Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Squiggle posted:

Another thing to remember is that "shortages" are not necessarily CUSTOMER DEMAND shortages, but that you have less of a resource than stations are configured to keep on hand. You can adjust those "keep-at-least-this-much" numbers, but I'd have to sign in at home to say exactly where. I think you can set it per station or per design. Caslon, in particular, is pretty much ALWAYS in "demand" because stations maintain a baseline amount and then as soon as something refuels from it it will flip the caslon count to red since there's just barely less than your minimum-on-hand. One of the recent patches did something to affect the automated caslon cache levels to make it less-panicky about what counts as a shortage.

On the other hand I will build a mining station at every single caslon source because it's never bad to have more refueling stations. Even if a single place could supply your whole empire, it's handy to keep those logistics lines short you know?

It does make the default (and auto AI generated) tanker designs partially useless. Those include a mining module. So the intended behaviour there is that tankers can mine their own gas, then transfer that gas to other ships, to basically keep a fleet fully autonomous, rather than just being a big flying storage can of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I find the bottleneck for resource is usually transport. Most of my mining station by mid-game seems to be full at all time. Yet with over 500 freighters servicing 15 colonies many of my planet are low or out of various luxury resource. Not sure what I can do about that? I am not going to manually set stockpile level for each planet depending on how often I estimate it can be supplied for close to 100 different resources, that's insanity.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I've modded the game so there is only one resource, HillDawgs, and now you only need 10 freighters max.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Orange Devil posted:

On the other hand I will build a mining station at every single caslon source because it's never bad to have more refueling stations. Even if a single place could supply your whole empire, it's handy to keep those logistics lines short you know?

It does make the default (and auto AI generated) tanker designs partially useless. Those include a mining module. So the intended behaviour there is that tankers can mine their own gas, then transfer that gas to other ships, to basically keep a fleet fully autonomous, rather than just being a big flying storage can of gas.

The game won't even let you make fuel tankers without the mining module. Which is extra weird because I've never seen the automation AI set the fuel tankers to mining fuel. Even when the system they're in has a caslon planet.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

If somebody comes through and smashes your refueling stations or caslon mines, the tankers can grab fuel directly from any caslon planet and still refuel your poo poo.

You're probably hosed at that point, but...they're trying to avoid a situation where you can't get ANY fuel at all, I assume?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RandomBlue posted:

I've modded the game so there is only one resource, HillDawgs, and now you only need 10 freighters max.

Oh? So few? What are the finances of your own and AI empires like?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bloodly posted:

Oh? So few? What are the finances of your own and AI empires like?

It was a bad joke, I did not do this to myself.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm gonna need them to patch the pathfinding algorithm... (Or give us back the manual order queue! :argh:)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there a way to add multiple designs of the same size to a Fleet template? E.g. say I design a Point Defense Destroyer and a Ion Weapon Destroyer.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Darkrenown posted:

Is there a way to add multiple designs of the same size to a Fleet template? E.g. say I design a Point Defense Destroyer and a Ion Weapon Destroyer.

That would be nice, but not that I’ve seen. Both Dw 1 and 2 make having multiple designs of the same ship type more trouble than I’ve been able to tolerate for long.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

There's a filter on the screen that only shows you your latest designs for each role. You can turn it off. I'm not sure how you/if you can make the AI handle building/upgrading two types though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Caconym posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna need them to patch the pathfinding algorithm... (Or give us back the manual order queue! :argh:)

Oof. The developer replied to my steam bug report saying he thought he'd fixed the crashes I was seeing and I was just about to give it another try to.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The automatic ship designer in DW2 seems to be dumb as balls, at least when hitting the automatic upgrade button. It apparently thinks marine barracks and crew quarters are the same thing, so when manually triggering a design upgrade none of the designs it generates works because it replaced all the crew quarters with marine barracks and the design becomes invalid.

I'd wondered why after making several ship tech discoveries my fleets still didn't have a new design to refit to and this seems to be why.

Game still doesn't autosave at the configured interval, seems like an important thing to fix when the game is still having crashing problems. Just had it crash on me, not looking forward to repeating 30+ minutes.

e: 19 minute interval between Autosave1 and Autosave2 and 35 minute interval between Autosave2 and 3, what the poo poo? I'm configured for 5 minutes, the default.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 24, 2022

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Yeah the AI makes some seriously boneheaded decisions with design. It designed my first colony ship with too many shields, and just enough reactors so that the energy surplus supported a hyperdrive at speed of 7K instead of 200K.

The AI also can't figure out how to keep a fleet together instead of trickling in one by one, and is pretty ridiculous at pathfinding.

Spent a lot of time with DW:U, but am really disappointed in DW2. Hope things improve.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Splicer posted:

There's a filter on the screen that only shows you your latest designs for each role. You can turn it off. I'm not sure how you/if you can make the AI handle building/upgrading two types though.

Yeah, there's only one design per size though so I think it's as the poster above you said and it's not really supported. I could set one in the template and then manually build and add the other type, but it's a bit of a pain to do so. Generalist designs it is then!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

esquilax posted:

Yeah the AI makes some seriously boneheaded decisions with design. It designed my first colony ship with too many shields, and just enough reactors so that the energy surplus supported a hyperdrive at speed of 7K instead of 200K.

The AI also can't figure out how to keep a fleet together instead of trickling in one by one, and is pretty ridiculous at pathfinding.

Spent a lot of time with DW:U, but am really disappointed in DW2. Hope things improve.

Yup, fleets are currently terrible unless you baby sit them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

esquilax posted:

I "solved" the trickle problem by targeting a rendezvous point in the same system as where I really want to go. On anything less than interstellar distances, fleets arrive relatively intact.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There is a right click attack target, prepare to attack that kinda works, but it seems better to jump to a bit away and attack manually.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

My issue where no medium freighters got built resolved itself at last, when 486 medium freighters suddenly got ordered in one fell swoop.
Got a nice cash injection of over 3 million though. :v:

Maybe the issue was the the private sector didn't have enough cash on hand to pay for all the ships it wanted when i unlocked them, and therefore didn't order any?
And then I expanded so fast that the total cost for the number they wanted always increased faster than private cash, until it caught up?
Something similar happened with large freighters, but the sudden massive order was a lot faster, just 30 minutes or something after I unlocked and designed them. Lower total cost because they don't want as many I assume.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

How do you get a justified war declaration in DW2 or at least an opposing empire to declare war on me? I colonized an independent colony in their territory but they still haven't declared war on me.

Also I haven't played DWU in years but am I misremembering that there were more diplomacy options there?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
More diplomatic options unlock over time, though I don't remember DWU's diplomacy well enough to know how they compare. I'm not sure if the trigger is having more agreements with them or researching the per-race diplomacy tech options, or maybe some combination. I don't recall seeing any "please hate me" options though. Once you get big enough, you'll have constant wars declared on you due to the envy modifier that is pretty hard to counter in my experience. I think one of the patch notes may have mentioned toning that down, but I haven't had a chance to play too much recently to see if that's the case.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chglcu posted:

More diplomatic options unlock over time, though I don't remember DWU's diplomacy well enough to know how they compare. I'm not sure if the trigger is having more agreements with them or researching the per-race diplomacy tech options, or maybe some combination. I don't recall seeing any "please hate me" options though. Once you get big enough, you'll have constant wars declared on you due to the envy modifier that is pretty hard to counter in my experience. I think one of the patch notes may have mentioned toning that down, but I haven't had a chance to play too much recently to see if that's the case.

I think all the options are listed from the start, they're just disabled until you research the right tech.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Newest DW2 patch added this:
FLEET AND SHIP COORDINATION IMPROVEMENTS

- added full Prepare and Attack missions for fleets (attack, raid, capture, bombard). This is the default right-click fleet attack mission type and will also be used by automated fleets. Fleets will now automatically refuel (when need fuel) or waypoint (if need to regroup) before undertaking their attack mission. If they do not need refuelling or regrouping then they will attack the target directly. When refuelling or regrouping the fleet will synchronize their final jump to the attack target.

Should make fleet movement more consistent now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The impression I am getting of this game is that I would probably like to play it. However, seeing as I'm not dying to have NEW GAME to play right this instant, I'm probably better of waiting for things to smooth out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Of course when I say "this game" I mean Distant Worlds 2, as I am currently posting in the Distant Worlds 2 Thread.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

yeah i dont think it’s like stellaris “two years to get good” , but once all the major qa stuff is sorted it’ll be great

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah i dont think it’s like stellaris “two years to get good” , but once all the major qa stuff is sorted it’ll be great

The game has the bones to be the best 4x on the market by far. It's just got some major bugs. The dev said they're focusing on crashes and performance first and then fixing everything else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah it's had a very rough start but the improvements they've made in just two weeks are pretty huge.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I feel like it really needs a bunch of UI work too, but it's certainly fun.

Does anyone know what the intended function of the "Top up with ships" button on a fleet is? I thought it would try to fill a fleet up to its template values, but instead of adding the one missing destroyer it has queued up a destroyer and 9 frigates, taking it to 4 times the template's frigate value...

Also I found some ancient ships and bases and I want to harvest them for their sweet, sweet technology: If I scuttle the base do I automatically get some tech from it or is there some special command? It sounds like I am just going to destroy it. Same for ships, do I just order them to retire at a base?

E: Just had first crash. Despite autosave being set to every 5 mins, the latest autosave is from 32 minutes ago :(

E2: Crashed again when saving :( :( :(

E3: Well I tried scuttling my base and there was no message about getting tech for it, so that's probably not the way to do it.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

I feel like it really needs a bunch of UI work too, but it's certainly fun.

Does anyone know what the intended function of the "Top up with ships" button on a fleet is? I thought it would try to fill a fleet up to its template values, but instead of adding the one missing destroyer it has queued up a destroyer and 9 frigates, taking it to 4 times the template's frigate value...

Also I found some ancient ships and bases and I want to harvest them for their sweet, sweet technology: If I scuttle the base do I automatically get some tech from it or is there some special command? It sounds like I am just going to destroy it. Same for ships, do I just order them to retire at a base?

E: Just had first crash. Despite autosave being set to every 5 mins, the latest autosave is from 32 minutes ago :(

E2: Crashed again when saving :( :( :(

E3: Well I tried scuttling my base and there was no message about getting tech for it, so that's probably not the way to do it.

theres a button to retire the ship which i think does it

but you have to repair the ship first to 100% for some reason

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Darkrenown posted:

Sounds like they borrowed some code from Stellaris, haha. I swear half the time I try to reinforce fleets in Stellaris they end up with 100 corvettes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10151&t=381813&sid=8d640673168060c08bd5e7df53b3e6c4

I...I don't fully understand it, but I don't like it. Full planets being worse for you?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Bloodly posted:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10151&t=381813&sid=8d640673168060c08bd5e7df53b3e6c4

I...I don't fully understand it, but I don't like it. Full planets being worse for you?

lmao oof. normal is close enough that its not a huuuuge deal but lol that hard drop off

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This might come as a shocker but DW2 does not run on the Steam Deck currently. Launcher works but the game crashes right after.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bloodly posted:

I think 100% suffers from overcrowding and ofc the corruption that's already modelled. It creates this state where at a certain point, it's better to get those people migrating to new lands - literally moving from the Old Worlds to the New Worlds. I think that makes sense, even if it goes against typical game logic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think 100% suffers from overcrowding and ofc the corruption that's already modelled. It creates this state where at a certain point, it's better to get those people migrating to new lands - literally moving from the Old Worlds to the New Worlds. I think that makes sense, even if it goes against typical game logic.

Sure, but that should be modeled as a diminishing return. There should never be a point where you are actively penalized for growing your planets, which appears to be the current case and a consequence of improperly tuning the diminishing returns on population growth. This is especially true when the player doesn't really have any tools to actually control the population level of a given planet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I dunno, I see that as a great motivation to colonise new worlds to spread your population, and give pressure to constant expansion and war. It’s not the most gamey, but it makes perfect sense for the simulation.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Speaking of planets, can I reduce Corruption besides by researching and building the Planetary admin buildings? Upgrades are not so common and my homeworld's income is down like 50%.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of planets, can I reduce Corruption besides by researching and building the Planetary admin buildings? Upgrades are not so common and my homeworld's income is down like 50%.

You can peg your planet tax rate to 20%, going over that ups corruption. I'm not sure the math on that though, probably end up losing out on revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I dunno, I see that as a great motivation to colonise new worlds to spread your population, and give pressure to constant expansion and war. It’s not the most gamey, but it makes perfect sense for the simulation.
Yeah, I'd again say maybe a UI issue rather than a mechanics issue. It's OK for overpopulation to be objectively worse but for it to be fun gameplay you need some way to prevent or mitigate it and an easy way to know what planets are hitting tipping point. There are ways to mitigate it (colonise low suitability planets to offload the excess) but if there's a "sort planets by whether their income is trending upwards or downwards" button I'm not aware of it.