Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my daughter to get over herself?

I don’t understand! Are you saying my daughter’s a separate person apart from me? This is very disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for letting my husband do all these “emasculating” things for me?

so I'm trying to keep track here holding a bag.... emasculated!

cracking a couple of eggs over a griddle? emasculated!

White beads the ever living poo poo out of you in boxing.... you guessed it!

Jesus it's like the world is filled with things ready and willing to rip your dick off!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

DeeplyConcerned posted:

so I'm trying to keep track here holding a bag.... emasculated!

cracking a couple of eggs over a griddle? emasculated!

White beads the ever living poo poo out of you in boxing.... you guessed it!

Jesus it's like the world is filled with things ready and willing to rip your dick off!

Yes, that's why men are the tougher, stronger sex, don't you know. Everything out there from non-gendered moist towelettes to umbrellas is constantly trying to steal our dicks.

Mx. posted:

Acid vat for OP and her husband.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hughlander posted:

AITA for letting my husband do all these “emasculating” things for me?

When we lived in Japan more than one of my wife’s co-workers told her that she shouldn’t let me cook or else I would leave her for someone that would do it for me. I was working part time teaching English and spent most of my days learning Japanese with Philippina and Chinese mail order brides and bar hostesses, but apparently her letting me cook would be enough of a slight that I would be driven into another woman’s arms.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mx. posted:

I searched for this post title to see if there were any comments from this OP who can't tell the difference between a PhD candidate and a kindergartener, and found this instead:

quote:

I was blessed with three beautiful children and unfortunately, my eldest, Brooke, passed away when she was 5 years old. It rocked my world and I know I haven’t been the same since. I went through therapy and still attend to this day, but a part of me died too.

I will never let my daughter be forgotten. I bring pictures of her to events such as holiday celebrations and birthdays. I talk about her all the time. Every year on my living children’s birthdays, I think of her and how her once younger siblings are now older than her.

My daughter, Marnie, is getting married next month. I asked her if she was having a memorial table and she said no. I asked her about creating a seat for her sister who passed, as she should be a part of the day. Marnie told me no, for once she wants a day about her. She says she couldn’t have one event that wasn’t about Brooke. Even her graduation, I had put a picture of her on the seat. She said I needed to stop making my grief “front stage”.

I told her she was being incredibly selfish and until she goes through a loss like this, she’ll never understand. Marnie asked me if her kids would have to live under the shadow of Brooke too. I told her she should be ashamed and to get over herself.

My son says I’m being terrible and I need to re-evaluate my life. AITA?

quote:

quote:

YTA. I cannot imagine your loss, but you've hurt your two living children by never allowing them to move on, and in your fear of having Brooke forgotten, you have ensured that they resent her memory.
I feel the resentment is a two way street. My living children were too young to get their sister’s death and I had to ignore my pain a few years as they acted as though nothing was wrong. I don’t see why I should continue to hide my grief now that they can understand.

quote:

It’s like they don’t want to remember her. They change the subject when I bring her up, refuse to look at old photos. I just don’t get how they can feel this way, ya know?

quote:

They should miss her. Pain leads to happy memories. Why would they want to forget their sister?

quote:

quote:

You don't have to "get" why they feel the way they do nor do they have to justify their feelings to you. They probably don't get your insistence on telling them by your actions that they're less important than their dead sister either. Do you even want to continue to have a relationship with your living children?
Honestly, if they refuse to honor Brooke’d memory, no.

quote:

Even if they don’t remember her, they could humor me. Watch home movies. Look at photos. Have a drat memorial table.

quote:

They were 3 when she died, lived with their dad full time ages 4 to 11. Moved back in with me for a year when I felt I was stable then they chose to return to dad.

quote:

quote:

Your kids lost their sibling and their mother. You gave them up. You had every right to grieve but no wonder your daughter feels the way she does. You have no right to expect your daughter to uphold your wishes on her day.
I tried, but as stupid as it sounds, in grief, their issues seemed minor. “Your toy broke? At least you’re alive to play with it.”

quote:

Brooke has been gone 26 years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I searched for this post title to see if there were any comments from this OP who can't tell the difference between a PhD candidate and a kindergartener, and found this instead:

:stare:

Well I guess they made it clear who they care about, at least

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Here's one from the "How could you possibly think you were an rear end in a top hat?" files.

AITA for favoring my scapegoat brother over his golden child twin sister?

quote:

I (20m) has two younger siblings, "Joe" and "Jill". They're twins, both 18 and graduating high school this year. Jill is my parent's favorite, because they've always wanted a daughter, while Joe is their scapegoat, because I guess he's the bonus baby they never actually asked for. I'm mostly better off than Joe, as I'm the oldest grandson from both sides of my family, almost all of whom are just as blantant as my parents are about their favoritism.

I felt really bad for Joe, so I did what I could to make him feel less alone. Like when Jill got to go shopping with mommy and daddy, I took Joe skating with my friends. When our parents were too busy watching Jill's kiddie pageant, I dragged my best bud to sit through Joe's elementary school musical. Small things like that. It all started as pity moves, but soon my friends pretty much like Joe better than me, while Jill's princess syndrome got in her head, so now I spend more time with Joe because I simply like him better than Jill. Never said it out loud, but I don't make it a secret either that I prefer not to spend my time with entitled brats.

Anyway, like I said they're graduating soon. They both already had their choice of college, accomodations, etc. Jill's going to a uni in SF, fully funded by our parents, unsurprisingly. Joe's going to the same Uni as mine in Seattle, but different campus just 20ish minutes away. He got a full ride, which apparently makes him ineligible to get any financial help from his own parents. This is also hardly surprising, so I made some calls to ask around, see if anyone is hiring next fall. I did this while on facetime with Joe. I was reassuring him that we'll find him a job that don't suck and pays enough, that he's better off without dad's money anyway because we both know it comes with strings attached, that this way, mom and dad wouldn't be able to stick their noses into his purchases. I got him to feel better about the whole thing and logged off.

I guess Jill overheard, because the next day she sent me texts after texts demanding I help her find jobs as well because she doesn't want dad "nagging her". When I told her, politely btw, that I don't know anyone in SF, and that she'd get more help from mom and dad, she blew up, saying all these things about me favoring Joe over her, which, yeah. It's true. I love both of my siblings, but I don't particularly like Jill. It's not like she's making herself likeable, though, so AITA?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lmfao, bitch is probeable on sa now? jesus loving christ

It’s only a matter of time until they take manchild from us too.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I remember when this was posted in the thread the first time. Great blast from the past. OP needs to hurry up and join Brooke already. She can use our acid vat. I like how like all estranged parents, she kind of cared for her kids for part of a year, but 20-30 years later they are still unassailably her possessions. Given her reaction, someone should probably look into the circumstances surrounding Brooke's death as well since this is some pretty textbook murderer poo poo.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

It’s only a matter of time until they take manchild from us too.

Or until they force you to change your handle

AITA for saying my friend doesn’t need a wheelchair?

quote:

My friend is autistic and they’ve made it through life to about 30 without needing a wheelchair. I know they have talked some about the counselors and careworkers they used to see growing up but they never mention much of it. They just mention a lot of speech therapy and counseling being traumatic for them.

Now that they are done with their PhD and are teaching full time. They want a wheelchair. They’ve been disclosing to me that they are “finally getting the accommodations they deserve”. They claim they bump into walls, desks, and have been marked off at work for it. And claim by time they get home, they are too overwhelmed to function much. So they are trying different things that help them.

He mentions that his sense of where he is at in space is very off and when he used a chair for a day, he found himself more outspoken, connected, and moving around even more because he could roll it himself and it didn’t feel as exhausted as walking.

Their therapist and their fiancé support this behavior but as their best friend I can’t enable it. He needs to learn to grow up and not be lazy just cause he is tired.

I suggested to him that he get tested by his doctor. If his body is in that much pain or he feels like his brain can’t tell his legs to move then he needs more help than a wheelchair. I asked him what his work thinks. He said that he thinks they think he has a terminal illness.

He snapped at me the other day when I said something about him taking his chair with us on a hike so he could try it out on the terrain. I told him to just walk —he doesn’t actually need it.

He listened and went on the hike. But then he went off the path, dissociating and got lost. It took hours to find him. By the time I did he completely shut down and didn’t talk. Just stared away from me.

I feel like he is faking. How can he talk one second and not the other? And when I called his fiancé she got mad at me saying I wasn’t supposed to leave him alone. That he can’t be left alone in those situations until he has a rescue dog.

Friends have said I’m too harsh on him. His fiancé told me he has “selective mutism” and I let her know if it’s selective why did he select then to do it?

I feel as if I’m just setting boundaries. But other mutuals don’t want me to hang out with him. He is such a fun dude I’d be scared to lose him. He’s hilarious and always there when I need someone to talk to.

AITA for telling my friend he doesn’t really need a wheelchair?
Sounds like OP's friend might have dyspraxia, which is comorbid with autism more often than in NTs. Also, obviously, OP is a terrible person.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

Love the implied threat that the OP, her mother, is the only person in the world willing to tolerate such behavior from someone and if the daughter doesn't shape up she'll end up alone and miserable.

Boomer truly is a state of mind but love the classic veiled threats technique of trying to control an adult child.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

i like the husband: "yeah honey you should totally post this on AITA, it'll be great"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for replying to a coworkers inappropriate texts by work email, and attaching them?

quote:

One of my coworkers who I had thought was friendly but that was it (he is married) sent me some inappropriate texts at like 3 am on St. Patricks Day weekend.

Asking me to come over and "have some fun" and saying that he had been into me for a while and knew I felt the same. (I don't, I'm a lesbian but not out at work)

He also sent me a naked selfie that (luckily) cut off right before his dick but ... Dang it was close.

When I saw them, I was out with friends and was like "What the gently caress... Ok this is a Monday problem". I have a really strict rule with myself that I don't do work, think about work, or answer messages about work outside of 9-5 M-F. I also don't use my personal phone for work stuff. If someone from work calls or texts and it's not one of the coworkers I see as a close friend and trust to not talk shop on the weekends, I'm not answering...

And I included dealing with this fucker as a "workday problem" so I ignored his message. He sent me several later first saying sorry he was drunk. Then saying he hadn't said it how he wanted to but he was still into me and had a feeling I felt the same.

On Monday, I wrote him an email on the work email saying:

"Hi 'Coworker'

I'm writing to follow up on your messages from the prior several days (See attached)

Please only contact me through work channels during regular business hours, I do not use my personal number with colleagues.

Additionally, I found the content of your messages unwelcome and inappropriate. Please only contact me regarding work.

OP"

I didn't send the email to HR but I did blind CC my personal email so I'd have a copy just in case.

And he got really mad, he texted me back saying I had crossed a line attaching his picture to a work email, was I trying to get him fired?

I screenshot that text too and attached it to an additional email saying "As per my prior email, please only contact me about work matters, and only on my business email or Slack."

He stopped texting me but he came to my desk to speak to me and before he said anything I asked "Is this a work question?" And he said I knew what it was about, and I said that I wasn't available for a discussion at the moment, if he did need to meet with me for a work matter, could he please schedule a meeting on the calendar and include a readahead to brief me on the topic of the meeting?

He walked off...

I feel like I was a bit of a bitch in dealing with it when maybe I could have told him to cut it out by text. But I'm also loving sick of dealing with this poo poo at every job, and I feel like my patience to use my own time and energy to gently ask guys to cool it is worn thin. And I want to set the precident that I won't engage at all, outside of work hours or work accounts.

AITA for sending that email?

quote:

Edit...

Looks like the overwhelming majority of y'all think I need to go to HR to get ahead of this. I was considering holding off to see if he cools it himself, but the way he came to my desk after being told off twice makes me think that's probably not the best idea.

I'm gonna forward the emails to HR, write up the conversation we had at my desk, and ask them to meet with me to discuss.

quote:

Edit 2...

I sent an email to HR this afternoon and they called a meeting with me the same day. I told them everything, though there wasn't a lot to say that wasn't already captured in the emails. And they assured me that I wouldn't have any more contact with him at work. They are going to meet with him tomorrow.

It's still not decided if he will be fired or if he will be moved to a different position where he won't have any reason to speak to me... I have a feeling it might depend on how he handles the conversation with them?

I do feel good about emailing HR, I feel like along with myself, I've possibly helped out other women by starting that paper trail if it turns out to be something he's done more than once.

quote:

Edit 3...

Holy poo poo.. I went out to happy hour with a few of my female friends in my field to vent. And one of my friends told me she'd met this same guy at a professional conference, given him her business card with her phone number, and he sent her a nasty pic too.

She just replied saying that that was inappropriate and she had a husband, and he said something about her husband not having to know. So she had her husband call him and leave a voicemail telling him to gently caress off, and then she never heard from him again.

I asked her if she'd be okay sending screenshots of the text exchange to my HR contact. She was, and she even wrote that she met him at a professional conference where he was representing the company, she gave him a business card for networking reasons, and he sent her an unsolicited lewd picture. And that she needed her husband to intervene to stop the harassment.

I haven't checked my email again, I'm trying to leave work at work and not dwell on this any more tonight. But it seems like HR will have even more to go off, before meeting with him.

always fun to watch some dickhead torpedo his career

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder why that creep thought escalating would work in his favor.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

Probably because it always had in the past. As evidenced in OP's post, it's never isolated incidents with guys like this. Nice to see sex pests get slapped on the wrist once in a while, though. This reminds me of the project manager or whatever who sexually harassed guests at a holiday inn while at a work conference and was in the process of getting fired but could not curb his self-destructive impulse to post about it.

AITA for asking my boyfriend to take off the pictures of his dead wife and also the paintings painted by her?

quote:

I've (29F) been dating my boyfriend (30M) for two years, we have an amazing relationship and I love him a lot. 5 years ago his wife died in a car accident, they were married for two years, they started dating in high school. I'm the first person he has dated since then and it's been difficult for him.

I know that it's crazy to say this, but I'm jealous of his ex wife, it just seems unfair, I'm a normal person with my defects like everyone else, she is the idealization that he has of her in his mind, it's impossible to compete with that. Every time he talks about her it hurts me a lot, he talks about her in such a loving way, it's like he is still in love with her. I have to say that he doesn't talk about her a lot, but when he does it breaks my heart.

We are planning to move in together and I'm going to be the one that moves into his house. Yesterday I told him that when I move to his house he has to remove the picture that he has of his ex wife on the night stand and also all the her painting. After I told him this he left my house, without saying a word to me. Since then he has not responded my texts and calls, I'm going to go to his house to talk to him after work.

AITA for asking him this? I don't want him to forget about her, I just don't want to have constant reminder that I'm his second choice in the house that I'm going to live.

I know it's subject to the same sampling bias as any other detail in relationships posts and there are plenty of widows/widowers who are able to have successful relationships after their spouse dies, same as how there are people who own pets or have hobbies and don't have it be a relationship destroying issue for their spouse, but have we ever seen a post where one of the characters is a surviving spouse and it doesn't create a problem where either they are the villain, like the woman who wanted OP to impregnate her so the resulting son would house her dead husband's unquiet roving spirit, or where their spouse is the villain, like Gimli, who smashed his wife's dead husband's ring with a hammer when his jealousy for him became too much to contain? I struggle to think of any.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 25, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Invisible Clergy posted:

I remember when this was posted in the thread the first time. Great blast from the past. OP needs to hurry up and join Brooke already. She can use our acid vat. I like how like all estranged parents, she kind of cared for her kids for part of a year, but 20-30 years later they are still unassailably her possessions. Given her reaction, someone should probably look into the circumstances surrounding Brooke's death as well since this is some pretty textbook murderer poo poo.

classy

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my boyfriend to take off the pictures of his dead wife and also the paintings painted by her?

commenter posted:

Yeah I don’t get people who say ex when the former spouse has died.

AITA for giving a woman her order?

quote:

A couple years ago, I worked at a grocery store deli. This woman comes in and orders all of the potato wedges in the hot case, I noticed that some of the potato wedges were looking lack luster as they had been in there for a while. I offered to make her a fresh batch of potato wedges, it would only take three minutes. She rejected the idea, I then offered to pick out the bad ones so that she'll only have fresh ones, she also rejected that idea. She said it was fine. I took two dollars off her order because I felt guilty about including the bad ones. 30-60 minutes later, her husband comes into the store yelling at me about giving her wife terrible potatoes, I tried to explain to him that's what his wife ordered, and I even reduced the price without her even asking. He doesn't believe it. I offer to make him a fresh batch for completey free, but it turned out we were completely out of potato wedges. He finally calmed down after about 5 minutes when my manager came to the rescue. So, AITA?
Imagine holding onto this anecdote for multiple years.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

Sounds like OP's friend might have dyspraxia, which is comorbid with autism more often than in NTs. Also, obviously, OP is a terrible person.

This guy is the definition of justifiable homicide.

As an autistic man with severe issues myself reading this one made me so goddamn angry it's hard to even articulate it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm going to go ahead and assume people don't use wheelchairs because it's a fun and convenient way to travel.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume people don't use wheelchairs because it's a fun and convenient way to travel.

You mean you never look at a slightly uneven patch of sidewalk and say "man, if only there were some way this could ruin my day"? Must only be OP.

Speaking of how the lack of accessible infrastructure fucks us all.
AITA for paying 10 cents for gas just to use the bathroom?

quote:

I was in a touristy part of my state and I had to go so I stopped in a shell station. I go to the bathroom door and find out I need a key. Key is for customers only, I'm told.

I am morally against corprations exploiting people who have a basic human need (I also think it's discriminatory towards people with certain medical conditions) so I go to the fuel pump outside, put in 10 cents, slam my receipt on the counter and declare "I'm a customer now!"

Before you ask, the bathroom wasn't even well-maintained and I would think twice if it weren't a giant corporation. I didn't need to buy anything and I realize that 10 cents of gas to protest the policy is petty, but does it make me an rear end in a top hat? I was technically a customer. My partner thought it was funny but my mom said it was stupid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Because they can always count on a legion of male peers to downplay it and minimize it, including softening the details, omitting key context, leaving out other instances, and generally trying to go "you don't want to ruin his career, do you?" to the victim ad naseum.

One of the few times I got actually angry in this thread was about a work harassment case where someone kept insisting the OP did the right thing "covering" for his boss who didn't report an abuse incident, up to accusing the people who said "doesn't matter if she doesn't want to file a complaint, it has to be documented the moment a superior is informed" of stripping agency from sexual abuse victims.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Invisible Clergy posted:

Probably because it always had in the past. As evidenced in OP's post, it's never isolated incidents with guys like this. Nice to see sex pests get slapped on the wrist once in a while, though. This reminds me of the project manager or whatever who sexually harassed guests at a holiday inn while at a work conference and was in the process of getting fired but could not curb his self-destructive impulse to post about it.

I know it's subject to the same sampling bias as any other detail in relationships posts and there are plenty of widows/widowers who are able to have successful relationships after their spouse dies, same as how there are people who own pets or have hobbies and don't have it be a relationship destroying issue for their spouse, but have we ever seen a post where one of the characters is a surviving spouse and it doesn't create a problem where either they are the villain, like the woman who wanted OP to impregnate her so the resulting son would house her dead husband's unquiet roving spirit, or where their spouse is the villain, like Gimli, who smashed his wife's dead husband's ring with a hammer when his jealousy for him became too much to contain? I struggle to think of any.

I mean, yes as you said it's 100% sampling bias. If a person loses their spouse and remarries, it's either so utterly irrelevant so that we don't hear about it, or it's part of the problem between two people. Someone has to be causing problems for these posts, so...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

i would like to murder this fuckstain OP

OP posted:

My boundary is to not be around someone who embarrasses me by pretending like he needs something he doesn’t. It’s embarrassing when people stare at us when he uses the chair some of the way and then gets out or stands up to get things off of a counter.

AITA for not giving my sibling a ride after she refused to baby sit

quote:

Firstly this is a throw away account as I am worried my normal username can give me away.

My sister (33F) 'Sherrie' and I (31F) had a great relationship. Nothing to fight about really, we are different people but get along fine. I have 1 child (5M) 'Jack'. My child's father isn't local not in the picture.

I got a call from my child's daycare that Jack was unwell and I gave permission for 'emergency pain relief' (kids pain killer to bring his fever down) but he will still need to be brought home asap and they gave me the covid policy speech. I explained I was over an hour and a half away but will organise pick up asap.

I was over an hour and a half away due to new work training. It's a huge opportunity for me and Jack and could change our lives of this job probation works out.

I rang my go to baby sitter but she was actually unwell herself and apologised as she could have been the one that made Jack sick. My ex MIL is elderly so not a help and I rang my mum, she didn't answer 3 times. I rang my sister and she said no, I explained Jacks car seat is at the daycare if that was the problem and I'd be home in under 2.5hrs and I'll pay her. She then went on a rant I have never heard, ever, she started saying she is child free by choice and she's not my baby sitter. I was taken off guard and said I have literally never asked her to baby sit before and was just asking this one time to help as she's my sister and no one can help me & this training finishes soon and I'll be home asap. She then said "I'm not obliged to help you or baby sit because I'm family". My blood ran so hot and I got teary eyes and just said ok and hung up. I left training early and cried the entire way back.

I haven't called or messaged Sherrie in 4weeks (not unusual, we don't talk every day)and yesterday she facebooked me that she needs a car ride as hers just broke down. I ignored her message because all those feelings came back to me and I wanted to cry. An hour goes by and she calls my phone and says " "Hey Op, can you pick me up from -" and I just cut her off and said "No I'm not obliged to help you or give you car ride just because we are family" and I hung up. She called over and over and I ignored them. I read the messages she sent me and long story short she is saying I'm an rear end in a top hat and I should still help her because I'm her sister and this was an emergency. Mother had to drive to pick Sherrie up and mother hates driving. Sherrie didn't want to call an uber because she doesn't like them.

AITA?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my sibling a ride after she refused to baby sit
Yeah, I bet this was the "first time" OP has hit up a sister who she's not close with and regularly go for months without contacting for babysitting when she's made her feelings clear and she went from 0 to a "rant" without provocation :jerkbag:

quote:

Mother had to drive to pick Sherrie up
and OP's mother couldn't pick up Jack because [missing reason]

AITA for being mad at the lack of food I like?

quote:

To give some context, last year my (F21) kidney decided to stop absorbing proteins and it caused me big health issues. I've been in and out of hospitals ever since then, getting biopsies done, pleural punctation, etc. To me, it was extremely awful because I'm extremely scared of needles and I have body issues (which the extra 20kg the liquid retention gave me, didn't help at all). To sum it up, I had to take Clonazepam for a while after I was discharged but still, nobody knew what the cause of my nephrotic syndrome was.

Two days ago, I had my last appointment where my doctor saw some exams and said my kidney had cured itself somehow and I was in perfect shape again. I could go back to my normal life, eating all the pizza and fries that I had gone months without tasting.

My family decided to held a small dinner to celebrate me finally being good but I just didn't felt celebrated... at all. They made chicken with so little salt I felt I did it myself back when I had the salt-free diet; there was nothing I liked to eat with the chicken, only salads (which I don't like), not even fried potatoes I was very vocal about missing when I couldn't eat them; for dessert, I thought they'd have bought ice-cream or something, but they did a homemade one I don't like because it has alcohol and some ingredients I don't like. It was like they just used me as an excuse to get together. I held my tongue and eat while I had to play babysitter to my cousin's children (I'm not a fan of kids, everyone knows it). However, today I told my mother how I was upset about being left out at the dinner that was supposed to be for me and she lashed out at me, saying how ungrateful I am and how I should be happy they even thought about holding a get together for my health.

I don't think I'm in the wrong, but maybe I can't see it because I'm still salty? So Reddit, AITA?

Note: my family is middle class, they could have bought or made some pizza, ice cream, etc. Money wasn't an issue in this case.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 25, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, I bet this was the "first time" OP has hit up a sister who she's not close with and regularly go for months without contacting for babysitting when she's made her feelings clear and she went from 0 to a "rant" without provocation :jerkbag:

quote:

I rang my mum, she didn't answer 3 times

quote:

As far as I know child free is just a life choice? To me it doesn't matter, children are hard work. You shouldn't have them unless you want them. I've seen the way people treat childfree by choice women it's pretty disgusting, so I can get what you're talking about here. I have never seen or heard her blow up about being child free before, I've never asked her to baby sit for a few reasons mainly because I am stubborn and don't like asking for help and I get very anxious leaving my son alone with other people. I mentioned in another comment my own mother didn't even baby sit until he was over two, and that was actually only because she asked me many times. So I knew she wanted to, and my son could talk by then so I gave it a go but also hired a baby sitter that I pay extra because she's extra qualified. I also have in-home camera surveillance for additional security (Jack and I live alone) and not all baby sitters are comfortable with that, so I was very particular with my baby sitter.

I just felt this one time Sherrie could help me so I could finish training and not leave early as I'm on probation and want to look great for my new role. She lives close to the daycare so could be there fast and I would have paid her, I'm just so overwhelmed by the entire interaction. I'm wondering if we are both ah's here....

it is kinda weird to call your sister for babysitting if you regularly don't talk to her for months though. i guess she was desperate.

e:

Invisible Clergy posted:

my family invited me for dinner to celebrate the last solid meal i could have for 3 months

then they served nothing i could actually eat

i think OP should feel entitled to have food they want at a celebration of them being able to eat the food that they want

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

It says in the story she rang her mum three times but she didn't answer?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mx. posted:

it is kinda weird to call your sister for babysitting if you regularly don't talk to her for months though. i guess she was desperate.

e:

my family invited me for dinner to celebrate the last solid meal i could have for 3 months

then they served nothing i could actually eat

i think OP should feel entitled to have food they want at a celebration of them being able to eat the food that they want

Yeah, fair enough. Childfree red herring aside, if OP's relationship with her sister is so distant that it's normal for the two of them not to contact each other for 4 weeks, they probably aren't close enough to hit her up for babysitting.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It says in the story she rang her mum three times but she didn't answer?

Yes, thank you; I missed it.

AITA for throwing out pizza crusts?

quote:

My husband and I had pizza last night and I put the box out in the counter during the night because I didn't want to throw it out in the outside trash since it was cold. He left the pizza crusts onside the box and I put the remaining pizza in the fridge.

I was doing other things afterward, and was watching some YouTube video with my earbuds in. My husband said something, and I took out my earbuds and he said he wanted to keep the pizza crusts. I said okay and went back to my stuff.

The next day I saw there was a mess in the kitchen area and I completely forgot about what he had said about the pizza crusts. I threw the pizza boxes outside. Today when he asked about the pizza, I told him it was in the fridge. Then he asked about the pizza crusts. I blanked and fessed up. He got upset, and he told me I should have known he liked his pizza crusts. Honestly he was very upset and said I was a bitch for throwing out food. I told him that I wasn't a bitch and that it was a mistake on my part, and apologized. Still he's mad at me, and hasn't wanted to talk since then.

AITA?

Update: I tried to talk to him about the issue, and he said he was going to sleep instead. I tried to reason with him, and even joked that I could eat the pizza and leave the crusts for him to cheer him up a little. He was not amused and promptly went to sleep.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 25, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for removing the bedroom lock after my husband ignored a family emergency?

quote:

Background about my husband : He stays up late at night and has to wake up early to go to work. So when he gets home at 5, he has to get his 2hrs nap so he could both make up for lack of sleep and also be ready to stay up late to play with his console.

He values his sleep and has one rule in the house that he enforces strictly, which is to not be interrupted while sleeping. He literally put a sign on the bedroom door saying 'DO.NOT.WAKE.ME.UP" under any circumstances, just no, unless someone's hurt or dead though; in this case he said he still wouldn't be of much help anyway. The kids and I would sometimes wake him up but for serious reasons. He got mad and started locking the door. I get no access to the room for 2 hours but that's not the main problem.

This past tuesday, my 3yo son had hot oil spill on his hand while his 14yo sister was cooking, I heard him scream and saw that the oil was covering his hand and half of his arm, I brought the first aid kit but he was in so much pain and his skin looked really bad. I rushed to wake my husband up, I kept knocking but got no response so I tried to open it but it was locked. I spent a while between knocking on the door (he had his phone turned off) and getting dressed after my daughter asked the neighbor to drive us to the hospital. I couldn't wast more time cause my son was crying. The neighbor took us to the hospital and I couldn't help feel livid the whole time. We got home and my husband was pacing around asking wherever were and why I didn't answer his texts. I blew up on him after I showed him our son's injury and told him that I pounded on the door to wake him up but he said had his earbuds on and didn't hear a thing. I called him reckless and neglectful for ignoring a family emergency. He said I could say the same thing about myself for leaving our son unsupervised and causing him to get a burn. I stopped arguing and went to remove the bedroom door lock, he started yelling at me saying I had no right. I refusedto respond I just walked off to calm down. He didn't stop complaining calling me bossy and saying that by removing the lock I've destroyed his peace and quiet and caused him sleep deprivation. He's insisting I put it back but I refused.

I could be wrong for what I've done but I was frustrated and mad. AITA?

quote:

I don't have access to his console because he hid it after we had a fight over him leaving the dogs out the entire night while playing games. This was in December in cold weather. Now he keeps it locked in a storage box and carries the key in his Keychain along with his car key.

quote:

This is what I keep telling him, we had the same problem back when he was a YouTube vlogger when our son was months old!

quote:

The kids barely interact with him, my 14yo has her own stuff to be busy with but my 3yo misses spending time with his dad and wakes up early to see him since it's the only time of day he gets to see him.

quote:

I wanted to first and foremost tell him what was happening cause usually this type of emergency requires both of us (if he's available) to work it out. And then I wanted him to drive us since I don't drive and he doesn't let us call an ambulance because it's costly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSnR3YjucSw

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Invisible Clergy posted:

This behavior tracks for people who leave the crust when eating a slice of pizza.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teen witch posted:

AITA for removing the bedroom lock after my husband ignored a family emergency?

I fail to understand how this guy is materially different than having a bear living in the house except that if she hosed a bear by implication shed be an acclaimed canadian novel

Invisible Clergy posted:

Eat your goddamn pizza bones

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for laughing hysterically and violently at every thing my date said to embarrass him after he called my laugh appalling?

quote:

I went on a blind date with a guy my friend recommended, she said she'd known him for a while and thought he was cute and worth my time. She said he had a good sense of humor, wasn't a lovely person and that I would probably end up liking him.

So off we went to a bar. It was a little fancy but also loud enough for us to have to raise our voice and speak. We ordered some cocktails and food and he joked about something. I laughed, and I admit I have a slightly loud laugh and that I usually throw my head back and don't really try to stop it. I don't see why I should. He shushed me immediately and started looking around. No one was looking our way. He asked me to stop laughing so loudly and he asked if my laugh was fake. I was a bit surprised by his question but told him no, it was not.

I shrugged it off as just one weird point but the next time I laughed, he shushed me even louder. People looked at him shushing me instead of me laughing. It was irritating me now. He told me I laugh too much and he doesn't find that attractive. He asked me why I don't cover my mouth when I do and why I don't try to stifle it. He shushed me so many times that I'd had enough. I laughed maniacally at everything to embarrass him and it worked, he looked like he wanted to die. I laughed even harder when he said he wanted to leave. I laughed while he left. Then once he was gone, I paid for my drinks and left.

He texted me saying I was embarrassing and weird and I told him that if he can't handle a woman laughing normally, he shouldn't even attempt to go out on dates.

Was I too much?

:lol:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for laughing hysterically and violently at every thing my date said to embarrass him after he called my laugh appalling?

:lol:

This woman rules. Keep being rad

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Barudak posted:

I fail to understand how this guy is materially different than having a bear living in the house except that if she hosed a bear by implication shed be an acclaimed canadian novel

Eat your goddamn pizza bones

OP would have a blissful 3 month period each year where she could forget the bear was there. Also if a home intruder broke in, they might be frightened off by a bear. Bears can also forage for food instead of relying on their sexmommies to microwave them bagel bites.

The bones are where all the vitamins are.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for saying that Harry Potter isn’t real?

quote:

So I (19F) work at a campsite. It’s a vacation spot, and families usually come for 1-6 weeks. My job is recreation, where I set up activities for the kids and help them with it. Usually I have friendly conversations with the parents and with the kids while the activity is going on. They often ask me where I go to school, what I study, what I plan on doing, etc… A few days ago, one family (mom, dad, i’d say prob an 8 yr old girl and prob a 12 yr old girl) come to do crafts. They start off with the friendly conversation asking where I go to school, and then what I study. I told them where I go to school, and that I am a history major. The 12F child made snide comments about where I go to school, and then was saying history is such a boring thing to study. I wasn’t too offended and was just like “how come?” 12F starts ranting about how history is boring and why harry potter was interesting. I was honestly very confused, what does history have to do with harry potter? I replied with something along the lines of “yeah but history is a major, harry potter is a book” and the 12F went on about how I should study wizardy and magic, the parents at this point were helping 8F with the craft. . I was honestly like wtf they cannot possibly believe that harry potter is real and said “yeah but that isnt real…” and then the 12F got super upset and told their parents I said that. The parents got super pissed at me and were like “it wasnt your place to tell her its not real, that was our job as parents to do that, we were going to break it to her when she didnt receive her letter” making it almost akin to the tooth fairy or something. I just apologized and walked away to put the craft away, but then they complained to my manager and my manager gave me a warning. I didn’t think I was wrong for what I said but my manager said that i “was out of my place” during the conversation, so now I am thinking maybe I am an rear end in a top hat because i couldve just let 12F believe in harry potter. So reddit, AITA?

Edit: y’all i guessed her age, she never outright told me she was 12. She very well could be 10 or 11. Had I known the letter age I probably would have assumed lower. Its tough to tell 😅.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What letter? What the gently caress?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

In the fictional harry potter books the ubermench wizards recieve a letter from wizard school when they turn 11 or 12, telling them theyre better than regular people and get to go to wizard school

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Getting a letter telling in the mail delivered by magical owls that you're accepted to Hogwarts. Fans talk about getting their letter on their 11th birthdays. This is the inciting incident in the first transphobic wizard book. Harry gets his on his 11th birthday (though he was supposed to get it earlier, of course) but reading comprehension isn't exactly strong in that fandom.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And if they're afraid of not getting their Hogwarts letter, that's called benkinersophobia and I really wish I was joking.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Cloacamazing! posted:

And if they're afraid of not getting their Hogwarts letter, that's called benkinersophobia and I really wish I was joking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Letter at 11? pah, Im waiting for a an agent of a foreign empire to recruit me on suicide mission to restore an ethnic minority to their rightful lands when Im 50 and stoned off my gourds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Cloacamazing! posted:

Well, that's one term for it. Most of the others would probably catch a probe.

AITA for asking my partner to stop doing work calls every day almost all day?

quote:

So my (18F) boyfriend (19M) and I have been together for almost two years and living together for almost one. He works full-time from home as a customer support agent on the phone. He has also been working on a business for years now with a friend who lives on another continent. Recently, they have started to get truly serious about developing the business and have been doing calls every single day for weeks, with the calls lasting hours.

Geberally, the schedule will go something like this: my boyfriend will wake up at around 8-10 a.m. to start his full-time job, go on call at the same time with his business partner, and once he is finished his customer support work for the day around 5-7 p.m., he will continue the other call until around 8 p.m. to midnight. During the days he is off work from his normal job, he will still spend about 8 or so hours doing calls with his business partner, but sometimes it can be less or more. Of course there are variances, but essentially, this has been the general gist for weeks.

Honestly, I feel like the constant talking and noise is really taking a toll on me. I am very sensitive to noise by default (diagnosed with sensory processing disorder) and in addition, I cannot focus on college work or recreational reading with him talking all the time. I do own noise cancelling earphones, but I have to play white noise to drown out the sound still, and even though white noise is supposed to be relaxing and all, I get really tired of it sometimes and just need peace and quiet, which is getting quite rare nowadays.

I understand that he can't do anything about his contracted hours in his full-time job, and I've never complained about that. But I did complain to him today about the side business work he is doing, because I feel some days he could take a break, and I asked him if he could just have two days a week without calls. He seemed a bit annoyed but agreed, but in all fairness, I don't know if he will live up to it. He says the calls are necessary sometimes and I totally get that, but I think he could get away with not calling just even once a week, or calling for only a short time during the day, which he admitted. I feel so much relief when he is asleep or doing something thats not call related, because it is so relaxing to get some silence and not worry about having to drown out the noise with more noise.

Is it reasonable for me to ask this of him? Or am I overstepping a boundary?

AITA for giving my leftovers to a homeless person and forgetting to bring food home for my gf?

quote:

Hello all,

I(M20) am bit of a foodie and every once in awhile I like to go to expensive restraunts I wouldn't normally go to and just enjoy eating a meal by myself. I mentioned I am going to this once restraunt in particular my gf (F21) has went to before and loves and she asked me to bring some leftovers and I agreed since that's what I usually do when I go eat out.

(Some background information before I continue so you get an idea of my personality) I grew up with 2 parents who aren't divorced but should've been about 14 years ago. The shouting matches were constant and still to this day (it's toned down a bit since they're both getting older but it's still obvious they aren't happy with one another) with a sprinkle of stuff getting thrown at the wall. This affected me heavily growing up but what came of it is me being the exact opposite of them since I didn't want be like that when I was grown up. As a result I usually end up being the peacemaker in my own situations or the level headed third party if others are having a disagreement; my point here is I almost ALWAYS try to find a resolution to any problems that cause conflict.

I also have been diagnosed with ADHD with moderate severity. I take Adderall in the morning but it wears off mid-day (I am against taking a second one in the afternoon) and when I am not on it I tend to be a little scatterbrained and my short term memory just likes to turn on the off switch from time to time.

Back to the story. I finished up my meal and had leftovers and as I'm walking back to my car a homeless man approached me and said he was really hungry and asked for my leftovers. Normally if someone asked me for cash I decline but if they ask for food I know they're genuinely hungry and not just trying to make a quick buck, so I ended up giving it to him. After that I drive over to my gf's apartment and when I walked in and she asked what I brought her I had one of those "Oh poo poo" moments cause I completely forgot my gf was relying on me for dinner. I told her what happened and she COMPLETELY went off on me (We've had a few small disagreements in the past but nothing like this, it's been pretty smooth overall) about how disrespectful it was to say I'd bring home leftovers and not do it, I don't care enough to think about her, etc. I tried offering a solution of going back out and grabbing food somewhere or cooking something for her but she was already mad at me and wasn't hearing any of it. I left shortly after this cause the atmosphere was pretty frosty and I get really anxious when I find myself in an unsolvable conflict so I usually end up making my presence scarce when this happens.

This happened last night and I am still trying to figure out how to smooth this out. So Reddit, AITA?

Edit: Since I've seen various comments mentioning this, taking a second Adderall would do more harm then good. After awhile you gain a tolerance to adderall and the doses become less effective the higher doses you take/the more doses you use. I have trial and errored various dosages and amounts I take throughout the day and what I am doing currently is the most suitable for me. If I go higher I gain a noticeably higher tolerance to it and if I split the dose into taking it twice a day it is not effective for me.

Edit 2: For everyone getting mad at me that I decided to go to this restraunt alone, this is something I have been doing for YEARS, well before I even met her. I prefer to eat alone when I go out to these places. Even if I wanted to take her I can't afford paying for another 100-200$ meal and I know for a fact she would never shell out that much for a single meal, it's not her style.

Edit 3: This subreddit is painfully unaware of just how difficult it is living with ADHD on the level that I have it; it's literally a mental illness I can't control and I don't decide when it wants to rear it's ugly head anytime past mid afternoon. I genuinely do try my best to set reminders when I can but it's not some end all be all to my problem. I will forget things/get distracted before I even have a chance to write down a reminder and the same can happen even as i'm writing it down. It's like someone else takes control of me for a second then I'm back to myself and I can have 0 recollection of what I was doing/what I was trying to write down just 5 seconds ago.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 25, 2022