Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There’s a Safari extension for YouTube called “Vinegar” which owns because it gets rid of YouTube ads by forcing the videos to play in a native video player (as opposed to YouTube’s custom thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah? I mostly use it for PDFs and not CBRs but if it's better for both I'll try it.

I've only ever used it to read comics and manga, but if you throw me a random PDF I'll let you know how it handles it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

There’s a Safari extension for YouTube called “Vinegar” which owns because it gets rid of YouTube ads by forcing the videos to play in a native video player (as opposed to YouTube’s custom thing).

Yeah this app is great. Deleted the YouTube app and just stuck a web link in its place. So much better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the Vinegar & Baking Soda bundle (for other video players), I had been meaning to get a good iOS youtube player thing! The ads are out of control. Now I just need something for appletv!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

priznat posted:

Now I just need something for appletv!

:same: last time I had people over they wanted to watch a bunch of youtube videos and for this usage case an apple tv is markedly worse than plugging in a laptop

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I made the mistake of using a YouTube Premium trial and can't go back. I do most of my YouTube watching on a TV with a Fire Stick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Detective No. 27 posted:

I made the mistake of using a YouTube Premium trial and can't go back. I do most of my YouTube watching on a TV with a Fire Stick.

Idk if it still works like this for new signups, but YouTube Music is only $10/month and includes YT premium.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

priznat posted:

I got the Vinegar & Baking Soda bundle (for other video players), I had been meaning to get a good iOS youtube player thing! The ads are out of control. Now I just need something for appletv!

Oh great, I didn't know they made a version for other video players, thanks!

Hopefully this can help me get around players that prevent playing to Apple TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess you can always stream from the device to the appletv, so not too bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Idk if it still works like this for new signups, but YouTube Music is only $10/month and includes YT premium.

I'm pretty sure YT Premium is $10 and includes Youtube Music.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

priznat posted:

Thanks to you I just checked out the developers other apps and saw they have something called “Search Filter” that lets you nuke any domains from Google/DDG search results.

Before:

After:

This is amazing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 25, 2022

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Btw if you’re jumping on the Vinegar train make sure you go into Settings.app > Safari > Extensions > Vinegar settings and set the websites to always allow, otherwise I don’t think it’ll work as expected. The warning sounds scary but obviously the extension needs to be able to read the websites html content in order to replace the video player.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Awful app

You can't search with it, I end up using the forums through safari instead because of that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy moley. I'm loving the interconnectivity between the ecosystem. I was browsing forums on Chrome on my MacBook and then saw an icon on my iPad change, and when I clicked it, the page I was browsing on the forums was on my iPad. I had no idea that was even a thing. I didn't consider using Safari since I'm so used to Chrome, but I think I'll give Safari a shot. I've been finding that SA Forums are more comfy to use on Safari than the Awful app.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks to you I just checked out the developers other apps and saw they have something called “Search Filter” that lets you nuke any domains from Google/DDG search results.

Before:

After:

This is amazing.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amp-shockwave/id1587707585

They also have this to remove those loving terrible Google AMP redirects

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy moley. I'm loving the interconnectivity between the ecosystem. I was browsing forums on Chrome on my MacBook and then saw an icon on my iPad change, and when I clicked it, the page I was browsing on the forums was on my iPad. I had no idea that was even a thing. I didn't consider using Safari since I'm so used to Chrome, but I think I'll give Safari a shot. I've been finding that SA Forums are more comfy to use on Safari than the Awful app.

Safari on MacOS run pretty great. It's been my primary browser for years. The iCloud integration makes it a must use in my opinion if you have other devices in the Apple ecosystem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's the go to adblocker? Any other recommended extensions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have so much stuff synced in chrome it’s hard to make the jump to safari. I’d like to though just from a performance standpoint

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have so much stuff synced in chrome it’s hard to make the jump to safari. I’d like to though just from a performance standpoint

It's pretty easy to export all that stuff (including passwords) from Chrome to Safari/iCloud.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I use 1Blocker but iirc it used to be a one-time purchase and now it’s a subscription. Just checked the annual price and it’s pretty steep imo at $15/year but I’m grandfathered into their $5/year plan so that’s more palatable. I’m sure there are better options but I haven’t looked into it since it just works.

I’m also using NextDNS which does adblocking at the dns level. Kinda like how you can set your dns servers to Google’s 8.8.8.8 to get some improvements to browsing speeds but NextDNS has filter lists.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's pretty easy to export all that stuff (including passwords) from Chrome to Safari/iCloud.

Is that a one-time thing or an ongoing thing? Because I also frequently use Windows PCs and can’t ditch chrome completely

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that a one-time thing or an ongoing thing? Because I also frequently use Windows PCs and can’t ditch chrome completely

There's iCloud plugins for Chrome that will handle bookmarks and passwords.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-passwords/pejdijmoenmkgeppbflobdenhhabjlaj?hl=en

edit: I've not used these because all the Windows clients I use are work owned so my personal poo poo's not on them. You'll have to check them out but it seems like this would do what you want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m not sure exactly but I think with the newest iOS, Safari can run the same extensions as Chrome? So whatever Adblock you use for Chrome might have a Safari/iOS version. Worth a check.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Copy/paste between iPhone/iPad/MacBook will blow your mind.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not sure exactly but I think with the newest iOS, Safari can run the same extensions as Chrome? So whatever Adblock you use for Chrome might have a Safari/iOS version. Worth a check.

Are you sure you don't mean Edge, which is also based on Chromium? Safari is its own thing and I've never heard of automatic add-on compatibility.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Honj Steak posted:

Are you sure you don't mean Edge, which is also based on Chromium? Safari is its own thing and I've never heard of automatic add-on compatibility.

Yeah they're of thinking Edge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jabro posted:

Copy/paste between iPhone/iPad/MacBook will blow your mind.

I just took a screenshot of a Batman comic on my iPad and airdopped it to my MacBook. This rules.

I'm loving around with Universal Control. It's cool as hell. Is there a significant hit to battery life the iPad isn't connected to a charger?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No I definitely meant Chrome:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/25/apple-will-let-you-port-google-chrome-extensions-to-safari/

But I think I misunderstand what this means.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm looking to buy an ipad. i have no idea what to get. i'm mostly just looking for a portable screen that i can prop up on the coffee table and watch mlb.tv.

is one better than the other? the cheaper, the better obviously. and i guess i'd want a decent size.

any recommendations? any recommended vendors? ok to buy from ebay?

thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d just get the base iPad (not from eBay). It’s the cheapest entry point and it will serve you just fine.

It’s $300 from Walmart fwiw

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

No I definitely meant Chrome:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/25/apple-will-let-you-port-google-chrome-extensions-to-safari/

But I think I misunderstand what this means.

What this means is that Apple has provided tools to developers so they can make Safari ports of Chrome extensions.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
https://appsliced.co/ is the only site that im aware of that tracks price drops on ios apps. hth

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How big a step up are successive generations of iPads? I've been meaning to get a new one, but I'm also in no rush. If the difference is big enough, I can afford to wait for whenever a new one comes along since this is more of a bonus than a necessity (I can also afford to wait if the difference is small, but projected to be announced within a month or two). Otherwise, I figure I'll go splurge now. My use case: digital art; mainly Procreate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Argue posted:

How big a step up are successive generations of iPads? I've been meaning to get a new one, but I'm also in no rush. If the difference is big enough, I can afford to wait for whenever a new one comes along since this is more of a bonus than a necessity (I can also afford to wait if the difference is small, but projected to be announced within a month or two). Otherwise, I figure I'll go splurge now. My use case: digital art; mainly Procreate.

What do you have now?

IMO the M1 is a pretty big jump in the pros especially for the 12.9.

The battery also lasts forever now it seems like.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm not sure what it's called, but it came out in 2016 and was the first one that had a Pencil. The one where the Pencil charges by sticking it into the port instead of just attaching it magnetically to the side. The current gen is definitely gonna be a huge step up from my iPad, but basically it's just a matter of how much bigger a step the hypothetical next gen might be (based on the trend) before I get one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you are in the market for an iPad Pro it could be getting a refresh soon since the current models are coming up on a year old in April.

They typically do it every 12-18 months.

The M1 is pretty drat powerful for a tablet so I’m not sure what they have on tap for a refreshed pro but maybe more ram as a standard?

I don’t know if I can see them putting the M1 pro into the tablets just yet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hmm, yeah iPad Pro is what I'm getting. More RAM is always good for someone who does graphics and I guess I can afford to wait until late April or so to see if they announce a new one. Thanks!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do the newer pros still have the blooming issue or was that overblown macrumors stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Do the newer pros still have the blooming issue or was that overblown macrumors stuff

Eh I’ve noticed it when I’m reading in bed at night and it’s a little weird but it’s not a big deal imo.

It’s really apparent when using the dark mode in the awful app though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

Hmm, yeah iPad Pro is what I'm getting. More RAM is always good for someone who does graphics and I guess I can afford to wait until late April or so to see if they announce a new one. Thanks!

Following up on my own question, I just found out there was an event this month and nothing was announced. Does Apple only announce new models at events? Because if so, the next event is in June and I might get antsy and decide not to wait for a new model after all.