Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoqjKqt__tI

right off the loving bat, jorp complains about feminists supposedly 'lying' to young women by reciting, as far as i can tell, 3 outright lies of his own:

1. feminists say nothing is more important than your career:
2. feminists say there will ne nothing more important to you in your life than your career
3. feminists say there SHOULDN'T be anything more important in your life than your career

never mind that the first two are the same thing just phrased differently, but i've never heard any feminists argue any of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

right off the loving bat, jorp complains about feminists supposedly 'lying' to young women by reciting, as far as i can tell, 3 outright lies of his own:

2. feminists say there will ne nothing more important to you in your life than your career
3. feminists say there SHOULDN'T be anything more important in your life than your career

never mind that the first two are the same thing just phrased differently, but i've never heard any feminists argue any of this poo poo.

The imaginary feminists of the 70s and 80s said this all the time, to be fair.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
We live in a capitalist hellscape, how is it wrong to prioritize your career when that's the only way to get health care, food, housing and so on? loving jorp you jackass.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Girls are supposed to get financial security by marrying a high-status man and producing white children for him. That’s the natural order. Girls participating in capitalism is communism, because sometimes it lets them have sex on their terms outside of being trapped by a man.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Feminism: "Women shouldn't have to choose between family or a career, or be pressured into having a family if they don't want it."

Weirdos: "Feminists want to murder all men in cold blood and brainwash boys into becoming women and then never gently caress them."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a real win-win scenario

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Because Jorp is, as always, an astonishing shitweasel, he deliberately misstates this important step in women gaining the ability to choose their career as "nothing is more important than career". It was a common mockery of feminism in the 80s, and it really shows what level Jorp's brain is operating at. i.e. lazy misogynist from 40 years ago.

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 22, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I've been watching this show on HBO called "Our Flag Means Death". Pretty good pirate comedy.

There is a character named Izzy Hands played by Con O'Neill and my brain refuses to accept he is anyone besides Jordan Peterson because he talks and vaguely looks like him and for me this is hilarious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You should watch Chernobyl

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anne Whateley posted:

You should watch Chernobyl

And Happy Valley.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
And apparently The Batman

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1506764626796724228?s=20&t=Ygc0DyU5kbXElo3f03iIIw

Jorp sucks in a lot of way but I think him being a licensed therapist who clearly demonstrates a lack of empathy, or even an academic understanding that it exists, may be the most baffling. Like someone has had to have watched him at work in a supervisory fashion at some point, right? How do they not notice?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1506764626796724228?s=20&t=Ygc0DyU5kbXElo3f03iIIw

Jorp sucks in a lot of way but I think him being a licensed therapist who clearly demonstrates a lack of empathy, or even an academic understanding that it exists, may be the most baffling. Like someone has had to have watched him at work in a supervisory fashion at some point, right? How do they not notice?

If you go way back on youtube and find his earliest recordings it's of him being a totally normal junior lecturer or whatever they are called.

Apparently he kept a lid on the crazy until he got tenure, apparently assisted by handfuls of benzos.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anyone watching The Shrink Next Door?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is he saying that the intrinsic wrongness of slavery can only be perceived through the lens of faith/religion? lmao

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He talks like the kids in his classes that try really hard to impress their peers about how smart they are while being the furthest away from it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Humans are self-evidently gods ∴ slavery is wrong?

What a load of loving piss

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There have got to be more sacred texts that endorse slavery than condemn it, at least if you weight them by number of believers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He's saying that if humans weren't innately aware of some insurmountable alien authority figure that punishes them for eternity if they do Wrong, we'd all be rapists and murderers.

(Implying that that's what he would do if convinced there is no god, and that he refuses to believe that anyone values human life simply because it's, well, human life, ergo everyone who is not a slaving, rapist murderer is either a Christian or a Christian in denial)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is he saying that the intrinsic wrongness of slavery can only be perceived through the lens of faith/religion? lmao

He's probably also saying that anything which does say slavery is wrong is actually religious regardless of what the person saying it claims to believe.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's probably also saying that anything which does say slavery is wrong is actually religious regardless of what the person saying it claims to believe.
yes, his argument is essentially "God is good, if you believe in good then you believe in God" but wrapped in slavery to try to get people to think of it the wrong way around

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I find it hilarious that Jorp's word salad is so incomprehensible that everyone is drawing a different meaning from it, and yet every meaning could be correct (and we'll never know). I also like how "axiomatic" and "self-evident" can mean basically the same thing, and Jorp couldn't find a better way to rephrase his statement to use only one of the two.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's saying that if humans weren't innately aware of some insurmountable alien authority figure that punishes them for eternity if they do Wrong, we'd all be rapists and murderers.

(Implying that that's what he would do if convinced there is no god, and that he refuses to believe that anyone values human life simply because it's, well, human life, ergo everyone who is not a slaving, rapist murderer is either a Christian or a Christian in denial)

The weird thing about this line of thought (Christians = the only moralistic people) is that the Old Testament is literally based around slavery, for economic and social reasons, and its slave-focused portions were so entrenched in the narrative and important to it that the slavers in the US South pointed to it as the moral and legal basis for their owning human beings. If slavery wasn't a natural part of the human order, why were all the Biblical patriarchs slave-holders and/or slaves themselves? Why were all the Hebrews slaves? Why were so many dudes banging slave women? Why did Jehovah promise/order those with Moses that they could take everyone currently in the holy land as a slave when they colonized them? Why would slavery make such an important part of God's lessons to us to just throw that all away?
Slavery is completely supported and promoted in the OT, so why don't Christians see slavery as morally correct? They're utterly obsessed with a heaven-through-hell hierarchy, but why doesn't it apply to humans anymore? They'll say that the world is different and things aren't like that anymore, but if that were true (in terms of cherry picking morality), they wouldn't also immediately return to the OT to find something about killing gays or keeping women controlled and in the worst possible position. Nevermind what that hack Jesus said, Christian morality always reverts to the vengeful deity that coincidentally allows them to harm and belittle others they don't like.

I forgot where I read this, but Biblical Hebrew/Jewish social culture from the BCE period could be compared to and viewed through pre-modern Bedouin culture. Even with the influence of Islam and the pretend edict on slavery being bad (which nobody followed anyway), the nomadic tribal lifestyles were almost identical to what was practiced by all the desert tribes of that period (regardless of religion). The aspects of trade, inter-tribal marriage and warfare, buying and selling of slaves and goods, and the trade routes travelled remained virtually the same throughout the millennia, despite territorial expansion and eventual colonialism. The stories of the early patriarchs in the Bible (until Moses croaks and they start settling down in towns/cities) all share the nomadic tribal culture that influenced how the stories were told and perceived. Even after settling down, many of those nomadic influences remained, as not all of the tribes truly settled down in a fixed location. Slavery remained an important practice, and this is reflected in the Bible, regardless of new or old testament.

So if Jorp's meaning is that only those who embrace Christian morality are the ones with the "real" morals, then he's a dumb loving idiot who should read that drat book.**

**I highly recommend Steve Eblings "Holy Bible - Best God Damned Version," available on Kindle. There's a Kindle Unlimited version of the Books of Moses that's really good.

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Whoa, whoa, whoa, historical context and material conditions? None of that post-modern commie talk for me, thank you

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Imagine being the guy who tells others to be precise in their speech and then putting that loving tweet together.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well, first of all the divine value of the individual is not axiomatic because divinity requires faith.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ghostlight posted:

Well, first of all the divine value of the individual is not axiomatic because divinity requires faith.

but what if the divinity was self-evident? what then, bucko??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To paraphrase Arthur C Clarke; any sufficiently perceived divinity is indistinguishable from matter.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

There have got to be more sacred texts that endorse slavery than condemn it, at least if you weight them by number of believers.

Some of the most enjoyable Atheist Experience clips are when Matt Dillahunty goes scorched earth on callers trying to justify the Bible's clear endorsement of slavery.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I wonder what dollar amount jorp would estimate his own manly body to be worth if say, someone wanted to buy him and his offspring to work on a plantation for life. Asking as a Christian.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

jesus why does he have to talk like that? Is it just so when normal people try to decipher it he can say "that's not what I said" over and over?

It's such a stupid loving statement. It doesn't say anything. It doesn't mean anything. It provides no information and asks nothing of value. You replace "slavery" in the tweet with making GBS threads your pants, and it makes just as much sense.

quote:

Does anything other than axiomatic acceptance of the divine value of the individual make making GBS threads your pants a self-evident wrong?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Weirdly I read it as a defense of slavery because according to him all the tools we use to condemn slavery are based exclusively in ideology and dogma.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Weirdly I read it as a defense of slavery because according to him all the tools we use to condemn slavery are based exclusively in ideology and dogma.

I guess that's why he's a cryptofascist and not a regular fascist yet

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is exactly what he said to Matt Dillahunty in regards to art. He said anyone who creates something secretly or unknowingly believes in God.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Who What Now posted:

This is exactly what he said to Matt Dillahunty in regards to art. He said anyone who creates something secretly or unknowingly believes in God.

Like how anyone who goes outside during the day believes in Ra.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The tense is so passive it's comatose

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Shageletic posted:

The tense is so passive it's comatose
:vince:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s a profoundly dumb tweet, but I don’t think it’s using the passive voice.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It's funny when he posits a question like that because it has been addressed and discussed over and over again. He could read any one of dozens of books on the exact topic of where morality comes from. Anyone who passes a sophomore philosophy class will have surpassed the level of Peterson's discourse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a profoundly dumb tweet, but I don’t think it’s using the passive voice.

Jordan Peterson: "It's a profoundly dumb tweet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the chaos dragon voice