Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Whelp, the whole family got COVID as I suggested they might. Despite being at my house the day before, he never tells me and I only heard about it from my mother.

Bolded why he didn't tell you he got COVID.

Salt Fish posted:

So what you're saying is he didn't recover.

They released the guy back into the world so someone is saying he recovered.

As for me, not being able to reliably form new memories or recall old memories suggests that the recovery was less than total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

COVID-19? Pandemic? Friend, haven't you heard the good news?

...Oh, what's with the corsi cube and respirator, you ask? That's just for wildfire season. Now if you'll excuse me I have some beans to guard.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bedpan posted:

A guy I am in contact with who works for one of the state agriculture agencies got covid in Jan and although he recovered, his memory is totally shot

Wait, you're telling me that COVID can cause memory problems? First I've heard of it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Coldrice posted:

In January i found out my precious work place, which seemed to have survived totally unscathed for a couple of years, has had rampant outbreaks over and over again. They just hid it, made staff quietly quarantine (or not at all) and didn’t tell their clients. Just villainous stuff.

My work place had been discretely posting daily notices in the breakroom announcing that someone else caught COVID. They stopped the same time the CDC guidelines changed though.

The notice let us know that if HR determined you had been in contact with the person with COVID, you would be informed. My suspicion is that HR was able to reliably make the determination that no one was ever in contact with someone who came to work with COVID.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Nocturtle posted:

Nice new thread OP!

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post. I've been summarizing PASC research studies for my own understanding and previously posted my notes in the old thread but thought worth posting here too in case it's of interest. Please let me know if you're aware of any large scale PASC study not included here, I'd be interested in learning more.

TLDR: long-term COVID impacts ie "long COVID" or "Post-Acute Sequelae of SARs-COV-2 infection" (PASC) affects ~10-30% of people with symptomatic infections. >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds. Vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no protection).

PASC overview
-PASC encompasses a range of conditions that might occur after a COVID infection
-conditions include cardiovascular, neurological and immune disorders
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169/full
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/02/19/science/long-covid-causes.html
-PASC rate post-infection highly uncertain, estimates vary between 10%-30% at ~6 months
-the impact of potentially relevant factors like vaccination also have large uncertainties
-several large scale studies and labor force analyses attempt to evaluate PASC rate, severity
-PASC isn’t COVID mortality, mortality is better understood and effectively reduced with vaccines

PASC rate estimates from major studies
-focus here on PASC rates for mild cases in <65 year olds where possible
-ideally account for vaccination impact, most large completed studies done pre-vaccine

Post-acute symptoms, new onset diagnoses and health problems 6 to 12 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide questionnaire study in the adult Danish population
-large scale study, 152880 participants, evaluated at 6-12 months, pre-vaccine availability
-long-term symptoms maximal for 30-60 year old
-”significant” post-infection symptoms:
-~40% risk of physical exhaustion, 35% risk of mental exhaustion
-~28% chance of memory and concentration issues
-~8% fatigue

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
-followed 312 home-isolated (non-hospitalized) Norwegian patients from the early pandemic
-52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16–30 years, had symptoms at 6 months
-impaired concentration (13%, 8/61)
-memory problems (11%, 7/61)
-fatigue (21%, 13/61)

Physical, psychological and cognitive profile of post-COVID condition in healthcare workers, Quebec, Canada
-~6000 COVID positive HCWs in Quebec between July 2020 and May 2021 pre-vaccines
-had controls, claims less bias than similar studies because participants recruited pre-COVID
~40% reported at least one post-infection symptom at 12 weeks
-10-20% described at least one “severe” post-infection symptom, did not decrease with time
-cognitive dysfunction ~15% at 25 weeks
-fatigue ~25% at 25 weeks

Incidence, co-occurrence, and evolution of long-COVID features: A 6-month retrospective cohort study of 273,618 survivors of COVID-19
-analyzed health records of 81 million US patients, idenitified 273000 COVID cases
-cases would have been for people that sought treatment, so worse than overall population
-fatigue/malaise (12.82%; 5.87%
-cognitive symptoms (7.88%; 3.95%),

Prevalence, determinants, and impact on general health and working capacity of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 six to 12 months after infection: a population-based retrospective cohort study from southern Germany
-persons aged 18-65 years with PCR confirmed infection between Oct 2020 and March 2021
-11,710 subjects, reported symptom rates before, during infection and at later time
-neurocognitive impairment (PD 31.3%)
-fatigue (PD 37.2%)

Persistence, prevalence, and polymorphism of sequelae after COVID-19 in young adults
-501 participants, median age of 21 years (range 19-29)
-compared 177 COVID cases after 6 months with controls, recent infection, asmptomatics
-found a significant trend towards metabolic disorders, higher Body Mass Index (BMI) (p=0.03), lower aerobic threshold (p=0.007), higher blood cholesterol (p<0.001) and low-density lipoprotein LDL levels
-there were no significant differences in psychosocial questionnaire scores

Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
-157000 VA patients, predominantly older white males
-also includes contemporary and historical control groups
-study period 2020-2021, pre-vaccine
-4.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome in entire cohort
-roughly 2.5% elevated risk of any cardiovascular outcome for mild cases

Risks and burdens of incident diabetes in long COVID: a cohort study
-181280 participants with COVID-19 between March 1, 2020, and Sept 30, 2021
-note average participant age of ~61 years old
-had contemporary and historical control
-people with COVID-19 had increased risk (HR 1.40, 95% CI 1.36–1.44) of diabetes
-excess burden (13.46, 95% CI 12.11–14.84, per 1000 people at 12 months) of diabetes ie roughly ~1% of cases
-Risks and burdens increased according to the severity of the acute phase of COVID-19

Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections
-10024 vaccinated individuals, 9479 matched against unvaccinated controls
-no uninfected control group
-evaluated pre-Omicron
-this study is focused on evaluating difference in long-term outcomes between vaccinated vs unvaccinated and not so much the absolute rates
-two doses of vaccine had no impact on “long-COVID” features, several other disorders

Presence of Symptoms 6 Weeks After COVID-19 Among Vaccinated and Unvaccinated U.S. Healthcare Personnel
-participants had COVID-19 with either verified mRNA vaccination or no vaccination
-among 681 eligible participants, 419 (61%) completed survey ~6 weeks after illness onset
-~71% reported one or more COVID-like symptoms 6 weeks after illness onset
-lower prevalence of long-term symptoms among vaccinated participants
-fatigue ~30%
-cognitive symptoms: 25%

Indirect PASC impacts from labor statistics

Is ‘long Covid’ worsening the labor shortage?
-assumes ~100 million workers infected by Oct 2021
-roughly estimates ~1.1 million people out of work due to long COVID at any given time

COVID-19 Likely Resulted in 1.2 Million More Disabled People by the End of 2021
-additional 1.2 million people in the US civilian institutional population with a registered disability in 2021 compared to 2020
-total labor force without disability is down ~2 million since the start of the pandemic
-large increase in workers with disability likely due to PASC, ~1% of infected workers

Summary
-PASC research suggests >10% chance of “significant” long-term impact from COVID infection, esp fatigue and cognitive symptoms (estimates vary around 10-20%)
-additional risk of cardiovascular disease after mild infection is ~2.5%
-vaccines did not protect against all PASC conditions (estimates vary between 50% reduction to no protection)
-vaccine protection has likely not improved with Omicron dominant given relatively worse protection against symptomatic infection
-labor statistics suggest >1% of infected workers either disabled or too sick to continue working at least temporarily
-current overall picture is >1%-10% of COVID infections result in “significant” long term impacts, with large uncertainties in actual rates but these are likely lower bounds

You've done it again :golfclap:

U-DO Burger posted:

this last month has been such a shitshow. just off the top of my head

1. Impact Research releases a memo saying the dems can win the midterms by declaring victory over covid (https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/uploads/IMPACT-COVID-positioning-strategy-memo.pdf)

2. CDC gets the memo and rewrites the community transmission guidelines so that high transmission is actually low transmission now. Masks are now only recommended when cases have already reached critical mass. All states drop mask mandates almost immediately.

3. Ezekial Emmanuel, a man who once wrote on op-ed about why it's good for society when old people die earlier, releases a roadmap for living with covid. (https://www.covidroadmap.org/) The roadmap claims that we are approaching endemicity, and we will have achieved it when we reach fewer than 60,000 deaths per year from covid, RSV, and flu combined. (we are already over 20,000 dead from COVID this month) The roadmap calls for a ton of vaccine research and for free covid treatment.

4. biden announces a test to treat program where people can get free covid testing, and free covid treatment if they test positive

5. congress drops all federal funding for covid, completely killing the goals outlined in the roadmap, and the test to treat program, while making our already useless CDC community transmission map even worse

This sounds about right.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It's allergy/wildfire season I say to the man delivering my screws and beans crates

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

NeonPunk posted:

It is a pretty loving bad sign if the virus is starting to really explore ORF3a space for further evolution.

Open! reading frame 3a

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Crazypoops posted:

It's allergy/wildfire season I say to the man delivering my screws and beans crates

Wait what's this about screws? Am I supposed to be hoarding those too??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bedpan posted:

My work place had been discretely posting daily notices in the breakroom announcing that someone else caught COVID. They stopped the same time the CDC guidelines changed though.

The notice let us know that if HR determined you had been in contact with the person with COVID, you would be informed. My suspicion is that HR was able to reliably make the determination that no one was ever in contact with someone who came to work with COVID.

If it's like my HR, the guidelines for being in contact are: Spent a total of 15 minutes in one work day, less 6 feet away from someone who tested positive.

So, if you spent 2 minutes, 5 feet away from someone who popped a positive, it's ok, you can keep showing up to work!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This is probably the clearest set of instructions I've found:

These are the filters I got (they're 30"x20"x1" instead of 20"x20"x1", but were the same price as the smaller ones)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nordic-Pure-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Ultimate-Pleated-MERV-13-Air-Filter-6-Pack-20x30x1M13-6/306131134

And this is the fan (this model seems to pop up in a lot of instructions):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-White-Box-Fan-with-Save-Smart-Technology-for-Energy-Efficiency-B20201/203072133

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

fosborb posted:

there may be terms in that picture you are not familiar with. here's a thread to help:

https://twitter.com/JohnDiesattheEn/status/1507050561727868932?t=i8qsbHTzAEvHpDThgNLlTg&s=19
lol great thread, been through this process so many times throughout the years i've grown accustomed to it
it's pure madness lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

COVID-19? Pandemic? Friend, haven't you heard the good news?

...Oh, what's with the corsi cube and respirator, you ask? That's just for wildfire season. Now if you'll excuse me I have some beans to guard.
:getin:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My favorite part of the American healthcare system was, showing up to pick up your prescription only to find that the insurance company deemed it a preexisting condition, therefore it's $400 and not $40.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Iron Crowned posted:

If it's like my HR, the guidelines for being in contact are: Spent a total of 15 minutes in one work day, less 6 feet away from someone who tested positive.

So, if you spent 2 minutes, 5 feet away from someone who popped a positive, it's ok, you can keep showing up to work!

I don't think society is ever going to be able to move past the 6 foot, 15 minute thing. It's too ingrained.

Wonder how many lives could have been saved if the early messaging had been "stay home whenever possible, wear an N95 or better if you ever need to leave the house."

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tenderjerk posted:

So the biden tests were specifically to keep the positive numbers off the books then? It seems like a good ruse provided there's enough funding to carry it through midterms

the dems are going to be routed in midterms worse than they've ever been routed before no matter what they do at this point

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I don't think society is ever going to be able to move past the 6 foot, 15 minute thing. It's too ingrained.

Wonder how many lives could have been saved if the early messaging had been "stay home whenever possible, wear an N95 or better if you ever need to leave the house."

To most people it's still not even airborne, and you're ok as long as you don't touch your face

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Coldrice posted:

I’ll add another anecdotal story.

I started feeling a little bit like a crazy person taking my covid safety measures so seriously. Everyone’s out and doing things and it just feels like you’re missing the world turning. Luckily this year I got the chance to feel like I was making the right moves.

In January i found out my precious work place, which seemed to have survived totally unscathed for a couple of years, has had rampant outbreaks over and over again. They just hid it, made staff quietly quarantine (or not at all) and didn’t tell their clients. Just villainous stuff.

In that same month I found out the die hard fitness places that stayed open, that I used to go to and miss dearly, have all had constant break outs with staff and clients. Gyms, martial arts studios, outdoor recreation… They just hid it.

If you ask any business they all will tell you they haven’t had a covid outbreak. Oh yeah they’re also mysteriously understaffed for some reason
Yeah uh. This is one of the things that’s really worrying me. As has been posted before, even prominent lawmakers are saying that they feel like they can’t really talk about what things are like for them with long covid. I really wish I knew a way to get this culture of silence to end, but the gaslighting and consent manufacturing are so loving relentless.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol i need to start my passport renewal process and i just had a whole rear end existential crisis about it because i cant see myself voluntary traveling much for a long time

but then i was like lmao might need to cross the border into canada if president dementia gets us into a real ground war.

passport book and card forms filled out >.> Now I gotta brave getting a picture taken.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

empty whippet box posted:

the dems are going to be routed in midterms worse than they've ever been routed before no matter what they do at this point

I'll vote for Fetterman in the primary, one or two local folks, and absolutely no one else. they can all get hosed.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

They're saying it out loud now:

quote:

PHARMA
Moderna weighs private market debut for COVID shot as federal funding flounders
By Fraiser Kansteiner Mar 25, 2022 09:15am

As Congress gridlocks on funding for new COVID-19 therapies and vaccines, mRNA bigwig Moderna is setting its sights on the endemic market for its wildly successful shot, Spikevax, the biotech’s CEO has said.

“[W]hat is not clear today is, will the U.S. become a private market, which is the case for all other medicines we have access to,” Stéphane Bancel speculated in an interview with Yahoo Finance during Moderna’s 3rd annual Vaccines Day on Thursday.

Sans funding, the U.S. won’t have enough extra boosters or variant-specific vaccines for all Americans if they are needed, the White House added.

Meanwhile, not content to rest on its laurels, Moderna is “getting ready for a private market situation,” the CEO said.

“We were always planning this would happen, so the commercial team is spending a lot of time with [pharmacy benefit managers] and pharmacy chains, assuming there’s no funding,” Bancel added, as quoted by Endpoints News.

Since the pandemic’s start, the cost of Moderna’s vaccine has been low in the U.S. compared to places like Europe and Japan, Bancel noted. That’s because the company was reimbursing the U.S. government for the grant it got to bankroll its clinical study, the CEO explained.

In an endemic setting, meanwhile, Bancel figures the price of Moderna’s vaccine would be “higher than it’s been over the past two years," the CEO told Yahoo.

Whether Moderna’s vaccine rolls out through public or private channels in the U.S., the company is making sure it’s ready to meet demand this fall, Bancel pointed out.

Moderna boasts manufacturing capacity now that it didn’t have back at the start of the pandemic, Bancel told Yahoo. When its shot was authorized in December 2020, the biotech had just 20 million doses total to ship, he added. The company now touts capacity to produce between 2 billion to 3 billion doses a year.

Having to pay marked up prices for mRNA shots is bad enough, but esp if they don't divert some of that expanded capacity to actually targeting the vaccines to something vaguely resembling the dominant variant in 2022.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Mar 25, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Coldrice posted:

I’ll add another anecdotal story.

I started feeling a little bit like a crazy person taking my covid safety measures so seriously. Everyone’s out and doing things and it just feels like you’re missing the world turning. Luckily this year I got the chance to feel like I was making the right moves.

In that same month I found out the die hard fitness places that stayed open, that I used to go to and miss dearly, have all had constant break outs with staff and clients. Gyms, martial arts studios, outdoor recreation… They just hid it.

If you ask any business they all will tell you they haven’t had a covid outbreak. Oh yeah they’re also mysteriously understaffed for some reason

I am still a member of a handful of Judo and BJJ facebook groups from when I was younger and competing, and some fitness kickboxing places that I've gone to over the years. And not a single one has shut down or ever so much as mentioned any type of outbreak or illness. It's impossible that there hasn't been a single one for any of them over the last two years. But outside of a month or two in early 2020 they've been at it every day and if you followed them on social media you'd think they'd never had a single case among any of their members.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

lol i need to start my passport renewal process and i just had a whole rear end existential crisis about it because i cant see myself voluntary traveling much for a long time

but then i was like lmao might need to cross the border into canada if president dementia gets us into a real ground war.

passport book and card forms filled out >.> Now I gotta brave getting a picture taken.

Take it yourself and then print it with Shutterfly or some other online place. The rules for the picture format and quality aren't hard to follow at home and cell phone cameras are perfectly good enough quality as long as your cell phone isn't a decade old.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

silicone thrills posted:

:same:

At least once I move in a few weeks. I was worried about the photo bit but evidently you can take one yourself.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

I've found multiple instances of friends and family concealing that a) they got it , and b) the severity of their symptoms from me because they think I'm a crazy cave syndromer and if they admit they were loving hospitalized it'll just keep me from coming to brunch that much longer.

A friend told another friend that they felt closer to death with COVID than the time they almost bled out during a C-Section but I had to hear that through the grape vine because they didn't want to trigger my COVID anxiety.
good lord and folks want to continue on as if this is completely normal, it's fine, these things just happen now.
i wonder if they bother to mask post-hospitalization (lol.)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tzen posted:

lol great thread, been through this process so many times throughout the years i've grown accustomed to it
it's pure madness lmao

Any tips on how not to get sent to collections over the $11 your insurance decided it didn't want to pay after all the day before the doctor says it's due?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

excess deaths updated. as always, the last few data points are incomplete, but their rate of change can be useful

some interesting notes:

- week ending Feb 15 is already up to 22% excess, very likely that number will end up closer to 30%

- week ending Jan 29 just barely managed to become the new local peak at 35% excess mortality, as I predicted shortly after that date

- likely to have a brief and shallow dip as the next few weeks fill out, BA.2 already showing up in the week ending March 12 -- the far right column is already above half of the expected mortality, usually the initial update is less than half

mdemone has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Mar 25, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Strep Vote posted:

every unmasked face is a gun pointing at me and every smiling jackass is saying "don't worry it's not loaded"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

at this point I would say it is more likely than not, that we will very soon eclipse the excess mortality record of 42% that Alpha set on January 9 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Any tips on how not to get sent to collections over the $11 your insurance decided it didn't want to pay after all the day before the doctor says it's due?
I've never experienced getting sent to collections or having my paycheck garnished, so I can't speak on that.

For any medical procedure, over the course of 2-6 weeks I collect all the mail associated with whatever procedure/visit/etc was in a folder, then once I see that it's all finally been sorted out on their ends and I've been sent/billed for everything, I then pay whatever is due.

For example, when my youngest was born, it took nearly 2 months for all the docs/techs/insurance/etc bills to be sent out, and then we paid the bills. 💸

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/aklingus/status/1507386151463964678?s=21

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Two more years for the CDC to get a handle on long COVID. No rush.

quote:

Official U.S. Long Covid-19 Data Two Years Away, Hurts Research
EXCLUSIVE
March 21, 2022, 2:29 PM

Democrats asked CDC to publicly release findings
Government estimates seen as more legitimate
Lawmakers want data from public health officials on the prevalence of long Covid, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention won’t have it for another two years.

Reps. Don Beyer (D-Va.) and Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.) asked the CDC in a January letter to publicly release their findings on how many people have long Covid and to break that data down by race, ethnicity, age, gender, previous disability, and other demographic characteristics.

Aaron Fritschner, a spokesman for Beyer, said his office got a briefing from the agency in response and were told the CDC “would not internally have a dataset from which they could publicly post disaggregated data for two years.”

The lawmakers’ aides weren’t provided any data at all.

Though private studies have tried to nail down how many people actually have long Covid and how many more could get it in the future, lawmakers say numbers from a trusted source like the CDC could help convince Congress to pass more funding for research and new aid for support services.
One thing to note is taking the CDC at their word means they don't think they'll have a robust dataset on long COVID that could be shared with the public for two years. However this isn't stopping them from producing community risk levels based on the explicit assumption that the only relevant COVID public health goal is to limit the severe disease rate to match hospital capacity.

Once again the most charitable interpretation is the CDC is really just not good at its job of preventing disease.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

This is where I looked when we put ours together. Do it, it's fantastic. I'm also in Oregon and my allergies have never been so mild.
quoting for later use
also thanks to the other op for posting those other corsicube instructions

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'll vote for Fetterman in the primary, one or two local folks, and absolutely no one else. they can all get hosed.

im never voting again lol why the gently caress would you vote

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FETTERMAN SMASH

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

bedpan posted:

Bolded why he didn't tell you he got COVID.

I mean, I could have given it to them theoretically. Or he could have gotten it before they visited my house. I certainly would have told him if the shoe was on the other foot out of an abundance of caution, buuuuut nothing to be done now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol i need to replace my furnace cause that fucker is 40 years old (I have minisplits but WA state requires 2 working heat sources! FUN) and imma be like GIMME WHAT EVER FILTERS poo poo BEST THX. Highest priority.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

One thing to note is taking the CDC at their word means they don't think they'll have a robust dataset on long COVID that could be shared with the public for two years. However this isn't stopping them from producing community risk levels based on the explicit assumption that the only relevant COVID public health goal is to limit the severe disease rate to match hospital capacity.

Once again the most charitable interpretation is the CDC is really just not good at its job of preventing disease.

society will have failed by that time

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX30I_-E21s

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nocturtle posted:

I gotta do a quote dump later from Michael Lewis’s The Premonition. He loving eviscerates the CDC in that book.

but yes, tl;dr: they are bad at their job and have been for quite some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

There are some local people I'm voting for because I know they're trying to do good, like Summer Lee.

Anyone on the national level can eat my rear end though