Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jarakchan posted:

Why not make a good show instead? Seems like a waste of a lot of talented people's time to make what looks like a remake of a show pretty terrible in every respect.

rwby is popular enough to get put into BBTAG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Genuinely looking forward to a RWBY that is hopefully actually good, instead of frustratingly bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If there's still any involvement from rooster teeth I wouldn't put much hope in it turning out alright.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Me llamo hector

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
rwby is a fun shonen fight show with an unusual and cool aesthetic and that's enough to make it popular despite a lot of flaws

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lmao if you watch rwby

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Glad streaming services are incentivising people to do the right thing and go back to pirating poo poo.

Did people ever stop?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

Genuinely looking forward to a RWBY that is hopefully actually good, instead of frustratingly bad.

yeah

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m ambivalent on it, since so much of my enjoyment from early RWBY was precisely because of just how corny it was

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Leraika posted:

dubs for baccano and cowboy bebop and if they're on

subs for if they're on

Lad Russo dub goes insane

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If there's still any involvement from rooster teeth I wouldn't put much hope in it turning out alright.

The involvement seems to just be as original creators.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

isnt rwby really popular in japan or something

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

popular enough to be dubbed and have merch/manga/game appearances but it doesn't seem to be huge huge. some of the success in JP is going to be from Western fan imports as well

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Has anyone watched Heike Monogatari? If so - is it true that one basically needs to be familiar with the source material to know what is going on? It looks cool but I've read quite a few comments saying something to that effect

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it assumes a familiarity that is much more reasonable to expect of a Japanese audience since Heike is a pretty foundational work of Japanese lit.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not as if Westerners can't understand the context it's set in; for example here's a few things that I remember standing out:
It's considered familial to refer to people by their name; you refer to men by their position, and to women based on the colour of their clothes or their relation to the position of a man they're in a relationship with.
There tends to be a much broader swath of characters than you find in a lot of modern works, and keeping track of all of them based on the context mentioned above can be exhausting.
Stories told back in that era were considered part of a much larger story, so they often wouldn't have the same beginning-story-ending structure we're familiar with; for example the Tale of Genji stretches over a lot longer of a period of time.
The original story of Genji was recorded in orihon style, which means it was placed on paper that was folded like a the bellow of a concertina - and reading it in a different way from that changes the story somewhat. More importantly, it's also a style that lends itself well to being presented as an oral history, which is how the Tale of the Heike was originally told.
The stories are also understood to be told as being foundational to how Japan is today, so reading the series of stories are meant to explain where the Japanese come from.
And finally, an understanding of the Buddhistic approach to life as being impermanent - and in a sense understanding the concept of mono no aware - can also be key to understanding both the work, but also the length of time that they stretch across as mentioned previously.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 26, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched it without reading the heike first and i enjoyed it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i watched it without reading the heike first and i enjoyed it
It's perfectly fine to enjoy it without having understood all of the context - it can just help in understanding it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Arist posted:

the yakuza 7 dub is fuckin awesome

can't stand it. dub arakawa is awful

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paperhouse posted:

Has anyone watched Heike Monogatari? If so - is it true that one basically needs to be familiar with the source material to know what is going on? It looks cool but I've read quite a few comments saying something to that effect

As other posters have said, you can watch it with no prior exposure or experience with the original source material, but a familiarity will definitely make it easier to keep track of all the characters and their relationships with each other. I'd say if you are interested, don't worry about the small details and just watch it, it's a good show.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ice queen dom

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Srice posted:

As someone who has seen all of one episode of the series I had a good time with it. Enjoy :cheerdoge:

Saagonsa posted:

I was in a similar position when I saw it. It's good, enjoy :cheers:

it was indeed very good :cheersdoge: beginning was a bit slow and confusing but that was more the pacing than the source, and it ended up great. interested in the series as a whole now. Gojo ftw

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking forward to RWBY that's able to fully meet its potential. :)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

man bisque doll was just so drat cute

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm looking forward to RWBY that's able to fully meet its potential. :)

something something Monty Oum's original vision? Not really too much there. RT said he had written 10 seasons worth of stuff but based on the pacing early on, that's like 2 hours worth of story.

Seems like the entire show was an excuse for his trademark 'amazing' fighting animations, something I never quite understood. All I know is he supposedly forced everyone else to work with an outdated version of Poser (I think, or blender) he was comfortable with and after he died they immediately switched to a modern animation development tool.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pentyne posted:

something something Monty Oum's original vision? Not really too much there. RT said he had written 10 seasons worth of stuff but based on the pacing early on, that's like 2 hours worth of story.

Seems like the entire show was an excuse for his trademark 'amazing' fighting animations, something I never quite understood. All I know is he supposedly forced everyone else to work with an outdated version of Poser (I think, or blender) he was comfortable with and after he died they immediately switched to a modern animation development tool.

Eh not quite; as much as I loved Monty's stuff I'm not pining for some what could have been as it was always flawed, even at the start; but more a recognition that while I also like and enjoy Miles and Kerry in RT content and enjoy their produced content; RWBY was basically an indie garage project with Monty given a budget who grabbed his two closest friends to write RWBY for him to fill in the gaps between his fight scenes. Early RWBY should be contextualized as a collaboration between friends at the request of friends with money (Bernie paying Monty back for his help in Red vs Blue) that happened to get up to Red vs Blue level big.

So you have a story written by people who didn't have a lot of credits to their name before then and who as Hbomb notes were given an anime watchathon bootcamp by Monty to prepare them*; plus all the problems of a 3D animation project that has to gradually spool up their content creation pipeline that doesn't really manage to find its legs until its 4th volume/season when they run out of content that was made by Monty and are able to write the action scenes to serve the plot and not the other way around.

The poser thing is true IIRC; which again was fine in the context of a smaller project; but not once RWBY's production team was rapidly scaled up; but this afflicts at most like 3 volumes.

So for me its more about the fact that you have experienced story writers with huge coattails who will take all the things that worked about RWBY and polish it into something legitimately great on its own merits without any caveats that you'd normally give a more indie creation.

*Much like how probably one of the worst ways to learn how to draw is to start of by copying anime/manga before learning proper human anatomy; learning how to world build and write a story by watching anime can't be that much better either although probably not as bad as all stories share overlapping elements, tropes, symbols, etc etc etc Jung etc.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 27, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rwby finally reaches its full potential!

*bar moves up a nearly imperceptible tick*

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm hoping I enjoy watching this version of RWBY like I did watching Xiao Xiao 2

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

rwby finally reaches its full potential!

*bar moves up a nearly imperceptible tick*

Ibram gaunt on suicide watch

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/kamuy_anime/status/1507943748990533632?s=20&t=h9BC2ZuHBMaipA8LuHLdzw

More Kamuy in October

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
the only difference between RWBY and weird randomly high quality MMD Touhou fight videos you find on Youtube is that the latter don't insult your intelligence with bad voice acting or writing or a typically battle manga-y ever-inflating cast of extraneous characters

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think RWBY is neat and will watch the anime

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OnimaruXLR posted:

the only difference between RWBY and weird randomly high quality MMD Touhou fight videos you find on Youtube is that the latter don't insult your intelligence with bad voice acting or writing or a typically battle manga-y ever-inflating cast of extraneous characters

The randomly high quality MMD Touhou fight video thing if its the one I think it is uses Blender. I think its understandable that cool fight scenes have some difficulty providing things like pathos, catharsis, character development, plot, and other things that go into a story. People enjoy stories and an overarching episode series promises more of a story than rewatching the RWBY "Red" trailer over and over; and will take a flawed execution of an attempt to tell a story over a single well executed fight scene that doesn't.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh not quite; as much as I loved Monty's stuff I'm not pining for some what could have been as it was always flawed, even at the start; but more a recognition that while I also like and enjoy Miles and Kerry in RT content and enjoy their produced content; RWBY was basically an indie garage project with Monty given a budget who grabbed his two closest friends to write RWBY for him to fill in the gaps between his fight scenes. Early RWBY should be contextualized as a collaboration between friends at the request of friends with money (Bernie paying Monty back for his help in Red vs Blue) that happened to get up to Red vs Blue level big.

So you have a story written by people who didn't have a lot of credits to their name before then and who as Hbomb notes were given an anime watchathon bootcamp by Monty to prepare them*; plus all the problems of a 3D animation project that has to gradually spool up their content creation pipeline that doesn't really manage to find its legs until its 4th volume/season when they run out of content that was made by Monty and are able to write the action scenes to serve the plot and not the other way around.

The poser thing is true IIRC; which again was fine in the context of a smaller project; but not once RWBY's production team was rapidly scaled up; but this afflicts at most like 3 volumes.

So for me its more about the fact that you have experienced story writers with huge coattails who will take all the things that worked about RWBY and polish it into something legitimately great on its own merits without any caveats that you'd normally give a more indie creation.

*Much like how probably one of the worst ways to learn how to draw is to start of by copying anime/manga before learning proper human anatomy; learning how to world build and write a story by watching anime can't be that much better either although probably not as bad as all stories share overlapping elements, tropes, symbols, etc etc etc Jung etc.

ha ha what a post, mark!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
all i know is rwby jp has phenomenal seiyuu on the main cast and the pv for the anime has shaft's new star animator and the key visuals have some parallel-world weiss dressed up like esdeath. seems improved from what i watched of the og show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
learning to write stories from watching yu yu hakusho is cooler than learning from reading about the hero's journey or whatever dork poo poo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
RWBY has a cool aesthetic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

learning to write stories from watching yu yu hakusho is cooler than learning from reading about the hero's journey or whatever dork poo poo

It's important to have a character that always says everyone's full names, like Kazuma Kuwabara or Tiera Erde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's important to have a character that always says everyone's full names, like Kazuma Kuwabara or Tiera Erde

Tatewake Kuno, The Blue Thunder of Furinkan High!