Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tracecomplete posted:

Idiocracy lacked the necessary intentional bad faith to be representative of where we've actually ended up.

Being stupid and well-intentioned is different from being stupid and evil.

yea even if you want to believe it was a ~warning~ or whatever and not just Judge's weird libertarian 'everyone but me is stupid' jerking off it's not even accurate still because it assumed the average 'idiot' in power would be a genuine idiot and not a dumb dick who's playing to an uneducated (not stupid) base.

Like, the people who started the Iraq war and that extremely stupid time of violence and blind nationalism weren't idiots, they were incredibly well educated politicians of all stripes who played to the average person's ignorance on issues beyond broad strokes 'yea terrorism is bad right? WELL LET'S STOP IT!!!!' poo poo. We don't have some flag draped genuine moron wanting to flex how tough he was in charge, we had a bunch of people Mike Judge likely thinks are very smart in nice suits say 'hey come on, what, do you LIKE terrorism????'

poo poo like 'our food is dying because we irrigate crops with energy drinks because the energy drink company owns the FDA' is 100% happening not because some dingus in the FDA is going 'duuuur well you said it quenches thirst and them plants sure do look thirsty!!!!' it's just because those companies give a poo poo load of money to ivy league ghouls who can always afford to get food so they genuinely don't give a single poo poo about how safe it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was personally never a big fan. Idiocracy did seem very much 'only education = smart.'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mike Judge's satire is hit or miss for me. For every King of the Hill or Office Space you've got crap like that The Goode Family or Idiocracya

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was the Goode Family that bad? I know it kind of crashed and burned, but I don’t know much about the actual show itself

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I was personally never a big fan. Idiocracy did seem very much 'only education = smart.'

I was in middle school when I first saw Idiocracy and it was on Comdey Central so a lot of the insidious aspects of the movie re: the beginning, just went over my head and I just thought it was a dumb comedy.

Much like how I never mused over the nature of reality and wondered if I was in a simulation when I was watching the Matrix trilogy. Just cool kung fu and dialogue that I understood maybe 40% of when they got real deep into the conversations at times.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Arc Hammer posted:

Mike Judge's satire is hit or miss for me. For every King of the Hill or Office Space you've got crap like that The Goode Family or Idiocracya

King of the Hill is so good yet so weirdly inconsistent sometimes with its satire. You'll have one episode being surprisingly progressive in regards to portrayal of LGBTQ people for a 90's sitcom set in Texas and next week there's a big tirade against the Americans With Disabilities act.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

Was the Goode Family that bad? I know it kind of crashed and burned, but I don’t know much about the actual show itself

One of the kids in Goode Family was, because they were so super left, an adopted kid and the 'gag' is he's a South African and thus white but still has a Bantu name. The whole show was like that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

King of the Hill is so good yet so weirdly inconsistent sometimes with its satire. You'll have one episode being surprisingly progressive in regards to portrayal of LGBTQ people for a 90's sitcom set in Texas and next week there's a big tirade against the Americans With Disabilities act.

You can really really tell, especially in the latter seasons, which episodes were written by Judge and which didn't have his input. Said Judge episodes tend to be the ones with the super half-assed wrap ups as well since at that stage he apparently lost the ability to tell a story amongst all the old man screaming about them lying disableds or whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still find the episode where they drive the smarmy Canadians out of Arlen hilarious. Canadians are smug pricks and we deserved that one.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Sophie from Mars put this out and its pretty good. I loved the parts dunking Caleb Maupin, Jimmy Dore and the Grey Zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyIjBxxpTY

Edit: I will never understand how Vaush became so loving important.
Edit2: Each time Mildred read Caleb Maupin quotes floored laughing; that dude is loving joke.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 26, 2022

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Apparently just via sheer loving persistence. Doesn't seem to matter how many times he gets outed as a creep or a bigot either, just keeps trucking on with his "Anarcho-Bidenist" brainrot.

poo poo like trying to pick a beef with Trueanon should have been the point any person in their right mind would have retired from public internet life.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

side_burned posted:

Sophie from Mars put this out and its pretty good. I loved the parts dunking Caleb Maupin, Jimmy Dore and the Grey Zone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyIjBxxpTY

Edit: I will never understand how Vaush become so loving important.

I just need to re-iterate that the internet is where madmen thrive. Normal people have had deeply normal reactions to the Russian invasion, the guy who put up a Blue Lives Matter sign probably has a Ukrainian flag flying now, just like the guy who put up a Black Lives Matter sign that prompted that other guy to put his up. Only in the trenches of twitter do things not make sense.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This is a weird question but did Ben Norton post LF?
I want to say I am remembering something wrong but that sounds familiar to me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
pretty much, Vaush got where he is just doing nothing but streaming and 'engaging' with everything possible, knowing most other streamer types are just as engagement hungry as he is.

Just keep responding to every single person with any slight platform with 'oh would you like A DEBATE?' and you'll slowly snowball up an audience of people eager to go 'YEA DEBATE HIM COWARD' and tell you you're smart and cool and made leftism cool by not doing anything remotely leftist.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

pretty much, Vaush got where he is just doing nothing but streaming and 'engaging' with everything possible, knowing most other streamer types are just as engagement hungry as he is.

Just keep responding to every single person with any slight platform with 'oh would you like A DEBATE?' and you'll slowly snowball up an audience of people eager to go 'YEA DEBATE HIM COWARD' and tell you you're smart and cool and made leftism cool by not doing anything remotely leftist.

Except Hasan is infinitely richer than Vaush and his entire policy is to avoid debating anyone.

I see some people nowadays say "debate bad" and I think that's the wrong lesson to take away from Vaush since you don't need to debate to gain a lot of followers while having little or no substance.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
EDIT: Never mind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

debate is bad but not specifically because of vaush

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s funny those morons got so big when peter coffin was there first and has gone as insane as Maupin, and earlier. Peter even wrote a book about contrapoints being a cia op like two years before maupin wrote the same book about philosophy tube.

And none of them can punch their own balls so convincingly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I went to look at coffin 's Twitter and they have such tiny engagement lmao, of their most recent 5 tweets the one that gets the most reactions is 20+ for them honking at a pro Russia sign

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

Except Hasan is infinitely richer than Vaush and his entire policy is to avoid debating anyone.

I see some people nowadays say "debate bad" and I think that's the wrong lesson to take away from Vaush since you don't need to debate to gain a lot of followers while having little or no substance.

Hassan got his boost from being friends with a lot of other online lefty sorts and he absolutely does do stupid rear end 'debates' like when he had Hershel Walker's stupid kid on and just kinda boredly went 'uh huh, well that's dumb' while the kid tried to ~trigger the libs~.

Debate bad, debate is a fake 'skill' for dinks who can't actually argue and nobody who seriously tries to engage in it should be respected. This is as a former debate kid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sarah z who we were talking about earlier, has a video on this exact subject, about how debate is pointless

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Any sort of discussion when one or both people are engaging in bad faith is impossible. "Debates" are almost entirely that, with everyone in it to drop a sick burn by any means necessary in order to get that burn to go viral and grow their audience.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i like to "bicker". i dont like "debate". bickering is for fun and has no stakes. the superior form of arguing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lincoln-Douglas is probably the best

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

sexpig by night posted:

yea even if you want to believe it was a ~warning~ or whatever and not just Judge's weird libertarian 'everyone but me is stupid' jerking off it's not even accurate still because it assumed the average 'idiot' in power would be a genuine idiot and not a dumb dick who's playing to an uneducated (not stupid) base.

Like, the people who started the Iraq war and that extremely stupid time of violence and blind nationalism weren't idiots, they were incredibly well educated politicians of all stripes who played to the average person's ignorance on issues beyond broad strokes 'yea terrorism is bad right? WELL LET'S STOP IT!!!!' poo poo. We don't have some flag draped genuine moron wanting to flex how tough he was in charge, we had a bunch of people Mike Judge likely thinks are very smart in nice suits say 'hey come on, what, do you LIKE terrorism????'

To be fair, I feel like you could at least make a cogent argument that the recent republican presidents like Bush and Trump were deliberately chosen because they weren't particularly bright and were thus good figureheads to draw public attention away from the other Republican ghouls that were more actively calling the shots. I think it's an especially pertinent argument to level at the Bush administration as evidence seems to suggest a lot of the shots relating to the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars were being called by the likes of Donald Rumsfeld and co rather than Bush Jr. himself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I went to look at coffin 's Twitter and they have such tiny engagement lmao, of their most recent 5 tweets the one that gets the most reactions is 20+ for them honking at a pro Russia sign
It was funny how they were at that CPIUSA event which was trying to invoke the CPUSA (which a lot of the speakers were explicitly banned from ever joining) rallies at Madison Square Garden in the 50s by having this event at what looked like a Motel 6 lobby where they are played The Internationale and Star Spangled Banner at the same time with the USSR, USA, and one of the Ukrainian Seperatist republic's flags.

Everyone's brain has seemed to have melted, everyone is pissed with the DSA International Committee for taking the stance of "Putin's invasion bad, NATO should be abolished, and there should be deescalation for peace" as if that makes everyone tankies to point out NATO had a big role in this

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Online debates can be a fun little window into how people arrive at the conclusions they make and, if the people actually post some sources for their claims, can be a good entry way into new stuff to read if you're into that. Or it's 2-3 hours of incoherent ramblings as 20 people yell at each other about whatever hot topic issue of the week is. Its fun entertainment and/or background noise, but nothing to take too seriously.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fun hater posted:

i like to "bicker". i dont like "debate". bickering is for fun and has no stakes. the superior form of arguing

:hai:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I too enjoy creating problems on purpose

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its only a problem if you make it one. the rest of us are having fun

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
A couple of weeks ago, I learned about Conversations with Curtis, which is a series of interviews with the cast and crew of Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh, one of the last big FMV games of the '90s. The interviewer, Paul Morgan Stetler, played the lead character Curtis in that game. This is a series that has apparently been going on for about a year now, and his most recent interviews have been with the stars of the original Phantasmagoria along with Jen Taylor, the voice of Cortana in the Halo series.

This is the most bizarrely specific idea for a channel I have ever seen, and my only familiarity with the game is watching (and admittedly loving) Spoony's playthrough of it like a decade ago. Nevertheless, I've actually had a great time having these interviews on in the background while I'm working, and I wanted to share this extremely niche channel with the folks here.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/b1g_damage/status/1469899647095390210

I've been listening to Todd's podcast where he and a colleague of his since that was on my "Well, I've ran out of stuff I usually listen to" list and... from listening to the episodes with songs I do recognize, I haven't had for years the sentiment of listening to a discussion whose conclusions I'll disagree with, but without necessarily having some sort of "Ah, this bizarre conclusion does have a moral or technical quandry I must address!" sentiment. I love it.

Are there any videos about Columbo, on the same vein Allison did for Baywatch Nights or Pushing Up Roses did for Murder She Wrote? For years people have been typing out love letters to it on twitter and I'm sure Gianni Matraganno's career exploded as soon as he figured out that he could also do a pretty good Peter Falk impression.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

surf rock posted:

A couple of weeks ago, I learned about Conversations with Curtis, which is a series of interviews with the cast and crew of Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh, one of the last big FMV games of the '90s. The interviewer, Paul Morgan Stetler, played the lead character Curtis in that game. This is a series that has apparently been going on for about a year now, and his most recent interviews have been with the stars of the original Phantasmagoria along with Jen Taylor, the voice of Cortana in the Halo series.

This is the most bizarrely specific idea for a channel I have ever seen, and my only familiarity with the game is watching (and admittedly loving) Spoony's playthrough of it like a decade ago. Nevertheless, I've actually had a great time having these interviews on in the background while I'm working, and I wanted to share this extremely niche channel with the folks here.

as long as you are down the rabbit hole you might enjoy Ross' playthrough. I believe he mentions that channel too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTuB5Bgc4I0

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

To be fair, I feel like you could at least make a cogent argument that the recent republican presidents like Bush and Trump were deliberately chosen because they weren't particularly bright and were thus good figureheads to draw public attention away from the other Republican ghouls that were more actively calling the shots. I think it's an especially pertinent argument to level at the Bush administration as evidence seems to suggest a lot of the shots relating to the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars were being called by the likes of Donald Rumsfeld and co rather than Bush Jr. himself.

One of the more foolish and harmful fictions out there (because underestimating effective and lovely people makes them more effective and lovely) is the idea that Bush, in particular, wasn't "particularly bright". I've met him. When he isn't doing the affect, it's obvious that he's an educated man with some intellectual curiosity and whose brain works. Little bit stuttery even in person and small groups, so I get where the relatively poor public speaking comes from, but not stupid. And when you put him up against a stiff like Gore or Kerry, that he was smart enough to play to it.

Trump, on the other hand, seems to be--even by internal accounts--a boiled-brain moron.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KingKalamari posted:

Bush was an ivy leaguer who spent most of his adult life in either politics or pretty high power positions like his time in baseball, and Trump at the very least was surrounded by tons of 'smart people' the liberal media eagerly praised for functionally doing exactly this but called them 'the adults in the room' and all.

Nothing that happened in either white house was done without their approval, in fact Rumsfeld famously was upset that Bush and his generals kept weirdly inserting their Christian theocracy poo poo into what he wanted to be just a normal imperial war of extinction and Trump was a famously way too 'hands on' guy (sexual assault jokes aside) that hosed up his more generic evil ghouls' plans.

I mean, I'm not gonna sit here and say Donald J Trump is a SMART man, but his flavor of stupid is, as pointed out, the more maliciously active stupid than the doddering simpleton serving as a face for greater powers.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Trump very famously burned through all his adults in the room, often when he didn't do what they thought was a good idea. Like when Mattis quit cause Trump let Turkey attack the Kurds after we spent like 7 years telling them we wouldn't let that happen. It's why all those people didn't endorse him for a second term.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

Trump very famously burned through all his adults in the room, often when he didn't do what they thought was a good idea. Like when Mattis quit cause Trump let Turkey attack the Kurds after we spent like 7 years telling them we wouldn't let that happen. It's why all those people didn't endorse him for a second term.

I mean, Mattis didn't endorse him because he knew he was a loser and he got on the MSNBC/CNN circuit grift. If you want an example of a genuine dumb guy in power that'd be Mattis, remember that he fuckin was a major point man for getting Elizabeth Holmes' scam blood machine into the military. I don't think he ever gave a poo poo about anyone in the middle east considering his career was 'murder those people and write jackoff poems about how you're a warrior monk'

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, Mattis didn't endorse him because he knew he was a loser and he got on the MSNBC/CNN circuit grift. If you want an example of a genuine dumb guy in power that'd be Mattis, remember that he fuckin was a major point man for getting Elizabeth Holmes' scam blood machine into the military. I don't think he ever gave a poo poo about anyone in the middle east considering his career was 'murder those people and write jackoff poems about how you're a warrior monk'

Regardless of their actual intelligence, Trump burned through every Smart Guy and Adult who got close to him. That's why he did things like drawing up plans for the military to seize voting machines and had Rudy melt in the parking lot of Four Seasons Landscaping. The only dude left in the end was Steven Miller. He really wasn't a steward of empire guided by larger forces, he was a deeply insane and stupid individual who could only be tricked into actions to maintain hegemony until everyone, not just people in Washington, figured it out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

Regardless of their actual intelligence, Trump burned through every Smart Guy and Adult who got close to him. That's why he did things like drawing up plans for the military to seize voting machines and had Rudy melt in the parking lot of Four Seasons Landscaping. The only dude left in the end was Steven Miller. He really wasn't a steward of empire guided by larger forces, he was a deeply insane and stupid individual who could only be tricked into actions to maintain hegemony until everyone, not just people in Washington, figured it out.

I guess what confuses me is the whole 'people figured it out' thing. Like, dude's actual 'policies' were just normal right wing bullshit. That's why he only started losing major insider support around the midterms when things were clearly going against Trump longterm. It wasn't some 'mad king' poo poo where one specific degradation and abuse of the third world was too much for ghouls who spent their whole lives doing that, it was very cold and calculating 'eh, the media loves hiring ~good ones~ from the republicans right now, I can probably write a book off this instead of staying on a sinking ship'. Trying to assign some unique evil or stupidity just plays into fascist rear end great man mythos, Trump wasn't different than Bush in any way other than tone. Hell, in a lot of ways he just expanded Obama's poo poo and went mask off about them like the kids in cages and getting hard over drone strikes and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, Trump’s flaw was just moving too fast and loud on everything.