Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (March 30-April 1, 1936)

del is doing his best Percy Crosby for a lot of the baseball strips and I think it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 04, 1950)

I wish for two things:
  1. Rufus Regan is always referred to as 'Rufus Regan'
  2. Rufus Regan never speaks

~Coxy posted:

Nancy 1947
3/25

:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

ukonvasara posted:

man, this poo poo sucks.
:agreed:

Mary Worth

This though, is art.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This though, is art.

it's like

a small hill

you can see them with your naked eyes lady

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
someone edit sauron's I see you into that mary worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHYqxNexGY

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I notice across the New Trail stories that aside from the first(arguably the only decent one) that Jules is really bad at setting stakes or even defining villains. In the first story Marks Dad let his greed drive him to betray his friend. Since then everybody seems to be only vaguely antagonistic in a really strained sense or because we're supposed to reflexively hate people that do things that Jules hates. "NFTs bad." They are but now I'm not really against the two guys who befriended a lonely old man in place of his estranged son and went into business with him. "No see they're con artists the narration box said so." Aside from beating the horse to death here god drat is that an ugly 4th panel.

So in the 2nd storyline Cricket Bro hates Mark(I guess he's forgotten that since the 3rd storyline and in this one) and he's exploitive of his workers(dick standards but all clearly written in advance via contract I think) but nothing actually illegal is going on and then the finale sucked and was confusing and poorly done. In the 3rd storyline Colonel Sanders is at the center of a rock mussels scandal or something, except he did everything required of him to clean his ships. He sends a punchman(instead of a hitman) to punch Mark and steal his article/evidence, it gets published, Colonel Sanders keeps presumably complying with environmental regulations. Then Mark and his boater pals try to blockade the river and get arrested. The end, no moral.

I guess the side stories about the country club and I LOVE KILLING BEES man had clear antagonists and that's probably why they read better. But drat, it cracks me up to wonder what unique ways the story will stumble this time, especially after that loving Comics Journal article.

quote:

Mary Worth

:laffo:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Quote Isn't Edit, whoops

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Okay so when you bring out the binoculars

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Funny Online Hounds of Love

I like this

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Yessssss my favorite strip is coming up

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Also random but I remember when the Lawrence story first ran because we used to drive through Topeka KS to see my grandparents and see the members of the Westboro Baptist church holding up signs about the Topeka newspaper continuing to run Foob even though it had a gay character. It was my first exposure to homophobic slurs (I was quite young).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Doomykins posted:

I notice across the New Trail stories that aside from the first(arguably the only decent one) that Jules is really bad at setting stakes or even defining villains. In the first story Marks Dad let his greed drive him to betray his friend. Since then everybody seems to be only vaguely antagonistic in a really strained sense or because we're supposed to reflexively hate people that do things that Jules hates. "NFTs bad." They are but now I'm not really against the two guys who befriended a lonely old man in place of his estranged son and went into business with him. "No see they're con artists the narration box said so." Aside from beating the horse to death here god drat is that an ugly 4th panel.

People who sell NFTs are, in fact, con artists.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Come on, this isn't fair. They could also be marks trying to escape the pyramid scheme they're now in or just really goddamn stupid.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Gabriel and company are about to discover they made a very, very, VERY big mistake. :black101:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Are Jeremy's legs always that short?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

He's no Chad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EBB posted:

He's no Chad

lol

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Well that's not so great. Thankfully it will be over soon and won't get more offensive than this.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Teens with their long t-shirts and sagging pants/shorts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

oh my god look at that lil guy in panel 1

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Agreed. Maybe the next strip will have the Bros conspiring with each other to really stick it to the Trails as things just feel weird and confusing at the moment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shugojin posted:

oh my god look at that lil guy in panel 1

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

It is still going to this day and will still be going when everyone on this forum is dead.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*months later*

"Okay so in 75 years Kit's grandson will die and the legacy of-"

"No he'll be perfectly fine! But in order to understand, Phantom, we have to talk about his college roommate's cousin, who..."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I hope next strip Mozz starts to go into another extended story and Phantom just goes "JSUT GET TO THE POINT"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mozz spends so long telling him about the future that the moment is lost. Savarna dies in prison.

No moral.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

How soon after this did Falk quit drawing?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

manero posted:

This one's pretty good!

Potsticker posted:

this made me laugh so drat hard.

Thank you kindly, it's very nice to heard back.
I was tossing up removing the first panel but didn't have time to workshop it. But I guess it wasn't necessary!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

How soon after this did Falk quit drawing?

If the Mandrake wiki is any help, this story originally ran in 2004-2005, when Falk had been dead for five years. It was written and drawn by his assistant Fred Fredericks, who was a sprightly whippersnapper of 75 at the time.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Well that's not so great. Thankfully it will be over soon and won't get more offensive than this.

Into Ilves is going to kill Chico Marx!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
One more Uramachi Sakaba side story while I build up my backlog of the new comic. This is Rootless Market, and like Dozeu Bookstore it's short, was written before Uramachi Sakaba started, and is part of the same vague "postwar Japan but in the future" shared world.

Night Visitors

Ichigo daifuku is a soft rice cake with sweet bean paste and a strawberry inside, and is extremely awesome.

Monya the Grey

manero
Jan 30, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Thank you kindly, it's very nice to heard back.
I was tossing up removing the first panel but didn't have time to workshop it. But I guess it wasn't necessary!

It feels lame to only mostly respond to responses to stuff I post, but I've had like zero mental overhead for extracurricular posting lately with a new job starting.

I do read everything, I swear!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Esplanade posted:

Gahan Wilson

This punchline caught me off guard and got a good gut-laugh out of me.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

Im all for more fashion skulls.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mercury Hat posted:

This punchline caught me off guard and got a good gut-laugh out of me.

I really like Gahan Wilson, I think he got posted in here for a little bit a few years ago. Sometimes it feels delightfully like Charles Addams.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 4-5, 1991)

Nate's right, that poo poo has exactly zero trading value.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 11, 1953)

And then Snoopy died.

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 11-17, 1990)

There are a few of these kind of C&H strips and they're all great.

Extra Large Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

If you're wondering why Ten is acting so weird, remember that he had a whole existential crisis revolving around this moment:

D^:P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Powered Descent posted:

Here, this should do the trick: https://pastebin.com/HWem5pHn If the present day gets out of sync with where you're at (due to skipping past a strip with a busted image file, or missing a day of posting, or whatever the case may be), just change the "8012 days ago" bit in the three lines at the top up or down as needed.

hey thanks!! i was just about to sit down to figure this out lol