Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just want to make one last post clarifying we are not blaming you for any of this or expecting anything of you Mayveena. The point was more that this was a hollow gesture from the mods because you don’t have any power to do anything but give 6ers. The fact that you were given marching orders and the language used by the mods about the posting they don’t want pointing towards us asking for better moderation as opposed to the poster continually probed for bad behavior does not instill any faith that things can or will change.

In the past week I’ve been probed twice here for calling him insufferable and a dumbass, both made on the same day, but probed 5 days apart and the mod messaged me specifically referencing my reporting their posts. The same message said their troll posts were just of a typical nature to be expected on SA, despite being probed and warned for that exact behavior on the same topic just days before. It’s not only a lack of effort to make the thread better, it’s inconsistent messaging and targeted me instead because I said that yet another 6 hour probe wouldn’t stop their behavior.

I also had a different mod from another subforum lead targeted harassment and brigading on a goon discord towards me that led me to being harassed via pm, posts, and discord messages, so forgive me if I’m a little short on patience with the continued lovely experience with the site’s moderation.

But to reiterate, Mayveena none of this is your fault or within your power to fix so please don’t think that’s what we meant or expected of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just to be clear on a minor detail, Mayveena can also discuss things with potatocubed, our other TG mod; or with any admin, especially if either of us aren't available or if its an emergency. I happened to be the one to send over the IK intro packet etc. today but selection of IKs and IK relations are a team effort.

We consider the matters of the kingdom: death stuff resolved. It doesn't need to be re-litigated.

Bottom Liner I'd appreciate it if you'd stop claiming to represent a thread consensus opinion. Folks can speak for themselves.

Lastly, your accusation about a mod leading an offsite brigade to harass you on SA is extremely serious. Please take that accusation directly to the admins and/or Jeffrey. I mean it. We have zero tolerance for that sort of thing, and have permabanned mods in the past for it. Whatever receipts you can provide will help. I can't guarantee you results, because of course the details matter, but I can guarantee you that complaints like that are taken seriously, no matter who they come from.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
1st world problems:

Dead reckoning arrived in the mail but the only person I can play it with is someone who has ADHD and I already know there is no way in hell I'll be getting her to sit through it for the 2+ hours it'll take to play lol, RIP that game

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Bottom Liner I'd appreciate it if you'd stop claiming to represent a thread consensus opinion. Folks can speak for themselves.

Hi here I am. Prada has repeatedly acted in bad faith and has long passed three strikes or whatever the requisite amount is. Bottom Liner was speaking for a lot of us because he, unlike you, is regularly here and knows how a lot of us feel, and he did it in a shockingly polite and productive manner, given the repulsive nature of what you are materially defending.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 26, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Pravda is a trash tier poster who I have on ignore, and I wish the ignore system also blocked me from seeing their quoted posts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you can speak for yourself, Dancer, yes. I stand behind that. No single goon ever speaks for a thread. Threads aren't singular entities. I'd say the same to anyone.

The requisite amount for threadbanning isn't three light probations for some trolling, no. You'll be able to tell someone's close to a threadban by the way they've been specifically warned they're about to be threadbanned; by the ban+30 or similar on their rap sheet; and by the way their behavior compares to other places in TG and on SA where people have crossed that line. It's not even that PRADA hasn't crossed that line: that poster is miles away from it. It's frankly baffling and frustrating to have to respond to this demand, again. I think you and Bottom Liner - and anyone else who thinks PRADA has earned a threadban - have wildly miscalibrated senses of what gets you kicked out of places on SA.

Irrespective of any consensus, real or imagined: this isn't a democracy and people in a thread don't get to evict posters by vote, either. SA as a forum could not function that way.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a lone arbitrator here. There are avenues you are welcome to pursue if you feel me, or potatocubed, have been making bad decisions. I invite you to use them.

If you think PRADA SLUT's posts are intolerable, use your ignore list; and if you think I or potato are totally off base, contact an admin or take it to QCS. If you think IKs are useless, well, sorry, we have hundreds on SA and they're part of the structure of forums moderation here, that's not changing. And if you think Bottom Liner's posts are perfect representations of your own opinion, that's fine, but nobody gets to speak on behalf of everyone who has or might post in a thread. Threads aren't clubs and they don't have club presidents.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks, Neville.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm going to do something wild here and actually post about board games in the board games thread.

I've only played one game of it and it wasn't my copy so I can't really dig through the deck to see, but the icon distribution for cards in Dune: Imperium seems weird. My deck went from bad to worse very quickly just because I wasn't drawing any faction icons when I needed them - I don't know if the answer is to just Spacers Guild->Foldspace every chance you get during the first couple of rounds or what, but it just seemed like most of the cards coming up in the market only had the colored shape icons or maybe an Emperor or Fremen icon - actual Spacer Guild and Bene Gesserit cards were vanishingly rare.

Still, I think the worker placement and combat aspects make it have a lot more interesting choices turn-to-turn than a lot of market-row deckbuilders can curse you with from a bad deck. I just wonder if a board space that allowed you to use a worker to shuffle out a few of the market row cards would alleviate things, or what.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm going to do something wild here and actually post about board games in the board games thread.

What the loving poo poo??

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Board gaming. I might bust out Mage Knight for the first time in many, many years tomorrow.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
code:
_|_|_
X|_|_
 | | 

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Radioactive Toy posted:

Board gaming. I might bust out Mage Knight for the first time in many, many years tomorrow.

This reminds me that I now have a second used copy of Mage Wars and I should really actually read the freaking rules and bust them out sometime.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

FirstAidKite posted:

code:
_|_|_
X|O|_
 | | 

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

St0rmD posted:

code:
_|_|_
X|O|_
X| | 

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

It's cats, like your avatar.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

St0rmD posted:

It's cats, like your avatar.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Radioactive Toy posted:

Solo, I assume, since convincing people to play it is impossible?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm going to a 12 hour board game party today. Bringing Cthulhu Wars, Ark Nova, and Boonlake. Greatly looking forward to it, the host is an awesome person. My gaming partner has done a great job with the Cthulhu minis, so I thought I'd show them off and play a fun dicechucker at the same time.

Ark Nova is still pretty in deman as it hasn't totally reached North American yet, therefore many there won't have played it. So I'm sure I'll be teaching it for the nth time. I think I was too hard on Boonlake in my Game Brain podcast discussion of it so I want to play it more and see if I can adjust my thoughts on the game.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 26, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

You know it's funny about Mage Knight. In some ways it reminds me of Tigris in its day. If you haven't heard Tigris fell out of the BGG top 100 finally. Both Mage Knight and Tigris are great games that in 2022 are hard to get to the table because of the teach. And I kind of agree with what's happened with them. In this time there are a LOT of really great games that can be taught more easily than those two. And yes Tigris and MK are also great games but at least for me not significantly better than let's say Brass Birmingham which is a way easier teach. Or Food Chain Magnate. Or many other heavy games.

Even from a solo point of view I'd rather learn Cloudspire (yes it's way more expensive than MK, I realize that) than re-learn MK. Cloudspire has more 'meat' and more possibilities than MK which Days of Wonder has clearly left for dead. Unfortunate in a way, I think had they added some expansions like Cloudspire has perhaps it would be worth playing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

You know it's funny about Mage Knight. In some ways it reminds me of Tigris in its day. If you haven't heard Tigris fell out of the BGG top 100 finally. Both Mage Knight and Tigris are great games that in 2022 are hard to get to the table because of the teach. And I kind of agree with what's happened with them. In this time there are a LOT of really great games that can be taught more easily than those two. And yes Tigris and MK are also great games but at least for me not significantly better than let's say Brass Birmingham which is a way easier teach. Or Food Chain Magnate. Or many other heavy games.

Even from a solo point of view I'd rather learn Cloudspire (yes it's way more expensive than MK, I realize that) than re-learn MK. Cloudspire has more 'meat' and more possibilities than MK which Days of Wonder has clearly left for dead. Unfortunate in a way, I think had they added some expansions like Cloudspire has perhaps it would be worth playing.

I mostly disagree on the difficulty of teaching T&E; there's not too many rules, and external conflicts aren't *that* hard to explain.

But yes, overall Mage Knight is very difficult to get to the table with others, and I don't really mind, I had a great time with it and now haven't had the urge to play it. Sucks about the digital implementation getting canned, though, I would have played a ton of it solo without having to set it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nemesis - This game is such an amazing fit for my group. Taught 2 players who hadn't played before at the table. and it's a 10-15min teach with more complex rules explained as we came across them.

So for the final round, everybody else has made it off the ship or into hibernation, there is literally 1 turn left before the warp drives kick in and the game ends.They have 1 potential turn to play after this, after that the game ends.
https://i.imgur.com/TAubryk.mp4
Right Click -> Sound

Result:

The escape pod that is waiting for them immediately launches after that roll

:allears:

Also had a bet for Easter Bunnies if players complete their objectives successfully, otherwise I keep them
Out of the 4 players - Only 1 player, other than myself, completed their objective. 3 easter bunnies for me (Which I'll give to my Niece and Nephew)

Very very frustrating that the extra player characters are not available as a separate expansion set at retail, as Aftermath & the Medic are KS exclusives, but you can still buy different Intruder expansions.

-------------------------------
Managed to get some other games in:

No Thanks! - Nah yeah.
Draftosaurus - Amazing. Love it. Good quick 10min game.
Quacks of Quilliwilliwingdang - Played 2 rounds with 3 players. 1 as an intro game for another player. Then they had to leave. So played the 2nd round with more advanced rules. I... I think Quedlinburg might become a fan favourite at my table.

Was going to play Wrath of the Lich King, but it ended up too late for a few people, so that's on the cards next time.

Looking like a lot of my players are interested in a War Game during the School Holidays here in Australia new month, so we'll be looking at getting full player games of either TI or Western Empires to the the table

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 26, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shout out to the player who attempted to throw a grenade in my room "For acting suspicious"
Which would have worked, but you can only throw a grenade if there is an Intruder in it - and there was none in there with me.

Immediately tipped their hand halfway through the game that they had me as a kill target lol

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I haven't gotten many board games to the table lately, but I have been playing Heckin Hounds on BGA. The alpha officially launched yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

My friends and I are planning a secluded cabin getaway next month for a weekend of board games and I honestly can't wait. I'll finally be able to get Unfathomable to the table, and possibly a few other recent acquisitions.

The best acquisition I got recently was Anna's Roundtable, a Fire Emeblem Fan Game. I honestly went in on this expecting that it was going to get cease and desisted. It amazingly made it out and now I have an awesome tactical board game :dance:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

silvergoose posted:

Co-op with my wife, but I've never even tried to get it to the table with others. I've never been a solo board gamer for whatever reason.

silvergoose posted:

I mostly disagree on the difficulty of teaching T&E; there's not too many rules, and external conflicts aren't *that* hard to explain.

But yes, overall Mage Knight is very difficult to get to the table with others, and I don't really mind, I had a great time with it and now haven't had the urge to play it. Sucks about the digital implementation getting canned, though, I would have played a ton of it solo without having to set it up.

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Has anybody played both Nemesis and Stationfall who can compare them? I guess Unfathomable also should be in the mix.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Co-op with my wife, but I've never even tried to get it to the table with others. I've never been a solo board gamer for whatever reason.

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

I was completely unaware of that!!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think you can speak for yourself, Dancer, yes. I stand behind that. No single goon ever speaks for a thread. Threads aren't singular entities. I'd say the same to anyone.

The requisite amount for threadbanning isn't three light probations for some trolling, no. You'll be able to tell someone's close to a threadban by the way they've been specifically warned they're about to be threadbanned; by the ban+30 or similar on their rap sheet; and by the way their behavior compares to other places in TG and on SA where people have crossed that line. It's not even that PRADA hasn't crossed that line: that poster is miles away from it. It's frankly baffling and frustrating to have to respond to this demand, again. I think you and Bottom Liner - and anyone else who thinks PRADA has earned a threadban - have wildly miscalibrated senses of what gets you kicked out of places on SA.

Irrespective of any consensus, real or imagined: this isn't a democracy and people in a thread don't get to evict posters by vote, either. SA as a forum could not function that way.

I'll reiterate that I'm not a lone arbitrator here. There are avenues you are welcome to pursue if you feel me, or potatocubed, have been making bad decisions. I invite you to use them.

If you think PRADA SLUT's posts are intolerable, use your ignore list; and if you think I or potato are totally off base, contact an admin or take it to QCS. If you think IKs are useless, well, sorry, we have hundreds on SA and they're part of the structure of forums moderation here, that's not changing. And if you think Bottom Liner's posts are perfect representations of your own opinion, that's fine, but nobody gets to speak on behalf of everyone who has or might post in a thread. Threads aren't clubs and they don't have club presidents.

i wonder if posters itt are acting like this because you probate anyone new that comes in and offhand mentions kdm or frosthaven(????) and causes the thread regulars to immediately poo poo their pants and go full aggro poster?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jarofpiss posted:

i wonder if posters itt are acting like this because you probate anyone new that comes in and offhand mentions kdm or frosthaven(????) and causes the thread regulars to immediately poo poo their pants and go full aggro poster?

lol are you still butthurt that other posters don't like kdm and talisman

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

lol are you still butthurt that other posters don't like kdm and talisman

i will never forgive having 3 days of my posting life stolen for posting about kdm

NOT TROLLING

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

but sincerely this thread seems really insular and aggro when you come in and apparently there are secret landmines that if you mention everyone gets super mad. i just happened to check this thread today because i was in the forum trying to read about mtg (which im newly interested in)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jarofpiss posted:

i will never forgive having 3 days of my posting life stolen for posting about kdm

NOT TROLLING

that is a bit rough, I just assumed that was a 6er. you were one of the most aggro posters in that discussion though, there were plenty of people discussing what they liked about kdm with a side of "shame about the tiddy violence" and you came back swinging pretty hard for some reason??? idk if you thought you were just engaging in casual banter but you did come across as a bit of a dick and that's when people started getting really mad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Frozen Peach posted:

The best acquisition I got recently was Anna's Roundtable, a Fire Emeblem Fan Game. I honestly went in on this expecting that it was going to get cease and desisted. It amazingly made it out and now I have an awesome tactical board game :dance:

Oh wow. I looked it up and it really does just include fire emblem in its name and description and character designs and names are taken whole cloth. How the hell did they get away with selling it? Nintendo's lawyers are super trigger happy so I'm surprised that something so brazen is being sold without getting taken down.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

but sincerely this thread seems really insular and aggro when you come in and apparently there are secret landmines that if you mention everyone gets super mad. i just happened to check this thread today because i was in the forum trying to read about mtg (which im newly interested in)

We're not discussing Kingdom Death Monster in this thread for any reason. You can discuss it on boardgamegeek.com under its entry. You can also discuss it on reddit as it has its own subreddit. KDM is simply off limits.

Frosthaven shouldn't be an issue although some may have issues with the funding vehicle. Isaac went out of their way to be sure not to use racism or sexism and I am happy to hear that, noting I didn't back it.

The thread has become more insular as things like KDM come up which is why I'm saying we aren't discussing it. What I want to see is more tolerance in general and for us to align better with core board game values if I may call them that. Board games are social, most of us would like to have more people to play with, and the more welcoming the community appears to be the more likely that's going to happen.

Magic the Gathering discussion is fine, noting that there's two MTG specific forums for it, one for the card game and one for the digital implementation. If you are looking for specifics, I'd recommend you post there.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mayveena posted:

We're not discussing Kingdom Death Monster in this thread for any reason. You can discuss it on boardgamegeek.com under its entry. You can also discuss it on reddit as it has its own subreddit. KDM is simply off limits.

you realize this isn't actually posted anywhere but my rap sheet, right? and leperflesh told me i'm not allowed to troll about kdm but that it's not off limits to post about?

the holy poopacy posted:

that is a bit rough, I just assumed that was a 6er. you were one of the most aggro posters in that discussion though, there were plenty of people discussing what they liked about kdm with a side of "shame about the tiddy violence" and you came back swinging pretty hard for some reason??? idk if you thought you were just engaging in casual banter but you did come across as a bit of a dick and that's when people started getting really mad.

fair enough, i just came in to post about a dungeon crawl i thought was cool and everyone told me it's full of pervert rape women violence art (it's not) and i'm a gross freak for playing it (i'm not).

i don't care about posting itt and i'll leave, but i'm just making the point that y'all have built this weird aggro insular thread with no stated guidelines other than jumping all over anyone who doesn't already know the unwritten rules. like it's no skin off my back because generally this thread has not been fun to post in, but maybe some self-reflection is in order across the board.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

you realize this isn't actually posted anywhere but my rap sheet, right? and leperflesh told me i'm not allowed to troll about kdm but that it's not off limits to post about?

fair enough, i just came in to post about a dungeon crawl i thought was cool and everyone told me it's full of pervert rape women violence art (it's not) and i'm a gross freak for playing it (i'm not).

i don't care about posting itt and i'll leave, but i'm just making the point that y'all have built this weird aggro insular thread with no stated guidelines other than jumping all over anyone who doesn't already know the unwritten rules. like it's no skin off my back because generally this thread has not been fun to post in, but maybe some self-reflection is in order across the board.

I'm the IK now so I do have some say about what is posted. KDM is so divisive that there's no point in posting about it here. You're not going to get a satisfactory feedback loop here. Post where you can talk with others in a more supportive environment for you.

I will talk with Magnetic North to add that posting about KDM or other titty mini games is not welcome in this thread. There are 999,000 other games we are happy to discuss. I will also ask them to add the pledge manager suggestion to the OP.

Folks, let the person alone. We don't need more criticism of people who like games many of us don't.

I hope I'm doing this right, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when accepting this job.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I'm the IK now so I do have some say about what is posted. KDM is so divisive that there's no point in posting about it here. You're not going to get a satisfactory feedback loop here. Post where you can talk with others in a more supportive environment for you.

I will talk with Magnetic North to add that posting about KDM or other titty mini games is not welcome in this thread. There are 999,000 other games we are happy to discuss. I will also ask them to add the pledge manager suggestion to the OP.

Folks, let the person alone. We don't need more criticism of people who like games many of us don't.

I hope I'm doing this right, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when accepting this job.

to be clear, it's this thread, not the whole tg forum that is like this. like it seems okay to post about sword & sorcery stuff (that has oiled up people in the art), or kickstarter dungeon crawls or rpg stuff in other parts of tg without upsetting everyone. i'm sure there are even some of the same posters in other threads, but for whatever reason i've only gotten dogpiled in this thread.

i'm not trying to make you like kdm or whatever because clearly my interests don't align with the board game thread, but i'm just saying you guys get pretty hostile very quickly and there are some weird boundaries that are drawn itt and nowhere else.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's bullshit, I've seen the same level of response to KDM in other threads, especially the chat thread and the Kickstarter thread.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Tekopo posted:

That's bullshit, I've seen the same level of response to KDM in other threads, especially the chat thread and the Kickstarter thread.

haven't read the chat thread but just saw people mentioning it in the mini thread and i think another thread and folks just moved on. i'm not like trying to catalogue the times people got mad about kdm (i really don't care about the game this much), i play a lot of other dungeon crawl games. i'm just saying i didn't know better and was unprepared for the level of REALLY MAD this thread got about kdm.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

to be clear, it's this thread, not the whole tg forum that is like this. like it seems okay to post about sword & sorcery stuff (that has oiled up people in the art), or kickstarter dungeon crawls or rpg stuff in other parts of tg without upsetting everyone. i'm sure there are even some of the same posters in other threads, but for whatever reason i've only gotten dogpiled in this thread.

i'm not trying to make you like kdm or whatever because clearly my interests don't align with the board game thread, but i'm just saying you guys get pretty hostile very quickly and there are some weird boundaries that are drawn itt and nowhere else.

Part of that is because board games have had an iffy history for marginalized people. Many people in this thread care dearly about Black people and other people of color, about the LGBTQ community, about women. So games that trot out the old memes regarding how marginalized people are shown will generate a strong reaction. Other traditional games such as chess, tabletop games or magic the gathering don't have those histories. I'm not here to change that reaction, especially because I'm a Black woman and support marginalized people. I hope however to move toward more tolerance, less personal criticism and attacks and more education so that folks can understand why many of us think the way we do. We do need to turn down the volume so to speak so that rational voices can be heard. I would like to see us move away from 'my way or the highway' to 'this is why titty mini games (as an example) are disturbing to me'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Saying there's an issue with swords & sorcery is disingenuous. People are talking about Mage Knight on this very page, which is extremely swords & sorcery. For such a dry crunchy game it's very evocative, it does an excellent job of replicating the feeling of conaning across the board alternately saving the day and beating people up for their loot (to the point that my main obstacle getting it to the table isn't the formidable set up or play time, it's that my wife doesn't like to get into that headspace and wants to play something more unambiguously heroic.) It does all this without any sexualized violence and not a whole lot of sexualization in general; there's a sorceress in a skimpy sorceress dress, but it's like maybe a 3/10 on the scale of oversexualized fantasy art.