Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

wtf are points, spending money in the store directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

minusX posted:

Yeah pretty much. Just for like emotes and BS

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

You get points for making any purchase, and then you can use them to get icons, themes, and other cosmetic stuff for your account.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Can't you also get points for doing stuff with trading cards?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Can't you also get points for doing stuff with trading cards?

I think if you trade cards for money and then buy something with that money, you'd get points yeah.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

You are like little babby.

My God :stare:

Tamba posted:

Buying the steam deck should give you more points than you need to buy all of them (unless that's excempt for some reason?)

Yeah, I got a tonne of points, I just didn't have all that many points to begin with.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm going to make a real casual guide on how to use WinSCP to transfer files between your Deck and your PC. I looked over my chat with my friend and setting this up is even easier than I remember it being

1) go to Desktop Mode and bring up the terminal/command prompt. search for "Konsole"

2) type in "passwd" and set a password for your device. the username by default is "deck"

3) type in "ip address" and take note of your deck's local ip address, printed after where it says "inet"

3) now type in "sudo systemctl start sshd"

your deck is now hosting a server with access to its filesystem

4) on your PC, download WinSCP and install it. this is what we're going to use to access the deck

5) in WinSCP, set the file protocol to SCP and put in your ip address. leave the port as the default and leave username and password blank

6) now you're ready. connect to your device and put in "deck" for username and the password you set earlier on your deck

loving voila. you can manipulate your deck's files from your PC, including creating folders and dragging/dropping files

BONUS) if you'd like it so your deck automatically hosts a server every time you go to Desktop Mode, go to Konsole and type in "sudo systemctl enable sshd". no more fiddling with the commands when you want to access it with your PC, just go to Desktop and connect with WinSCP

This worked perfectly. Recommended method for transferring all your roms etc.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

what are good SD cards below 100€/$ (preferably below 50 even) for 256 upwards?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

haldolium posted:

what are good SD cards below 100€/$ (preferably below 50 even) for 256 upwards?

I got a SanDisk Ultra 512GB for around €85, looks like amazon have them or the extreme version for €115.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

untzthatshit posted:

This was a ton of info that turned out to be completely accurate. I checked out within five minutes of getting the email, got the shipping notification today and looks like my deck is arriving on Friday. Just in time for the weekend!

I'm in the same boat as you for a 512gb in Minneapolis.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The new Cyberpunk patch added a graphics preset pre-tuned specifically for the Deck, neat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

The new Cyberpunk patch added a graphics preset pre-tuned specifically for the Deck, neat

I’ll assume a 30fps locked? I’d love to see if it does that through the whole game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

repiv posted:

It's bugged and doesn't work. It apparently sets the game to ultra

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kwolok posted:

lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I am shocked.

lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol cdpr

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So, I've installed just under 100 games on my Deck (512 + 1tb) so far with a good mix of smaller indie titles and bigger 30-100 gb games and the "other" use on the main drive has grown to 23 gb. I think people with the 64gb Deck shouldn't run into any problems with it ballooning out of control. So 64gb + 1tb sd should work fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very excited to buy and use my cute little emulation machine that can also run some other video games while I’m on an airplane.

I’d like to buy a dock for my 4K TV with a USB out, though, so I can use it on my TV. Are there any solid options out there?

Also, how does everyone do cloud saving for emulators? Just map a folder in OneDrive?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Also, how does everyone do cloud saving for emulators? Just map a folder in OneDrive?

Yeah I’d love to have a simple clean option for this too.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what the small daily updates to games are? I turned on my deck today and had 49 games update. It wasn't a big deal, they were mostly 1-10mb in size, but a few of them were 100mb.

Are these optimizations to shaders or something? They don't seem to be "real" updates to the games, as in none of them show up with patchnotes or anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Anroid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htjOkII-oZc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone know what the small daily updates to games are? I turned on my deck today and had 49 games update. It wasn't a big deal, they were mostly 1-10mb in size, but a few of them were 100mb.

Are these optimizations to shaders or something? They don't seem to be "real" updates to the games, as in none of them show up with patchnotes or anything.

Shaders and transcoded audio/video for the Windows codecs that Valve can't/won't license from Microsoft.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kwolok posted:

maybe they REALLY optimised it

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

Shaders and transcoded audio/video for the Windows codecs that Valve can't/won't license from Microsoft.

Oh that's really cool. So, is it theoretically possible that some updates might be able to improve performance/optimization in some titles?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yes, see ELDEN RING.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Oh that's really cool. So, is it theoretically possible that some updates might be able to improve performance/optimization in some titles?

Probably not from shader downloads, this is just Steam's automatic crowd-sourcing finding more shaders that it hasn't seen previously (or, alternately and less likely, they're updating the drivers and the old cached shaders are now incompatible).

The only performance benefit of downloading pre-compiled shaders is less stuttering due to runtime shader compilation in bad game engines.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Just got an email saying my Q1 preorder for the 512 was cancelled and they refunded my $5.

Emailed support since I did not initiate the cancel, but WTF man! I have steam guard on my account, and there is no record anywhere of me requesting a refund.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Maguro posted:

Just got an email saying my Q1 preorder for the 512 was cancelled and they refunded my $5.

Emailed support since I did not initiate the cancel, but WTF man! I have steam guard on my account, and there is no record anywhere of me requesting a refund.

You were probably sent the "you have 72 hours to complete your order" email 73 hours ago.

I've heard that support are pretty generous with people who miss their windows, though, so you'll probably be fine.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Welp, looks like I missed the email from monday to buy, gently caress me.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
We were joking when we were telling people to cancel. You weren't supposed to actually do it.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
ya, I guess that some emails are going to peoples spam folders so if you think your time is coming up, just check the steam deck page.

On another note, has anyone tried 7 Days to Die on the deck? I'm betting it runs pretty poorly, considering even on good systems the performance is pretty bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Danith posted:

ya, I guess that some emails are going to peoples spam folders so if you think your time is coming up, just check the steam deck page.

On another note, has anyone tried 7 Days to Die on the deck? I'm betting it runs pretty poorly, considering even on good systems the performance is pretty bad.

It runs ok on my Aya Neo so you should get a locked 30 no problem.

I have an issue though where the cursor doesn’t show up but that’s a windows issue and other apps have the same problem.

My only issue with 7d2d is that there aren’t cloud saves because the files are too large.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

got mine today after the predicted 5 workdays waiting time, amazing piece of hardware really. Feels a lot different as I imagined, in a positive way. Tested only a few games so far, looking forward to find some more time to tinker with it and install emus

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maguro posted:

Welp, looks like I missed the email from monday to buy, gently caress me.

RIP

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They send those emails exclusively on Mondays, right? So that's when I have to check my inbox and spam folders once July rolls around?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

They send those emails exclusively on Mondays, right? So that's when I have to check my inbox and spam folders once July rolls around?

That has been the trend yeah.

Not saying its going to stay that way but they've been very consistent with it so far.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Got mine but no haptic feedback on the left touch pad, though it works and the haptic feedback on the right touchpad is hosed up, feels like the vibration device isn't attached properly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does Valve do to keep malicious actors from poisoning the shared shader cache? Anything?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What does Valve do to keep malicious actors from poisoning the shared shader cache? Anything?

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
How would poisoning it work, and what kind of consequences would there be? Like would it just stop games from booting due to corrupt shaders, or would it be as bad as remote file execution?