Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Pittsburgh airport is currently starting a $1.1 billion renovation that's to going to ultimately shrink the airport down, eliminating the seperate landside and airside terminal and getting rid of a bunch of gates.

Similarly on how TWA influenced the design of other airports, US Air kinda hosed the airport over by abandoning it as a hub in 2004 since a lot of the gate capacity was built with that in mind. This renovation is a refactor of the design that should allow for more efficient operations. The renovation was being billed as an "Airport built for travelers, not US Air."

9/11 was also really detrimental to the airport since the airside terminal was supposed to be a just a general mall for the area. After 9/11 you couldn't get back there unless you had a boarding pass, so that killed casual foot traffic to the businesses in the airside terminal. As of 2017, you are allowed past security without a boarding pass again

One kinda cool thing, as of last year the airport is on its own micro-grid powered by solar and natural gas generators fueled by on-site wells. It has compete energency independence from the local energy grid which is only used as a backup. Important thing to take note of for future post apocalyptic stronghold location scouting.

I know I was being snarky about pittsburgh but I actually really like going there. It's a real time capsule and I love how it's built into the surrounding hills. I'll be really sad when they tear down the airside terminal because I get such a hit of 90s nostalgia when I'm in there. Plus the robot repair shop is dope af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah I'm always surprised about how empty PIT is but also that means it's kinda just a pleasant place to be, in a way that airports rarely are

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arson Daily posted:

Milwaukee has a huge amount of gate space that's just sitting around unused to the point where they've removed the jetways.

On the other hand, Milwaukee has the finest airport book store in the world.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

hobbesmaster posted:

If you really want to see an airport hosed over by losing its hub status go to Memphis. It’s so sad these days.

Cincinnati at least was able to close off most of the unused gates so it’s not as abandoned feeling.

Last time I had a layover there I walked out the gate to an empty and dark terminal, went to the bathroom and only a few lights worked... It was weird. Had a very Langoliers feeling to it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't have really fond memories of Pittsburgh myself but I don't have bad memories either so it mustn't have been too terrible.

I remember bad airports. yyz immediately comes to mind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m lucky to usually be going YVR <-> SFO, both of which I find to be fine, sensible, clean airports.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yes, but it has the best soundtrack, so it's fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

slidebite posted:

I don't have really fond memories of Pittsburgh myself but I don't have bad memories either so it mustn't have been too terrible.

Yeah, it’s about 2 minutes too long.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

hobbesmaster posted:

If you really want to see an airport hosed over by losing its hub status go to Memphis. It’s so sad these days.

this was STL last time I flew through there

so we can credit TWA for ruining two airports, first Kansas City and then STL, powerful move from an airline long gone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

PY(Least)F terminal:

That one part of Chicago Midway where you have to walk through a narrow little hallway for an extremely long time and then you get to this little extra-wide spot in the hallway where they wedged in two gates, A4A/A4B

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 25, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Terminal 5 at O’Hare has a similar gate now and it sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I’m lucky to usually be going YVR <-> SFO, both of which I find to be fine, sensible, clean airports.

I quite like yvr too.

Yyc *was* basically a flashback to 1979 but the last time I flew was through the renovated area and it was pretty nice. I'm not sure if that project's done yet or not

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

hobbesmaster posted:

Cincinnati at least was able to close off most of the unused gates so it’s not as abandoned feeling.

The Memphis airport terminal B (I think) was recently updated. As in , just finished construction and opened it up to travelers 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's super nice and way less sad (and langolier-y) than before.

But it was super depressing when northwest got bought by Delta, and then Delta killed the hub after pinky swearing they wouldn't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Internet Savant posted:

and then Delta killed the hub after pinky swearing they wouldn't.

Isn't this just airlinermergers.txt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Savant posted:

The Memphis airport terminal B (I think) was recently updated. As in , just finished construction and opened it up to travelers 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's super nice and way less sad (and langolier-y) than before.

But it was super depressing when northwest got bought by Delta, and then Delta killed the hub after pinky swearing they wouldn't.

Cincinnati, Memphis, Atlanta, Detroit with RDU as a focus city was never going to be sustainable so I’m not sure anyone truly believed Delta there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
There is no hell like CLT.

Despite the new wing of Concourse A, the airport simply wasn't built for having 12% of the population of the southeastern US shoved through it every day. The new construction projects for the ticketing lobby and arrivals area aren't going to fix that. And half the vendors are still closed so eating or drinking is impossible without three hours to wait. This problem was exacerbated this week when one of the food vendors in the atrium caught on drat fire.

At least there's a Centurion Lounge? 🤷

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Beef Of Ages posted:

Despite the new wing of Concourse A, the airport simply wasn't built for having 12% of the population of the southeastern US shoved through it every day. The new construction projects for the ticketing lobby and arrivals area aren't going to fix that. And half the vendors are still closed so eating or drinking is impossible without three hours to wait. This problem was exacerbated this week when one of the food vendors in the atrium caught on drat fire.

My favorite part of Charlotte is that no matter what flight you come in on, and what flight you're leaving on, you WILL be separated by a minimum of literally every single gate on that terminal. Arrived A36? Your connection is either at A1, or (more likely,) its in C terminal.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MrYenko posted:

My favorite part of Charlotte is that no matter what flight you come in on, and what flight you're leaving on, you WILL be separated by a minimum of literally every single gate on that terminal. Arrived A36? Your connection is either at A1, or (more likely,) its in C terminal.

But rocking chairs . . . ?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

JohnCompany posted:

But rocking chairs . . . ?

Which are overrun by thousands of people and constantly catching the tail of the dog sitting next to them.

I've been in 132 different airports around the world and CLT is the only one where I've seen people paying no attention whatsoever to the dog they're dragging on a leash that is actively making GBS threads. Twice.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

That one part of Chicago Midway where you have to walk through a narrow little hallway for an extremely long time and then you get to this little extra-wide spot in the hallway where they wedged in two gates, A4A/A4B

Things were so tight at MDW even after the new terminal was built (which I still can't believe was able to be constructed while the old one was still in use) that ATA begged for/paid for the hallway and A4A/B. It sucked as there was no place to sit and no retail, but we needed as many gates as we could get at the time. I'm sure SWA appreciates the forward thinking that ATA did for them.[/stillbitter]

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Beef Of Ages posted:

You and I have had markedly different experiences at CLT, but I guess the preponderance of my flights through there have been layovers so maybe I’m hitting the right time of day and don’t have to worry about security so it’s not so bad. I usually just hang out in A since there’s no one over there in the section past the Panera.

It is funny to me though how A-C are all new and modern and then you wander down to D and E and it’s just… woof. The regional jet area is probably one of the worst parts of an airport I’ve ever been in.

As far as good airport changes go, I like that they moved security at DCA so that everything is airside now. It gives you a lot more room to roam when waiting, and I’ve always thought that the main hall was gorgeous so getting to spend more time in it is a plus.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

hobbesmaster posted:

Cincinnati, Memphis, Atlanta, Detroit with RDU as a focus city was never going to be sustainable so I’m not sure anyone truly believed Delta there.

I don't think anyone did. The writing was on the wall.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: my bad

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

MrYenko posted:

Lol this happened to me the other week. I was going RDU to PHX on American and had to dash from A to C with literally the beginning of boarding as my connection window. On the way back? C gate right across from my arrival…

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

CLT was fine until they tore out that beautiful ugly carpet in that one terminal.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I don't mind the CLT terminal too much. Yeah you have to transfer concourses a lot but it's compact enough that I've never had more than a 10 minute walk between gates. The only real problem I have with it is that all the resturants seem to close at about 6PM so it's hard to find quick food in the evening because the few open resturants all have huge lines.

CLT ramp however is a clusterfuck. 3 controllers, dozens of airplanes , and no rules, except for the ones which are unwritten.

Has anyone been to the new A/B terminals in LGA yet? I've heard good things which is weird because good things don't belong at LGA.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
AAs insistence that a 35 minute connection is acceptable in CLT is the biggest issue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of my more recent trips to Charlotte.

Land and sit on the taxiway for nearly an hour. Pilot comes on and says we are waiting for a gate. Another 20 minutes pass and he comes on and says “We’ve been told we can use a different gate, so we’re going to head there now.”

10 minutes trundling along. Pull up to the gate, we’re all hooked up, everyone is waiting in anticipation to get off.

Pilot: They’ve told us we’re too long for this gate (it was an A320), so we’re going to have to push back again and move to a different gate.

10 minutes of getting the scenic tour of the airport later. We pull up to the gate. It’s all hooked up.

Pilot: “I really can’t believe this, but there was JUST a ground lightning strike a few miles away and the ground crew can’t come out. So even though we’re here, we aren’t secure to let you off the plane.”

Finally about 10 minutes later the door opened up.

Time in air from Pittsburgh, about 58 minutes. Time on ground at Charlotte after landing before I got off the plane, 1 hour 43 minutes.

Given the time getting to the airport, parking, security, and then the ride from the airport to my destination, I would have been 2/3rds of the way there if I would have just driven.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

CLT deicing was a total cluster the one time I've ever had to do it and I'm sure it was all because the de icing guys never get to actually do it. We got lucky because there was no line but it still took close to an hour to do the whole airplane. They were apologetic and nice as hell though so I don't fault them any.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FunOne posted:

AAs insistence that a 35 minute connection is acceptable in CLT is the biggest issue.

ATL is the only airport you can reliably make ridiculously tight connections at.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

ATL is the only airport you can reliably make ridiculously tight connections at.

The train certainly gave me a very nice impression the one time I was there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The important part is that it goes through the middle of all the concourses so you can never be more than what 5 minutes from the gate or a train?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

bull3964 posted:

Pilot: “I really can’t believe this, but there was JUST a ground lightning strike a few miles away and the ground crew can’t come out. So even though we’re here, we aren’t secure to let you off the plane.”

I was at an exercise at Davis Monthan AFB last year and on one event we got stuck on the ground by a thunderstorm for about an hour and a half. We managed to get engines online before it rolled in, but then lightning started up and we had to send the ground crew back inside. Eventually it blew through and we were able to go do the mission, but on the way back the tower was warning people to avoid a certain section of the runway because a lightning strike had blasted a hole in it.

Amusingly, our pilots do all their communication with the ground crew via hand signals, and it turns out there's no commonly understood hand signal for "there's lightning all around us, get the gently caress back inside" so they were standing around confused for a little while as we were frantically trying to send them away.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KodiakRS posted:

CLT ramp however is a clusterfuck. 3 controllers, dozens of airplanes , and no rules, except for the ones which are unwritten.

EVERY connection in CLT involves a 20-40 elephant walk down the taxiway because there is no rhyme or reason to who takes off/lands first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Beef Of Ages posted:

Which are overrun by thousands of people and constantly catching the tail of the dog sitting next to them.

I've been in 132 different airports around the world and CLT is the only one where I've seen people paying no attention whatsoever to the dog they're dragging on a leash that is actively making GBS threads. Twice.

Why are there dogs in an airport terminal?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

~*eMoTiOnAl SuPpOrT aNiMaLs*~ I bet. Real service animals don't do that kind of thing even if they're insanely stressed out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

~Coxy posted:

Some people travel with their pets and, if nothing else, they're less likely to boil/freeze to death inside the plane. Its been over a decade since I last read the rules but I think the list of animals allowed as carry-on luggage included cats, dogs under a certain weight, and pot-bellied pigs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

One of my more recent trips to Charlotte.

Land and sit on the taxiway for nearly an hour. Pilot comes on and says we are waiting for a gate. Another 20 minutes pass and he comes on and says “We’ve been told we can use a different gate, so we’re going to head there now.”

10 minutes trundling along. Pull up to the gate, we’re all hooked up, everyone is waiting in anticipation to get off.

Pilot: They’ve told us we’re too long for this gate (it was an A320), so we’re going to have to push back again and move to a different gate.

10 minutes of getting the scenic tour of the airport later. We pull up to the gate. It’s all hooked up.

Finally about 10 minutes later the door opened up.

Time in air from Pittsburgh, about 58 minutes. Time on ground at Charlotte after landing before I got off the plane, 1 hour 43 minutes.

Given the time getting to the airport, parking, security, and then the ride from the airport to my destination, I would have been 2/3rds of the way there if I would have just driven.

if only we could build a nationwide high speed rail network.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Charles posted:

yeah we’re the size of japan so it’ll totally work here

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Charles posted:

A high-speed rail network across this country would look like we let Jeffy from Family Circus draw it due to having to route around corporate farmland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I understand the appeal of a high speed train system, I've used them in China and Europe, and they're great. But if you came to me as a tax payer and laid out the enormous effort it would be to get them installed in the US vs. improving our air infrastructure then air wins every time in my mind.

Need more capacity? Add more planes. Need to go somewhere else? Just point the plane there instead. Cargo? No problem. People? No problem.