Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, as Gunlancer that stagger check was usually something I handled on my own. :v:
Too bad we can't handle the flame elemental guy stagger check on our own. At least we can make a hefty contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
RIP chat?
or is this just Ardinne perhaps
e: back

funkmeister fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 24, 2022

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, as Gunlancer that stagger check was usually something I handled on my own. :v:

We wiped to this guy like three times before I swapped to 1 as a scrapper, then I almost wiped the party by overestimating the ability of the swords to acquire a target. Luckily just as the "PHANTOM SWORD x2" popped up over my head I staggered the boss and was able to forever hide my shame.

Rohendel's capstone dungeon ruled between the environment shifts and the flame elemental pinch hitting for you.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

explosivo posted:

Christ, the new event is tough. My team of randos didn't all know some basics about the fights (break nacrasena's tail.. please...) but after 20 minutes only had 2 bosses downed and the third at ~5% when time ran out. At no point were we in trouble and felt like we were just wailing on the bosses for the whole time. I need to go back in with my friends because I think you really need to focus down one boss at a time. Feels even more like Monster Hunter now though with the multiple bosses showing up at once lol.

Can you explain what needs to happen cause I just did and we did finish it but it felt we just pumped damage to brute force through all of it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You start fighting one of the guardians and Nacrasena will warp to you. Stagger Nacrasena, destroy his tail, and pick up the orbs that give massive damage/stagger/crit buffs. Wipe out the guardian with those buffs, then track down the other guardian and repeat it. After that one is dead, look for Nacrasena and kill him.

If you have good stagger on your abilities and the destruction bombs you can solo the event in ~5 minutes.

Also, you can do this and get rewards on multiple characters per day despite what the patch notes said about 1 per roster.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I think just knowing the mechanics/staggering will get you through. My group didn't destroy the tail once because nobody had a clue so that def explains it if there's a buff hiding in there.

Edit: Game good.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2022

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
game good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat the gold/silver drain trying to push from 1340 to even 1355 is insane. The extra materials from this event are very nice and much needed but what they didn't give us is gold and there's a gold/silver bottleneck once you're rapid firing 15% failures over and over again in late T3. I have tons to do that isn't honing and can still make gold by selling unbound mats so it's not a huge concern, but it's jarring to see all my coins disappear so quickly. OTOH my friend has tens of thousands of gold so I guess if you've been smartly playing the market this might not be an issue for you.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lol wait until 1370+, the silver drain is way way worse.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol wait until 1370+, the silver drain is way way worse.

Oh yeah I can tell it only gets exponentially worse moving forward

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

explosivo posted:

drat the gold/silver drain trying to push from 1340 to even 1355 is insane. The extra materials from this event are very nice and much needed but what they didn't give us is gold and there's a gold/silver bottleneck once you're rapid firing 15% failures over and over again in late T3. I have tons to do that isn't honing and can still make gold by selling unbound mats so it's not a huge concern, but it's jarring to see all my coins disappear so quickly. OTOH my friend has tens of thousands of gold so I guess if you've been smartly playing the market this might not be an issue for you.

I'm at 1355 and I haven't really run into any gold issues. Instead I've gotten so much gold I've been flipping them into crystals instead. Silver sitting at a healthy 7.5 million too. Then again I've been playing it really slowly. The only gold I ever spent was on a couple ability stones when I reached T3 just for the bonus vitality. I did sell a bit of materials early on when it was still high but I stopped ever since the price crashed. Selling random drops I got that I wasn't going to use for quite a bit too. Just been doing 2 chaos and 2 guardians and then upgrading when I have enough saved up. I'm in no rush to reach end game.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

wow, they really did bury us in honing materials didn’t they? finally made it to 1100 thanks to this event (and a couple of those chaos dungeon energy globes since my last piece refused to upgrade)

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I have completed tooki island. This must be what divinity feels like

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I have completed tooki island. This must be what divinity feels like

do you mean the soul and the daily x 30?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I exhausted all of my free mats for the week. I went from 1348 to 1354. Maybe the most unlucky honing in the entire game this week???

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

if you get mad easily at statistics not going your way on a timescale this short this may not be the game for you

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

afkmacro posted:

do you mean the soul and the daily x 30?

yeah, I am free of this cursed island

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

if you get mad easily at statistics not going your way on a timescale this short this may not be the game for you

I dunno man, people were talking about getting to 1370 yesterday from pretty early into tier 3 lol.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

if you just want to exchange anecdotes i got from 1335 to 1341 by spending every piece given to me by the event and buying out the entire grand prix store

general mmo advice applies - don't listen to liars on the internet, and don't act like your luck is that different - you're not that special

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

I dunno man, people were talking about getting to 1370 yesterday from pretty early into tier 3 lol.

Sounds like the 1340-1370 stretch is pretty brutal. I’m not quite there yet but not looking forward to it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kaysette posted:

Sounds like the 1340-1370 stretch is pretty brutal. I’m not quite there yet but not looking forward to it.

Having just hit 600 this morning, yeah I'm not looking forward to any part of the treadmill to come.

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

I'm in the 1340-1370 slog, but oddly enough, I ran out of gold before I ran out of the additional materials we got. Haven't done any trading on the market because I don't understand markets, but just suddenly ran out of gold honing.
Are there any decents ways to earn gold just gaming, or do I have to whale it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Catullus posted:

I'm in the 1340-1370 slog, but oddly enough, I ran out of gold before I ran out of the additional materials we got. Haven't done any trading on the market because I don't understand markets, but just suddenly ran out of gold honing.
Are there any decents ways to earn gold just gaming, or do I have to whale it?

I'm in the same boat and it's basically flipping unbound t3 honing mats on the market at this point. I'm also completely out of silver now too since each hone attempt is like 30k silver :sigh:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Take a day or two to selling your unbound mats on the market. Also don’t forget to do the chaos portal, get a map, and do it with 3 goons/other folks bringing maps.

You should be able to bet a few thousand gold a day.

For silver I’ve only found Lopang T3 to be really worthwhile (T2 if you’re desperate).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Having just hit 600 this morning, yeah I'm not looking forward to any part of the treadmill to come.
It's not so bad. You do the same stuff you're doing now with the added bonus of boss rush giving lots of mats & cube giving even better honing increase mats & guardians being funner and faster. The event also showers you in honing increase mats now.

If you enjoy playing the game, you pretty much just play the game and then hone once per week unless you're one piece away from a breakpoint or something. I get the impression a lot of people are trying to hone as soon as they get enough mats for one attempt & that's likely mega tilting. Treating honing as the game when the game is all the other stuff is probably maddening although somewhat understandable when you're 1097 or 1367.

I said come in! posted:

With honing books it still takes like 500+ leapstones to go from 1355->1370. From 1340->1350 you should use the lower 2 tiers of solars, not from the market but from event/maybe maris, and it will save a ton of time. In general, if you're using a honing book I'd use the lower two tiers of solars. I haven't calculated with the last tier because I hit 1370 before honing books and the event showering in solars.

On weapon you should always use the lower 2 tiers of solars. On armor they stop being worth using after 1350, but if you have a ton from the event, cube, weekly stuff, or maris might as well throw them in to save time. Solars are hugely helpful for pushing with greater honor leapstones later so kinda plan with that in mind, but honestly they're a bit underrated for people using bound mats.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 25, 2022

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I've mostly been chilling, making my way slowly through the game. Only just recently made it to T2 and a far ways away from T3. It's nice, but I have to admit, if I did have a reason to rush to T3, my big one would be to put everything on a more even playing field. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the frequency where I get pumped up for a new abyssal dungeon or guardian raid or whatever, only for someone in T3 to come and blow up the boss effortlessly for 95% damage in 3 seconds flat because they are looking for cards. I don't care about the rewards and I certainly don't want a carry: I want a fun journey and a fun fight and unfortunately, being in a lower tier always brings the risk that my fight will be ruined from some higher tier tourist coming down from up high.

Then again, I should probably be careful what I wish for: there have been a few times where I've been in a party where everyone is appropriately leveled but are totally unable to meet DPS or stagger checks and we just had to abandon. Still, even then, I prefer that struggle over a win just handed to me!

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

You could always just make your own party and not accept anyone in T3

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Does it feel like people are overlooking Ether Predator or am I missing something big? From a cursory reddit search it seems like the reason is people prize Grudge / Cursed Doll for their multiplicative boosts, but Ether Predator seems like such a good all-rounder engraving, especially given that you can upkeep max stacks on pretty much any fight longer than a few minutes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Ether Predator is a decent all around engraving, but it takes like 5 minutes to stack up fully and you lose all the stacks if you die. I've seen it pop up pretty regularly in budget engraving lists.

In other news, gold-crystal conversion rates are about to drop below 300 in NA West.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hyper Inferno posted:

Ether Predator is a decent all around engraving, but it takes like 5 minutes to stack up fully and you lose all the stacks if you die. I've seen it pop up pretty regularly in budget engraving lists.

In other news, gold-crystal conversion rates are about to drop below 300 in NA West.
just dropped below 400 on na east, and is still dropping. almost regret not selling my tradeable lawmaker skin at 11k, but skins will at least keep up as time goes on.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hyper Inferno posted:

I thought i got lucky two days ago at 380... wonder why it's dropping so low?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

cams posted:

just dropped below 400 on na east, and is still dropping. almost regret not selling my tradeable lawmaker skin at 11k, but skins will at least keep up as time goes on.

yeah, i am glad i jumped to sell mine when i saw prices at 14k. but then i turned around and put that into crystals when they started to jump.

ah well!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mjolnerd posted:

I thought i got lucky two days ago at 380... wonder why it's dropping so low?
a) bans of bots and RMT people, just removing gold from the economy
b) a lot of gold rewards were frontloaded, and once those dried up individual players found themselves more gold starved.
c) the average player base progressing through the game enough to the point where the economy can start to settle

gold is going to deflate a bit, there may be a bounce, then it'll start to settle. over time, especially once we start getting more content that provides gold, it'll start to go up again. i do think we are at the point where it's a bad idea to sell long term investments like skins, mounts, or various materials that are valuable in the endgame such as fish.

edit: short term things like honing materials you can dump, but prices are only going to keep falling on those.

770 down to 240 in 5 days lol

cams fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 25, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just remember people in chat trying to convince me that 1k gold for 100 crystals a few weeks after the launch is actually absolutely normal, because the ratio in Korea is like 1.5k gold for 100 crystals and we are starting with T3 and so NA/EU is basically the same, and laugh.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gold and items fluctuate in value, crystals don’t. If you’re looking to not engage with ~the market~ you may as well just buy some crystals with your gold

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Khorne posted:

pvp vendor: oh no I'm only grade 6 from doing my weekly and need to be grade 1 to buy anything

Same. Didn't bother powering through the newbie tiers and now I've got a long way to go.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Selling unbound materials at this point is pretty bad imo. Prices are in the absolute gutter

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Zotix posted:

Selling unbound materials at this point is pretty bad imo. Prices are in the absolute gutter
they're only going to get worse, though. i bet greater honor leapstones are under 100g next week. if you really want to make some gold it's probably one of the last chances to get it from honing materials.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's still a source of gold, and while the price of materials is down so is the price of everything so the ratio really isn't that bad. Sure it was better to sell before but people still need a way to make gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cinara posted:

It's still a source of gold, and while the price of materials is down so is the price of everything so the ratio really isn't that bad. Sure it was better to sell before but people still need a way to make gold.

That's not making gold, that's delaying making gold. Alts that can do T3 content is what makes gold. By selling your resources at some of the lowest prices we've seen, you're just delaying getting into content that allows you to make actual gold.