Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That seems like they were going to let her keep believing that Harry Potter and magic and dragons and owls are real and only inform her that she's not a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume people don't use wheelchairs because it's a fun and convenient way to travel.

The thing that drives me wild is that the OPs story implies that its a non-powered, hand driven wheelchair. "lazy".

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's really important that I harass everyone who uses a mobility aid because I am the sole arbiter of who deserves to count as disabled.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That seems like they were going to let her keep believing that Harry Potter and magic and dragons and owls are real and only inform her that she's not a wizard.

IIRC there was another post ages ago by some parents who had actively led their child to believe that Harry Potter was real and they were all wizards in real life.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

teen witch posted:

AITA for removing the bedroom lock after my husband ignored a family emergency?
I always thought you had to choose between getting up early and staying up late, but this guy appears to have found the perfect lifehack around it. And the only consequence is his infant son possibly having terrible burn scars. (Yikes. I've had some bad experiences with burns, and it makes a huge difference how quickly you start treating it with cold water/ice and how fast you get to the emergency room if it's serious).

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for throwing out pizza crusts?

I'm guessing this guy grew up in poverty or with parents who were super panicky about technically edible food going to waste or something. It's weird. I always just eat the whole piece of pizza, and I've known people who won't eat the crust but will save it to give to their dogs, but never someone who saves pizza crust for breakfast the next day.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Lol that it’s canon the wizards sat back and let the holocaust happen.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

only the evilest wizard of all time wanted to stop the holocaust, because he was evil

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DoubleNegative posted:

Here's one from the "How could you possibly think you were an rear end in a top hat?" files.

AITA for favoring my scapegoat brother over his golden child twin sister?

this is a missed opportunity to drive the knife where it counts the most, the parents. a spoiled kid can be redeemed, its not like the girl chose that life, and normally it takes actually growing up to break out of that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was another post ages ago by some parents who had actively led their child to believe that Harry Potter was real and they were all wizards in real life.

I knew a dude who had been convinced his dad was a freakishly-strong mutant, possibly even with alien genetic origin (possibly Kryptonian) who had to be experimented on by the government to suppress his overwhelming brawn. Otherwise, he'd be an unaccountable superpower, ala the Hulk. Due to this experimentation, his blood and saliva was highly corrosive to "normal" humans and anywhere he sat and anything he ate had to be kept separate and nobody else could touch it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

It’s only a matter of time until they take manchild from us too.

They'll have to pry "manchild" from my cold, dead keyboard.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

"Manchild" is both a god tier insult and descriptor. I hope it never goes away and never stops tilting manchildren the world over.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Brawnfire posted:

I knew a dude who had been convinced his dad was a freakishly-strong mutant, possibly even with alien genetic origin (possibly Kryptonian) who had to be experimented on by the government to suppress his overwhelming brawn. Otherwise, he'd be an unaccountable superpower, ala the Hulk. Due to this experimentation, his blood and saliva was highly corrosive to "normal" humans and anywhere he sat and anything he ate had to be kept separate and nobody else could touch it.

Hahahaha that's great. Classic dad stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my sibling a ride after she refused to baby sit

Sister isn't obligated to help out Op in an emergency, that's her choice. But she doesn't then get to pull the family obligation card against Op for an (arguably lesser) emergency.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Lol that it’s canon the wizards sat back and let the holocaust happen.

I thought the wizards were fighting the evil guy who wanted to stop the holocaust. Because stopping the holocaust would reveal the wizards' existence or some poo poo? Either way. Bad.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my partner to stop doing work calls every day almost all day?

Guessing they live in a studio so closing a door isn't an option? Coworking spaces were a weird bubble, but this is one of those actual use cases where it makes perfect sense and would solve all their problems.

e: Or just thin walls. It's not that difficult to hang some soundproofing.

quote:

We have two rooms in our home; the kitchen and living room are connected, and the bedroom is separated by a door. Unfortunately the insulation is horrible as the building is old, and I can hear him very clearly even in the bedroom. It's not his fault, just the architecture really.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 25, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

AITA for saying that Harry Potter isn’t real?

I can't believe you foiled our plan to give our daughter the most disappointing birthday!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A cake reading "you're a muggle lol"

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Barudak posted:

Letter at 11? pah, Im waiting for a an agent of a foreign empire to recruit me on suicide mission to restore an ethnic minority to their rightful lands when Im 50 and stoned off my gourds

If you can prove youre some tiny amount Jewish you can get the birthright trip for free I hear

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, fair enough. Childfree red herring aside, if OP's relationship with her sister is so distant that it's normal for the two of them not to contact each other for 4 weeks, they probably aren't close enough to hit her up for babysitting.

She seems to think it’s okay to hit him up for favors though

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Sounds like OP's friend might have dyspraxia, which is comorbid with autism more often than in NTs. Also, obviously, OP is a terrible person.

Poor proprioception is basically the definition of Dyspraxia, so I can see that.

Also, I love the little throwaway line about how the friend's therapist supports this, but OP "can't enable it". Tell me you think therapists are morons without telling me.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for giving my leftovers to a homeless person and forgetting to bring food home for my gf?

“I have a mental illness” that I have done nothing that requires doing any effort about so you can’t be mad at me checkmate gf

He deserves that lovely “friend” of the autistic guy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

“I have a mental illness” that I have done nothing that requires doing any effort about so you can’t be mad at me checkmate gf

Also nobody on reddit has ever had ADHD, not like his, according to him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I used to babysit for family whose daughters about age 6 and 7 weren't quite sure about Santa Claus being real or not. However, they were quite sure that my pet rabbit Momo was really the Easter Bunny. Of course he used his magic so he can change color and size, and it made sense he would live with me because that's 6 and 7-year-old logic.

So one year when the kids were debating whether or not Santa was real, I told both of them to write out a list of three or four items that they really wanted from Santa, and to seal the letters up with a bunch of tape, and I would take the letters to Momo, and because all of those guys know each other, Momo would take the letters to Santa direct. This way as long as the girls got one thing on their list, and I warned them, it might only be one thing because this was a secret special list for Santa, the girls would know he was real.

So the girls wrote out their list, I took the letters, and when I got home, I was very careful to open the lists, and text the parents what was on them. Each girl got two items from their secret special Santa list, and their faith in Santa was renewed for another few years. Their faith in Momo is eternal.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nvm

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

His explanations are dumb, but also check out lovely human two over here yelling at her boyfriend for a moment of empathy when engaged by a person in need. I could have easily also spaced out there and handed it over.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTAH if I cut down a tree

quote:

My family moved into a new home a little bit before Thanksgiving of last year. Great area with a huge yard for out young kids to play. During the winter the trees were bare and we didn’t think to ask what type of trees they were. It turns out that they are orange and lemon trees. Only the largest ones in the back. The other trees in the yard are..normal(?). Anyway our youngest son has and allergy to citrus. His skin breaks out if he touches it and his tongue develops red sores.It not life threatening. Just to be sure my husband and I consulted someone to cut down the trees. Our neighbor heard and became angry because a lot of the branches hang over into his yard and he eats them during the warm season. He told people in the neighborhood who reacted negatively. Apparently everyone loves the fruit from this tree (the old owners often let them pick as much as they want) They asked us not to cut them down but I have to think about my son first. WIBTAH if I had the trees cut

How DARE you remove the neighborhood's source of free fruit, which we conveniently have to put no effort into and which actively harms your family :arghfist:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Welp guess the neighborhood should pull together funds to move the trees

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
a little concerned with what my boyfriend said to me

quote:

me and my boyfriend were having a conversation about my friend that just got cheated on. he told me that he’s going to be completely honest with me and he said that he would cheat on someone if it was with someone better looking than who he was with, but he also said i’m the most beautiful girl in the world, so i don’t have to worry about that. i was and still am pissed at him for saying this. i told him this upset me and im concerned by what he said and he blew it off as a joke and him trying to look cool. that’s not something to joke about though and it actually was extremely hurtful. i don’t know what to do about this now. i feel like he just completely broke my trust for him and this caused me to check his location on life 360 like all day.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Captain Hygiene posted:

How DARE you remove the neighborhood's source of free fruit, which we conveniently have to put no effort into and which actively harms your family :arghfist:

I hope she makes sure that the tree is actually on her property, just to be safe. Don't want her to incur the wrath of TREE LAW

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Life 360 is just the creepiest poo poo. BF is dumb as hell too.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Tell me you think about :biotruths: without telling me you think about :biotruths:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sephiRoth IRA posted:

His explanations are dumb, but also check out lovely human two over here yelling at her boyfriend for a moment of empathy when engaged by a person in need. I could have easily also spaced out there and handed it over.

Yeah that part sucks too but giving away someone else’s dinner to the homeless rather than just giving them money or replacing it kinda smacks of weaponized incompetence + “generosity”

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sisal Two-Step posted:

By the almighty wisdom of the sexual marketplace she has no choice as the most beautiful girl in the world but embrace :biotruths: to trade up.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

A bit old if you go looking at it, but Bored Panda has infiltrated my Google News timeline and refuses to leave, and this caught my eye:

AITA for locking my door at night

quote:

Okay I’m 18 and in high school. School starts at 7:15 and I live 5 mins away. I wake up around 6 which gives me good time to leave around 7:05. Or at least I intend to wake up at 6. But my mom, every morning without fail wakes me up at 4:30am. He comes in and she’s like tapping me, flickering my lights, sometimes she lets our super hyper puppy in my room to wake me up. It’s so annoying every time I just cry. I can barely wake up at 6, 4 is way too early. I’ve asked her multiple times to stop and that there’s no need for me to be up that early, but she says that she’s conditioning me to be an early bird like her and that adults wake up that early. I told her that’s not true and I don’t want to be an early bird

Since she didn’t stop, and the days are getting unbearable to get through, last night I locked my door. I slept until 6 and felt great. When I woke up, mom was pissed. She told me that it’s disrespectful to cut off communication with someone for that long and if I do it again she’s taking my door away. She’s probably bluffing about that but she’s still pissed. Was I TA

Update: omg this got a lot of attention! 1. Thank you for the support..some of you told me to tell my dad so I will mention that to him when I can 2. Those of you telling me to wake her up at 2am …😂she would definitely take away my door then lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That sounds horrible but I hope she goes with the comedy option.

Like when you’re on night shift and people insist on you being available to them at noon it’s a lot of fun to call them at 3 am on your night off and then get very offended they don’t wanna hang out or answer trivial work questions

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah that part sucks too but giving away someone else’s dinner to the homeless rather than just giving them money or replacing it kinda smacks of weaponized incompetence + “generosity”

I mean it was leftovers and it was a direct request for food, I think handing it over automatically makes sense there. I don't think that gf has ground to stand on if she's not willing to ever go to that restaurant on her own dime

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm pro tree and wondering why son can't just not touch the citrus, which should be easy enough with them being in the back of this huge yard they have. But yeah neighbor is definitely entitled

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

axolotl farmer posted:

Please someone do a reading of these titles like a beat poem with someone noodling on the bass in the background.

I finally had some free time so, with my apologies to Tom Waits [hosting is mine]:

The SomethingAwful Jazz Quartet presents: Longing for r/Relationships.

I am sorry. So, so sorry.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my boyfriend to take off the pictures of his dead wife and also the paintings painted by her?

There was some incredible post on Reddit - not on relationships but maybe one of the dating ones - where a woman was asking for advice about dating a widower. He apparently still had the house decorated with many pictures of his dead wife and wouldn't change anything around because "she liked it that way". Anytime the OP tried to set up a special event or trip, the widower dissolved into a crisis about the dates in question being only a week away from the dead wife's birthday / death / marriage / anniversary / second time they went out / her birthday, which made it impossible IMPOSSIBLE! I did some sums and worked out that about 2/3 of the year was out of bounds because of various special days.

Of course, a simpler question would be to ask what you were getting out of dating such a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We accidentally murdered a friendship with half a couple who were low-key child-free. At the very beginning of the pandemic when things were really unknown we approached our best couple friends with this ask:

"Hey, you know that newborn that you've played with in our home, we need a short term emergency backup in the highly unlikely event we're both suddenly hospitalized while family makes the 5-8 hour drive to pick her up. We recognize this is a big ask and it's totally okay if you say no, but we trust you, would you be willing to do this?"

Husband says "yeah okay" while thinking "yeah okay." Wife says "yeah okay" while thinking "how loving dare you" but is apparently worried about :decorum: and that we'd be somehow offended if they said no. So she agreed and just silently resented us for years until they got a divorce and she sent us an email(!) saying she didn't want to continue a relationship because HOW DARE WE!?!

Like lady, we have many other friends, you know many of them. Maybe just say "no" to the thing that everyone recognizes is a huge imposition and we'll make other plans.