Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Splicer posted:

The whole theme of the film is David's daddy issues and going after his creators. Killing a bunch of random dudes who just happen to look like the engineers doesn't really mesh with that. Also Prometheus ends with Shaw being all "Let's use this ship to go find the Engineer homeworld" and double also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

When the only Engineer we'd encountered was one in stasis and a disembodied head that left a lot of questions open. There's not a huge amount of engineer stuff lying around; after almost a century of space exploration, including colonising multiple planets, the only Engineer artefacts humanity had found are one we had a map to and one that was screaming "stay away!" into the void. So while there's a bunch of plausible and interesting explanations for this, they all kind of fall apart if the Engineer homeworld (or some other colony full of aliens who just happen to look exactly like the engineers and have a big engineer docking station hovering over their city) is something a colony ship can stumble across ~15 years after humanity first invents decent space travel. There's nothing around because there's nothing to find.

The method in which it's revealed and David describing it as "The Perfect Organism" only makes sense in a (I can't remember the word and that's upsetting me so I'm going to say "narrative" but that's not the word I mean) sense if it's The Xeno. It being just A Xeno is a huge reach and would require everyone involved to utterly suck poo poo at conveying a narrative. It would also, again, make the universe smaller. If Engineers have a rakeload of weird biological weapons made with Goo Science then that's interesting, but if black goo just converges on egg -> face hugger -> black acid guy as the default setting then that's just as bad as the sad android version, but for different reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully in favour of later films and works slowly retconning all of the above out of existence through the kind of creative reinterpretation you're describing, but they would definitely be retcons and each one would make the narrative of Covenant even less coherent. Which is no great loss.

Hard to erase it down to what I'm responding to on phone, but David kills the Engineers just to screw around with stuff. He just likes tinkering, and releasing black goo on the planet allowed him to tinker and create stuff like the spores etc. as a side effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

PeterCat posted:

Does he even have a penis?

I mean, that's not the end all be all, but he may not be able to experience sexual pleasure. Would explain why he's so angry.

He probably doesn't have a penis, and yet David is chill af throughout both movies

He gets angry once, when Billy Crudup wastes the neomorph he was taming

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I forgot how fast things escalated in that scene. They go from throwing a basketball at her to immediately trying to cave her skull in with a weight bar.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Per the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, Bishop canonically has a dong, and some of the novels and comics have “pleasure” synthetics and the like.

As for Ash and David, :shrug: maybe?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The creator that gives an Ash model a dong is crueler than 100 Davids.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You just know the marines that Bishop was stationed with made some sort of weird betting game around getting Bishop to show each other his android junk.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

You just know the marines that Bishop was stationed with made some sort of weird betting game around getting Bishop to show each other his android junk.

The knife game was originally Bishop stabbing either side of his dick and balls at high speed and evolved from there

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

OrthoTrot posted:

And the soundtrack is awful.

I can't even remember the rest of the soundtrack so this could be true of that, but I thought the first half of the main theme was loving fantastic. If an Alien TV show existed, this would be a fitting intro theme.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

OrthoTrot posted:

Currently trying to make it through Resurrection. Jesus, this is even worse than I remember.

It's a really bad combo. Somehow Whedon's dialogue is even worse with this direction. Just so many scenes of everyone shouting at each other. It's pretty bad in his own films but it's completely insufferable here.

And the soundtrack is awful. And gently caress knows what Sigourney Weaver is attempting here. Why have her here if she's not only not playing Ripley but also not playing a character in any way similar to Ripley.

Yea I re watched a couple years ago, having not seen it for at least ten. The dialogue really is atrocious. I think the underwater scene is great though

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
prometheus and covenant have some flaws but they arent unwatchable like resurrection is imo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Resurrection is definitely the worst of them all by far. Massive waste of that director and cast on a Whedon script.

OrthoTrot posted:

And gently caress knows what Sigourney Weaver is attempting here. Why have her here if she's not only not playing Ripley but also not playing a character in any way similar to Ripley.

I doubt she cared much beyond getting the scene where she's embracing the alien as it carries her to the queen part in. IIRC the wasn't even interested in doing another movie but they offered her such a sum of money why refuse it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea I re watched a couple years ago, having not seen it for at least ten. The dialogue really is atrocious. I think the underwater scene is great though
I rewatched it recently and about 20 minutes in I realised I was watching alpha test footage for Firefly.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
The cast makes Firefly look like that scene in Spaceballs where they capture the stunt doubles

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Resurrection is definitely the worst of them all by far. Massive waste of that director and cast on a Whedon script.

I doubt she cared much beyond getting the scene where she's embracing the alien as it carries her to the queen part in. IIRC the wasn't even interested in doing another movie but they offered her such a sum of money why refuse it?

Weaver specifically said she did the movie because she got to do something different with Ripley.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Weaver specifically said she did the movie because she got to do something different with Ripley.

I am glad she got to do her thing then, I just wish the movie didn't suck so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea she really wasn't interested in just doing another movie where a tortured Ripley has to face down the Alien again. The weirdness of Resurrection is like the main reason she even considered doing it, and then they also gave her some say in things and allowed her to use some of her own ideas.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
What she ends up doing is just terrible though. For someone so protective of the character it just seems like such an error.

But in general so many elements of it that *can* work (up to a point) in other contexts just don't here. Like, how much worse Ron Perlman as Jonah is compared to Adam Baldwin as Jayne. Despite the fact that Perlman is actually an actor compared to whatever the gently caress Baldwin is. Whedon's script just falls so flat in these hands.

Like, Whedon's stuff can be watchable. Most of the actors here are good. Jeunet is a good director. And together they made the shittiest loving movie imaginable.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You take that back!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien res is okay. I could watch it. It’s not my favorite.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there anything beyond the surface level "spaceship with a crew where 1 guy is big and mean" when people say its some proto firefly concept?

Like it's not exactly a new idea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CelticPredator posted:

Alien res is okay. I could watch it. It’s not my favorite.

It had some OK set pieces and decent scenes but didn't really hold up as a narrative

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is there anything beyond the surface level "spaceship with a crew where 1 guy is big and mean" when people say its some proto firefly concept?

It's mainly the Whedon style dialogue. If you have Whedon write a sci-fi about a spaceship crew then it's probably gonna feel a lot like Firefly because he only writes the one way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

It had some OK set pieces and decent scenes but didn't really hold up as a narrative

No but I don’t think it’s unwatchable. Idk.
There’s a xenomorph in it and it’s rated R and it doesn’t get owned throughly by a predator so I don’t hate it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I know a lot of women who had their first Queer Awakening from the Ripley/Call dynamic (even more than Janeway/Seven on Star Trek). I don't think this speaks to the artistic merit of the movie at all but at least Sigourney Weaver's performance choices were working for someone.

Shame about Whedon being Whedon.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i'd rather watch alien resurection than the alien vs predator movies but thats not saying much lol.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
and i like alien 3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 kicks rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 kicks rear end

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i'd rather watch alien resurection than the alien vs predator movies but thats not saying much lol.

Maybe not more than AvP1 but yeah if it was a choice I would definitely watch Resurrection over AvP Requiem.

I'm not a big fan of AvP1 either though, that's another one where it felt like a lot of wasted potential in some ways but it's not quite the disaster I remembered it being when I rewatched it more recently.

I mostly just hate that after all the build up and cat and mouse stuff and the humans figuring some stuff out it starts to get awesome...and then ends like 15 minutes after. The cast does a LOT of heavy lifting in that flick too which helps it out a lot.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

banned from Starbucks posted:

They're both scrappy space pirates on lovingly maintained rust bucket ships who don't take no nonsense from anyone. And in both cases the film can't get enough of how morally ambiguous they are.

Which is another area where Resurrection falls down. The Betty crew kidnap humans and sell them for science experiments and never express any remorse in the slightest. When they find Purvis, who they have basically killed in the most horrific manner except he hasn't technically died yet, they just don't seem to care at all. The tone of the whole thing is off, and for all it's faults Firefly threads the needle on that much better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OrthoTrot posted:

They're both scrappy space pirates on lovingly maintained rust bucket ships who don't take no nonsense from anyone. And in both cases the film can't get enough of how morally ambiguous they are.

Which is another area where Resurrection falls down. The Betty crew kidnap humans and sell them for science experiments and never express any remorse in the slightest. When they find Purvis, who they have basically killed in the most horrific manner except he hasn't technically died yet, they just don't seem to care at all. The tone of the whole thing is off, and for all it's faults Firefly threads the needle on that much better.

I'm doing a Buffy/Angel rewatch at the moment but I've never seen Firefly at all. I used to have a friend on another forum who really liked a character on Firefly...I wanna say the name started with a J. He thought this character was a good example of a believable Chaotic Evil type, ya know, like from D&D. Somebody who isn't the Joker, who isn't burning down everything for giggles, but is still nevertheless a selfish bastard. He was compared to the character of Lindsey in Angel based on how they both have a conscience but they're really good at ignoring it.

Kinda random but what you said about moral ambiguity in the show reminded me of it because I think this character was one of the protagonists on Firefly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jayne. Played by gamergate name coiner Adam Baldwin

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
whedon sucks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Weaver is part of the main problem with Resurrection. Whedon sucks, but as seen with some things he's touched, the right director can make his writing bearable. Whedon wrote this huge sprawling comic book movie epic with hundreds of aliens and wall to wall action with the idea of 90s John Woo being the director (he threw a lot of duel wielding guns in; it's super obvious). Weaver put her input in and wanted to have sex with an alien and Jeunet directed and put his input in and it became this Frankensteins monster of a movie that has three distinct visions fighting with each other.

It's kind of fascinating for that reason; you can see the tug of war while watching the movie.

It's also a very interesting thing because the script leaked a year before the movie came out, so anyone who read it way back then before seeing the movie was just like "wtf" when they saw the movie; while everyone else kind of retrofits what they already saw when looking back at the script.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yet, from the actual Alien 4, we can plainly see that Weaver’s vision for the film is vastly more interesting than Jeunet’s fitfully-amusing Lexx-styled European sex farce - let alone Whedon’s nerd dogshit.

Also it’s clear that Weaver’s vision best aligns with what Ridley Scott has been doing since.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
im happy she got her wish to receive a sensual hug from the xenomorph

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is the end of Critters 4 a riff on the end of Alien3?

You have a formerly good character come back as the villain at the end.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

PeterCat posted:

Is the end of Critters 4 a riff on the end of Alien3?

You have a formerly good character come back as the villain at the end.

they came out too close together for it to be anything but coincidence

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they came out too close together for it to be anything but coincidence

Weird. Maybe there was a common influence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

OrthoTrot posted:

Ash and David are cruel and sadistic to humans because they seem to feel humans deserve it, not because they stand to really gain anything themselves.

We do deserve it, though — which is why Ash and David are great characters.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also it’s clear that Weaver’s vision best aligns with what Ridley Scott has been doing since.

In what way?