the annexation of Crimea, and not the demilitarisation of Ukraine.

Kyiv understands that these concessions will not bring any security and in no way will they guarantee the withdrawal of Russian troops. Moreover, these “compromises” will not prevent a new Russian attack. To the contrary, they can only provoke a new Russian offensive against Ukraine.

Putin will be done fighting long before the Ukrainians are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It has been reduced to rubble. It’s very obvious that they don’t care at all about it’s industrial centres, and Azov sea ports is not something Russia needs more of.

PerilPastry posted:

Yeah, like that, for the outlets not staffed by government people.

Ola posted:

Yeah, they’re mocking funerals of Russian troops.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That’s not Girkin’s account.