Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

After reading this article once more, is anyone surprised and could explain the tone? It almost seems as-if China is completely indifferent to the war itself and honestly doesn't care about the human suffering or trajectory of the Ukrainian people.

And I am off the understanding that China did not want this war to happen and doesn't want to pick sides either. China's Xi and Russia's Putin might have shared interests but I think it's a big stretch to call the friends or even allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s not a stretch at all to think that China doesn’t give a drat in the slightest.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

After reading this article once more, is anyone surprised and could explain the tone? It almost seems as-if China is completely indifferent to the war itself and honestly doesn't care about the human suffering or trajectory of the Ukrainian people.

China has seen significant success from actively avoiding meddling in foreign affairs (beyond Taiwan and China related matters), so it's not really a surprise that they're not interested in taking a side. There's also the popular sentiment that it's better for the US to be preoccupied with multiple opposing powers than Just China (especially after the years of saber rattling against them):
https://twitter.com/LiuXininBeijing/status/1505043155682402306?s=20&t=vlmRtMpFtuGhKoFXMvWZkQ

Additionally, China has its own reasons to have a dim view of NATO (or at least, reasons it can use to cast shade):
https://twitter.com/HollyBlomberg/status/1504475156080517120?s=20&t=vlmRtMpFtuGhKoFXMvWZkQ

And third, the sanctions have put a strain on the Dollar as a reliable constant among major powers' economies; India and Russia are cozying up further with China, Saudi Arabia is flirting with allowing China to pay for oil in Yuan, and no doubt many unaligned nations are considering their western assets. It's likely better for them to foster these relationships & paint the actions against Russia as the US playing world police at the expense of multiple economies (which, if successful, provides the question "when will the US and its related systems blow up your economy?").

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Neurolimal posted:

China has seen significant success from actively avoiding meddling in foreign affairs (beyond Taiwan and China related matters), so it's not really a surprise that they're not interested in taking a side. There's also the popular sentiment that it's better for the US to be preoccupied with multiple opposing powers than Just China (especially after the years of saber rattling against them):
https://twitter.com/LiuXininBeijing/status/1505043155682402306?s=20&t=vlmRtMpFtuGhKoFXMvWZkQ

Additionally, China has its own reasons to have a dim view of NATO (or at least, reasons it can use to cast shade):
https://twitter.com/HollyBlomberg/status/1504475156080517120?s=20&t=vlmRtMpFtuGhKoFXMvWZkQ

And third, the sanctions have put a strain on the Dollar as a reliable constant among major powers' economies; India and Russia are cozying up further with China, Saudi Arabia is flirting with allowing China to pay for oil in Yuan, and no doubt many unaligned nations are considering their western assets. It's likely better for them to foster these relationships & paint the actions against Russia as the US playing world police at the expense of multiple economies (which, if successful, provides the question "when will the US and its related systems blow up your economy?").

True, it's probably more intelligent, though, IMO, it shows a distinct lack of commitment to a true anti-imperialist line, which is sad. The PRC has at times historically assisted powers against imperialism but i guess being their own imperialist power is more important.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panzeh posted:

True, it's probably more intelligent, though, IMO, it shows a distinct lack of commitment to a true anti-imperialist line, which is sad. The PRC has at times historically assisted powers against imperialism but i guess being their own imperialist power is more important.

I mean they learned the hard way either you be an empire or you be hosed sideways by empires.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They’ve never not been an imperial power.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You say lots of anti-imperial things while you're fighting imperial invaders at home, but once they're gone it's time to start justifying your foreign adventures.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Frustration with Covid response grows in China as daily cases near 5,000
As the Omicron variant takes hold, some say the country’s hardline approach is causing more deaths than the virus itself

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/25/frustration-with-chinas-covid-response-grows-as-daily-cases-near-5000

quote:

China reported almost 5,000 Covid-19 cases on Friday, as authorities continued to battle an outbreak of the highly transmissible Omicron variant across multiple provinces and as evidence of frustration among the population grew.

After the death of a nurse in Shanghai who was denied hospitalisation after suffering an asthma attack, many are angry that China’s Covid responses appear to be causing more deaths than the virus itself.

On Friday, health authorities reported 4,988 cases, with rising numbers of asymptomatic infections, which China records separately. There is growing concern in Shanghai, where health officials in the city of about 25 million people reported 1,609 cases on Friday. Just over 1,500 cases were asymptomatic, marking a sharp increase from the previous day’s 979.

Shanghai’s authorities have resisted going into city-wide lockdown, a harsh measure still being used in other provinces, and are instead closing individual buildings and communities for testing. But some residents have claimed they’ve been locked down for far longer than warned, and others reported issues in securing fresh food and other deliveries.

“2+2+2+2+2, the lockdown days has been infinitely increased by two,” complained one resident. “Policies change every day, prices rise every day. I have to get up at 5 o’clock every day to grab food. It is still unknown whether it can be delivered. This is how our government treats its citizens?”

On Wednesday a nurse in Shanghai died after she was denied entry to hospitals after suffering an asthma attack, echoing the cases of people who died during a lockdown in Xi’an last year after they were denied medical care because of overly strict Covid policies.

Wu Jinglei, director of the Shanghai municipal health commission, offered condolences to the nurse’s family and urged hospitals to better streamline their screening and sterilisation processes, which were keeping hospital areas closed for too long.

China has reported two Covid-19 deaths from this Omicron outbreak, and some online discussion has centred around “secondary” deaths caused by harsh anti-epidemic measures.

“I am not afraid of the coronavirus, I am afraid that I can’t get treatment for other diseases,” said one person on Weibo.

“I really don’t know why people who should be treated cannot get treated? How many lives will it take to change our one-size-fits-all policy?” said another.

Across China authorities have imposed various measures as they seek to implement orders from the country’s leader, Xi Jinping, to ensure “the maximum prevention and control at the least cost, and minimise the impact of the epidemic on economic and social development”. Last week Wang Hesheng, vice-head of the National Health Commission, said China’s increasingly refined tactics had reduced inconvenience.

But frustration is building. Last week social media posts went viral of crowds in Shenyang banging against shop windows and shouting in frustration at the announcement of another round of testing.

And while entire provinces like Jilin have been locked down, the resistance to do so in cities like Shanghai and Shenzhen have prompted accusations they are “dragging down” the response effort.

“Other cities took a month to control the epidemic, Shanghai grows epidemic in one month,” said one online commenter.

On Wednesday “Why can’t China lift safety measure just like foreign countries?” was a top trending topic on Weibo, according to What’s On Weibo.

Viewed more than 5.4m times, the hashtag drew debate over views recently put forward by epidemiologist Liang Wannian, who supports Xi’s zero-Covid strategy, against comments by a Beijing hospital director, Jiang Rongmeng, that Omicron was “more like a cold”.

It seems like China may be arriving at the point where dropping 'zero covid' makes more sense than trying to maintain it with no end in sight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's the deal with the vaccination programme? Are they still in the rollout phase or are they in the 'everyone has had the opportunity to have one, the issue is uptake' phase?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Alchenar posted:

What's the deal with the vaccination programme? Are they still in the rollout phase or are they in the 'everyone has had the opportunity to have one, the issue is uptake' phase?

The vaccination rates I've seen are pretty high, but they primarily used the Sinovac vaccine and there's a major difference in effectiveness between that and the mRNA vaccines we use in the US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

The vaccination rates I've seen are pretty high, but they primarily used the Sinovac vaccine and there's a major difference in effectiveness between that and the mRNA vaccines we use in the US.

Double and triple shot there is virtually no difference. also that CNN article is garbage, the average Chinese person is not chomping at the bits to open up and getting a million plus citizens killed like the US.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
That doesn't quite match what I've been reading, but I'm more than open to seeing sources outside what I usually get exposed to.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-20/hk-s-immunized-who-died-of-covid-mainly-got-sinovac-ming-pao

EDIT: I think this is what you are talking about there being a good boost from a third Sinovac booster shot, but the percentages of elderly people who have gotten 2 shots, let alone 3 are all too low.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/health/sinovac-coronavirus-booster-hong-kong.html

quote:

More than 87 percent of China’s population has been vaccinated. But just over half of people 80 and older have had two shots, and less than 20 percent of people in that age group have received a booster, Zeng Yixin, a vice minister of the National Health Commission, said recently.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 25, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

That doesn't quite match what I've been reading, but I'm more than open to seeing sources outside what I usually get exposed to.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-20/hk-s-immunized-who-died-of-covid-mainly-got-sinovac-ming-pao

EDIT: I think this is what you are talking about there being a good boost from a third Sinovac booster shot, but the percentages of elderly people who have gotten 2 shots, let alone 3 are all too low.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/23/health/sinovac-coronavirus-booster-hong-kong.html

Vac rate has nothing to do with how effective a vaccine is though. Single shot of Pfizer has proven to be less effective against omicron variants as well.

https://twitter.com/dov_levin/status/1506265848524132352?s=20&t=uV6cb0f5o1se9KvVcHAhhA

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Double and triple shot there is virtually no difference. also that CNN article is garbage, the average Chinese person is not chomping at the bits to open up and getting a million plus citizens killed like the US.

Eh, I dunno, I'm hearing a lot of discontent about this latest lockdown.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

GlassEye-Boy posted:

While this is probably true, there are a lot of caveats: mainland China has a similar if slightly better elderly vaccination problem to HK, the doses that were given were mostly a very long time ago, and a number of people have been given weirdo vaccines like Shenzhen Kangtai. I also think that while all vaccines are basically the same at preventing severe disease, Sinovac is demonstrably worse at preventing infection, and when you have a a lot of elderly not fully vaccinated, that's where you get the high death rates, so you want to prevent infection as well as severe disease.

Also in my WeChat moments nobody is saying "good another lockdown" or "great another mandatory test" there's a hell of a lot more grumbling than there ever has been, admittedly because China has done so well over the past two years.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I appreciate y'all's perspectives speaking with actual people in China.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
They still whining about that embassy thing? It was an accident and they murdered the guy who did it in a parking lot near my school

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Vac rate has nothing to do with how effective a vaccine is though. Single shot of Pfizer has proven to be less effective against omicron variants as well.

https://twitter.com/dov_levin/status/1506265848524132352?s=20&t=uV6cb0f5o1se9KvVcHAhhA

Is there a link to the study, or is a largely-ignored Tweet of a screenshot of a webcast all we have?

I don't know how we could accurately gauge Covid sentiments in mainland, but I echo what Rabelais D said that the level of grumble in my social circles is as high as it's been since early 2020. That's not really surprising, though, since most live in the cities that are experiencing lockdowns.

HK government continues to flail. The latest big solution is to send out Covid survival kits with some KN95s, rapid tests, and "proprietary traditional Chinese medicine." :ughh:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Smeef posted:

Is there a link to the study, or is a largely-ignored Tweet of a screenshot of a webcast all we have?
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.03.22.22272769v2

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Smeef posted:

HK government continues to flail. The latest big solution is to send out Covid survival kits with some KN95s, rapid tests, and "proprietary traditional Chinese medicine." :ughh:

I personally cannot wait to swallow a dozen bitter spherical pills twice a day to help me ward off covid

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Eric Cantonese posted:

How does it happen that so few of China's elderly are triple vaxxed/boosted because with how otherwise seriously China seems to have taken covid, those numbers should be much, much higher?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 26, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

How are u posted:

Frustration with Covid response grows in China as daily cases near 5,000
As the Omicron variant takes hold, some say the country’s hardline approach is causing more deaths than the virus itself

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/25/frustration-with-chinas-covid-response-grows-as-daily-cases-near-5000

It seems like China may be arriving at the point where dropping 'zero covid' makes more sense than trying to maintain it with no end in sight.

the only cited bits of this article are three comments from random citizens, a trending topic in weibo based on comments from a single hospital director, and literally one person dying.

the degree to which this article uses backs the narrative it is promoting with evidence is lacking to the point of farce

e: oh and a commentor complaining that shanghai isnt doing the covid zero thing hard enough

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 26, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

How does it happen that so few of China's elderly are triple vaxxed/boosted because with how otherwise seriously China seems to have taken covid, those numbers should be much, much higher?

It seems to be apparently a specifically Hong Kong thing and those old fucks have a special kind of boomer brain that doesn't trust anything from the mainland.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems to be apparently a specifically Hong Kong thing and those old fucks have a special kind of boomer brain that doesn't trust anything from the mainland.

nah that number is apparently for China as a whole, which is why I'm asking what's going on. HK had a surprising amount with no shots, mainland has a surprising amount with only 1 or 2 shots somehow?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Flip it around: why are vaccination rates so high elsewhere? Because there's essentially no other defense to the virus. Boomers are boomers everywhere, and I think this kind of reluctance is pretty normal for people. In China specifically there was less fear of the virus because of NPIs

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It was also a huge policy level priority to vaccinate and boost older people in particular.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Despera posted:

They still whining about that embassy thing? It was an accident and they murdered the guy who did it in a parking lot near my school

Could you elaborate? I can’t tell if you’re joking.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

It was also a huge policy level priority to vaccinate and boost older people in particular.

it was a priority, but not as much of a priority as the national population % target, which China did manage to achieve

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

nah that number is apparently for China as a whole, which is why I'm asking what's going on. HK had a surprising amount with no shots, mainland has a surprising amount with only 1 or 2 shots somehow?

I haven't seen any rigorous analyses of it, but I've got a few guesses:

1. Old folks, like vulnerable populations of all sorts, are just plain harder to reach.
2. You add in a reliance on modern tech, and they easily get further excluded.
3. Remote, rural areas in China tend to skew towards extremes of age due to children and grandparents staying behind while parents migrate to the cities for work, and these areas get neglected relative to the urban areas.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As has already been pointed out, the mainland hasn't done a spectacular job vaccinating its elderly either.

Comparing generations in HK that were born in the 50s/60s to the same generation in the US (i.e., Boomers) is nonsense. Generations, at least in the past, weren't global and universal. The kind of self-entitlement and lifetime of easy living that defines Baby Boomers could not be further from the experience of most HKers born in that era. There were probably a million refugees at the end of the civil war and another million during the Great Famine. An estimated 20-30% of population growth in the 60s and 70s came was from mainland refugees. So while I don't agree with their vaccine skepticism, it is pretty easy to understand why they might be distrustful of the mainland.

And the vaccine skepticism in HK seems equally aimed at BioNTech, not just "anything from the mainland", a skepticism stoked by disinfo coming from mainland sources (Fort Dietrich! Western vaccines aren't made for Chinese genes!).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
remember, last year Chinese domestic media spent Jan-Mar scaring the dickens out of the elderly on the safety of the vaccine for 60yo+. Lots of lurid stories in Chinese media. To this day Pfizer-BioNTech is not approved for use.

the pivot to vaccinating seniors only occurred subsequently but then after the 2021 "two sessions" in March the refocused target was on the national population vaccination % announced by XJP in 2020 Dec anyway. In the meanwhile "covid zero" really did seem to be working. If there are no covid cases in your city, and the vaccine is rumoured to be dangerous, then why bother

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I appreciate the insight you all, thanks a bunch!

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Latest news in Shanghai is that they're doing a full lockdown of Pudong, and then Puxi, each for 5 days.

Shanghai has been going through a weird kind of semi-lockdown. At first it was mostly tracing contacts, testing, and quarantaine at home if you had a close contact. That didn't stop omicron. Then it moved to something they called grid screening. Whole communities or wider areas were locked down for a few days if deemed at risk, requiring tests until no more cases pop up. Then a city-wide test for all the low/no-risk areas as well. A few days ago, if you weren't registered with a negative test in your health app, your code would turn yellow until you went and got a negative test.

After all that, we're still getting higher numbers each day. I've been lucky so far, nothing much happening in Changning district. But it's an odd experience. For some reason cars aren't allowed to leave our community anymore, but people leaving is fine. The whole notion of social distancing seems utterly foreign, with long lines of people getting tested, and any entrance to a community or building becoming a check point which effectively turns it into a choke point.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
a prediction:

https://twitter.com/michaelxpettis/status/1508370937133301769

parent thread has clips:

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1508131083510071309

I still hold to my earlier prediction of a reversal before the end of this year. China likes zero covid, but it also takes comparative national pride super seriously. And:

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1507160587943432198

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Somebody find that lady visible at 0:03 and get her on Shop Til You Drop.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Welcome to March 2020.

My prepping photo is so old I don't bother to dig it up and post it here.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Shanghai begins locking down millions as China’s Covid cases surge
China will shut down its largest city in two stages as it sticks to a ‘zero-Covid’ strategy amid growing outbreaks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/28/shanghai-to-lock-down-millions-for-mass-testing-as-chinas-covid-cases-surge

quote:

Shanghai has begun its phased lockdown as an Omicron-fuelled Covid-19 wave spreads through mainland China’s most significant financial hub, resulting in the country seeing the highest caseloads since the early days of the pandemic.

The eastern side of the Huangpu River, which divides Shanghai, will be under lockdown between Monday and Friday, officials said, followed by a similar lockdown of its western side beginning on 1 April. Massing Covid testing across the city is also underway.

The metropolis of 25 million people has in recent days become the leading hotspot in a nationwide outbreak that began to gain pace in early March.

Barely 24 hours before the lockdown decision was announced on Sunday, the government ruled out such a move, citing the potential damage it could cause to the economy.

However, a record 3,450 asymptomatic cases were reported in Shanghai on Sunday, accounting for nearly 70% of the nationwide total, along with 50 symptomatic cases, the city government said on Monday.

China’s National Health Commission on Monday reported 5,134 new asymptomatic cases for the previous day, and 1,219 local confirmed infections.

Although the case numbers remain relatively insignificant in a global context, they are China’s highest since the first weeks of the pandemic, which was first reported in the city of Wuhan in late 2019.

Millions of residents in affected areas across the country have been subjected to citywide lockdowns. Now, in the eastern part of Shanghai, residents are confined to their homes, too. Some said healthcare workers arrived to conduct tests as early as 7 am on Monday.

The city government said in a public notice on Sunday that the two-part lockdown was being implemented “to curb the spread of the epidemic, ensure the safety and health of the people” and root out cases of infection “as soon as possible”.

The city’s sprawling eastern half, known as Pudong, which includes the main international airport and financial district, would be locked down for testing beginning Monday morning and ending 1 April.

After that, the city’s western half, known as Puxi and featuring the historic Bund riverfront, would be locked down until 5 April, the government added.

Residents were told to stay indoors during the lockdowns, and all business employees and government personnel not involved in the supply of essential services were advised to work from home. Those involved with providing vital services such as gas, electricity, transport, sanitation and the supply of food would be exempt from the stay-at-home order.

Shanghai’s public security bureau said it was closing cross-river bridges and tunnels, and highway tollbooths concentrated in the city’s eastern districts until 1 April. Areas to the west of the Huangpu River will have similar restrictions imposed.

A member of the city’s pandemic taskforce had over the weekend vowed Shanghai would not shut down. The official said that a lockdown in Shanghai, which is the country’s major financial and trading hub, would “impact the entire national economy and the global economy”.

“If Shanghai, this city of ours, came to a complete halt, there would be many international cargo ships floating in the East China Sea,” said Wu Fan, a medical expert on the taskforce, during a daily virus press briefing held by the city government.

“It seems clear that the authorities have been trying to rely on targeted measures to the maximum extent possible, but clearly they now feel they cannot afford to wait any longer in Shanghai,” said Thomas Hale of Oxford University’s Blavatnik School of Government, who leads the Oxford Covid-19 Government Response Tracker.

“Overall, we’re now seeing more [Chinese cities] using restrictive measures than any other time since 2020.”

China’s government had previously kept the virus under control nationally through strict zero-tolerance measures including mass lockdowns of entire cities and provinces for even small numbers of cases.

But in recent weeks, authorities have watched nervously as a deadly Hong Kong Omicron surge prompted panic buying and claimed a high toll of unvaccinated elderly people.

The variant’s subsequent spread in mainland China has posed a dilemma for authorities wrestling with how forcefully to respond, with the zero-tolerance approach increasingly being questioned amid concerns over the economic impact and public “pandemic fatigue”, especially considering Omicron’s less severe symptoms.

Shanghai had sought to ease disruption with a targeted approach to the current outbreak marked by rolling 48-hour lockdowns of individual neighbourhoods combined with large-scale testing, but otherwise keeping the city running.

But the softer strategy has so far failed to dampen city case counts, and the localised lockdowns have provoked grumbling online and a run on groceries in some districts.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
More conspiracy theories that the US bioengineered covid and also shot down the airliner, but also:

https://twitter.com/ThisIsWenhao/status/1509019993018703875

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Close ties allow Russian propaganda to spread swiftly through China, report claims
A cyber monitoring group says Chinese sources are amplifying disinformation about Ukrainian ‘nazism’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/close-ties-allow-russia-propaganda-to-spread-through-china

quote:

Close ties between Russian and Chinese state media along with strict government control of information have allowed Russian propaganda to spread swiftly throughout China, “nazifying” Ukraine in the eyes of some Chinese citizens and fostering pro-Russian sentiment, a new report has claimed.

Taiwan-based cyber monitoring group, Doublethink Labs, tracked state and social media from mid-February until late March. It said Chinese sources were amplifying Russian disinformation about Ukraine and linking Ukrainian nazism to the Hong Kong protests to encourage solidarity between Russian and Chinese people against “foreign forces interfering with internal affairs”.

Russian authorities had pushed a narrative of nazism in Ukraine as a key justification for its invasion of the country, as well as the threat posed by a Nato expansion – narratives that gained traction in China where anti-US sentiment runs high.

China has claimed a neutral stance on the war, but has refused to label Russia’s act as an “invasion”. Just weeks before the invasion, Xi Jinping and Vladimir Putin signed a “limitless” partnership. Analysts say the war has left China in a difficult position, between supporting its key ally Russia, and avoiding the punitive sanctions being imposed by other nations. Instead, it has cast events as a conflict created and driven by the US and Nato, and presented itself as a potential mediator.

The Doublethink Labs report pointed to content sharing agreements between the two countries’ state media, decisions by Chinese censors, influential social media accounts and government directives regarding coverage, as all contributed to driving public support for Russia’s attack, despite the Chinese government’s nominal stance of neutrality.

Prior to the invasion, there was little discussion of Russia’s claimed need to “denazify Ukraine” until hostilities broke out, the report said. But the speed with which disinformation spread revealed, “the ease with which Sino-Russian state media cooperation can sow disinformation by citing each other as sources and expanding on each other’s angles”.

“The tendency is clear: one side creates and the other expands, distorting information in a way that is beneficial to both countries.”

Disinformation was found across domestic Chinese media, Chinese-language Russian media, and Chinese language accounts in western social media platforms that targeted the broader Chinese diaspora and people in Taiwan.

In late February, as Russian troops were sent into Donetsk and Luhansk, Chinese media was issued a directive to only use official news released from People’s Daily, Xinhua news agency, and China Central Television – state-run mouthpieces which have had content-sharing agreements with Russian state media since as far back as 2015.

Two days later, Russia invaded Ukraine, and China’s media pushed out false stories including Russian claims of Ukrainian soldiers surrendering, and their president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, fleeing. Other articles promoted fake polls claiming low support among Ukrainians for joining Nato, according to research by the Brookings Institute.

Three days into the war, Weibo accounts and state-linked blogs resurfaced debunked reports from 2019 that had used a photo of a Ukrainian veteran at Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests as proof the US was funding members of the far-right Azov Battalion to attend the rallies and sow discord. In Taiwan, pro-Beijing social media also latched on to fake Russian news reports in early March of Ukrainian neo-Nazis shooting Chinese citizens and torturing Russian soldiers.

The spread was also influenced by the decisions of censors that blocked Ukraine related content, including posts by a Chinese citizen describing the invasion from inside Odesa, and senior voices urging China to cut ties with Russia. But blocks on the term “Nazi” appeared to have been lifted during the crisis, allowing stories that justified Putin’s actions to appear and be shared on Chinese platforms.

Charlie Smith, cofounder of Greatfire.org, a censorship monitoring site, said “Nazi” had long been identified as a keyword on most censorship lists for Chinese internet companies. “Usually once a word ends up on that list, it very rarely comes off,” he said. “Sometimes what is not being censored can be more telling than what is being censored.”

Chinese authorities have denied spreading disinformation, and foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said the accusation was itself an act of disinformation.

But it has also amplified conspiracy theories about claims of US-funded bioweapon labs in Ukraine, which last week expanded to involve claims about Hunter Biden, George Soros, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Covid-19.

David Bandurski, analyst and editor of the China Media Project, said China’s state media had been amplifying Russian sources “back to 2021”, framing Russia’s actions as primarily defensive by running Russian reports suggesting Nato was building a presence along the border.

“But pull back from the focus on events in Ukraine and you see that China has also played an active role in manufacturing disinformation to support the basic frames it has amplified about the conflict,” he said, citing as example the bioweapons labs claims.

“The point here is to undermine US credibility over the longer term, and to push for a remaking of the international system. In this endeavour, Russia has been China’s most intimate partner,”
said Bandurski.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

ronya posted:

More conspiracy theories that the US bioengineered covid and also shot down the airliner, but also:

https://twitter.com/ThisIsWenhao/status/1509019993018703875

What's this all about? I don't follow basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

How are u posted:

Close ties allow Russian propaganda to spread swiftly through China, report claims
A cyber monitoring group says Chinese sources are amplifying disinformation about Ukrainian ‘nazism’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/close-ties-allow-russia-propaganda-to-spread-through-china

Interesting. What do you think about the article?