Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Good news! Vinegar Syndrome are releasing Miami Connection in 4k this May!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Hate that cover unfortunately

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

VS usually have reversible covers featuring the original art. Just make sure you buy the version without the slip.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
They really need to have a version of these releases that isn't a UHD/blu-ray combo pack because holy poo poo these prices.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Zavvi UK is having a 40% off sale on Arrow Video: https://www.zavvi.com/brands/arrow/offer.list

Looks like it includes a bunch of 4K releases and box sets too. (But not the Shaw brothers box set, unfortunately)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Brexit the Frog posted:

went with:

Cabin Boy

Hell yes

Oh my gaaaaawd!

e: The current HtBF Everything pack might be the first time I've actually been tempted to drop money on a VS release pack. I want both Thriller and Miami Connection, Cloak & Dagger looks like a hoot, and I don't know anything about Horror High/Stanley but maybe it'll be good? Also two mystery releases. Three things I definitely want, the other three as a bonus.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 25, 2022

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Kino Sale is live!

Anyone that doesn’t have it should grab: Lightning Over Braddock and Collected Shorts: The Films of Tony Buba

It’s only $7 and it’s a great quirky documentary.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ok why is everyone hype for Miami Connection? never heard of it, but def willing to order blind after New York Ninja.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

ok why is everyone hype for Miami Connection? never heard of it, but def willing to order blind after New York Ninja.

It's a famously terrible movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KidDynamite posted:

I can't think of a more iconic film set in the glorious city of Orlando. It's worth a blind buy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

It's a CD classic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

I'd heard of it over the years, but I've never seen it until now June 2022.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

It was made entirely because the director met the star (a real taekwondo martial artist) after being inspired randomly seeing him on a talk show promoting a book. The star had, by his own admission, never done anything film-related before, and mortgaged his school (in addition to borrowing from friends, and taking out loans and his savings) to finance the film, costing a million dollars (in 1987) almost bankrupting him even before it only played in 8 theaters for 3 weeks, all for a famously-bad film that has, through heart alone, earned redemption over the years since, to the point its Reassessments section on Wiki is longer than the Plot one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Connection

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

KidDynamite posted:

It's a beautiful example of movies made by people who shouldn't have been allowed to make a movie. There's a new wave band who all know tae kwon do, they're all twenty-somethings except for one guy who's like 45 (and is the producer/writer/star), and every song they play SLAPS. They fight against motorcycle ninjas that sell cocaine. There is an inexplicable dramatic subplot about a man finding out he's not an orphan. Every actor in the movie is completely untrained except in literal 80s strip mall martial arts.

It's amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lumbermouth posted:

It's a beautiful example of movies made by people who shouldn't have been allowed to make a movie. There's a new wave band who all know tae kwon do, they're all twenty-somethings except for one guy who's like 45 (and is the producer/writer/star), and every song they play SLAPS. They fight against motorcycle ninjas that sell cocaine. There is an inexplicable dramatic subplot about a man finding out he's not an orphan. Every actor in the movie is completely untrained except in literal 80s strip mall martial arts.

It's amazing.

So it is a perfect companion for New York Ninja

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNsDDnsrCw

I genuinely couldn't decide between posting Friends and Against The Ninja, so here's both of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

Indicator sale is live.

Columbia Noir #2, #3, and #4 are ~$40 USD each. Looks like regular (non-slipcase) limited editions are $13 USD (like Crimewave), standard editions $10 USD (like 13 Ghosts), slipcase limited editions $15 USD (like Corruption).

Some recommendations are listed. Region free unless noted. A lot of these are long-OOP Twilight Time titles from Sony and Fox that might not get a reissue any time soon in the US.

10 Rillington Place - US Twilight Time long OOP and this is a fantastic, haunting film.
13 Ghosts - No US release yet (outside bare-bones Mill Creek double), has several viewing options including using multi-angle as your ghost viewer. Also has feature-length doc on William Castle.
Age of Consent - Michael Powell's last theatrical feature isn't as great as his collaborations with Pressburger, but you get Helen Mirren naked and James Mason wonderful as always.
Buffalo Bill and the Indians (limited) - Kino's bare-bones disc is OOP, this is remastered and has Altman's intended color timing. (Region B)
Dragonwyck - Twilight Time long OOP and it's a Fox title, so worth it for Joseph L. Mankiewicz's directorial debut (produced by Lubitsch!) starring Vincent Price and Gene Tierney. Even has an option to watch an earlier transfer or a bit over-scrubbed newer master via multi-angle. (Region B)
Experiment in Terror - Blake Edwards does creepy noir! Really stylish, with one of Henry Mancini's best scores.
Eyes of Laura Mars - One hell of a slick American giallo with Faye Dunaway and young Tommy Lee Jones, plus you get some great supporting parts from Rene Auberjoinis, Brad Dourif, and Raul Julia.
Fat City - Underrated John Huston film.
Hardcore - Want a depressing, dark Paul Schrader film?
Homicidal - One of my favorite Castle films and ahead of its time.
John Ford at Columbia - Probably the most important item on sale right now. Features Ford's only screwball comedies The Whole Town's Talking (which has a hilarious double role for Edward G. Robinson), his first CinemaScope feature The Long Gray Line (with an incredibly charismatic lead performance by Tyrone Power), Gideon's Day (a comedy-drama with Jack Hawkins), and The Last Hurrah (terrific political drama with Spencer Tracy). None of these films are available in the US. Be sure to order Two Rode Together from Eureka/MoC for Ford's fifth Columbia film. [Region B except for Gideon's Day]
Little Murders - Bizarre, but funny dark comedy that's Alan Arkin's directorial debut starring Elliot Gould (has a hilarious cameo by Donald Sutherland, too). Shot by Gordon Willis and it's a Fox title, so this will never get a US release. (Region B)
Mr. Sardonicus - Another fun Castle film with extra body horror!
Night of the Demon - While I wish the limited edition came back, this is essential British horror. Has no less than four cuts of the film, plus two different restorations and tons of extras. Can't believe this doesn't have a US edition yet.
Night Tide - Dreamy Curtis Harrington film with Dennis Hopper. US disc from older remaster, this uses new Refn-funded 4K restoration.
Scum - Alan Clarke's dark prison drama, not for the faint of heart.
5000 Fingers of Dr. T - Weird Dr. Seuss children's film in Technicolor, with Hans Conried as the villain. No US release worth getting yet.
The Passenger - Antonioni, Nicholson, Schneider. Surprisingly doesn't have a US release. Plenty of extras.
Spring Night Summer Night - FYI, this is an identical disc to Flicker Alley, so go with what's best for you.
The Anderson Tapes - Slick heist film by Sidney Lumet starring Sean Connery
The Big Heat - Essential noir from Fritz Lang.
The Front - Martin Ritt's brilliant blacklist comedy-drama starring Woody Allen and Zero Mostel, both getting a chance to flex their dramatic muscle.
The Lady from Shanghai - Still the best edition worldwide, though slim possibility it's up for a UHD here.
The Last Detail - Great Hal Ashby film starring Jack Nicholson, also one of Randy Quaid's first roles.
The Pillow Book - US Film Movement disc exists, but this has more extras and the original calligraphy subtitles instead of player-generated.
The Tingler - US Shout Factory doesn't feature the restored "special scene" (from a blurry 16mm print instead), also more extras. Region Free!
The Wrong Box - Great British comedy by Bryan Forbes with a stacked cast, including Michael Caine, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Peter Sellers, John Mills - with a great John Barry score. Can't believe this doesn't have a US disc!
William Castle Vol. 2 - This has way underrated films. ZOTZ! is a goofy effects comedy, The Old Dark House is both gory and funny, 13 Frightened Girls is a surprisingly effective thriller, and Strait-Jacket is one of Castle's masterpieces. If you only picked up the first volume, make sure you get this too.

I'm looking picking up the first four Columbia Noir boxes and Mae West, though I'm having doubts on the noir. Seems too much of an impulse buy while the actual titles I'd like to pick up are just Crimewave, The Criminal Code, Twentieth Century (even if a Criterion edition is imminent), Invincible, and Irreversible. Though, the few noirs I've seen in the boxes on Criterion Channel - Drive a Crooked Road, The Lineup, Murder by Contract, The Sniper, and Pushover - are all excellent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
You assholes are going to bankrupt me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

welcome to the thread

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Physical Media Thread: You assholes are going to bankrupt me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hey friend can i interest you in the wonderful world of vinyl records

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

I'm suddenly happy I kept putting off getting the UK True Romance. Insta-buy for me now. Will probably wait for sales for Edge of Sanity, never saw it but it's giving me late Perkins/Crimes of Passion vibes, but without Ken Russell at the helm I don't know if it will be as crazy.

Goddamn I want The Devils and Altered States in 4k.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was in to that back in 2008 and 2011 but got out of it fast around 2019 lol.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

At least with vinyl there will always be a market of people who desire first pressings (WHITE. HOT. STAMPERS.), but no on in their right mind is gonna shell over a hundo for my Alamo Drafthouse Blu-ray now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

At least with vinyl there will always be a market of people who desire first pressings (WHITE. HOT. STAMPERS.), but no on in their right mind is gonna shell over a hundo for my Alamo Drafthouse Blu-ray now.

Should have sold it yesterday

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A Miami Connection blu is for life, not just for Christmas

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale

Indicator sale is live.

Columbia Noir #2, #3, and #4 are ~$40 USD each. Looks like regular (non-slipcase) limited editions are $13 USD (like Crimewave), standard editions $10 USD (like 13 Ghosts), slipcase limited editions $15 USD (like Corruption).

Some recommendations are listed. Region free unless noted. A lot of these are long-OOP Twilight Time titles from Sony and Fox that might not get a reissue any time soon in the US.

10 Rillington Place - US Twilight Time long OOP and this is a fantastic, haunting film.
13 Ghosts - No US release yet (outside bare-bones Mill Creek double), has several viewing options including using multi-angle as your ghost viewer. Also has feature-length doc on William Castle.
Age of Consent - Michael Powell's last theatrical feature isn't as great as his collaborations with Pressburger, but you get Helen Mirren naked and James Mason wonderful as always.
Buffalo Bill and the Indians (limited) - Kino's bare-bones disc is OOP, this is remastered and has Altman's intended color timing. (Region B)
Dragonwyck - Twilight Time long OOP and it's a Fox title, so worth it for Joseph L. Mankiewicz's directorial debut (produced by Lubitsch!) starring Vincent Price and Gene Tierney. Even has an option to watch an earlier transfer or a bit over-scrubbed newer master via multi-angle. (Region B)
Experiment in Terror - Blake Edwards does creepy noir! Really stylish, with one of Henry Mancini's best scores.
Eyes of Laura Mars - One hell of a slick American giallo with Faye Dunaway and young Tommy Lee Jones, plus you get some great supporting parts from Rene Auberjoinis, Brad Dourif, and Raul Julia.
Fat City - Underrated John Huston film.
Hardcore - Want a depressing, dark Paul Schrader film?
Homicidal - One of my favorite Castle films and ahead of its time.
John Ford at Columbia - Probably the most important item on sale right now. Features Ford's only screwball comedies The Whole Town's Talking (which has a hilarious double role for Edward G. Robinson), his first CinemaScope feature The Long Gray Line (with an incredibly charismatic lead performance by Tyrone Power), Gideon's Day (a comedy-drama with Jack Hawkins), and The Last Hurrah (terrific political drama with Spencer Tracy). None of these films are available in the US. Be sure to order Two Rode Together from Eureka/MoC for Ford's fifth Columbia film. [Region B except for Gideon's Day]
Little Murders - Bizarre, but funny dark comedy that's Alan Arkin's directorial debut starring Elliot Gould (has a hilarious cameo by Donald Sutherland, too). Shot by Gordon Willis and it's a Fox title, so this will never get a US release. (Region B)
Mr. Sardonicus - Another fun Castle film with extra body horror!
Night of the Demon - While I wish the limited edition came back, this is essential British horror. Has no less than four cuts of the film, plus two different restorations and tons of extras. Can't believe this doesn't have a US edition yet.
Night Tide - Dreamy Curtis Harrington film with Dennis Hopper. US disc from older remaster, this uses new Refn-funded 4K restoration.
Scum - Alan Clarke's dark prison drama, not for the faint of heart.
5000 Fingers of Dr. T - Weird Dr. Seuss children's film in Technicolor, with Hans Conried as the villain. No US release worth getting yet.
The Passenger - Antonioni, Nicholson, Schneider. Surprisingly doesn't have a US release. Plenty of extras.
Spring Night Summer Night - FYI, this is an identical disc to Flicker Alley, so go with what's best for you.
The Anderson Tapes - Slick heist film by Sidney Lumet starring Sean Connery
The Big Heat - Essential noir from Fritz Lang.
The Front - Martin Ritt's brilliant blacklist comedy-drama starring Woody Allen and Zero Mostel, both getting a chance to flex their dramatic muscle.
The Lady from Shanghai - Still the best edition worldwide, though slim possibility it's up for a UHD here.
The Last Detail - Great Hal Ashby film starring Jack Nicholson, also one of Randy Quaid's first roles.
The Pillow Book - US Film Movement disc exists, but this has more extras and the original calligraphy subtitles instead of player-generated.
The Tingler - US Shout Factory doesn't feature the restored "special scene" (from a blurry 16mm print instead), also more extras. Region Free!
The Wrong Box - Great British comedy by Bryan Forbes with a stacked cast, including Michael Caine, Ralph Richardson, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Peter Sellers, John Mills - with a great John Barry score. Can't believe this doesn't have a US disc!
William Castle Vol. 2 - This has way underrated films. ZOTZ! is a goofy effects comedy, The Old Dark House is both gory and funny, 13 Frightened Girls is a surprisingly effective thriller, and Strait-Jacket is one of Castle's masterpieces. If you only picked up the first volume, make sure you get this too.

I'm looking picking up the first four Columbia Noir boxes and Mae West, though I'm having doubts on the noir. Seems too much of an impulse buy while the actual titles I'd like to pick up are just Crimewave, The Criminal Code, Twentieth Century (even if a Criterion edition is imminent), Invincible, and Irreversible. Though, the few noirs I've seen in the boxes on Criterion Channel - Drive a Crooked Road, The Lineup, Murder by Contract, The Sniper, and Pushover - are all excellent.

This is an excellent post, thank you!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh gently caress Indicator too? I have a list of stuff I wanted but don’t know if I want to blow more money.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

curse this thread. i picked up:

Watermelon Man
The Lady From Shanghai
Night Tide
Modern Romance

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
FYI the newest email from Vinegar Syndrome says that the deluxe edition of Thriller is over half sold out, which is pretty wild imo. Get on it if you’re interested!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Holy poo poo, True Romance in 4K :krad: Day one buy right there

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah True Romance is a day one buy for sure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still riding the high of friends for eternity in 4k

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Interesting. What's up with that? I've heard nothing about it!

caligulamprey posted:

The white hot stampers thing is obviously bullshit but the lacquers (for those of you who aren't aware the lacquer is the master for the record) they make the stampers from absolutely make a difference. So that's a reason why people would prefer one pressing over another. If all the pressings or more than one of them use the same lacquer then the only one who'll know the difference might be your dog.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Why are these loving labels having sales at the same time

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
To break my goddamned life apparently.

Serious answer: Maybe meeting profit something something end of Q1?

A combination of gratitude and resentment to Egbert for the recs. RIP my birthday funds

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Absolutely none of you have self control and you should all feel dirty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hey guys this nice man just explained reverse mortgages to me.