Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

You beat off to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

not a fan of dubs generally, but they're nice to have for ppl who have trouble with text. still, you should absolutely be in prison if you use the dub on any yakuza game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Subs are for anime and dubs are for videogame.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Dongicus posted:

not a fan of dubs generally, but they're nice to have for ppl who have trouble with text. still, you should absolutely be in prison if you use the dub on any yakuza game

yeah. I do have a soft spot for Mark Hamill playing the Joker playing Majima on the original Y1 though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Too bad they couldn’t get him back because all the context he had recording back then was being Thug #3 or some poo poo.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i love that RWBY is now officially anime. all those arguments of years past, wasted
time is a beautiful, mysterious thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest mark hamill ps2 game dub thing is still him dubbing a guy in grandia xtreme, and it being, insanely obvious that he's the literal only professional va in the entire cast

how did they even get him, to voice a guy in grandia xtreme. yakuza 1's dub got a handful of high profile vas and sega had some amount of money for it. grandia xtreme is grandia xtreme.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 25, 2022

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
actually thought the y7 dub was really impressive when i saw [redacted] playing it so i went w/ that, perfect delivery for the main dudes being complete fools. but if i played kiryu/majima games itd go the other way i think.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there, are aspects of yakuza 1's dub that could've given a whole series dub in the same vein a sort of charm. mark hamill majima was legitimately good at matching his energy. and bill farmer doing his sam voice from sam & max hit the road as detective date is one of the most insane choices i've ever seen. it's just that the direction wasn't very good and not a lot of the rest of the casting stood out, kiryu's va was... fine, but i'm not sure how good he would've been for when the games started going more comedic in 2 onwards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

the funniest mark hamill ps2 game dub thing is still him dubbing a guy in grandia xtreme, and it being, insanely obvious that he's the literal only professional va in the entire cast

how did they even get him, to voice a guy in grandia xtreme. yakuza 1's dub got a handful of high profile vas and sega had some amount of money for it. grandia xtreme is grandia xtreme.

When you're a VA, you gotta get all the work you can, and this was before Disney was there to CG his head onto another guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the yakuza 7 dub is fuckin awesome

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Capcom seems to produce their games in English first, and it works out really well. And then there are examples when they make something in Japanese first and dub it later, you can really tell (Monster Hunter Rise)

I think that speaks to a sorta inherent bogusness with dubs. It's not any problem with English, it's the process itself. Although of course there is a spectrum of dub quality, even if the productions do have hard-to-shake problems.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

The Colonel posted:

Mark Hamill is the Michael Caine of voice actors.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Subs for video games because it works perfectly in cheap JRPGs or Visual Novels. There's no real action to follow and of course the text stays on screen until you press a button.

Japanese voices are perfectly nice in my otome games.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dubs and subs are interchangeable because I'm a sick bastard and everybody hates me

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
subs for comedy dubs for not comedy

marumaru
May 20, 2013

subs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

counterpoint: dubs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ubs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
dubs for baccano and cowboy bebop and if they're on

subs for if they're on

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

subs are for eating

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

they also should rightfully be called hoagies nationwide

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i call them grinders :twisted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

mods?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

:staredog:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

Dongicus posted:

You beat off to this?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah. definitely mugi.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

homeless snail posted:

yeah. definitely mugi.

The snail lives!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Julias posted:

The snail lives!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Welcome back snail.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arist posted:

counterpoint: dubs

drat

marumaru
May 20, 2013

who ended up becoming the Anime Mod? did anyone?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

marumaru posted:

who ended up becoming the Anime Mod? did anyone?

it's you

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Playing hot mod potato.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the admins are working their asses off, for about a month now, to do this incredibly simple task that has a conclusion they may not actually like so theyre working very hard (hard enough to work their figurative asses off).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Starting mid March by the way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

beautiful album, we live in blessed times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSPUsEezzoM

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

it's you

i'm shielded against it by not being a platinum member
the feeble admin fears the cheapskate user :radcat:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the admins are working their asses off, for about a month now, to do this incredibly simple task that has a conclusion they may not actually like so theyre working very hard (hard enough to work their figurative asses off).
why are you so obsessed with the asses of the admins???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

who the heck is hector