Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Hmm, major mistborn 4-6 spoilers then. Don't you find out Kelsier lived/was a cognitive shadow earlier on, so that's not the big reveal? I thought the reveal was just that he went off and ruled the southern continent and stuff happened there. It's been forever since I've read mistborn so I'm probably just not remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Hmm, major mistborn 4-6 spoilers then. Don't you find out Kelsier lived/was a cognitive shadow earlier on, so that's not the big reveal? I thought the reveal was just that he went off and ruled the southern continent and stuff happened there. It's been forever since I've read mistborn so I'm probably just not remembering.

Mistborn 4-6 spoilers, having just gone through the books recently, You don’t find out about Kelsier until the epilogue of book 6. In book 6, there is misdirection making you think the Lord Ruler lived/was brought back and went to Southern Scadrial. Then in the epilogue, it is revealed as Kelsier.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius already answered this, but remember the very last scene of Mistborn 6: A person goes to the Southern Scadrians, who are wearing masks, huddled in their home, about to die from the cold. And then the character WITH PROMINENT SCARS ON HIS ARMS says just one word, one command to them: "Survive!"

That's the shocker ending of Bands of Mourning, which would lose all wow factor if you read Secret History first.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

drat, that is pretty good. Well, I'll blame Sanderson since the audiobook has only a little blurb before starting secret history that it contains minor spoilers for mistborn 6. Minor my rear end

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Secret History had my favorite Sanderson novella. The one about being in the woods in the night. Or rather, not being in the woods. It owned so hard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Secret History had my favorite Sanderson novella. The one about being in the woods in the night. Or rather, not being in the woods. It owned so hard.

I really want a series set on Threnody.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell is delightful.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

There is a line from sazed / harmony in one of the earlier books where he says to wax that he has not spoken to kelsier in a while, implying that he’s around in some form but there is no context and you don’t really get that context until the end of book 6 / secret history. The reveal was still big as I didn’t really believe he was still around in the way that he is.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wonder if Sanderson’s inspiration (late Mistborn spoilers) for Kelsier is “you die a hero and then come back to become the villain”

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Democratic Pirate posted:

I wonder if Sanderson’s inspiration (late Mistborn spoilers) for Kelsier is “you die a hero and then come back to become the villain”

He has said that in any context other than the Final Empire, Kelsier would have been a villain instead of the hero... and we're not in the context of the Final Empire anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think my favorite Mistborn moment is in Secret History when Vin tells Kelsier “You still have a lot to learn about love, Kelsier.” Made my jaw drop. Secret History gave me the closer to Vin and Elend that I didn’t know I needed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a Word of Brandon I strongly object to. I think it undermines a central pillar of TFE.

“Kelsier,” Vin said quietly. “He’s a good man, isn’t he?”

Sazed smiled. “A very good man, Mistress. One of the best I’ve known.”

Vin's journey to heroine, to savior of the world, started because of Kelsier and his example. Was Kelsier ever a saint like Vin or Kaladin? No. Is he at least in the Dalinar range of somebody struggling to be a better person? Yes. We see his murderous vengeance softening leading him to understand somebody like Elend could be a good person. He saved Elend's life. This was not part of his master plan, it was an impromptu selfless act for somebody he loved, namely his daughter Vin. But on top of that he did admit he was wrong about Elend. TFE is his redemption arc.

Funny - my two favorite Sanderson novels are both redemption books.

And I'm happy Vin and Kelsier have better parting words in SH than in TFE.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

is there a wob where he literally says this? i found one that's like

quote:

However, the most disturbing of [his characters] is probably Kelsier. He's a psychopath--meaning the actual, technical term. Lack of empathy, egotism, lack of fear. If his life had gone differently, he could have been a very, very evil dude.

but that's really about how Kelsier can be the kind of person to run a brutal terrorist campaign while also being heroic. he didn't turn out evil, but he's the type of person that could've if he was raised differently

personally, i think he's going to remain not-evil but with goals that may well be in conflict with Harmony. other WOBs have also implied that he isn't exactly in control of the ghostbloods in other systems and some of the nastier things they've done are likely because of his inability to really manage a far-flung network while he's trapped on-planet

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 18, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh speaking of Secret History, it's a novella I haven't read yet. When should I read it? I realized I overlooked Dawnshard so I'm catching on that after finishing RoW but I'm seeing some conflicting suggestions on when to read Secret History. Should I wait until I finish Allow of Law?

e: v - sweet thanks, will wait.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Oh speaking of Secret History, it's a novella I haven't read yet. When should I read it? I realized I overlooked Dawnshard so I'm catching on that after finishing RoW but I'm seeing some conflicting suggestions on when to read Secret History. Should I wait until I finish Allow of Law?

Post bands of mourning

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I had a random thought: (Rhythm of War spoilers)Many spren bonding darkeyes is sending the nowadays expected message about social classes being dumb. Yet two of the three most powerful spren bonded high nobility (or now royalty), which undercuts the message a bit.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Secret Project #3 preview chapters spoiler chat, which includes overall Cosmere discussion (including the unpublished Aether of Night):

Hoid as narrator was obvious straightaway, but the end of the preview chapters threw me for a loop. This is obviously WAY further out in the Cosmere timeline than the Stormlight Archives, since Design has somehow managed to get off planet, though there is a question of whether they're outside of the Rosharan system? I don't think the planet is Braize and I doubt it's Ashyn either.

Also did the nightmares and the way the spirits work remind anyone else of Aether of Night? Not the aethers themselves, but the duality (which was a concept that got incorporated into the Ruin/Preservation opposition in Mistborn) and also the melting wax figures. Trapping the nightmares in art was a nice touch though, I liked that.

And yeah, I will say that I'm probably most excited for Secret Project #3, simply because of the Cosmere tie-ins. He did say that he views all of secret projects as standalone novels that will be good entry points into his work, but there are a LOT of Cosmere references throughout the preview chapters. Like, a LOT more than I thought there would be. I don't think people who are used to reading fantasy would be bothered by it, but people who don't read a lot of fantasy might struggle. I wonder how much he'll cut back during revision to make it more accessible to new readers, especially those who have backed simply because they were curious about the Kickstarter.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sanderson and his team are killing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMHmimYHdo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Sanderson plays RPGs or at least he used to. I'm watching this video that just came out, first time ever I've watched a vid of his like this.

Does anybody here know what games he played? My main interest is in Old World of Darkness stuff like Vampire: The Masquerade.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So Sanderson plays RPGs or at least he used to. I'm watching this video that just came out, first time ever I've watched a vid of his like this.

Does anybody here know what games he played? My main interest is in Old World of Darkness stuff like Vampire: The Masquerade.

He put a video out a while back about his 10 favorite games.

https://youtu.be/kFZNpT_INmA

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

For the last year he has repeatedly talked about Hades being his most played game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

For the last year he has repeatedly talked about Hades being his most played game.

Everybody should play Hades, not only is it a blast but the writing is superb, the voice acting is amazing, and the story is surprisingly deep. Just an absolutely wonderful experience.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I really appreciated the podcast where Dan was like, "I do not understand how that game was so popular"

I put 12 hours into it, which is a LOT for a Roguelite for me, but yea it really didn't do much for me. But still fun listening to Brandon talk about why he loved it so much

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He is consciously NOT playing elden ring because he can't spare 200 hours right now.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Sab669 posted:

I really appreciated the podcast where Dan was like, "I do not understand how that game was so popular"

I put 12 hours into it, which is a LOT for a Roguelite for me, but yea it really didn't do much for me. But still fun listening to Brandon talk about why he loved it so much

I had to stop listening to their podcast. Brandon was good, but I found Dan and his frequent bad takes annoying.

I'm probably projecting a bit since I grew up partially homeschooled in a conservative Christian household, but I question people that stick with any sort of fundamentalist religion into their adult life.

I'm able to read Brandon because, through his work, I know he understands the arguments against his faith, and I can pretend he only sticks with it because of familial obligations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm able to read Brandon because, through his work, I know he understands the arguments against his faith, and I can pretend he only sticks with it because of familial obligations.

As a Mormon in Utah, social life and church life are pretty close to inseparable. Or so I'm told.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Louisgod posted:

Everybody should play Hades, not only is it a blast but the writing is superb, the voice acting is amazing, and the story is surprisingly deep. Just an absolutely wonderful experience.

Hades is an amazing game, I have 200 hours in it, and earned all but one achievement. It has great characters and good writing, while also being really fun. And runs are usually from about 20-30 minutes, which means you can always squeeze in one run in your day.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

woah today's 10 chapter release is some real poo poo

far-future sigzil!

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

far-future sigzil!

Can you provide a link?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Can you provide a link?

https://youtu.be/lJ6FHoT4oyg

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/first-look-at-secret-project-four-hint-its-stormlight-adjacent/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

definitely the wildest of all the prerelease stuff with huge implications for Stormlight 5

- Sigzil appears to have held a dawnshard like Hoid once did (but no longer has it), and afflicted by the same condition that prevents him from doing any violence, which he calls a 'torment'
- Surprised to see who he thinks is Kaladin, but seems more like a "wait you can't still be alive" than a "you were dead!" thing
- What the gently caress is Aux? Acts and talks a lot like a kinda batty highspren might, but references being 'dead' and the powers don't seem exactly like what a Radiant should have -- maybe a revived Deadeye that he bonded?
- Something called the 'Night Brigade' hunting him for his Connection to whatever Dawnshard he once held, which Hoid says he used to save the Cosmere but Sig says that really he only maybe saved Hoid with it
- Unknown shard on this hell planet, which is similar to Ashyn but definitely not Ashyn, and with an invested sun like Taldain but not Taldain
- No idea what powerset Sig/Nomad currently holds, he appears to be able (aided by his maybe-Spren) to warp around somehow, and can absorb investiture from invested things like Nightblood or Chiri Chiri

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 24, 2022

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVdZ018gsRw
Brandon backs every publishing kickstarter currently going

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Brandon really going for the benevolent monarch look. Needs some purple capes or something to pull it off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
hmm this Brandon guy seems like a pretty good person.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

eke out posted:

far-future sigzil!
Honestly, this one worries me. There's a constant stream of fucky punctuation -- either Aux is narrating himself or the italics have been badly formatted on nearly every single line -- and there's such a stream of unanswered poo poo going on due to the time-jump that I found it actively distracting. What's a Torment? What kind of a name for a spren is Auxiliary? Why does the spren refer to itself as a knight, and Sig as a squire? Why are we seeing the first results of Adolin's ongoing bond-to-a-deadeyes-and-wake-them-up experiment here, rather than, y'know, when Adolin finally does it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aux is definitely narrating out loud, that isn't punctuation error he's like a batty old knight (and he drops the schtick later)

lotta the rest of that is just assumptions and there's a lot of room for him to go in a very different direction Aux is only mentioned as a 'spren' once and people from Roshar love to call everything spren, but even assuming he is one, we never actually see him which leaves open the possibility he's Enlightened, or artificially created, or a bunch of other weird things. Also imo it's more likely that freeing Ba-Ado-Mishram is what fixes Deadeyes, Adolin's merely proved that they're still alive, there's a larger magical problem that created them that's directly linked to BAM

the Torment is, I think, a little clearer, just because we can make at least one major connection: Hoid's residually immortal and unable to do harm because he once held a certain Dawnshard, and Sigzil now has the same deal from holding the same Dawnshard. We just never knew the name of what Hoid's deal was until now. And obviously we don't know why that happens from holding a dawnshard or which one it was, but it's easy to speculate that like, its purpose could be opposed to violence and it thereby makes you unable to do violence/etc

anyways that's a lot of words to say i get where you're coming from but i think he's purposefully hiding the stuff that would giveaway plot arcs in Stormlight 5. we'll probably see the effects in ways that hint at possible causes but not fully confirm them

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 25, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

eke out posted:

aux is definitely narrating out loud, that isn't punctuation error he's like a batty old knight (and he drops the schtick later)
I mean, that's actually better -- if Aux thinks he's a knight and Nomad is his squire, that's fine, but if the omniscient narration was giving them those titles I was inclined to pitch fits.

quote:

Also imo it's more likely that freeing Ba-Ado-Mishram is what fixes Deadeyes, Adolin's merely proved that they're still alive, there's a larger magical problem that created them that's directly linked to BAM
Vociferous disagree on this, though. I know that it didn't happen before BAM got bound, but "Knights breaking their oaths makes Deadeyes" is used as a bludgeon against Adolin again and again in RoW, and we flat-out see that Shallan breaking her first bonds created a Deadeye. Spren are only as dead as their oaths.

Also on a personal level I've been expecting that this plotline ends with Adolin swearing his Ideal to Maya to fully wake her up, which I am excited for because it's going to be an incredibly cool moment and I'm extra excited to see what comes after that -- seeing what having Enlightened Knights and Deadeye Knights and Singer Knights knocking around with the quote-unquote "normal" Knights looks like and what that does to their Orders and society is something I expect for Book 6. So if I don't get what I want, I'll be pissed. In fact, the entire Adolin/Shallan plotline mostly pissed me off in RoW because, to my eyes, it was all wheel-spinning -- the logical next step is Adolin swearing his oaths to Maya, it has been since the end of Oathbringer, quit wasting my goddamn time and get to it. Sanderson usually surprises me by jumping predicted events up way earlier than I expect them to happen (everyone thought Rayse was being set up as the big bad of the entire Cosmere!), so I get extra annoyed when he of all authors drags his heels on a plot point.

quote:

anyways that's a lot of words to say i get where you're coming from but i think he's purposefully hiding the stuff that would giveaway plot arcs in Stormlight 5. we'll probably see the effects in ways that hint at possible causes but not fully confirm them
Yeah, but "purposely hiding the stuff that would give away plot arcs in Stormlight 5" actually pretty astutely puts a finger on what's bugging me about this one. An entire book that's going "tee-hee, can't actually explain this because it'd spoil another book that's coming out later" has a lot of potential to get really grating really quick. Just sit on the goddamn story for a year if you can't tell it yet, I promise not to be mad!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 26, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but "purposely hiding the stuff that would give away plot arcs in Stormlight 5" actually pretty astutely puts a finger on what's bugging me about this one. An entire book that's going "tee-hee, can't actually explain this because it'd spoil another book that's coming out later" has a lot of potential to get really grating really quick. Just sit on the goddamn story for a year if you can't tell it yet, I promise not to be mad!

What's wrong with the teases? Ultimately these books aren't slated to come out until 2023 anyway, which is supposedly when Stormlight 5 is being released. Personally I'm gonna wait to read ANY of what's in these surprise novels until they're fully out so that it's a fresh experience and a full package.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Louisgod posted:

What's wrong with the teases? Ultimately these books aren't slated to come out until 2023 anyway, which is supposedly when Stormlight 5 is being released. Personally I'm gonna wait to read ANY of what's in these surprise novels until they're fully out so that it's a fresh experience and a full package.
I don't think Stormlight 5 comes out in 2023? I thought he wanted all of 2023 to write it. If Secret Book 4 comes out concurrent or after Stormlight 5 it'll bug me way less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I upped my kickstarter from the $160 tier to the $500 tier after hearing about backing the other kickstarter publishers. What a stand-up guy