Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

FakePoet posted:

What are some examples of matches akin to the RVD-Cena match where one guy is just 100% blasted by the crowd the entire time?

I know Cardona's recent run has had some general reactions similar, though I haven't seen any of the actual in-ring stuff yet.

The 10-man tag from Canadian Stampede comes to mind. Man, that crowd loving HATED Steve Austin and he was having the time of his life heeling against Bret that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FakePoet posted:

What are some examples of matches akin to the RVD-Cena match where one guy is just 100% blasted by the crowd the entire time?

I know Cardona's recent run has had some general reactions similar, though I haven't seen any of the actual in-ring stuff yet.

I remember MSG booing the poo poo out of both Lesnar and Goldberg at WM 20 as well as HBK and HHH at WM 20.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

FakePoet posted:

Rock v Hogan at WrestleMania for reasons that are still inexplicable.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cena at MitB 2011

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Roman Reigns for literally years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rey Mysterio at the 2014 Royal Rumble.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

The 10-man tag from Canadian Stampede comes to mind. Man, that crowd loving HATED Steve Austin and he was having the time of his life heeling against Bret that night.

Oh yeah, that reminds me: on the PPV after WM20, they redid Triple H/Michaels/Benoit in Canada, and nobody liked Shawn that night. Like, whenever he moved, he was booed to buggery, and it wasn't even five minutes into the match that the 'you screwed Bret' chants started raining down. There was even a point where Michaels had Benoit in the Sharpshooter, and Christ almighty the heat on Michaels went atomic.

Anyway, Benoit retained.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thanlis posted:

As far as I know, nobody has ever provided any explanation for why Gary Vanderhorne would decide to blackball Pollyanna on his own. It’s possible he was close to Scott Wainwright, but nobody’s ever said that while trying to defend Ospreay.
Yeah, this absolutely screams of Will being vocal about his complaints (because when is he not) and Vanderhorne agreeing to take the heat for the blackballing so that Will could have a buffer of ignorance about the situation if it ever came up.

oldpainless posted:

I remember MSG booing the poo poo out of both Lesnar and Goldberg at WM 20 as well as HBK and HHH at WM 20.
As far as crowds making GBS threads on both the guys in the match, Big Show vs Batista on WWECW. The crowd was chanting "change the channel" and "same old poo poo".

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

sticklefifer posted:

As far as crowds making GBS threads on both the guys in the match, Big Show vs Batista on WWECW. The crowd was chanting "change the channel" and "same old poo poo".

I swear that match also had the "YOU CANT WRESTLE" "I DONT HAVE TO" chant the crowd did with Show.

Could have also been a different Hammerstein show but :shrug:

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

KarloffsSidekick posted:

Marion Fontaine wore Care Bear tights with a big moustache. Was in Hybrid wrestling, was an old school wrestler with a comedy edge.

Thanks, this wasn't who I was looking for, but it led me to Olde Wrestling and finding who I was trying to remember, Big Sue Jackson.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

I think Buh Buh's heat generating ability is hugely overrated in retrospect because at the time Dudley's promos were "lol did you hear what they said" not "WOW WHAT HEAT!" They were poo poo kids in high school laughed at, not got genuinely angry at.

I always put the Dudleys' heat more to the Stud Muffin comma Quintessential than Buh Buh.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Venomous posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me: on the PPV after WM20, they redid Triple H/Michaels/Benoit in Canada, and nobody liked Shawn that night. Like, whenever he moved, he was booed to buggery, and it wasn't even five minutes into the match that the 'you screwed Bret' chants started raining down. There was even a point where Michaels had Benoit in the Sharpshooter, and Christ almighty the heat on Michaels went atomic.

Don't forget that Earl had run in just before the sharpshooter.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lid posted:

Rock v Hogan at WrestleMania for reasons that are still inexplicable.
They both transcended time and space to grasp their moments of greatest heeldom and faceitude, respectively, and presented them to the fortunate fans in Montreal. This process was invisible

I do not think I have seen it since Hogan was revealed as yet another kind of bad man but drat if that match, especially the opening eternal staredown, was not always exhilarating to re-watch

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

widespread posted:

I swear that match also had the "YOU CANT WRESTLE" "I DONT HAVE TO" chant the crowd did with Show.

Could have also been a different Hammerstein show but :shrug:
It was the same match, which also featured Taz on commentary responding to the "CHANGE THE CHANNEL" chants with "Why would you want to change the channel? This is great!" and in no way sounding like a man who was dying inside with Vince McMahon screaming in his ear.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dr. Quarex posted:

They both transcended time and space to grasp their moments of greatest heeldom and faceitude, respectively, and presented them to the fortunate fans in Montreal.

Toronto

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, I seriously thought I remembered them blaming the fact that Montreal always had strange loyalties on commentary. If that even happened at all I imagine it was "Canada" (or I suppose Toronto, obvs)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Quarex posted:

I do not think I have seen it since Hogan was revealed as yet another kind of bad man but drat if that match, especially the opening eternal staredown, was not always exhilarating to re-watch

It does lead to 'what's a great match' discussions. If the crowd's nuclear but it's all just punch and kick, is it?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FakePoet posted:

From someone in the crowd that night – Cody during that Dynamite match against Andrade (with the flaming table ending).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I always put the Dudleys' heat more to the Stud Muffin comma Quintessential than Buh Buh.

That too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How did wrestling manage to be so far behind when it comes to certain things like haircuts? Odds are there would still be at least one mullet in every match in 1995.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How did wrestling manage to be so far behind when it comes to certain things like haircuts? Odds are there would still be at least one mullet in every match in 1995.

Pre internet was less of a monoculture and trends would take a long time to spread from urban centers to the locations where southern wrestling territories existed

also long hair is/was popular among wrestlers because it'll conceal your mouth while you call spots

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, but so many of those mullets were not of the length that would hide their mouths at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Pre internet was less of a monoculture and trends would take a long time to spread from urban centers to the locations where southern wrestling territories existed

also long hair is/was popular among wrestlers because it'll conceal your mouth while you call spots

It adds dramatic flair to selling too since it goes flying all over the place if you just shake your head a little, really adds a lot of visual momentum to basically anything that happens to you if you’re a longhair.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It does lead to 'what's a great match' discussions. If the crowd's nuclear but it's all just punch and kick, is it?

Crowd heat can totally take an okay or even bad match and make it good.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi says yes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Who would be considered the most successful wrestlers of all-time to come out of Ultimo's Dragon System, outside of the Dragon Gate roster? Okada coming out of Toryumon X would have to be #1, I assume.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi says yes.

Taichi vs Ibushi says you don't even really need punch. (Ok, so the crowd can only get so hot right now, but it was still great)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Should goldbergs original streak matches be considered good even though theyre a little less than 5 minutes including entrances and contain maybe three or four spots, but the crowd is white hot?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I imagine having long hair also allowed the dastardly heels to pull hair for illegal advantages in matches. Those villainous curs!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Who would be considered the most successful wrestlers of all-time to come out of Ultimo's Dragon System, outside of the Dragon Gate roster? Okada coming out of Toryumon X would have to be #1, I assume.

Other than Okada? DOUKI and Angelico maybe?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sticklefifer posted:

After Okada it'd be Taiji Ishimori, excluding Dragongate guys, & then I guess SUGI? They were both Toryumon X guys. Considering his long career in DDT it's also worth mentioning Masahiro Takanashi, who apparently failed to graduate from the Ultimo Dragon Gym in the early 2000s. And there's also a couple of Kongo regulars, Hajime Ohara & Tadasuke, who had at least some training with Dragon.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

After Okada it'd be Taiji Ishimori, excluding Dragongate guys, & then I guess SUGI? They were both Toryumon X guys. Considering his long career in DDT it's also worth mentioning Masahiro Takanashi, who apparently failed to graduate from the Ultimo Dragon Gym in the early 2000s. And there's also a couple of Kongo regulars, Hajime Ohara & Tadasuke, who had at least some training with Dragon.

Oh, I'm dumb, I forgot that Ishimori was a NOAH guy. Yeah, forkboy is a way better source than I am.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Should goldbergs original streak matches be considered good even though theyre a little less than 5 minutes including entrances and contain maybe three or four spots, but the crowd is white hot?

Nah. Goldberg didn't need any great or even good matches to be over with the crowd, but that doesn't make the matches actually good. Honestly Goldberg's TV matches were barely even matches, they were functionally more like his version of an in-ring promo. Whereas a Ric Flair would come out, do a dramatic entrance, and spend 5 minutes shouting and firing the crowd up (for him or against him depending on the situation), Goldberg would come out, do a dramatic entrance, and beat up a midcarder for 5 minutes to get the crowd fired up. (The Flair promos probably lasted longer and involved more exertion - I remember one where Flair just randomly started bleeding, like mid-sentence. If Goldberg ever bled in a match, I don't remember it. Not saying he should have, my mind just kinda wandered)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

FakePoet posted:

I remember the Batista/Del Rio feud during the road to Wrestlemania 30 having a pretty lopsided reaction, where the crowd absolutely booed the poo poo out of Batista (the celebrity face) and cheered wildly for the heel in the feud, Alberto Del Rio.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

Sure, it's an amazing angle. I say yes. But one of my favorite wrestlers ever is the Junkyard Dog who had 50 moves, but 47 of them were headbutts so I'm biased a certain way.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

90% of Misawa's moves were elbows and he was still one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, so yes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just saw a clip from a Taker match in 1993 and JR calls his little top rope arm twist "Vintage Undertaker" so what the gently caress?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just saw a clip from a Taker match in 1993 and JR calls his little top rope arm twist "Vintage Undertaker" so what the gently caress?

Did you never tour a funeral home as a kid and watch an undertaker work on a body?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of course, that's how you get rid of the rigor mortis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't know if I would consider Goldberg's streak matches good necessarily, but they have something that other poor workrate but still classic matches don't have. Two competent wrestlers on a random indy show could recreate Rock vs Hogan WM move for move with similar intensity. The crowd obviously wouldn't react anywhere near as big as the WM match since the two random guys don't have the star gravitas and years of fan investment as with Hogan and The Rock. The fans might even boo the match as, stripped of context, the moves themselves were nothing special.

Goldberg however did have a level of explosiveness and physical presence that is hard to replicate. Lots of big strong guys have had winning streaks full of boring squashes that didn't capture fans attention like Goldberg did. If you were at a WCW house show in 1997 and saw some massive, but unknown guy named Goldberg come out and completely destroy some jobber, you would at least be intrigued and want to know more about this guy.