Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we get it you don't like it but jesus gently caress stop making this thread loving terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeast already showed what kind of consumer they are

But the Apple studio display is excellent.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Have any accessory manufacturers announced any Mac Studio things? Like a USB-C hub that clips to the back somehow or something?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It'll come eventually - but the Studio does have 6 usb-c ports, and an extra 3 per studio display so most outfits are probably ok I'd think.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I have about three open ports now, but I’m always open to the idea of more ports in case, for some reason, I need to plug in an array of new things.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

japtor posted:

I assume they figured out that some people wanted a separate computer and display, and would gladly pay more for the combo.

This is true, but it's also been true for the past decade. Yet they discontinued the TB display and were for a while only selling Minis that either a) only had an i5 option, b) had no dGPU, c) were very out dated, or d) all of the above. For a good chunk of time if you wanted to BYOMonitor, your best option outside of a Mac Pro was a 15" MBP (with Mini specs being closer to a 13"). It's not some code they finally cracked, people were asking for it, they were just being stubborn for whatever reason.

Apple is just back to giving the people what they want a la bringing ports back to the MBP and introducing the Studio and the rumored Mini w/ M1 Pro. Half of the reason I think I'm going to order a Studio is I want to reward this behavior (not really...but really).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, I have about three open ports now, but I’m always open to the idea of more ports in case, for some reason, I need to plug in an array of new things.

From memory - and this might've changed - but hubs that actually give you more USB-C ports and not just crap like USB-A, HDMI and a VGA port or something are pretty uncommon. I think (think) that was meant to change with USB 4 tho.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
If the M1 iMac could do target display mode I would legit get one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

and the Apple Studio 5K Display is the Bose speakers of computer monitors

what's the Bose speakers of Bose speakers, then

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yeast posted:

Yeah I grabbed a couple. They're quite nice. Unfortunately the Mac Studio doesn't arrive for another couple weeks. If you want a 5k display, they're great.

That’s a nice ducking set up right there. A real person of taste.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Splinter posted:

This is true, but it's also been true for the past decade. Yet they discontinued the TB display and were for a while only selling Minis that either a) only had an i5 option, b) had no dGPU, c) were very out dated, or d) all of the above. For a good chunk of time if you wanted to BYOMonitor, your best option outside of a Mac Pro was a 15" MBP (with Mini specs being closer to a 13"). It's not some code they finally cracked, people were asking for it, they were just being stubborn for whatever reason.

Apple is just back to giving the people what they want a la bringing ports back to the MBP and introducing the Studio and the rumored Mini w/ M1 Pro. Half of the reason I think I'm going to order a Studio is I want to reward this behavior (not really...but really).

I get it. And the rumor of 15 inch airs? It’s like Apple listened to the same tech podcasts and said. “Okay! Fine.”

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Larger air just make sense. People want smaller/larger screens on their devices independently of needing high performance/lower performance. It makes sense to have both an air and a pro in 2 sizes to suit both home users and pro users who might want smaller or larger laptops.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Have any accessory manufacturers announced any Mac Studio things? Like a USB-C hub that clips to the back somehow or something?
Well it's the same footprint as the Mac mini so there's kinda already stuff that can sit below or on top, like this one or these super elaborate ones.

Unless you meant something for the Studio Display, in which case I feel like there was a little "backpack" shelf thing announced by someone. Otherwise get the VESA mount and find some USB hub that fits in as a VESA mount bracket, or just repurpose the ones meant for mini PCs.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 26, 2022

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, meant just the normal Mac Studio. I was looking at those ones that get slapped on the bottom, but the size of the air vents at the bottom of the Studio, it’d look like a top heavy cubic snowman with one of the Mac Mini ones.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LODGE NORTH posted:

my electronics has announced their rack kit and is already backordered to hell

https://www.myelectronics.nl/us/mac-studio-empower-station-rack-mount-19-inch.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I hope and pray that the rack mounted power buttons on that are just long levers/rods that press the physical power button on the Mac.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
For what it’s worth, I use a 4k 32” monitor on my Mac, and use a not-2x-scaling size. And it’s fine. I see some artifacting VERY rarely in my workflows when a creative app REALLY wants to draw a 1px line. But it’s significantly rarer than I had though it would be, and is never a problem.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Ok Comboomer posted:

and the Apple Studio 5K Display is the Bose speakers of computer monitors

You’re so hard for that Dell display. It’s convincing me to buy the Apple Studios sooner.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you noticed any of the poor response time/smearing that people reported on the MacBook Pro screen? Have you tried doing anything fast paced on it, like playing a game?

No. The screen on the MBP is absolutely lovely to my eyes. That said, I don’t game on it at all, nothing faster-framed than a hockey broadcast, which looked great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

You’re so hard for that Dell display. It’s convincing me to buy the Apple Studios sooner.

good.

throw your money in the hole, set it on fire

you’re making me so mad :allears:

you know, I get so triggered when adult strangers who aren’t me or people that I care about make hilarious and stupid financial choices that don’t affect me at all

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Finally got to use a Studio Display in person for more than just a handful of minutes. It is indeed the nicest looking monitor -- but only when it's still. 60Hz is most definitely something you "feel" when coming from using 144+ Hz monitors almost exclusively for the past five years. It not having HDR isn't that big of a problem for me, personally, but I'd only want HDR if I worked in video production etc. I don't, so... I just don't care for it. Even when watching something dark like a James Bond movie, it was still a really solid screen.

Something I hadn't thought about was the accessibility to "5K content" is low. As in, a 4K movie running on a 4K monitor has everything running native, but there's no 5K movies or whatever. It's definitely not a noticeable thing anywhere unless you literally sit there and try to look for it, but it was definitely something I hadn't thought about.

I dunno, I did really like it for image editing and seeing the whole process someone would go through on a Studio Display paired with a Mac Studio, but the refresh rate really stuck out. I do hope the rumors of this being the lower-end display with a mid-tier coming soon are true. That or they update this one solely to have "ProMotion" at 120Hz. It really is a nice monitor, but I personally wouldn't get one unless I do a lot of editing with still-content.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I dunno, I did really like it for image editing and seeing the whole process someone would go through on a Studio Display paired with a Mac Studio, but the refresh rate really stuck out. I do hope the rumors of this being the lower-end display with a mid-tier coming soon are true. That or they update this one solely to have "ProMotion" at 120Hz. It really is a nice monitor, but I personally wouldn't get one unless I do a lot of editing with still-content.

nah dogg, have you considered performatively/conspicuously spending $3000 on two of them just to spite a goon?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I need a new screen I’d love to get a studio display but I’m a bit strapped for cash and bought a dell display from that sale someone mentioned a while back. Thanks for the tip on that, goon

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LODGE NORTH posted:

Something I hadn't thought about was the accessibility to "5K content" is low. As in, a 4K movie running on a 4K monitor has everything running native, but there's no 5K movies or whatever. It's definitely not a noticeable thing anywhere unless you literally sit there and try to look for it, but it was definitely something I hadn't thought about.

I’ve always assumed the 5K screens were designed in mind with content creation, as it allows you to have a 4K video displayed at native resolution with a thousand pixels leftover for tools etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

good.

throw your money in the hole, set it on fire

you’re making me so mad :allears:

you know, I get so triggered when adult strangers who aren’t me or people that I care about make hilarious and stupid financial choices that don’t affect me at all

What a weird loving mindset. It’s fine to not care about pixel density. It’s not throwing your money way if you do care though, just different preferences

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

What a weird loving mindset. It’s fine to not care about pixel density. It’s not throwing your money way if you do care though, just different preferences

I think it’s way weirder to go out of your way to make a point about buying two of a product “sooner” in an apparent effort to own somebody that you think is your posting enemy

like, I’ve already said my piece. I think Apple is way too rich and well-equipped and staffed of a company for people to act like it’s unreasonable to expect a properly competitive product from them, or to balk when they want to charge four figures for a Jack-of-some-trades, Master-of-looking-pretty-on-your-desk-and-having-a-niche-resolution monitor when everybody knows that a company with Apple’s resources and expertise could, and probably should, do wildly better.

Also to whomever bought my avatar: lmao, you definitely don’t look like a clownbaby loser who pisses away his money dropping :10bux: getting big mad at a stranger who said your $2000 computer screen was a ripoff

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think it’s way weirder to go out of your way to make a point about buying two of a product “sooner” in an apparent effort to own somebody that you think is your posting enemy

like, I’ve already said my piece. I think Apple is way too rich and well-equipped and staffed of a company for people to act like it’s unreasonable to expect a properly competitive product from them, or to balk when they want to charge four figures for a Jack-of-some-trades, Master-of-looking-pretty-on-your-desk-and-having-a-niche-resolution monitor when everybody knows that a company with Apple’s resources and expertise could, and probably should, do wildly better.

Also to whomever bought my avatar: lmao, you definitely don’t look like a clownbaby loser who pisses away his money dropping :10bux: getting big mad at a stranger who said your $2000 computer screen was a ripoff

It is properly competitive to the only other 5k display on the market. Maybe just stay out of this thread, or at the very least take a few days off and go outside and touch some grass?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

It is properly competitive to the only other 5k display on the market. Maybe just stay out of this thread, or at the very least take a few days off and go outside and touch some grass?

dogg I’ve been posting here for like 13 years, I literally came up with the title that’s currently on this thread, I have pages of thought-out advice with the intent of actually helping people make better + more informed decisions unlike your dipshit weirdo corncob fanboy white noise-posting rear end

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve always assumed the 5K screens were designed in mind with content creation, as it allows you to have a 4K video displayed at native resolution with a thousand pixels leftover for tools etc.

i think this is just something someone made up to justify 5k. you can't fit anything meaningful into the "leftover" pixels if you have full resolution 4k assets displayed:

if you were really concerned about being able to work with full resolution 4k assets in the best possible fidelity you'd want to do it on a 4k monitor anyways, at full size

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

i think this is just something someone made up to justify 5k. you can't fit anything meaningful into the "leftover" pixels if you have full resolution 4k assets displayed:

people who insist that 5K is better for editors because “native 4K” are people who have never opened a NLE in their lives

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Studio Display is so close to being great for me that it’s almost annoying. If I were willing to sacrifice the things that make using a monitor enjoyable and a non-thought, I’d have one. But since Apple only did resolution and build well, it’s just a little too “underpowered” which is ironic considering how overpowered my Mac Studio is.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
They should have waited until they could produce DP 2.0 devices. That would have unlocked 5k @ 120hz.
But then they would have wanted to wait on releasing Mac Studio too.

I'm still of the mind that the M2 versions of these chips will have DP 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 capability.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The justification for 5k is "I want to have a retina display (4 pixels per point) at 1440p equivalent" much like 4k is "I want to have retina at 1080p equivalent." There is almost no market for this size/density of panel because the high end Windows market is for gaming. Gaming still benchmarks itself at 1080p or 1440p while aiming for higher refresh & HDR etc. So we get lots of small high DPI displays (phones, laptops) and larger lower DPI displays (monitors, TVs) for much, much less $$.

My eyes are bad enough that I'm happy with scaling a 4k 32" screen to 1440p equivalent and I don't really notice or care about any distortion. 4k 32"@60Hz is good enough for my Xbox gaming (which itself is regularly scaled down for performance reasons).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m a commercial photographer, and use them to edit images, for which they’re absolutely perfect for.

My 2 and the Mac Studio replace a 5k iMac with a second display.

I personally don’t care about 120hz as my work is literally processing static images. But if you watch movies or game etc, then yeah don’t buy these.

The only things that matter for my work are colour depth, sharpness, and uniformity. The only displays that beat this guy on uniformity are from Eizo, and possibly BenQ, and are more expensive again and cap out at 4K. so eh.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Yeast posted:

I personally don’t care about 120hz as my work is literally processing static images. But if you watch movies or game etc, then yeah don’t buy these.

Almost all movies are 24, 25 or 30fps. The main advantage of 120hz is for gaming and scrolling through content. It feels quite a bit snappier than 60fps.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Right, I’ve got a promotion display on my 16” and iPad.

I can definitely see the difference on the iPad, I guess because I’m both interacting with the page with my fingers- but also because I use it to browse a lot. But yeah- for a lot of people using the Studio display, we’re staring at Adobe apps and static tools, so the benefit isn’t really there.

I guess it would make scrolling through my emails smoother.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the talent deficit posted:

what

look at the diagram! It's visually obvious there's a ton of space left over on 5120x2880 after displaying a 3840x2160 window. Or do the math: 14.7 MP - 8.29 MP = 6.41 MP. That' s a shitload of extra pixels to put other stuff in. More than 3/4 as many pixels as there are in an entire 4K display.

I doubt this actually matters to video editors and I don't think it's why Apple decided 5K was the best choice for 27", but come on anti-5K trolls, get your poo poo together, don't refute yourselves in your own posts

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I wish we were still talking about applications of strong per-thread IPC and the sheer power that’s in a Mac Studio versus taking turns throwing rhetorical pee on each other over a 5K monitor. Mostly I’m just hoping the MacBook Air refresh later this year is as cool and colorful as predicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hasturtium posted:

Mostly I’m just hoping the MacBook Air refresh later this year is as cool and colorful as predicted.

Me too! My Mum is due a new computer and she loved her colourful phone- so I’m hoping she’ll like the new Air.

I’m super curious to see if the notch gets added to every notebook now