Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is the final puzzle in 999 different on modern platforms by nature of, you know, using the two screens of the DS originally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Nyoro posted:

Is the final puzzle in 999 different on modern platforms by nature of, you know, using the two screens of the DS originally?

Yeah, I do not like the revised version. It becomes sort of a block swap puzzle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wait, seriously? I never finished replaying it in the Nonary games rerelease. Anyone have a video link?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cyouni posted:

Yeah, I do not like the revised version. It becomes sort of a block swap puzzle.
I'll admit, I see the reasoning. In 2022, it's much more laughable that a well-educated child wouldn't know what Sudoku is. It's a dated twist in the same way cell phones just completely destroy so many movie plots. Going for more generic Akane can't do this super-hard puzzle without help isn't great, it still makes her look much less intelligent than the rest of the plot implies she is, but it's... eh. It's understandable.

Edit: I still live for people's first time playing 999, when they realize that Akane having a fainting spell means you're on a dead timeline and this version of her is burning to death. It's the same sort of "gives replays a whole other layer" twist as Raging Loop and Mary Sue Donym's tell that he's lying.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 25, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

I'll admit, I see the reasoning. In 2022, it's much more laughable that a well-educated child wouldn't know what Sudoku is. It's a dated twist in the same way cell phones just completely destroy so many movie plots. Going for more generic Akane can't do this super-hard puzzle without help isn't great, it still makes her look much less intelligent than the rest of the plot implies she is, but it's... eh. It's understandable.

Edit: I still live for people's first time playing 999, when they realize that Akane having a fainting spell means you're on a dead timeline and this version of her is burning to death. It's the same sort of "gives replays a whole other layer" twist as Raging Loop and Mary Sue Donym's tell that he's lying.

Honestly, I think the Sudoku, easy as it was, is still harder actual-difficulty-wise than the new one. The difficulty with the new one is really just figuring out what's going on, and the solution is laughably easy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cyouni posted:

Honestly, I think the Sudoku, easy as it was, is still harder actual-difficulty-wise than the new one. The difficulty with the new one is really just figuring out what's going on, and the solution is laughably easy.

oh what the hell that's barely a puzzle lmao

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

It's the same sort of "gives replays a whole other layer" twist as Raging Loop and Mary Sue Donym's tell that he's lying.

I blew through RL in like a weekend and didn’t replay it, can you remind me what’s going on here

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
probably the reveals of the wolves in each loop

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I forget what exactly it is, but I think he says "um" or something whenever he lies, I think that was his tell.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Any time his voice track says “eto” or he starts a statement with “um” he’s lying.

As for what you get out of the replay in raging loop, it gives you additional text showing what happened at night and in secret meetings, as well as showing various peoples’ thoughts at times to show off who knew or figured things out at various points.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1507375981677670403?s=20&t=JZQh6qDCC6bVAHYN61xx_w

:dafuq:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I forget what exactly it is, but I think he says "um" or something whenever he lies, I think that was his tell.

numerrik posted:

Any time his voice track says “eto” or he starts a statement with “um” he’s lying
That's what I mean, yeah. Also, the second half of the joke is that his name is essentially an anagram for "fake name". He's the best possible interpretation of the "the protagonist knows thing the reader doesn't" mystery story twist.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh no we can't dedicate those precious mysql rows to such frivolous data

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

apparently animators were also on the list of things they were considering removing. you know, animation! that thing that doesn't take a lot of time work or skill to do and therefore shouldn't need to be credited. :v:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

It's actually very funny that this is their main argument. Databases love data! They love soaking it up. It's literally their favorite thing to do in the whole world

I went through a few of the pages, and tbf some of the points make sense. They're trying to combat a data integrity problem wherein people can just label someone "developer" when that's way too general, or they could log someone as a "Produce" per a game's actual credits when that should be standardized to "Producer" or "Production". It's a very Wikipedia Editor-esque problem, with all the insanity and blood wars that entails

But they're going about it in the most hosed way possible by trying to limit it to "major" roles, as if there's some objective list out there somewhere that can be followed. and worst, the guy who is defining what is major apparently has no idea how anything is made, let alone games, because they're thinking about cutting "non-essential" roles like Planning, Development Manager, and... Design? I mean those are probably the top person in a project in most cases!!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

vndb has always been stupid. The moderators are typically nasty in response to any (politely given) criticism. For example, back in like Long Live the Queen was removed back in 2016, while Princess Maker 4 and 5, the Tokimeki Memorial series, and a ton of stat-heavy dating sims are still on it, despite them having a worse gameplay to actual "novel" sections ratio, failing to meet their supposed criteria, and aren't even made by VN devs. (Politely) point this out, then:

vndb mods posted:

If anything, your comments makes me want to radicalize and remove every hybrid from the DB just so that simpletons like you would have to ground to stand on.

I try to avoid the site as much as possible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imdb now seems like a serene land of peace

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

it's important that we thoroughly document every personality trait for the characters of *checks awful anime on the front page* Water Closet, but the people who made raging loop are cut out entirely

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I also started having a go at Hermitage: Strange Case Files and unfortunately one of the things that strike you right out of the gate is how inconsistent the translation is. For example, the game will refer to a particular thing as "Blossom" in the dialogue text for quite a while, but when it gets entered into your logbook it's suddenly called "Bloom". The same goes for a number of other, more spoiler-y objects and terms. Like, come on, having some kind of localization bible with all the names and terms in other languages is localization 101. It's visually pretty stylish, though, and the story in chapter 1 has got some interesting things going for it, so there's that. I just hope the translation improves going forward.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/gootarts/status/1510710233806651393?t=OuKORZ-MKrGK9h7E1ipZ0w&s=19

https://twitter.com/gootarts/status/1510710543740542978?t=OUWgemzfvLzfQuURu7IUTQ&s=19

e: i would cry if I saw this live from in the audience lmao, gently caress

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 3, 2022

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I will never recover from 01:02 of the first half

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I may actually buy that DVD lol. Thankfully playstations can still play them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My memory of the Robotics;Notes anime was that while it was worse than S;G it was still decent enough when all was said and done. Finishing the VN if anything lowered my overall opinion and I left it absolutely disappointed.

The pacing is honestly kind of insane where a good 75% of the VN is spent on the SOL Robotics club nonsense with what feels like only token overtures of the larger real story, and this has the effect of kind of ruining both sides of it. Anything with the club feels undercut when it's set aside for what "really" matters and the actual serious story segments never feel earned because they show up too infrequently that it never feels like a cohesive part of the story. If anything I bet this felt better in the anime because the shorter runtime and more condensed story meant you were probably bouncing back and forth between those two poles more reliably. Further, Kaito being the only POV for actually further said main story is such a bad choice given the type of listless, unmotivated dullard so he never has anything actually interesting to contribute to the conspiracy theorizing or SciAdv lore. This could have easily been remedied if like S;G the entire cast was involved but weirdly having it all pigeon holed into just him makes it so much less fun than it was in the other games.

Then the finale hits and due to all of the weird pacing from before it has to sprint to the finish in a way that isn't going to satisfy anyone. Doesn't even have an epilogue or anything which boy it needed so it really has a "The End, No Moral" vibe of all things which just tonally is awkward as hell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

I may actually buy that DVD lol. Thankfully playstations can still play them.

Where is it available? That looks fantastic haha

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

Where is it available? That looks fantastic haha

The tweet thread talks about how to purchase it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

LordMune posted:

I will never recover from 01:02 of the first half

I will never recover from the tea party

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If they do the future eps and we get live action Erika I will die

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VmJgbWZHk

also 13 Sentinels is out on Switch a week from today

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It actually runs pretty well and the RTS portion got rebalanced (turrets are more limited, individual characters were made more unique with an additional ability or two)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/turnaboutsister/status/1511517627549634565

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Super sold

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
ahahaha that's incredible

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I quite liked We Know The Devil. Is the stuff they made after that similar?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I want to draw mild attention to a game that only recently got an English translation but probably not that many people noticed - 《Rail of Möbius》

It is a time travel mystery game (you are on a luxury underwater train, trapped in a timeloop, people keep dying). It has a male protagonist who is reasonably decent - he is not a complete idiot, loser, or pervert (considering some games this has to be said). It is non-lewd, not even fanservicey in what I've seen. There is no voice acting. The English translation is basic but serviceable. There are mistakes and stilted grammar, but I've never had to really struggle to figure out what was going on.

I am not at this point sure if there are multiple romance options or not because romance is really not the primary point, this is very much a plot-driven story. There appear to be two Main Girls so it's possible. It's also possible that the romantic question is never resolved and you're all happy enough just to get out of this mess alive. I don't know because I haven't completed the game yet and I can't find any guides. I just hit my first 'ending' which is clearly nowhere near the actual ending, not surprising with timeline shenanigans going on.

Scifi-wise, while they drop a few references to theories that you'll doubtless have heard of if you read this kind of thing, it is not obsessed with them or with strictly making sense in a hard scifi way, it's clearly more about the drama.

Anyway you should be able to tell from this whether it's the kind of story you'd find fun or not. For me personally, time travel, murder, and pretty silver-haired girl is really all I needed. It's not terribly expensive, and I'm appreciative of small companies going to the effort of bringing us English translations, so I want them to sell copies.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479500/Rail_of_Mbius/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvgyumq46cc

Which seems to have some escape room mechanics...and also shmup segments made by somewhat well-known developer G.rev, co-developers of Ikaruga, Gradius V, Dariusburst CS, and some of their own games that were much less popular than those.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
It took me a lot longer than I would have liked to get through Umineko since last month was pretty busy but I'm so glad I did, I'm such a mark for anything related to mysteries and I'm mad at myself that I put off reading it for so long because of the length. What a wonderful ride that whole thing was.

I'll have to finish Higurashi some day, but that'll require going back through the earlier ones since I read them in 2015 so it can wait a while.

If anybody is remotely on the fence about it and needs a 40001th recommendation on top of all the others in this thread, please read it, it's an experience very much worth having.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Looks promising. Character design done by the guy who did Raging Loop.

https://twitter.com/noisypixelnews/status/1515074212410576905?s=21&t=GefiW7h5NF__ReZtoNxmhA

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

It shows that it’s the same character designer, and looks good overall.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Korean Raging Loop?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

The tweet thread talks about how to purchase it.

…Is there still a link to this anywhere? My understanding was that dvd orders were open until the 30th but the tweets in question are deleted :doh: