Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Where's that story about that one computer that couldn't be shut down or disconnected, so it got walled in during renovation. I think it was in a school.

https://www.theregister.com/2001/04/12/missing_novell_server_discovered_after/

I think that's it. There are other stories of "lost" important servers, usually shoved in closets somewhere.

In the mid 2000's when the company I worked for was still in it's just barely past startup phase we had a surprising number of "critical" systems just stashed under peoples desks in their cubes. Tale as old as time, some developer grabs a spare computer to test some new software out, and before you know it, it's a critical piece of production infrastructure. "Someone call Roger, we can't build software packages right now, he needs to reboot that computer under his desk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There's a reason a whole lot of commercial network gear has an option to blink all the lights on the panel, and it isn't because sysadmins like to hold the world's saddest raves.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Jaxyon posted:

It's in the attic.

But the attic access involves clearing out a bunch of poo poo to get to. It's not that bad, I'd just rather not if I can do it remotely.

If you do end up having to do it one last time, maybe one of those remote button pusher things would work :)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
How does this look for a powerline ethernet? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H74VKZU/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAcu9

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This might sound dumb but can your run all your cameras into a switch and from the switch to a now more reasonably located PC?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Are things like Adguard and pi-hole complete DNS replacements or do they pass through normal requests to a primary dns resolver like Cloudflare?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

It's in the attic.

But the attic access involves clearing out a bunch of poo poo to get to. It's not that bad, I'd just rather not if I can do it remotely.

I'd suggest shifting gears to plan on going up to the attic, but with a goal of making it so you don't run into this situation in the future. You've probably already invested more time trying to figure how to access the machine remotely than it would have taken to go up into the attic already, and given the situation it seems highly likely the only way to get the machine working again is to access it physically.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Are things like Adguard and pi-hole complete DNS replacements or do they pass through normal requests to a primary dns resolver like Cloudflare?
In order for them to be ~true~ DNS replacements, they need to include an authoritative name server daemon like BIND or nsd (from the people who make unbound, if you're familiar with that).

So far as I know, both use dnsmasq which is just a caching DNS resolver and DHCP daemon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I've narrowed the problem down to one of the two cables between the UDM and the switch. One goes from the UDM to a wall plate, the other from that plate to the switch. Now the problem is that I can't test the shorter cable because for some reason I can't get the laptop and desktop to talk to each other over that cable. I've set their IP addresses to 192.168.1.x (x is 2 and 3) and the same subnet mask, 255.255.0.0, but can't ping either from the other.

Finally had time to do a bit more testing this evening, and also borrowed a cable from a neighbor. Turns out the problem was the cable from the UDM to the wall jack. Just ordered a replacement, so hooray! No idea where that crappy cable came from, but it's in the trash now...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KKKLIP ART posted:

This might sound dumb but can your run all your cameras into a switch and from the switch to a now more reasonably located PC?

But then it might get stolen and you won’t have video of the crime for the cops to ignore.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

In order for them to be ~true~ DNS replacements, they need to include an authoritative name server daemon like BIND or nsd (from the people who make unbound, if you're familiar with that).

So far as I know, both use dnsmasq which is just a caching DNS resolver and DHCP daemon.

I haven't screwed with my pi-hole in a while, but this sounds about right to me.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

LRADIKAL posted:

I haven't screwed with my pi-hole in a while

You must be getting pretty horny.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

This works pretty decent. However my connection is only clocking ~150Mbps. Thinking this might be because of the Cat5 ethernet cables I'm using though. Ordering some Cat6 cables and trying again in a few days.

e: oh i am already using cat 5e cables. hrmph

e2: my laptop plugged directly into the router gets 400Mbps. I guess there really isn't a way to get speeds like this on my 2nd floor computer without directly running a wire through the whole drat house?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 27, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Jinnigan posted:

This works pretty decent. However my connection is only clocking ~150Mbps. Thinking this might be because of the Cat5 ethernet cables I'm using though. Ordering some Cat6 cables and trying again in a few days.

e: oh i am already using cat 5e cables. hrmph

e2: my laptop plugged directly into the router gets 400Mbps. I guess there really isn't a way to get speeds like this on my 2nd floor computer without directly running a wire through the whole drat house?

If your power line is crossing breakers you're going to see big speed reduction. MoCA would be preferred if you have coax connections available.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

It's in the attic.

Find the breaker for the attic stuff and power it down and bring it back up in a few minutes?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What does the thread think of the Nighthawk AX4300? Costco has them for $129 and I've been thinking of swapping my old router for a new Wifi6 model.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

What does the thread think of the Nighthawk AX4300? Costco has them for $129 and I've been thinking of swapping my old router for a new Wifi6 model.

I can't find anything on the product site about it using the 6ghz spectrum so I'm not sure if this router supports it. Or maybe that's a 6e thing. I'm a big ignorant on the difference between 6 and 6e.

Edit:

I guess 6e is specifically about the new 6ghz spectrum and wifi 6 is mostly protocols which IIRC only really benefit high density. Not sure wifi 6 is worth it at all for home users.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

withoutclass posted:

I can't find anything on the product site about it using the 6ghz spectrum so I'm not sure if this router supports it. Or maybe that's a 6e thing. I'm a big ignorant on the difference between 6 and 6e.

Edit:

I guess 6e is specifically about the new 6ghz spectrum and wifi 6 is mostly protocols which IIRC only really benefit high density. Not sure wifi 6 is worth it at all for home users.

Interesting, I had no idea about that. Guess I'll do some more research before dropping any money.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

withoutclass posted:

In my apartment building, it's impossible to find a 2.4GHz channel that isn't already saturated. 5GHz is better, but I can still see a bunch of other apartments' SSIDs, picking a clear channel is a bit of a dance.

More efficient use of the spectrum is a nice improvement, more spectrum would be even better.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The thing with that though is if you are currently using 2.4ghz it’s probably because you are too far away from the AP to use 5ghz or the device is too cheap/lower powered to support another radio and 6E isn’t going to help with either. Right now most WiFi 6E routers are going to run you $500 (with tp-link offering a “budget” one at $300) but I think it’s going to be at least another 3-5 years before I’d consider it in a home network.

As for the RAX45, it seems to be a limited retailer release (Walmart and Costco) which is a little worrisome but it has had quite a few firmware updates. With that said, I don’t think the RAX45 is worth $50 more than the RAX40 (or even the RAX20 for another $12 in savings).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the thing with 6e, especially the 5/6ghz bands, is the assumption of either same room or mesh networking.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How much of a speed downgrade is there when using a coax splitter with MOCA bridges?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Residency Evil posted:

How much of a speed downgrade is there when using a coax splitter with MOCA bridges?

For my MOCA adapter it was Wall Coax -> Splitter -> (Cable Modem, MOCA adapter). I was able to hit gigabit on it. The other end of the MOCA adapter was going through the 8-way splitter on the house as well. I think when using MOCA the use of splitters is pretty much inevitable. Maybe if you go too crazy with the splitters it could degrade though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fletcher posted:

For my MOCA adapter it was Wall Coax -> Splitter -> (Cable Modem, MOCA adapter). I was able to hit gigabit on it. The other end of the MOCA adapter was going through the 8-way splitter on the house as well. I think when using MOCA the use of splitters is pretty much inevitable. Maybe if you go too crazy with the splitters it could degrade though.

That's helpful, thanks. I just learned that it's possible to use a splitter with multiple moca adapters, so I'm thinking of adding an AP to an area of our house that currently doesn't have one. Curious if it would work with 6E down the road.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I posted this in the NAS thread but I figure this thread might have more first hand experience with what I'm trying to do.

quote:

This is probably as good a place as any to ask - I'm running wireguard as a client on my TrueNAS box in order to provide access to it when I'm out and about. (This is documented on the official website so I'm taking it as read that this is a sanctioned use-case.) I'm behind a double-NAT setup in my current building which means that my prior solution of using the OpenVPN server built into my router no longer works, so Wireguard seemed like the most elegant solution. I have the server set up on a VPS and most of my devices including the NAS connecting to it as clients - it works great!

However, jails do that weird IP-spoofing thing where they all appear as their own network interface with its own IP address, which means I can't access plugins through the VPN. Is there a way to access them despite this? I assume installing a separate instance of Wireguard in each jail works, but that seems like a horrible redundant nightmare. It would be nice if there were some networking wizardry that wasn't also a horrible nightmare. Any ideas?

This is all very much a nice-to-have but it's been fun setting it up and would like to see whether it can completely deliver.

Since I posted that I think I've figured out that this is possible and that I need to somehow configure the truenas box to act as a gateway that forwards traffic from the wireguard interface onto the local subnet. However the guides I've been reading online haven't helped. I followed this guide which gave me the idea to add the local subnet onto the list of allowed IPs for the truenas box in the hosted server's wireguard config, and to turn on packet forwarding on the truenas box. This hasn't worked - I can't find a good guide like this for BSD for obvious reasons.

I may be trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole and I'd be better suited to a raspberry pi running this, but this is the only computer I have running 24/7 and it's one less thing to janitor. Any ideas?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Residency Evil posted:

That's helpful, thanks. I just learned that it's possible to use a splitter with multiple moca adapters, so I'm thinking of adding an AP to an area of our house that currently doesn't have one. Curious if it would work with 6E down the road.

Mine were Actiontec Moca adapters that claimed up to 2.5 Gbps but I never tested them beyond 1 Gbps. Side note, looks like Actiontec is now ScreenBeam.

I had 4 Moca adapters at one point and they all worked fine going through that same 8-way splitter at the house.

If you have multiple ethernet devices you want to connect to a Moca adapter I'd suggest connecting the Moca to a switch, and then plug your devices into the switch (figure B). Wasn't clear to me if your comment was referring to something like figure A.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 30, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Legit thinking of ditching my home UDM-PRO already, but I’m non-jokingly thinking of just replacing it with a layer 3 brocade switch.

I have a number of device VLANs (IoT, User, Lab) and two VLANs uplinked to my AP hotspots (User WiFi just shares User VLAN, and Guest VLAN).

I’m literally not using my UDM-PRO for anything, the pppoe throughput bug seems to have mysteriously appeared (speedtest is 500mbit on rj45 behind UDM with DPI off, vs 900 on rj45 behind ISP’s router).

In my mind I’m trying to establish whether I can make layer 3 ACLs do what I need. I’m just kind of back of the envelope thinking this out so maybe it’s a really dumb idea, who knows.

Brocade would have IP space for each VLAN, let’s say something like
User: 10.0.10.0/24
Lab: 10.0.20.0/22
Guest: 10.0.30.0/24

ISP’s router private IP space would be something like 10.0.1.0/24 and static routes for the above VLANs to the L3 switch

On the Brocade, User and LAB VLANs are ACL’d to deny IoT and Guest VLAN. I think with extended ACLs I could do specific port rules ifI wanted access to plex or something, who knows.

My Synology already hands out DHCP and DNS so I guess I’d need to make sure that the Brocade can accommodate DHCP relay.

I’ve been so profoundly unimpressed with the UDM-PRO that I’m not really sure it provides anything I want anymore. I can put the controller for the APs on my Synology and call it a day.

Not doing anything rash, just kind of thinking out loud here. Not married to a Brocade L3 solution but if I can replace the UDM with a 24 port switch with 4 SFP+ for a few 10GB devices then great. Brocade has one that is cheap-ish on the used market and fairly quiet with low power consumption since this is in my basement within earshot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I recently did the reverse having my controller in a jail and using a USG. I am pretty happy I made the switch. The setup and switch over went really smooth, and the controller UI is a lot less glitchy/buggy/slow in comparison. I'm not sure if the controller software is that much different between the jail/UDM-Pro or if the Jail version is ported or what but everything just feels more stable now. Not saying you shouldn't do your thing just sharing my anecdote.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

And here I am still contemplating what APs I want to get to replace my AC Lites.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'd be interested to hear from people who've used TP-Link+Omada - it's a self-hosted central controller like Ubiquiti has with Unifi, and supposedly TP-Link or at least their business line is far better than the old consumer gear they used to produce.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I know TP Link is a big company, but I'm very unimpressed with the engineers that work on their Deco line. Hopefully the Omada crew are better.

To summarize my qualm: Decos, except for the feature-limited M5 model (and only with a beta firmware), cannot be manually routed. By default, all nodes prefer to connect to the main unit that plugs into WAN. Unfortunately, this can result in scenarios like below, where node A bypasses B and wants to connect to C, the main unit, despite getting low signal and 10mbps from that routing versus high signal and 200+ mbps from routing A - B - C. Tis really stupid.

A ---- B ---- C

bobfather fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 31, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bobfather posted:

I know TP Link is a big company, but I'm very unimpressed with the engineers that work on their Deco line. Hopefully the Omada crew are better.

To summarize my qualm: Decos, except for the feature-limited M5 model (and only that model only with a beta firmware), cannot be manually routed. By default, all nodes prefer to connect to the main unit that plugs into WAN. Unfortunately, this can result in scenarios like the below, where node A bypasses B and wants to connect to C, the main unit, despite getting low signal and 10mbps from that routing versus high signal and 200+ mbps from routing A - B - C. Tis really stupid.

A ---- B ---- C
Yeah, wifi meshing just... isn't.
Like, it's not a technology that exists.

PR people will try to sell it from time to time, but it doesn't exist in any way-shape-or-form that they promise, and what you get is a mess that won't ever work reliably unless you baby it to the point that you're spending a considerable amount of hours doing signal calibration a week, or if you live several hundreds of meters from anyone and only have the individual access point airtime sharing timings to deal with.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I have an EAP610 and I appreciate that it’s more available than the UAP-6-lite and it allows for web configuration (No Omada controller needed, even for advanced features) but drat is it huge in comparison and the lack of DFS is kind of a bummer. There’s always a chance that it might be available in the future but the truth is supporting our regulations just isn’t the primary focus. From my understanding even the 660HD and 620HD don’t, but the EU firmware does. And the forum support being largely one account that will “pass on suggestions/questions” isn’t great either.

I’ll stand by their smart switches as I personally think they are the best in class for price. I’ve also had pretty good luck with longevity of their consumer routers and the EAP225 is very reasonably priced. I just personally wouldn’t invest any considerable amount into their products at this time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cyks posted:

I have an EAP610 and I appreciate that it’s more available than the UAP-6-lite and it allows for web configuration (No Omada controller needed, even for advanced features) but drat is it huge in comparison and the lack of DFS is kind of a bummer. There’s always a chance that it might be available in the future but the truth is supporting our regulations just isn’t the primary focus. From my understanding even the 660HD and 620HD don’t, but the EU firmware does. And the forum support being largely one account that will “pass on suggestions/questions” isn’t great either.

I’ll stand by their smart switches as I personally think they are the best in class for price. I’ve also had pretty good luck with longevity of their consumer routers and the EAP225 is very reasonably priced. I just personally wouldn’t invest any considerable amount into their products at this time.
What do you mean DFS is lacking? That's required for devices operating in the 5GHz ISM band, because otherwise the AP can interfere with radar.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What do you mean DFS is lacking? That's required for devices operating in the 5GHz ISM band, because otherwise the AP can interfere with radar.

Thanks for your thoughts.

TP-link devices are notorious for not allowing the use of UNII-2 and extended channels in the US. I believe a few of their higher end ax wireless routers do but it’s a feature typically missing that their competitors have.

Whether that matters or not for most home networks is arguable (I’m still using my EAP610 after all) but for the the two “high density enterprise APs” it’s something they should really support.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If I need a basic home switch (5 or 8 ports), is there much between the different OEMs? I'll probably pick up a Netgear, TP-Link or D-Link depending on price/availability.

Edit: nevermind. I just read the OP like I should have done in the first place.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 31, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Trying to navigate my way between various set-up options, hoping to get some advice on what would balance complexity and efficiency.

I would like to have a network for loving around with a server that is isolated from the rest of things while still maintaining a simpler network for household stuff. My planned setup is something like

pre:
Xfinity -> Modem -> coax splitter ->Google Wifi -> wireless network for smart TV + devices
                                  -> edgerouterX -> wired NAS + home PC + serverlab + pihole
How much of a fuss will this be given I am only using residential ISP? I really want the Google wifi mesh to keep the everyday stuff simple but also would like a more sophisticated router to gently caress around with.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

Trying to navigate my way between various set-up options, hoping to get some advice on what would balance complexity and efficiency.

I would like to have a network for loving around with a server that is isolated from the rest of things while still maintaining a simpler network for household stuff. My planned setup is something like

pre:
Xfinity -> Modem -> coax splitter ->Google Wifi -> wireless network for smart TV + devices
                                  -> edgerouterX -> wired NAS + home PC + serverlab + pihole
How much of a fuss will this be given I am only using residential ISP? I really want the Google wifi mesh to keep the everyday stuff simple but also would like a more sophisticated router to gently caress around with.

I don't see a way to make this work. It depends on the modem but typically the coax is for the internet side with a single ethernet port out that will connect to your router(unless its one of those modem/router combos).
I don't know how friendly Google Wifi is for setting up but my recommendation would be modem -> edgerouterx and have the google wifi connected to it in AP mode. If you want to gently caress around with networking install pfsense/opensense on your serverlab. Or if the server just needs to be isolated then isolate in on the edgerouter.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cyks posted:

I don't see a way to make this work. It depends on the modem but typically the coax is for the internet side with a single ethernet port out that will connect to your router(unless its one of those modem/router combos).
I don't know how friendly Google Wifi is for setting up but my recommendation would be modem -> edgerouterx and have the google wifi connected to it in AP mode. If you want to gently caress around with networking install pfsense/opensense on your serverlab. Or if the server just needs to be isolated then isolate in on the edgerouter.

:doh: I should have known this.

Sounds like I can't use mesh if I have the google router in AP which is the entire point of keeping the drat thing. I wonder how bad the double nat would be for streaming since that'd be the main point of the mesh network :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

:doh: I should have known this.

Sounds like I can't use mesh if I have the google router in AP which is the entire point of keeping the drat thing. I wonder how bad the double nat would be for streaming since that'd be the main point of the mesh network :eng99:

Yeah, looks to be correct. There’s a setting to turn the edgerouterx into just a switch but it does not allow you to set vlans on a per port level so it just really depends on what your ultimate design goal is.