Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

TorakFade posted:

I really hate that cool interactions like abduct, fabricate hook, befriend etc are gated behind lifestyle perks. It means that, since I'm not a big fan of locking myself into intrigue, I never use fabricate hooks or abduct. Also means that most of the time I won't have friends unless I "dip" for 1 point in diplo, even if I don't want to do that

it sucks. Make those free for all (without those perks the only schemes you can do are seductions, romance, sway and murder... which is kinda OK, but it's pretty boring) but make the perks give you better chances of success, or even more options I dunno

It feels tremendously wasteful to lock yourself in a lifestyle for 5 year just to get the chance to use some interactions that IMO should be available to everyone, and just on that single character too...

If you land your kids early they should have quite a few perks by the time they inherit - for the last few generations I've mostly molded my style to whatever they came up with, and it can be fun. But I definitely try to dip into intrigue for at least a few perks, since dread in particular can be insanely useful (if you're not a goody two shoes and can reach the Forever Infamous perk, you basically never have to worry about factions for the rest of your life). Still, sometimes they pick really useless ones, like the Seduction tree.

What are some of the less-common interactions and actions locked behind traits and perks? I recently became a Poet (through a random event while learning a language) and it seems like a cute mechanic - you can send poems to other characters, either friendly ones or diss tracks, but the functioning's kinda odd - you apparently need to send them to people with higher diplomacy than you, so they can properly appraise the poem? Even if you're telling them they suck donkey balls? It's weird.

e: while I'm talking dread, I still haven't figured out exactly when dread comes up when executing / torturing / etc prisoners. I can't tell if it's only dreadful if your victim isn't a random courtier, or if it's linked to how many family members will be outraged by it, or if it's linked to the strength or dread of the victim, or what.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SexyBlindfold posted:

e: while I'm talking dread, I still haven't figured out exactly when dread comes up when executing / torturing / etc prisoners. I can't tell if it's only dreadful if your victim isn't a random courtier, or if it's linked to how many family members will be outraged by it, or if it's linked to the strength or dread of the victim, or what.

After the DLC, it seems only prisoners with titles, count or above, give dread when tortured/executed. And more dread higher their primary title is

edit: and what I do now is to torture whatever lord I get my hands on before ransoming them (or ending the war, if I captured the enemy leader). And if I dont need the money, them Ill torture and than execute

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 24, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think pumping out kids is good for the first generation or two, as pawning them off to 'wrong' marriages can get you a lot of reknown early, which can be hard for a new dynast starting out as a count.

Also if you're doing only a mild bit of Eugenics, not even full blown pervert inbreeding, but just like "I'm doing a warfare dynast and I'd like to have a lot of 40+ prowess knights please" it's good to have a bunch of free dynasts lying about.

The third, most mild, reason is if you're being really picky about your heir for some reason, either goodie two shoes or the total opposite, sometimes you need a few tries to get what you're looking for.

If you're just happy to play with not actually minmaxing the dynasty part of the game, and would rather roleplay as whatever chump gets landed, then yea 2 sons is plenty.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I am so confused by this succession. No matter how many titles I give my second son he keeps all the titles I want my heir to get. It's a little frustrating that landing your heir is the objectively wrong move.

At this point he has more territory then my heir, but still gets almost everything when I die

https://imgur.com/a/OyQIM1I

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Does your player heir have any titles otherwise? It's certainly the combo of primary title being elective and rest being partition, but I can't see the explicit chain of logic myself.

Oh wait, is he getting a another kingdom from partition? Then yea, all non-kingdom-havers gobble up all the duchies.

edit: consider adding an elective title to that second kingdom, creating it if you have to. then it's just a duchy handout for all.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Serephina posted:

Does your player heir have any titles otherwise? It's certainly the combo of primary title being elective and rest being partition, but I can't see the explicit chain of logic myself.

Oh wait, is he getting a another kingdom from partition? Then yea, all non-kingdom-havers gobble up all the duchies.

edit: consider adding an elective title to that second kingdom, creating it if you have to. then it's just a duchy handout for all.

You are a life saver. Thank you!

I was able to sneak it in a few months after the "you have a year to live" notification. So right down to the wire.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I am so confused by this succession. No matter how many titles I give my second son he keeps all the titles I want my heir to get. It's a little frustrating that landing your heir is the objectively wrong move.

At this point he has more territory then my heir, but still gets almost everything when I die

This is mostly because Mann is a kingdom of one county. Under confederate partition, your heir will always get your primary title and capital and some other primary de jure land that you hold and your other kids get your secondary titles. If your primary title is a large kingdom then your heir can end up getting a bunch of stuff, but Mann is only one county without any other de jure territory. So according to the game, your heir is getting your main title and 100% of the de jure duchy and kingdom, it's just that it ends up only being a single county.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m about to be in a similar situation I think. I’m currently a king with confederate partition, don’t think I have tech to up that to straight partition.

I accidentally had like 4 sons so it looks like a new kingdom title will be created for my second son. Does this mean he will go independent on succession? The other two just get duchies and counties so should be under me I think.

Also the second son is better than my current heir, is disinherit the best option for my current heir? My current king will die in a year or two and my heir is only like 14 so can’t send him to battle alone.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Red_Fred posted:

I’m about to be in a similar situation I think. I’m currently a king with confederate partition, don’t think I have tech to up that to straight partition.

I accidentally had like 4 sons so it looks like a new kingdom title will be created for my second son. Does this mean he will go independent on succession? The other two just get duchies and counties so should be under me I think.

Also the second son is better than my current heir, is disinherit the best option for my current heir? My current king will die in a year or two and my heir is only like 14 so can’t send him to battle alone.

A King cannot be a vassal for another King so the kid that gets the new kingdom title will be independent. You can disinherit if you wish or you can let the smart lil bro be independent and farm renown if his Kingdom will be strong enough to stand on its own.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, if the new king kid has a tiny nothing domain consider it a win, early game reknown can be hard to come by. If the 'wrong' kingdom is bigger consider swapping to be your primary title so the right kid gets it + your capital, and if they're both kinda big you might be to play around with titles or disinheritances. Titles will cost 3k prestige to sort it all out (which is fine as you can't pass that stuff on), disinhertence can be cheaper but... that stuff is precious, I hate spending it.

You can also just let poo poo fracture wildly if your gold + MAA is looking solid, and demand stuff back by the sword later as your heir will have claims.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That new kingdom title hasn’t been created yet but will be the game tells me. I guess I can check how powerful it will be now.

Would messing with the feudal elective titles work in this case? That could mean I claw back another duchy at least.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Red_Fred posted:

That new kingdom title hasn’t been created yet but will be the game tells me. I guess I can check how powerful it will be now.

Would messing with the feudal elective titles work in this case? That could mean I claw back another duchy at least.

If you have a confederate partition, and it is possible to create a 2nd kingdom within your realm, the game will create the 2nd kingdom, find some kind of land for the secondary heir and assign it to them. Ie you hold the Kingdom of England and Wales but the titular Kingdom of Wales has not been formally created. The game will assign the Kingdom of England and the capital to the primary heir and the secondary heir will gain the Kingdom of Wales. I do not recall how it carves out the land for the secondary heir, you might get weird border gore. There is no way around this to my knowledge. Though if you do use elective succession on the duchies to exploit around this, the game will randomly assign the secondary heir a piece of land that is not even owned by you and he becomes a 1 county King which usually gets deposed super fast.

I do not believe regular partition will do this though (create new titles of equal rank when it is possible for secondary heirs) which is why Tribal sucks for a multigenerational empire.

edit: High partition is a pretty decent succession law imo. The oldest kid gets the lion's share which makes satisfying lil bro fairly easy. Even in a big empire, just feeding him some random duchy or two probably does the trick. You get that nice +5 vassal opinion too. I honestly don't know how you guys stand Absolute Crown + nominate a successor. -30 Vassal opinion makes it really hard to stop factions from forming. Also farming renown early is very valuable imo. Some lvl 1 Legacies are pretty good I think. Noble veins lets you kick start your eugenics program and Desirable match helps with getting genius ladies for your kids. Mostly Fair gives you a nice discount on Hunts and Feasts which you obviously will be spending a lot of the game doing.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 25, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What's a good start for a scheming vassal game? I don't know if I'm going to pull off this north sea empire run, I'm getting tired of endless hell wars in land with no loving supply.

So I think a game where I'm just a small fish focused on diplomacy and stabbing is a good next run.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why can't I nominate my Grandson in a feudal elective? He is of my dynasty, he has no claims other than the implicit ones for being my grandson (so nothing theocratic etc, even if his deceased parents had a few), he is a legitimized bastard. His mom's dead and his father is, err, me. He's underage and lives in another court, but is visiting me to be tutored. He basically fits all of of the Candidate positions, not only one.

The only thing I can think of is that being a legitimized bastard disqualifies him, because honestly I have no idea what other parts of Feudal elective he could be running afoul of.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Somehow my vassals have a tiny bit of Armenia (I'm the HRE) and now all my loving marriage list is packed with people in India
So I can't use any of the shuffles because "most powerful alliance" (and relevant, for some reason) has nobody near me. It's so frustrating!

I really, really, really wish there was a button I could click on my vassals that would just try and arrange a marriage with them that'll give me an alliance. Going through them all to find one that'll work loving sucks poo poo

Also had a weird thing where the king of bavaria generated an extremely dark skinned indian buddhist with a very long title as his partner. There's now way he's close enough to interact with indian rulers - is there an event that gives someone like this? It is cool that all her descendents are black though, like it makes it so much clearer that "this noble is descended from a person 200 years ago"

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 25, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I fought off some factions, took back my other two kingdoms from my brothers with ease. However went into a little debt and got a holy war declared against me which I had to surrender on.

Now I’m an intelligent 5 year old girl with just a handful of counties and a kingdom title.

This game really loves a dog pile against the player at times.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Red_Fred posted:

Well I fought off some factions, took back my other two kingdoms from my brothers with ease. However went into a little debt and got a holy war declared against me which I had to surrender on.

If you were any kind of organised religion, people should be showing up over time to help you out. Did you immediately surrender?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Demon_Corsair posted:

You also have to consider the titles your player Heir already holds, since they're landed. As someone else explained what's going on is it sees your primary heir is receiving a Kingdom title in the partition, so it tries to give your secondary another Kingdom, can't, and so tries to give him lots of counties to balance it out.

Red_Fred posted:

This game really loves a dog pile against the player at times.
Funnily enough there's actually an anti-griefing rule of sorts, the AI won't declare war on anyone already in three wars.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

You also have to consider the titles your player Heir already holds, since they're landed. As someone else explained what's going on is it sees your primary heir is receiving a Kingdom title in the partition, so it tries to give your secondary another Kingdom, can't, and so tries to give him lots of counties to balance it out.

Funnily enough there's actually an anti-griefing rule of sorts, the AI won't declare war on anyone already in three wars.

In this case it was the crown of Scotland messing things up. Soon as I made it elective everything lined up.

This has been a stressful reign. No one likes my poo poo kid and I'm trying to keep 4 elective monarchies. After killing a poo poo load of people and being a kin slayer, I finally gave up and accepted my brother as heir.

Which is probably going to cause a new nightmare soon as he is in his 50s.

Maybe should kill him and see if that lets my kid get the thrones.

E: on second thought gently caress this run. Was aiming to do empire of the high seas, but loving giant hell wars in Scandinavia is too loving painful. Microing my 15k troops in < 2k stacks to not get annihilated by supply is just the loving worst.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 25, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

THE BAR posted:

If you were any kind of organised religion, people should be showing up over time to help you out. Did you immediately surrender?

In hindsight I probably should have waited it out a bit. I’m Norse in North Africa so it would have taken a while.

Oh well, I’m first in line to re-inherit a bunch of stuff so will just fast forward till this girl is an adult and see what happens.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

Somehow my vassals have a tiny bit of Armenia (I'm the HRE) and now all my loving marriage list is packed with people in India

Taear posted:

Also had a weird thing where the king of bavaria generated an extremely dark skinned indian buddhist with a very long title as his partner. There's now way he's close enough to interact with indian rulers - is there an event that gives someone like this? It is cool that all her descendents are black though, like it makes it so much clearer that "this noble is descended from a person 200 years ago"

These are related. Because your realm has access to India, everyone within your realm does too.

Red_Fred posted:

However went into a little debt and got a holy war declared against me which I had to surrender on.

If it's easier, you can also just choose 'adopt faith' on your attacker's diplomacy menu, which will convert you and stop the holy war. It might be better to convert instead of surrendering, depending upon how big each religion is, and how much land you have.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Red_Fred posted:

In hindsight I probably should have waited it out a bit. I’m Norse in North Africa so it would have taken a while.

Oh well, I’m first in line to re-inherit a bunch of stuff so will just fast forward till this girl is an adult and see what happens.

Ah, yeah, nobody's gonna come and help if they don't neighbour you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: on second thought gently caress this run. Was aiming to do empire of the high seas, but loving giant hell wars in Scandinavia is too loving painful. Microing my 15k troops in < 2k stacks to not get annihilated by supply is just the loving worst.
I think you just found out why everyone loves to abuse elite MAA stacks. 2k Vagarian veterans with good knights eat things five times their size, apparently. I found Scandinavia to be really fractured and accessible honestly, as long as you don't go deep diving into Finland for no good reason.

---------

More talk on elective/partition fuckery: I had my only kingdom title that I set to elective, set my primary heir to be some very distant unlanded grandkid who's a genius, and checked the succession to find out that he gets nothing, and will become an unlanded ruler. Err, whoops?
I think the logic behind it was that the elective removed the kingdom from the normal partition handout, so it had to start with duchies and kept going until every kid got something. I have a lot more kids than titles, so what happened is that it ran out of stuff before my grandson, who was born to a young daughter, got literally anything. Not even the capital, which as mentioned is up for grabs if your primary isn't in the partition. Handing the grandkid elective duchies didn't help either! He'd get the duchy but no counties as again I think the partition logic removed the duchy from its memory and just handed out the counties from under it. Normally when a kid get something in partition they'll get a string of stuff underneath it; which probably explains why this hasn't popped up before, as I'm usually only making sure something like the 3rd born is primary and he'll be getting something anyways.

The solution was already mentioned above by MikeC, let the sole kingdom primary go to partition and then elective all the duchies you care about (and have counties in, so you have all the votes) to that kid. It's less control than other options (so you have to deal with disinheriting until you get someone you like) but it trivially holds all your demense together. Wish I'd thought of that.

--------

Royal court stuff: I've always felt like there was a slightly higher bump in power/ease when reaching king, moreso than count->duke or king->emperor, but maybe that's just my bias. After royal court however, the power jump is immense and obvious. Suddenly being able to drop a few gold per month into massive +prestige and +reknown trickles, in addition to the smorgasboard of tiny buffs you get from artifacts and better court positions really does add up. It's probably less noticeable when playing tribal snowball sprees, but for a standard slow growth feudal it was pretty crazy how fast things sped up.

It feels bad? in a DLC handout sort of way, kinda like Norse stuff. I think.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

VV stacks with upgrades barracks and all the knight buffs you can get just murder everything. I had a crusade formed against me when I had formed the Danelaw and just stack after stack of 20k lowest quality level kept turning up to be slaughtered giving me cash, piety and prestige.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Feels like a dumb question but what’s everyone’s rule of thumb when saving for a war? Now that I’ve lost 2/3rd of my counties money is pretty hard to come by and I don’t want my debt spiral to happen again. :ohdear:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My general rule of thumb is 'focus your priorities on gold generation so you don't actually lose money while they're raised'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I'm always just dropping 100-200g into buildings when I can spare it. Going into debt for emergency mercs is fine as long as the income is positive and you'll climb out of it. Buying mercs also falls under the "gotta spend money to make money" motto

I also did the math a while ago, and a raised levy costs roughly as much gold in terms of bang for buck as a raised MAA does. There's a bunch of other considerations obviously like levies being free to acquire to replenish, but running into combat width and supplies, but then are also better for raiding and keeping factions down, etc etc. My point is that keeping excessive amounts up isn't cheaper than keeping MAA up, but there's also no rush to buy non-siege MAA if you're still able to win fights in the early game.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I also struggled with war costs at first, so I made sure to only pick fights I could win quickly (small realms with no allies and low castle defenses). I also tried to keep my rally points as close to the frontline as possible to avoid even the couple of extra months of marching before the fighting starts, and I'd also reorganize my fully raised army and disband a few levy units to skim the fat (you can even micromanage your MaA and disband the unit types that won't work with the target terrain or enemy forces). If the war's really lopsided, I just stick to local levies+MaA. If the war's gonna be pretty big, I try to make sure I have at least a couple of extra financial lifelines in case the war drags on - either having the Ask Head Of Faith For Gold option available, a few hooks on moneyed people (with the corresponding stewardship perk), some valuable prisoners, etc.

If you're in a position where most of your wars are gonna be against religious enemies, do consider founding a holy order. It's a significant investment upfront, but they're basically a free mercenary army after that, and you can take loans from them, too! Gonna be a while before you're able to do it, though, since you basically need enough money to build a new holding.

While on the topic of religious enemies - the other day one of my vassals came crying to me and made me promise I'd wage war on the enemies of the faith, so I said I'd do it within a year. So, no biggie, I declare a holy war on one of my scattered neighboring rulers of a different religion (I'm in the horn of Africa, so no shortage of them), I even put my nagging vassal at the head of the army and take over the only enemy county in a couple of months. Problem solved. But a year passes and the vassal gets pissy because I didn't keep my promise??? but I just did??? you were there??? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME????? I tried googling it, but I can't find any explanation - what's the trigger to consider that promise fulfilled? Do I have to be at war by the time the deadline hits, or what?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I always make sure to stay good and pious so I never lose access to the Pope's Bitcoin mining operation and just use that to upgrade income buildings in all my territory. Men-at-arms are the only worthwhile part of the army, my vassals can waste their time upgrading the amount of levies they supply.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I finally did it. My Haesteinn descendant became the Chakravarti - combining 3 empires into one title - as well as founding a Witch Coven. Only took breaking two alliances to do (after losing a lot of territory upon succession), which funnily enough means nothing because the decision gives you two levels of Fame.

My character was in Poor health and a Devotion level too low, so I wasn't going to bother - until I realised that the Ganges decision gives you one. So I declared two parallel wars to take the last duchies I needed, immediately pausing to relocate my capital from Madurai to Delhi and doing two major decisions in a row.

I'm actually not sure what to do with this game now, as it's plainly obvious how easy it will be to paint the map, with By The Sword about to be added to my culture traditions (also the most advanced in the game), and my 30-50 prowess uber-knights leading thousands of Norse MaA.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

Royal court stuff: I've always felt like there was a slightly higher bump in power/ease when reaching king, moreso than count->duke or king->emperor, but maybe that's just my bias. After royal court however, the power jump is immense and obvious. Suddenly being able to drop a few gold per month into massive +prestige and +reknown trickles, in addition to the smorgasboard of tiny buffs you get from artifacts and better court positions really does add up. It's probably less noticeable when playing tribal snowball sprees, but for a standard slow growth feudal it was pretty crazy how fast things sped up.

It feels bad? in a DLC handout sort of way, kinda like Norse stuff. I think.

The court is very expensive, thought.

And after a while is not like you *can* throw money at it: you have too, because the penalties of being too low on court grandeur starts to be massive when you are more than 3 levels bellow the expected

So Im finding a lot harder to keep cash after becoming a big empire. Right now for example my expected level is already 10, but I simply cant afford keeping the baseline at 10. I can afford keeping it around level 8 and that leaves me with an income of 0.5g

Good thing Im norse so I worked my way up to that legacy which gives money from battles and also picked the culture tradition to allow me to raid as feudal and thats whats keeping me afloat most of the time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Expectation scales with Realm size; you can own all of a normal size kingdom (eg all of de jure Italy) and only have a expectation of level 3, which you can get trivially, or sometimes even passively without spending a penny if things line up. (It sounds more like you have standard Norse feudalization woes; no tech for good income buildings, poo poo vassals, etc)

But aside from that, it's more that randomly building half price buildings forging 100g artifacts that can spit out prestige, opinion, or even renown, is a drat good deal which kings get the most out of (twice as many slots plus better artifacts).

But whatever, I'm probably just worrying about nothing, CK3 is probably built around being king-level anyways and I guess I should consider anything before that to just be kinda like a prologue before the real game begins?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

Expectation scales with Realm size; you can own all of a normal size kingdom (eg all of de jure Italy) and only have a expectation of level 3, which you can get trivially, or sometimes even passively without spending a penny if things line up. (It sounds more like you have standard Norse feudalization woes; no tech for good income buildings, poo poo vassals, etc)

I actually been feudal for like 3 generations already. But I had to become an empire, and the empire got big

I do have have a half decent income (I got both the duchies of Latium and Valois on my domain, and both converted and with a number of good income buildings) and many rich vassals. But to keep court grandeur at level 8 (not even 9 or 10), Im spending like 27g per month on that alone

edit: so yeah, when you are small is all advantages; or when you are huge and very rich (very late game), and can afford keeping everything at the max. But when you are in between (getting big but still without a very big income), the court will eat all your income

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 26, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SexyBlindfold posted:

While on the topic of religious enemies - the other day one of my vassals came crying to me and made me promise I'd wage war on the enemies of the faith, so I said I'd do it within a year. So, no biggie, I declare a holy war on one of my scattered neighboring rulers of a different religion (I'm in the horn of Africa, so no shortage of them), I even put my nagging vassal at the head of the army and take over the only enemy county in a couple of months. Problem solved. But a year passes and the vassal gets pissy because I didn't keep my promise??? but I just did??? you were there??? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME????? I tried googling it, but I can't find any explanation - what's the trigger to consider that promise fulfilled? Do I have to be at war by the time the deadline hits, or what?

Looking at the event code, the script check for that event is "are you at war when the deadline hits" (the follow up event fires in six months and checks, at that time, if you're at war with a religious enemy), so if you've declared and won the war beforehand it won't count. Unfortunate dev oversight!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I do have have a half decent income (I got both the duchies of Latium and Valois on my domain, and both converted and with a number of good income buildings) and many rich vassals. But to keep court grandeur at level 8 (not even 9 or 10), Im spending like 27g per month on that alone

If your realm is that big, your vassal taxes should more or less pay for that on their own? I'm curious what your cashflow looks like...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

If your realm is that big, your vassal taxes should more or less pay for that on their own? I'm curious what your cashflow looks like...

I have the whole empire of Britannia and the whole empire of Francia plus almost half of Iberia and some parts of Italy and Germania

I'm my personal domain I have Isle of Mann (where I started), kingdom of Mann, the duchy is Valois and the duchy of Latium

My expected court level is 10

I do also have 5x size 10 varangian veteran stacks plus 2 catapults size 8, that's eating a lot of my income too

edit: but yeah, my income does pays for the court, but very little is left after that, so I'm stuck with 0-5 income most of the time

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 26, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah but what are your vassals paying in taxes? Do they all have their contributions tuned way down or something?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah but what are your vassals paying in taxes? Do they all have their contributions tuned way down or something?

This is me right now:

This is my empire:

And this is my meager income:

I guess is worth noting that the only empire I actually hold right now is Alba, I didint create Francia yet (because Im still on partition), that does decreases my vassal income

As for their contributions, most of them have high taxes actually (I have the custom of always changing my vassal contracts putting them on high taxes and giving them war declaration rights as compensation)

edit: and almost all my vassals have 80-100 opinion of me too

edit 2: thinking about it, my low vassal income is probably also related to the fact many of them are king level (and that I dont hold the empires for them)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 26, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Best thing you can do is have a look at your balance, identify your top sources of income and expenses, and find modifiers for each of them.

- If you're earning most of your cash from your demesne, having Tax Offices in all your available duchy buildings can help (if you have "loose" counties intruding in someone else's duchy, it can be worth it to just build the tax offices for them to get that multiplier), and eyeing up any juicy counties in your realm that you could grab from a conveniently rebellious vassal could also come in handy.

- Be mindful of mines and special buildings! This map charts them out - I don't think there's any mines available in your territory, but there's a few counties with special buildings (either pre-packaged ones or the ones that you have to build yourself) within your borders, and they can be major moneymakers if you get one into your demesne. If you're hitting your domain limit, identify your least profitable county and let it go once you get an opportunity to nab the special county from your unfortunate vassals.

- Do you have empty holdings in any of your held counties? Mayors of well-developed cities can often rake in more cash as direct vassals than dukes or even kings. Some of the city buildings have effects that apply to the rest of the county, too, so they're handy to build even if you only get a fraction of their main gold output. You can also build another barony and focus only on money buildings (either gold production or army upkeep), but that'll take a spot from your domain limit.

- Have a look at the perk tree and see if there's any income multipliers available - they obviously won't last forever, but something like the intrigue perk that increases tax rates from intimidating and terrifying your vassals can be a major boost.

- If most of your expenses come from your army upkeep, make sure you have the appropriate buildings to reduce maintenance in all your castles, and upgrade them when possible. Also check for any traditions and innovations that could reduce those expenses, there's usually one or two available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Those are good tips but Im already doing most of that.

I guess my biggest mistake here was creating a bunch of big king level vassals (which I did because the guy before my current empress had to face a lot factions after succession and I solved that creating friendly kings and giving the rebeling vassals to them)

But in any case, my point was that while the court system does gives a lot of bonuses and stuff, Im not sure it makes the game so easier because it also introduces a huge expense, making the money management part of the game a bit harder

By that stage Im my games pre-royal court I would be already swimming in money and not having to care about my income at all, but now I find myself having to manage it better and find other sources of income too

edit: and thats not a complain, is a good thing