Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That sounds like the expected return on each for your time invested is equal! That makes it more lovely to dip right away.

While it is lovely for people to drop CM and they shouldn’t do it, I can understand the logic somewhat.

- CM is half the time but also half the XP. So if you’re doing the once-a-day roulette for xp, you want to maximize your rewards.

- CM’s bosses are all more annoying than Prae. Livia is one of the worse bosses in the game. She’s basically the same boss as the slime from Copperbell.

- You have to wait for Cid. Super annoying.

- The cutscenes are an awkward shortness. During Gaius’s Prae speech and the cutscenes surrounding the Ultima weapon, I can afk, go grab a snack, grab some water, do whatever. Meanwhile the cutscenes in CM are all 10-30 seconds long. Not long enough to do anything but long enough to be annoying.

Basically, the only advantage CM has is “it’s shorter.” It is inferior every other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FeatherFloat posted:

They could probably never incentivize content past a certain point of Pay Attention And Do A Mechanic nearly enough to keep people from dropping their item level or just ditching. It's probably best if they figure out some sort of item level scaling or rework the leaving penalties. People are always going to be selfish and as much as I want to lecture people that you're queuing for this stuff to help new people get their clears, that's not going to actually fix anything.
It's an MMO, people will never not optimize the "fun" out of things or act in ways that are selfish.

XIV has been largely smart enough to basically engineer the game in a way that makes bad behavior hard, but obviously it's going to be hard to cover all bases at all times.

I am highly biased against Dun Scaith cause I think Diabolos Hollow is just A Bad Fight. Like, mostly presentation wise. Why do you not go out on the cool beam duel? Why is there a more boring second phase with bland rear end "spooky evil" music. Also gently caress clowns. Not out of any fear of clowns, but I just hate "I'm just so WACKY and POWERFUL" trope of magic evil clowns. Kefka gets a pass though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Interesting, Diabolos Hollow is probably my favorite alliance fight in the game. It was a blast when it was current and I love it when I actually get Dun Scaith in ADR.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like it except that it's probably got the two fights where it's the most possible for a single person to gently caress the entire alliance (Scathatch and Diabolos Hollow).

also I am still too dumb to figure out wormholes, but I can either follow the group or eat poo poo, it's cool

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Interesting, Diabolos Hollow is probably my favorite alliance fight in the game. It was a blast when it was current and I love it when I actually get Dun Scaith in ADR.

Mechanically it's sound, "look away from the guy with the marker" is a fun mechanic, though I don't love the "giant balls chase this player" mechanic cause it's really easy for someone to mess up and kill a bunch of other people with it.

Revenge Twofold is also one of my favorite boss tracks, so to transition from that to the generic voidsent music is pretty lame IMO. Thematically, maybe it's more appropriate not to finish them off with their own magic, but I just think it just creates such a weird anti-climax, and I have memories of being burnt out upon reaching that fight by a lot of wipes from earlier bosses so getting a "wait, there's more!" was just like "ugh, gently caress off."

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's how I feel about Mhach, why would you not end that raid with Ozma?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The other thing is I see so many CM-leavers who are DPS and it's like you're gonna subject yourself to DPS queue again in the name of, uh, time-to-benefit efficiency? You do you buddy. At least tanks and healers doing MSQR get in the moment they register.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’d rather do any raid other than the CT ones just so they’re less brain dead and so I can actually do real rotations. So many jobs are incomplete at 50 but mostly formed at 60.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there any reason why Sycrus Tower seems to be the most common out of the CT raids?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any reason why Sycrus Tower seems to be the most common out of the CT raids?

It is by far the fastest and easiest. Even outside of manipulating your ilvl to get it, the first set of alliance raids will always be the most common by nature.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

The other thing is I see so many CM-leavers who are DPS and it's like you're gonna subject yourself to DPS queue again in the name of, uh, time-to-benefit efficiency? You do you buddy. At least tanks and healers doing MSQR get in the moment they register.

I got into a dumb pissing contest in CM the other day that ended with me saying "we [tanks] could just leave, you know" and the DPS I was arguing with saying "so can we" and I just decided to drop the subject because it was well over the stupid line instead of pointing this out.

It was much healthier to just put a YouTube video on my second screen and mindlessly grind out the raid rather than slap fight about pacing. I don't even personally find CM that galling. Because of power creep the raids are basically brainless, so I can pay attention to some other passive media while doing the thing.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Probably because it doesn’t have Phlegethon nor Cerberus.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
All I'm hearing is that a bunch of people should just stop running MSQDR

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

One of the steps for the Shadowbringer's relic weapon is to gather tokens that drop from CT raids, CLL, or at a very low rate from CE's in bozja. CLL is potentially the fastest way, but if you don't have good luck with CLL groups then grinding it out in CT is the best option and of the CT raids Syrcus is the best choice for grinding because it's fast and easy.
edit:

FeatherFloat posted:

They could probably never incentivize content past a certain point of Pay Attention And Do A Mechanic nearly enough to keep people from dropping their item level or just ditching. It's probably best if they figure out some sort of item level scaling or rework the leaving penalties. People are always going to be selfish and as much as I want to lecture people that you're queuing for this stuff to help new people get their clears, that's not going to actually fix anything.
a. Every job has a maximum ilvl ever. When you queue for roulettes, you queue based on whatever that is and whatever you're wearing syncs to that. No more stripping to dodge.
b. Roulette bonus only applies to the first instance you zone into. If you leave CM then no MSQR bonus for you today.

tada!

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 25, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gobbeldygook posted:

One of the steps for the Shadowbringer's relic weapon is to gather tokens that drop from CT raids, CLL, or at a very low rate from CE's in bozja. CLL is potentially the fastest way, but if you don't have good luck with CLL groups then grinding it out in CT is the best option and of the CT raids Syrcus is the best choice for grinding because it's fast and easy.

Okay that makes sense.

mikemil828 posted:

Probably because it doesn’t have Phlegethon nor Cerberus.

Phlegethon isn't that bad compared to how easily people can gently caress up Bone Dragon, Atmos, or King Behemoth.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

That's how I feel about Mhach, why would you not end that raid with Ozma?

Same here—it feels more impactful than the other bosses is way cooler than the final boss.

I was in a LotA the other day with someone who openly admitted to dropping their iLvl so they’d only get CT raids. I wish the people who do that would admit it more often, so I can block them and have the tiniest bit higher chance of seeing the other content. I guess my philosophy is that when I join a roulette, I may get something I don’t want, but that’s the point. I especially like helping new people and also getting extra XP for it! If I only want to see a certain set of content, I can manually queue for it.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I still think ADR is something they could just stand to incentivize better so people don't feel like their time is wasted by Dumb Scaith and the other later raids. That and just make cheesing impossible by making it scale your ilvl up so long as you qualify otherwise.

I really wish they'd just do a balance pass of ARR/HW dungeons so that stuff isn't a total joke anymore

It doesn't have to be like, actually hard or anything, but you can literally clear Garuda in a minute and I don't think anyone's done the actual mechanics on Glasya since Heavensward

Gobbeldygook posted:

a. Every job has a maximum ilvl ever. When you queue for roulettes, you queue based on whatever that is and whatever you're wearing syncs to that. No more stripping to dodge.

This would suck if you did something like accidentally delete some of your gear (yeah, self-inflicted issue, but still should probably be accounted for), but it should absolutely count the best gear in your inventory rather than what you're wearing right now

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

I am highly biased against Dun Scaith cause I think Diabolos Hollow is just A Bad Fight. Like, mostly presentation wise.

Yeah, absolute garbage fight and a giant let down after a good raid series.

The music sucks, the first 2 minutes of the fight is just breaking a shield and seeing 0 damage, and it's just a couple mechanics being repeated over and over.

Ryanbomber posted:

I really wish they'd just do a balance pass of ARR/HW dungeons so that stuff isn't a total joke anymore

Yeah, double same. The level 50/60 stuff should be easy to balance with just reasonable level syncs. It all doesn't have to be 130. I don't know if the levelling content needs too much attention, because honestly some of it's been a joke since 2.x, but there's a difference between trivial and easy, and I don't like it when it's on the trivial side.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 25, 2022

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I got into a dumb pissing contest in CM the other day that ended with me saying "we [tanks] could just leave, you know" and the DPS I was arguing with saying "so can we" and I just decided to drop the subject because it was well over the stupid line instead of pointing this out.

*Queues as DPS*
*Ten to fifteen minutes later, or more, gets Castrum*
"UGH Castrum!"
*Quits*
*Queues for another fifteen minutes*
*Gets Castrum again*
*Goto 1*
"Efficiency demands this of me..."

Ryanbomber posted:

If later dungeons are tougher I'm eagerly awaiting them here at the end of Stormblood because my favorite part of the game is 4 man content with my friends and most of it I've seen is disappointingly easy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SuperKlaus posted:

If later dungeons are tougher I'm eagerly awaiting them here at the end of Stormblood because my favorite part of the game is 4 man content with my friends and most of it I've seen is disappointingly easy.

No dungeons are hard, but the latest expansion's, and a bit less the one previous, are still more in their release state and are much, much better in this regard.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bruceski posted:

It's not big compared to actually skilled players, but I got a 45-parse in P1S on my bard tonight. Highest I've done, feeling pretty proud of that particularly because it felt sloppy. Part of that's going to be just where the boss happens to die in a 2-min cycle, but I've also been working on my GCD uptime and brought that up from low 80s to 90%. When things get distracting I have a habit of forgetting which of my buttons are oGCD and which aren't, with a couple in particular (Pitch Perfect) getting their hooks in for some reason.

It's a shame my raid group is a bunch of 40 year-olds who can manage about three hours a week for raiding in between life, not all at once. I don't think we're ever going to get past P2S in a single week. But we have fun.

Congrats! Beating personal bests is my favorite part of raiding :)

If it helps, you could always throw up a pf for unlocking p3s/p4s for you ahead of time. All you need is to pass leader to someone who can get into p3s/p4s already and have them bring you into the instance. The moment you enter the instance you'll count as having cleared up to that point (including the downsides of not being able to open chests from "cleared" content that week etc).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ultimately after ther first week or two, the difficulty in non-savage content comes from optimizing for speed (either personal stuff like your rotation/when to use cooldowns and LB, or funny strats with your friends) rather than any implicit mechanical difficulty or risk of wiping. This is just something you have to accept and either embrace by getting into said optimizer mindset or exclusively do Savage content.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Someone admitted in fc chat last night that they were loving up and failing on the last sage quest trial because they'd removed half their gear to downilvl for CT raids. And to that I say, you get what you deserve. :colbert:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ryanbomber posted:

This would suck if you did something like accidentally delete some of your gear (yeah, self-inflicted issue, but still should probably be accounted for), but it should absolutely count the best gear in your inventory rather than what you're wearing right now
To be clear, it would sync whatever you were wearing to be level appropriate. If you are wearing ilvl 1 vendor gear and get The Aery, ok, it syncs your ilvl1 vendor gear to ilevel 110.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

if you're willing to wait to get them to appear and get into them, dont forget about the duels in bozja/zadnor. cheese strats available.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The thing random old content thing I sort of want to see but is probably not worth the trouble is for Binding Coils to be brought more in line with other raid series in terms of presentation and balance. Maybe leave existing coils as "Savage" with 2nd coil Savage being a weird Savage+, and then introduce new retuned or redesigned "normal" fights that can be added to NRR.

Gobbeldygook posted:

b. Roulette bonus only applies to the first instance you zone into. If you leave CM then no MSQR bonus for you today.
Downside is if you end up in an instance where you have good reason to bail; other people bail anyways, leaving you waiting for refills for annoying amounts of time. Having forgiveness attached to vote abandon would be abusable.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also, Syrcus Tower has Amon's hat. That's an important reason to run that.

How do people gently caress up Bone Dragon?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Moose posted:

Also, Syrcus Tower has Amon's hat. That's an important reason to run that.

How do people gently caress up Bone Dragon?

If you don't kill the skeletons they start doing a ton of raid wide damage.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No one kills the skeletons ime whether or not we do bone zone so the healers better be ready!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

drat the healers will have to press medica once during a time you can’t target the boss, extremely demanding stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

If you don't kill the skeletons they start doing a ton of raid wide damage.

I've never seen people die to that since ARR

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Is this what goes on in the mind of people who pull bone dragon north

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RME posted:

That is exactly what it is yes

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Dumb Scaith

:hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

While it is lovely for people to drop CM and they shouldn’t do it, I can understand the logic somewhat.

- CM is half the time but also half the XP. So if you’re doing the once-a-day roulette for xp, you want to maximize your rewards.

- CM’s bosses are all more annoying than Prae. Livia is one of the worse bosses in the game. She’s basically the same boss as the slime from Copperbell.

- The cutscenes are an awkward shortness. During Gaius’s Prae speech and the cutscenes surrounding the Ultima weapon, I can afk, go grab a snack, grab some water, do whatever. Meanwhile the cutscenes in CM are all 10-30 seconds long. Not long enough to do anything but long enough to be annoying.

Basically, the only advantage CM has is “it’s shorter.” It is inferior every other way.

If you put this much thought into a roulette you're a lost soul and I hope God's grace can find you in that darkness one day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RME posted:

It’s a holdover to 2013, but it wasn’t really even necessary when the content was new. By the time the max ilevel was 110, it was completely unnecessary to even bother with skellies if healers were on the ball. I had more than one goon party be the only surviving party back in the day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

I saw it like a month ago and then sometime after that it was a full on wipe. Granted it hasn't happened to me since then, but I have put myself on add duty since then cause like hell am I going to be part of another bone dragon wipe.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mordiceius posted:

Running MSQ roulette for the XP was your first mistake

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

If you let literally all the skeletons scamper into the bone dragon and there isn't a single AoE heal thrown out you'll wipe, but any attempt to damage skeletons or just pressing Medica once will keep your party alive

I've seen it happen like, once in the past 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm going to take Bone Dragon to the south the next time I get LotA as a tank.