Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
To be fair. the only time Lancer has ever used runes was in UBW where he used them to set a cottage on fire, and in Heaven's Feel where he didn't really last that long despite the fact his Battle Continuation should have kicked in. And in his caster form. And Hakuno never saw him use runes even in the small fight between rani and rin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

cdyoung posted:

To be fair. the only time Lancer has ever used runes was in UBW where he used them to set a cottage on fire, and in Heaven's Feel where he didn't really last that long despite the fact his Battle Continuation should have kicked in. And in his caster form. And Hakuno never saw him use runes even in the small fight between rani and rin.

But at the very least she should be able to look at the explicitly Celtic runes and suspect a servant she knows is Celtic.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

But at the very least she should be able to look at the explicitly Celtic runes and suspect a servant she knows is Celtic.

Ok, and how would she know Lancer is Celtic? He doesn't talk with a Gaelic accent, if anything he talks like everyone else in the vicinity he's summoned. And I'd wager everyone's speaking japanese in the Mooncell. Barring that, unless she's actually studied world mythology, Hakuno would also not know who he is either. Just because we have meta knowledge of who he is, doesn't mean the player character, who's supposed to be a normal japanese highschool student, would.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

cdyoung posted:

Ok, and how would she know Lancer is Celtic? He doesn't talk with a Gaelic accent, if anything he talks like everyone else in the vicinity he's summoned. And I'd wager everyone's speaking japanese in the Mooncell. Barring that, unless she's actually studied world mythology, Hakuno would also not know who he is either. Just because we have meta knowledge of who he is, doesn't mean the player character, who's supposed to be a normal japanese highschool student, would.

Because, by Hakuno's own narration, she knows what Gae Bolg looks like well enough to tie the name to a spear she saw one time back in Week 3. Even if she doesn't know all the nitty gritty details about Cu's legend, that alone should tell her that Rin's Servant hails from Ireland.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Because, by Hakuno's own narration, she knows what Gae Bolg looks like well enough to tie the name to a spear she saw one time back in Week 3. Even if she doesn't know all the nitty gritty details about Cu's legend, that alone should tell her that Rin's Servant hails from Ireland.

She knows what Gae Bolg is because Lancer said it's name during rin and rani's elimination match. It's not hard to correlate "So that lancer is this lancer since they're using the same spear."

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

cdyoung posted:

She knows what Gae Bolg is because Lancer said it's name during rin and rani's elimination match. It's not hard to correlate "So that lancer is this lancer since they're using the same spear."

I just double checked the scenes, and Gae Bolg is never named. Rin orders Cu to use his NP when Rani starts her self-destruct, but it never gets fully invoked before Hakuno breaks in.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

I just double checked the scenes, and Gae Bolg is never named. Rin orders Cu to use his NP when Rani starts her self-destruct, but it never gets fully invoked before Hakuno breaks in.

I'll agree we never see the words GAE BOLGA! said, it is clearly used to destroy Rani's Etheralite heart, since he goes on about using "My trump card" when Lu Bu was distracted by Caster.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BisbyWorl posted:

Except Hakuno doesn't actually ever see the rune itself, just the remnants left in the crater. It's Rani who points out that it was a rune, and when Hakuno hypothesizes that her opponent might be a Caster, it's Rani who steers her towards the idea that it might have been a Celtic warrior using the rune to augment a physical attack.

If anything, Hakuno actually seeing the rune would have made things even more muddled, since Cu and other Celtic warriors taught by Scathach used Primordial Runes, which are Norse in origin, not Celtic. :v:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Honestly, Hakuno might already be trying to keep herself from realizing what she's going to have to do this week, just going off of the Master still being unknown despite Hakuno already knowing who it's going to be. It's not the first time Fate's pulled the don't realize it, don't realize it bit with regards to the character actually trying to do it.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Materant posted:

Honestly, Hakuno might already be trying to keep herself from realizing what she's going to have to do this week, just going off of the Master still being unknown despite Hakuno already knowing who it's going to be. It's not the first time Fate's pulled the don't realize it, don't realize it bit with regards to the character actually trying to do it.

Yeah- the gimmick's still pretty dumb, but that neither Rin nor Hakuno is bringing their A game (and given how dense Hakuno is at the best of times...) at least feels like the intended read to me.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I do agree that being unwillfully ignorant of who the enemy is when the choices are Rin or Generic Master (since Leo and Gawai are clearly not them) is a bit dumb even if Cu's identity is not that easy to guess.

The "subconciously repressing the idea" is a good plot beat when used IMO, FGO does have a running joke with old man Servants betraying the heroes to the point the protagonist suspects them inmediately but still tries to trust them because he wants to, not because he has no suspicions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LIX - Panic sonic roller coaster - VS Lancer

Music: None

And I'm looking forward to getting out of this week!

A fight between friends is a rare bird here. Not often do combatants understand one another so well. I plan to watch your fight with great relish. Now, I'll be waiting on the first floor.

The priest leaves the room after uttering those macabre words. ...It goes without saying that I'll be guarding my life against someone who has guided and helped someone clueless like me. Okay, final preparation time. I'll go to the commissary first, then sort through information in my room.

Music: Down to Dawn

This round, the bulletin board was tampered with to show my name, but not my opponent's. After an escape from the unknown Master, I found residue of their magic in the mark their attack left on the school building. Right, and the source of that magic was...

A rune.

Right. Upon investigating the wall's damage the next day with Rani, we discovered the Servant used a rune. After that, I finally encountered my opponent on the second floor. They wore the guise of an effigy, but inside was a strong warrior. The enemy Servant's class was...

I thought it was Lancer.

Right, the Servant's attack pattern screamed Lancer. Additionally, from the power of the Servant's attacks, I felt they had to be a famous Heroic Spirit. In order to repel the effigy, Rani used a uniquely calibrated Firewall Bypass she had prepared earlier. From its effects, it seemed Rani knew the true name of the Servant, and the identity of the Master. She called the Noble Phantasm...

Spear of Rainbows and Unicorns.

Yeeeeah...no. As much as I wish that was the case, it's just... NOT TRUE! The Noble Phantasm's name, according to Rani, was...

Spear of Lucky Charms gets the same result.

Spear of Barbaric Impalement.

Right. Gae Bolg, Spear of Barbaric Impalement, is a cursed spear that always finds its mark. It belonged to a Celtic Heroic Spirit.

The great hero of Ireland— The Celtic child of light— Cu Chulainn. I had actually seen him once before, fighting as a Servant in the battle between two of my friends. His Master is Rin Tohsaka. Yes, Rin Tohsaka. That girl, who took pity on me time and time again, is now my opponent. But I— I will fight fiercely. The Coliseum doors beckon now.

Level E just nets us his background info.

Character Background posted:

One of the great heroes of Ireland.

First appears as a demigod in Ulster mythology and is said to be the son of Lugh, the God of Light, and Deichtine, the younger sister of Conchobar, King of Ulster. His birth name was Setanta and from an early age it was foretold that he would become a hero of renown.

He was christened Cu Chulainn (which mean Culann's Hound) after accidentally killing the watchdog of a wealthy merchant. He took the name with pride, vowing, "I will devote myself to the rearing of a watchdog worthy of replacing the one I have just slain and until such time as that dog is ready, I will personally watch over and guard your life with my own."

Upon becoming an adult, Cu Chulainn was enrolled into the order known as the Knights of the Red Branch and then sent to the warrior-woman Scathach in the Land of Shadows to train as a warrior, and, according to darker rumors, meet his death. Fortunately, Scathach saw in him a worthy student and disciple and passed on all that she knew of both the martial arts and the more powerful aspects of thaumaturgy. Upon the completion of his training, Cu Chulainn was given the mighty demonic spear Gae Bolg and told to depart from the Land of Shadows.

After returning to be beloved homeland, his triumphs were many...but that is a story for another time.

Alright, time to kill our friend.

Video: Week 6 Elimination Battle

Remember, the only way to leave the Coliseum is to win. If you are ready, I will open the gate.

Enter the Coliseum

The way to the Coliseum is now open, young Master. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will return. Remember: It's kill or be killed.

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

Wonder if she's scared of us? But, considering how much she loves talking to you, something must be really wrong with her right now.

Give Rin the silent treatment.

Sometimes words only make things more painful. Right, Master?

The scene advances here, naturally.

~

Talk to Rin.

In a few hours, one of us won't even exist. What's the point of talking? ...But, if death is inevitable, then why does life matter in the first place... I don't have any better ideas of how to pass the time until we get there. All right, I'll play along. ... What do you want to talk about? The Holy Grail War? The end of the world?

The Holy Grail War.

I wonder if it could be that your entire view of the Holy Grail War is completely wrong...? ...While I agree the conditions are severe, I cannot say that they are unreasonable. Everything has its limits. The land, resources, reputation; even time itself is finite. Everyone has different goals, and the resources to fulfill them are limited, which leads to conflict. To have your wish granted, another's wish must be denied. ...That's the way of the world. The rules found here in the SE.RA.PH are simple compared to those that govern the real world. I mean, in the real world innocent bystanders are frequently victims of the fighting around them. Compared to that, the terms of the Holy Grail War are quite fair. I'd go as far to say moral... The motivations and consequences are made clear, and there are no innocents here.

Now, this might all sound a bit familiar, and there's a good reason for that!

Update L posted:

Because, outside of one or two lines at the start, this is a complete repeat of Rin's lore dump last week.

Like, what the gently caress! It isn't like getting that conversation was hard, since she was right by the 1F stairs and had a yellow box over her head and everything! Why even have this here!

And don't forget that conflict between individuals is not necessarily a bad thing. Understand your foe to win. Anticipate your opponent to win. Respect your opponent to win. These three things are what I consider to be the essence of the Grail War.

How this reality came to be the Holy Grail War, I honestly couldn't tell you. I personally think the system was created for the purpose of better understanding mankind.

~

The end of the world?

The world is headed toward collapse. ...I 'm not speaking right away, of course. It's not like there's some immediate threat. There was a global catastrophe thirty years ago, but it actually helped stabilize the population. However, with the massive loss of life, all progress came to a crashing halt. Now there is no war, no famine, no poverty. But there is no advancement, only stasis. New discoveries, scientific breakthroughs, even space travel have all come to a standstill. Mankind has yet to even explore the moon. History itself has somehow been corrupted. Since the near-extinction of mankind, human society has stagnated, like water in a marsh. The Harway family wants to keep the status quo, as it is easier to maintain than change. That may work in the short term, but resource scarcity and environmental decay isn't far off. Like walking down an incline, it's only really noticeable if you look ahead instead of at your feet. And if the incline was endless and there was no hope at the end, would you keep going? I don't hold to that fatalistic view. That's why I'm here; to fight against a hopeless future. To defeat the short-sighted plutocrats who'd allow the world to rot away— Namely, the Harways. ...Oh. I'm not saying that I should win because of my desire to save the world. The value of a person's wish isn't determined by its grandeur or its intent. Everyone has their own reasons for entering. I just thought I'd share mine with you.

And again, this is a complete copy paste!

~~

You were pathetic. I was kinda hoping you'd disappear before you got hurt.

If only one of us can reach the Holy Grail, I'll slice you out of my way.

The scene advances.

~

Let's not talk about that stuff.

...? Then what do you want to talk about?

Dreams.

Haha, answer the question. It's just a way to pass time, right?

My goal is to defeat the Harways... ...Huh? Should it be something more personal? ...I don't know what kind of answer will satisfy you. I've lived a life of bloodshed, not girly dreams.

I'm not from the Middle East, I'm just there for work. I'd like to go home and finally relax. When humanity's thriving again, I'd like to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet of my own.

My real body is in a secret military base in old ruins out in the desert. Completely vulnerable to air raid— You didn't even realize we're not in Japan? Ah right, those pesky memory problems of yours. Well, the school reproduced here is Japanese, so I can see where you could get confused. ...I'm the age that I'd have to go to school if I were in Japan. Hnmn. I hadn't considered that.

Yeah. School sounds fun.

~

Love.

Why don't you start by telling them all about the parade of suitors you've had, Master?

Wh-What trenches?! You mean the virtual war I've been waging from that junk shop since forever? When exactly was I supposed to find the time to sit down and get all friendly with a boy?!

Yawn! In other words... You have no love life.

Ergh... drat it, I walked right into that!

Cu... :allears:

You! Those men are all veterans of long military service! They treat me with dignity and respect! ...Well, I suppose it would be nice to have someone who didn't treat me like a princess...

So, you don't hold these adoring men at arm's reach, they're all paragons of masculine restraint? ...Hmm? What about this girl here? Seems you've let her penetrate your shield of defense. Is it your first time? The first time you've let someone the same age as you into your inner circle?

And if I am? One of you will be dead after this.

...F-fine.

But...I think that if we'd met in the real world, you and I probably would have become friends.

~

School.

Sorry to disappoint, but I've never been to anything like school.

Outside Harway jurisdiction, there's just not many places that have functional schools, you see.

You know, the more I hear about life on Earth, the more I'm glad we're on the Moon.

I regret that I broke through the illusion so fast, even though I had to for the Holy Grail War. But, it's not like it was real. It was just a pale copy of what real school life would be like.

~~

In that light, fighting against you is a rough prospect. On the other hand, I'm glad we were paired. I'd prefer to watch you disappear with my own eyes, rather than you vanish in a battle I'll never see.

If there's any deeper meaning in one of us killing the other, we'll realize it at the end. So that's why I intend to cut you down swiftly and without mercy.

The doors open and a dimly lit pathway appears. I take a step forward— The fight begins now.

Music: Duel - Friend Turned Foe (:siren: You should definitely listen to this. :siren:)

The Holy Grail War will be over soon. Am I crazy for thinking that I don't want it ending just yet...?

Ha! Not even a dog would eat someone like you.

Cu comes into the fight with just over 30K HP and starts off with his Noble Phantasm lit.

Red Bough Wheel adds an MP Drain to his Breaks.

Normally Tamamo would be terrified by this, but at this point the odds of any enemy landing a non-Skill attack are pretty much zero.

Idiot, I said six is enough! If you're taking it easy, I'm gonna fine you!

If you recall the fight we saw between Rin and Rani during the route split, Rin would time her Code Casts to line up with Cu's Skills, and it holds true here.

poo poo.

An unavoidable chance of stun is always a nasty thing to deal with, and Cu will always follow up call_gandor(64); with Hammering Assault to go for Paralysis. If the stun lands, then he'll have an easy time setting up Paralysis to cost you even more moves next turn.

See?

Next turn brings out their other combo. call_fortune(128); is another unavoidable hit that comes with a Luck debuff.

While Median Lance has the same animation as Hammering Assault, but loses the Paralysis chance for more damage.

Okay! Don't show 'em any mercy!

And that's their NP line.

Here we go.

That would have dealt 1700 damage unblocked, which would have been enough to kill Caster from full. On top of that, Gae Bolg has a chance of inflicting Instant Death. Guarding drops the odds, Aphotic Cave even moreso, but every time he uses it there's a chance the game decides you don't get to survive and you get to restart the fight.

All in all, Rin and Cu have the best synergy amongst all the Masters we've seen. Gandor opens up a free hit for Cu to exploit, and debuffing Luck boosts the odds for the stun, the paralysis, and the instant death to land.

Calm down, Lancer. They were lucky, that's all.

The stun fails.

And so does Cu.

Like you had to ask! Let's go, Lancer! Time to turn this around!

Next turn knocks Cu under four digits.

But hitting critical HP adds in a rude trick.

Cu will use one Skill on move 1, as normal.

But follow up with his other on move 3.

He also gets one final Skill at critical.

Ath nGabla gives Cu a sizable Strength and Defense buff, and will never naturally wear off. The wing symbol is a mystery for now.

However, setting up a buff gives me time to set up.

:fuckoff:

This is total overkill, but why not do it again!

Haha, japed. The wing symbol is an auto-revive, bringing Cu back with 8% HP on death. Thankfully, he isn't able to reapply it, so he won't last long.

Cu tries to use his NP one more time, but he won't last long enough to use it.

However, this time he's using both his Skills plus his NP, which is actually a fun little bit of tying together lore and gameplay! Gae Bolg has always been noted as being extremely mana-efficient, so it makes sense that he can throw everything into a single turn.

How??? :psyduck:

There, much better.

There's no getting back up from this one.

Music: Goodbye

Suffice to say, her tone of voice was a little more casual than I expected from someone about to die.

She speaks with no trace of regret. I suppose she's gracious enough to accept defeat if she gave it her all.

That reminds me... I've always told you to have a reason to fight.

So, what are you now? Someone who knows what they want? Or, someone who's still looking?

I know what I'm about.

This is the only real option here.

*Phew* The last thing I'd want is to affect your upcoming battles.

I've been ready to die since I entered the Holy Grail War , but...

As long as someone defeats Leo, the Harways' plan to rule the earth will be significantly delayed.

There were only ever a few Masters whose power I had faith in, but for some reason, I know you can do it.

...Oh. Maybe I lost because I knew I could rely on someone else to attain my objective. If you stop caring about winning for even a second, you're done. I guess I screwed up.

Farewell, Cu Chulainn.

...I just noticed, he only got to speak in, like, two scenes.

And Rin's Command Seals flare out? I honestly thought that happening with Julius implied that he was using them to buff his desperate escape attempts, but I guess we're just doing this now?

While she speaks, Rin is gradually disintegrating. Rin's Servant fades out of existence without any final words. She's about to follow him without a fuss.

I can't say I love them, but seeing a happy kid always brings a smile to my face.

Dramatic irony! Hakuno's stuck on the moon for life!

Farewell, Rin Tohsaka.

Hold tight for a bit, okay? We'll send Leo down after you soon enough.

With a smile more gentle than I'd ever seen her give, a smile I'll never forget, she fades away. —She fought to change the world, and now she's gone.

As for me, I'm one step closer to the Holy Grail. When I obliterate the final enemy and reach the Holy Grail, what should I do...?

Music: School III

Child of Light posted:

A hero believed to be the offspring of a god and a human. Demigods are fairly common amongst the Heroic Spirits drawn from human mythology, although few of them are considered more than second-tier heroes by their adherents. This one, however, is believed to have inherited the blood of the Absolute One, the main god of his nation's pantheon of immortal beings.

Divinity (B) posted:

This is a measure of one's Divine Spirit aptitude. At high levels, this ability allows one to break through and defend against otherwise invincible skills, such as Sri Maha Bodhiya.

The Sri Maha Bodhi is the tree where the Buddha gained enlightenment, which... is a bit of an out there thing to point out on a Celtic Servant's page?

Knight of the Red Bough posted:

All of the stories that surround the legend of Cu Chulainn are universal in their praise for his loyalty, heroism, and compassion. And although he was famous for his terrifying "battle spasms" while on the battle field, his seemingly blind rage never overcame his steadfast adherence to his moral code.

Unfortunately, it was this unwavering adherence to honor that in the end lead to Cu Chulainn's demise. As a Celtic warrior, he was bound by a number of geasa (taboos), the violation of which would greatly weaken him. As a youth, he single-handedly defended Ulster from the armies of Queen Medb of Connacht. To add to the insult of a single man annihilating her army, Cu Chulainn came across her on the field of battle, but chose to spare her life as he thought it dishonorable to kill a woman. From that moment on, the desire to see him die became an all-consuming passion for the disgraced queen.

Medb eventually came up with a scheme to weaken Cu Chulainn by using his own code of honor against him. By forcing him to violate several of the geasa that bound him, Cu Chulainn was stripped of the divine protections and gifts that were his birthright. However, he still managed to die with honor, tying himself to a stone pillar even as his life faded, as he vowed to never fall in battle.

Next time: We're still not done with Week 6.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 19, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LIX.I - Rin's treatment

I actually used this fight to test out how much the poison on Eternal Bane did, just due to Cu's massive health pool.

Music: Game Over

That's all. She turns her back on me and walks away. She doesn't even glance back. I don't think she's being cold. Just...there are no words to say to someone that you've killed. Though her back is to me now, I know she hasn't forgotten about me. In fact, it's the exact opposite. She's willing to be weighted down with the lives she's taken away. That slim, strong back is shouldering such a burden. I can think of nothing more appropriate to see right now—

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Week 6 (Rani Route) Information Matrix - Lancer (True Name Revealed)

Gae Bolg: Spear of Barbaric Impalement posted:

A crimson spear that always finds its mark. The truth of this weapon is far more sinister than legend says. In a strange reversal of causality, the target and ultimate effect of this weapon have already been ordained. The only variable presence in a successful attack is whether it is used or not. Once used, it is not a question of if it will hit, but how long it will take for its target to die. Agility will not help one avoid Gae Blog should it be used, but instead it all depends on one's Luck.
Gae Bolg is the most efficient and deadly of all the Noble Phantasms, as it has a very low magic cost and almost always results in a one-hit kill.

Wielder of Runes posted:

A form of thaumaturgy unique to Northern Europe. The foundation of this craft is the engraving of words of power into stone to induce various mystical events. It is believed that this ability has been lost to time.

Child of Light posted:

A hero believed to be the offspring of a god and a human. Demigods are fairly common amongst the Heroic Spirits drawn from human mythology, although few of them are considered more than second-tier heroes by their adherents. This one, however, is believed to have inherited the blood of the Absolute One, the main god of his nation's pantheon of immortal beings.

Anti-Magic (C) posted:

Nullifies minor spells consisting of chants of two verses or less. Ineffective against high-level thaumaturgy and the greater rituals

Marshal (A->C) posted:

Increases vitality when in deadly peril. Makes it possible to fight even with fatal injuries and remain alive as long as a final decisive blow isn't struck. The ability rank of this skill has been temporarily reduced as his Master chose to boost his overall endurance at the expense of this ability.

Divinity (B) posted:

This is a measure of one's Divine Spirit aptitude. At high levels, this ability allows one to break through and defend against otherwise invincible skills, such as Sri Maha Bodhiya.

Character Background posted:

One of the great heroes of Ireland.

First appears as a demigod in Ulster mythology and is said to be the son of Lugh, the God of Light, and Deichtine, the younger sister of Conchobar, King of Ulster. His birth name was Setanta and from an early age it was foretold that he would become a hero of renown.

He was christened Cu Chulainn (which mean Culann's Hound) after accidentally killing the watchdog of a wealthy merchant. He took the name with pride, vowing, "I will devote myself to the rearing of a watchdog worthy of replacing the one I have just slain and until such time as that dog is ready, I will personally watch over and guard your life with my own."

Upon becoming an adult, Cu Chulainn was enrolled into the order known as the Knights of the Red Branch and then sent to the warrior-woman Scathach in the Land of Shadows to train as a warrior, and, according to darker rumors, meet his death. Fortunately, Scathach saw in him a worthy student and disciple and passed on all that she knew of both the martial arts and the more powerful aspects of thaumaturgy. Upon the completion of his training, Cu Chulainn was given the mighty demonic spear Gae Bolg and told to depart from the Land of Shadows.

After returning to be beloved homeland, his triumphs were many...but that is a story for another time.

Knight of the Red Bough posted:

All of the stories that surround the legend of Cu Chulainn are universal in their praise for his loyalty, heroism, and compassion. And although he was famous for his terrifying "battle spasms" while on the battle field, his seemingly blind rage never overcame his steadfast adherence to his moral code.

Unfortunately, it was this unwavering adherence to honor that in the end lead to Cu Chulainn's demise. As a Celtic warrior, he was bound by a number of geasa (taboos), the violation of which would greatly weaken him. As a youth, he single-handedly defended Ulster from the armies of Queen Medb of Connacht. To add to the insult of a single man annihilating her army, Cu Chulainn came across her on the field of battle, but chose to spare her life as he thought it dishonorable to kill a woman. From that moment on, the desire to see him die became an all-consuming passion for the disgraced queen.

Medb eventually came up with a scheme to weaken Cu Chulainn by using his own code of honor against him. By forcing him to violate several of the geasa that bound him, Cu Chulainn was stripped of the divine protections and gifts that were his birthright. However, he still managed to die with honor, tying himself to a stone pillar even as his life faded, as he vowed to never fall in battle.

Combat lines:

Battle start

Alright... Let's get this started!

~~

Command selection

I can easily take on ten guys at this rate!

Idiot, I said six is enough! If you're taking it easy, I'm charging you! (High health)

~

Alright, let's have some fun! (High health)

~

Let's keep pushing our way through. (High health)

~

This one's dangerous... Restore my magic, Master!

I don't need you to tell me that! Okay, let's turn this around Lancer! (Low health)

~

This is like the raging waves of Lochlann. (Low health)

~

...the fight is just beginning. (Low health)

~

Alright, time to charge head first!

Ok! Don't show them any mercy! (NP ready)

~

You bastard... Don't underestimate me!

Calm down, Lancer. They were just lucky. (NP survived)

~~

Normal attacks

Prepare yourself! (Attack)

~

Too slow! (Counter)

~

Loosen up! (Break)

~

As predicted...! (Extra turn)

~

Just give up! (Consecutive Extra turn)

~

This is the end! (Extra attack)

~~

Damaged

Not bad! (Hit)

~

poo poo! You're not bad!

Argh, you! Not bad! (Enemy Extra turn)

~

Get back up, Master!

Ahh, they're getting ahead...! (Consecutive enemy Extra turn)

~

Argh, I messed up... (Defeated)

~~

Skills

Swing! Hammering Assault! (Hammering Assault)

~

Be crushed! Median Lance! (Median Lance)

~

Red thorns like those of a wild rose. (Red Bough Wheel)

~

Shoal of Extremities, form for me! (Ath nGabla)

~

I won't die to something like this! (Auto-revive)

~

Your heart is mine! (Gae Bolg)

~

Lancer, after them!

Leave it to me! (call_gandor(64))

~

Sparing no expense! Rapid shooting! (call_fortune(128))

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 16, 2022

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Fate/Extra posted:

" And although he was famous for his terrifying "battle spasms" while on the battle field, his seemingly blind rage never overcame his steadfast adherence to his moral code."

Technically I believe they're translated as "warp spasms," but this little factoid is the real reason why one of Cu Cullen's confirmed viable classes is Berserker. Basically what happens is... He turns into the Hulk, like literally, he hulks out and goes berserk. And generally the only way the other Ulsters could calm him down was to parade a group of topless women in front of him, where he'd revert back to normal, mostly because even as a screaming berserk monster, he was still a teenager at the time and was embarrassed seeing Naked Ladies.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RIP Rin.
I bring the Tale of Cu Chulainn by Miracle of Sound to honour best doggo.
Also in AMV form. Just ignore the way the anime mangles the pronunciation.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, Battle Continuation acting as a revive mechanic originated in EXTRA!? Huh, completely forgot about that.

Also poor Rin, had she only summoned Gilgamesh she'd have steamrolled the whole toirnament only at the cost of her dignity.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, Battle Continuation acting as a revive mechanic originated in EXTRA!? Huh, completely forgot about that.

Also poor Rin, had she only summoned Gilgamesh she'd have steamrolled the whole tournament only at the cost of her dignity.

Oh Boy I really want to say something but that's a spoiler for the original updated version of the game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd say it started in the VN. Being functional for about 5 minutes after getting one's heart stabbed by the Gae Bolg is as jRPG guts as it comes. "I don't care if your 10 hit combo dealt 50 times my max HP every hit, guts triggered on the last one so I'm still on my feet at 1 HP. My turn."

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

cdyoung posted:

Technically I believe they're translated as "warp spasms," but this little factoid is the real reason why one of Cu Cullen's confirmed viable classes is Berserker. Basically what happens is... He turns into the Hulk, like literally, he hulks out and goes berserk. And generally the only way the other Ulsters could calm him down was to parade a group of topless women in front of him, where he'd revert back to normal, mostly because even as a screaming berserk monster, he was still a teenager at the time and was embarrassed seeing Naked Ladies.

One of my favorite tidbits about Warp Spasm Cu, in the context of Fate:

We do have a Berserker Cu, but he's explicitly not the 'real' Berserker Cu, instead being a product of someone's wish on the Holy Grail. This Cu, Cu Alter, is an absolute monster, literally destroying his own body just to better kill his enemies, and he even manages to overpower his teacher Scathach- ya know, the woman who GAVE him Gae Bolg and literally taught him everything he knows.

...And Warp Spasm Cu is apparently so scary, even Cu Alter warns us we don't want to see him.

It's too bad we'll probably never see the 'proper' Berserker Cu.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

My comment about Rin was based on Word of Nasu that Rin and Gilgamesh would actually be very compatible. I'm guessing because combat wise Rin is a top tier Master and his Golden Rule would let Rin get better gems and personality wise because Gilgamesh likes interesting people with conflicting sides (see:Kotomine) and he would totally keep breaking Rin's facade to both amuse himself and get her to be truer to herself. Hence the lack of dignity :v:

Omobono posted:

I'd say it started in the VN. Being functional for about 5 minutes after getting one's heart stabbed by the Gae Bolg is as jRPG guts as it comes. "I don't care if your 10 hit combo dealt 50 times my max HP every hit, guts triggered on the last one so I'm still on my feet at 1 HP. My turn."

Eeh, I always felt BatCon was more like "What, my HP is 0? Doesn't matter, I can still fight." akin to some D&D Barbariak abilities? So it would make more sense it was like, can't die for X turns, since guts specifically can keep you alive.

serefin99 posted:

While not Berserk Cu we do have a supposed design for Warp Spasm Cu from concept art of the Prisma Illya 3DS game, meaning it's very dubiously canon and good thing cause, um.

Cu, buddy, got anything you want to get out?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

serefin99 posted:

You never know with that bastard Arcado out there.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 29, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
One thing to note is that I'm pretty sure that, as per the VN, Gae Bolg's instakill chance (like all other debuffs, now that I think about it) is based on your Luck.

So if you dump it all the way down... This fight is a lot harder.

That's also why Rin's luck debuffs are so good as a combo.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Cyouni posted:

One thing to note is that I'm pretty sure that, as per the VN, Gae Bolg's instakill chance (like all other debuffs, now that I think about it) is based on your Luck.

So if you dump it all the way down... This fight is a lot harder.

That's also why Rin's luck debuffs are so good as a combo.

If I remember right, Luck is the primary stat (I think with either Mag or Agi as a secondary) checked for status ailments in the game and ID is a status.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

cdyoung posted:

You never know with that bastard Arcado out there.

Please no. I think I would legit rather never get BerserCu than for him to be released on Arcade. They already got Setanta, ffs!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

serefin99 posted:

Please no. I think I would legit rather never get BerserCu than for him to be released on Arcade. They already got Setanta, ffs!

I will never forgive Arcade for denying Mobile the opportunity for an alternate Jack the Ripper outfit. :argh:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

serefin99 posted:

*whispers* "Arcade got Tiamat."

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Lancer died!

Cu feels like such an overwhelming paranoia inducing threat, in addition to just being strong and durable anytime able to unleash potential instant death with no real counterplay. And might not stay down while "dead". Was almost expecting Rin to go poof and our party leaving the scene, and he just sits there very very slowly fading away, quipping to himself.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I don't think the Moon Cell gave him much of a choice on that one, sadly. For what it's worth, though, even after the Moon Cell determined he'd lost the fight, he still never dropped his stance until he was erased. He was a bit slumped, but he was still ready to throw down.

Godspeed, Cu. You got your wish of having a Master you actually gel with for once.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Koboje posted:

Lancer died!

Cu feels like such an overwhelming paranoia inducing threat, in addition to just being strong and durable anytime able to unleash potential instant death with no real counterplay. And might not stay down while "dead". Was almost expecting Rin to go poof and our party leaving the scene, and he just sits there very very slowly fading away, quipping to himself.

Yeah, when he's actually allowed to play to his strengths, Cu is a massive threat. Of course, the same could be said for like... 99% of Servants. glares pointedly at the entire Assassin class

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, when he's actually allowed to play to his strengths, Cu is a massive threat. Of course, the same could be said for like... 99% of Servants. glares pointedly at the entire Assassin class

The problem with the assassin class is they're anti-masters, not actual combat servants. The entire class is designed to get around the magical defenses of a magus and then kill them, because dear god, aside from Gramos most assassins are just utterly terrible at fighting.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

cdyoung posted:

The problem with the assassin class is they're anti-masters, not actual combat servants. The entire class is designed to get around the magical defenses of a magus and then kill them, because dear god, aside from Gramos most assassins are just utterly terrible at fighting.

Exactly. In an actual Holy Grail War, the Assassin class is honestly probably the most dangerous. But we never get to see an Assassin in a Holy Grail War, we only ever see them in stories about the Holy Grail War, and since it would narratively unsatisfying for half the Masters to get ganked before we even see them, Assassins are never given a chance to shine.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
At least ol' Hundred Faces got a chance to perform the other main actions that Assassins specialize in: espionage, scouting, and subterfuge. Though this is ultimately marred by how un-Assassin-like both their faked death and actual death were.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NyoroEevee posted:

At least ol' Hundred Faces got a chance to perform the other main actions that Assassins specialize in: espionage, scouting, and subterfuge. Though this is ultimately marred by how un-Assassin-like both their faked death and actual death were.

Well that Assassin was pretty much just a sacrificial pawn. They were sent in a basically a suicide mission for their final task because it was decided it was time for their master to drop out. Kiritsugu actually wanted Assassin as his servant as he felt it would have played to his strengths better then Saber would have.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

cdyoung posted:

*whispers* "Arcade got Tiamat."

Forget Tiamat, Arcade got Sita.

My man Rama has been here missing his wife for years, DW Lasengle, let them kiss.

Koboje posted:

Lancer died!

You're not human!

The joke works on multiple levels because both Hakuno and Tamamo are actually not human.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that Assassin was pretty much just a sacrificial pawn. They were sent in a basically a suicide mission for their final task because it was decided it was time for their master to drop out. Kiritsugu actually wanted Assassin as his servant as he felt it would have played to his strengths better then Saber would have.

On that note, a Caster for the class's perchance for long term planning, or an Archer of the right temperament for the tactics that Independent Action allows would have also been a great fit. In the 4th War, the Einzberns' insistance on summoning "The Most Powerful Servant" was one of their biggest idiocies of hubris when they went out of their way to recruit an outsider, based on his reputation, as their representative to begin with.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Forget Tiamat, Arcade got Sita.

My man Rama has been here missing his wife for years, DW Lasengle, let them kiss.

But... Curse of Separation! It actually figures into their lore they'd be in separate timelines.

NyoroEevee posted:

On that note, a Caster for the class's perchance for long term planning, or an Archer of the right temperament for the tactics that Independent Action allows would have also been a great fit. In the 4th War, the Einzberns' insistance on summoning "The Most Powerful Servant" was one of their biggest idiocies of hubris when they went out of their way to recruit an outsider, based on his reputation, as their representative to begin with.

If the Eizenburns were smart they would have summoned the strongest servant. Alcides Archer class Herakles.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 31, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NyoroEevee posted:

Eh, I don't really feel that because, in the end, the Einzberns were finalists in the 4th HGW? Like, if the Grail hadn't been corrupted it would have ended in Saber VS Gil and she actually has a chance against him (more if Kiritsugu gave her Avalon back after Iri got Grail'd). Saber is stronk and hasn't jobbed as much as other old Servants, even if she didn't fit with Kiritsugu.

Granted the Einzbern would have probably hosed uo in other ways, that's what happens when you base your magecraft on loving cursed gold.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LX - I am breaking from my usual naming scheme to restate my utter loathing of Week 6 in the 2011 PSP RPG: Fate/Extra

We get the same intro speech in Rin's route, and we don't even get a different chapter name like in Week 4.

Music: School I

No changes at the bulletin board, so let's just jump to Rin.

...As your Servant said, it's probably safe to assume that your opponent was the one who did it.

-It's a good deduction, but is it possible to do that?

...I can't help you there. But if your opponent did erase all the info from the bulletin board, maybe there was a witness or maybe even some evidence nearby. You should look around.

Rin's right. Without so much as a name, I can't collect information on the opposing Master. There's one thing I know for sure: my opponent is one of the handful of remaining Masters here. I'll start out by investigating the campus.

A rather Hermetic obscuration of information... Proceed with great caution. The enemy is surely strong.

~

...You must be wondering if I'm your opponent? Well, Schrodinger's cat is both alive and dead... But quantum mechanics aside, there are some people more deserving of suspicion than others.

Remember when I said that the only things that needed to change today were the partner chat and who was on 2F?

Plus, someone hacked the Arena's entrance so you couldn't get in. That's one serious enemy...

I'm really worried about the door. If I can't retrieve the Triggers, I'll be disqualified.

Well, if you don't know who your opponent is, random guessing won't help your cause much.

My opponent...is trying to avoid a fight? They did force their way out of the Arena to avoid me, plus all of the blocked corridors... Yeah, they must be trying to avoid fighting me. I just can't imagine why...

I find it strange how the game goes through so much trouble to make lines as generic as possible, but then just... have unique lines anyways. Hakuno's equivalent line on the other side was:

Rani route posted:

Could that mean my enemy is... trying to avoid a confrontation? I got booted from the Arena before I could confront them. And there's this passive-aggressive stuff. I still don't know why, but it's safe to assume they're trying to avoid a fight.

Like, both lines state the same thing, and show up at the exact same point in the conversation. Reusing the lines would have cost nothing.

But right now, we need to do something about that door. Hopefully we can find an item or some other kind of clue to help solve all of this.

Speaking of items and evidence, I should ask her about this lapel badge I found.

...Leo Harway might be your enemy. Who knows, he might even tell you if you ask him... But you must be cautious. Your enemy might attack you without warning at any time.

Yeah, I know. I'd better start asking around campus before going to the Arena. I should also find Leo as well.

The rest of the day is the same.

Yesterday, after entering the Arena, I heard a blast. I head to the Arena to see the aftermath.

Music: Duel of Fate

In what is probably the biggest difference between routes, they actually changed the damage on the wall!

Wow, color Tamamo surprised. If that attack had landed, it would have been...bad. Well, it's over and done. Either our enemy isn't very good, or we were very, very, lucky.

I wonder if that's really true. Luck only goes so far. Did my enemy miss on purpose, and if so, what would the reason be? As I stare blankly at the scars on the wall, I hear a voice call me from behind.

Rin... What in the world caused this?

I wanted to see what happened and came across this... Anything out of the ordinary happen to you yesterday?

I explained what happened to me to an increasingly worried Rin. After running to the Arena to escape a sudden feeling of death, I heard a loud blast. After the explosion, the sense of my enemy's presence suddenly and mysteriously disappeared.

And this line is the same, but has entirely different red text!

I get it now. There is a brief moment when entering the Arena where you'd be defenseless. If that's the case, it's obvious that your opponent will do anything to see you dead... ...Well, good luck with that. Also, I have no clue as to why this attack failed.

As she speaks, Rin glances at the wall once more and then sighs as if she just realized something. I wonder what she sees that I don't.

A Berserker...? Hearing an explosion I assumed it was a code cast attack. Could it have been a physical attack? That must mean that the enemy Servant's class is Berserker.

Don't jump to conclusions. But it had to be a physical attack to damage SE.RA.PH like this.

I'll give this one a bit more of a pass. The enemy probably being a Berserker is less of a smoking gun than the enemy using Celtic runes, and Hakuno's first thought when seeing Rin and Rani's Servants is that both were Lancers.

Rin should still start suspecting Rani from this, at the very least.

Information about my enemy's attacks. It's not their class, but any info is better than none. Thank you, Rin. As I express my thanks, she turns her face away a bit.

If your enemy made it this far, they couldn't be so incompetent to miss such an easy target. This is only a guess, but maybe they missed on purpose. Maybe they don't want to face you.

...Don't want to face me? But there are only enemies to be found in the Holy Grail War. ...Well, except maybe Rin. I wonder, is there a reason for this conflict? All that awaits the loser is virtual death.

I told you I was only guessing, you idiot. I seriously doubt that anyone that weak is still around.

Rin closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, as if she's psyching herself up for something.

With a final shy glance, Rin turns and walks away. I wonder what she wants. I'll be sure and go talk with Rin later.

Level 1 just nets us a single skill. Not even a Berserker? tag.

Blind Rage (A) posted:

Gives a significant boost to most stats, but at the cost of one's reason and sanity. As all decisions are made by the Master, the Servant under this spell will be little more than an empty automaton.

I intentionally failed the conversation at the end of Week 5 on this route, so choosing Tamamo here is locked out.

I also go for the harem option to lose Tamamo's Level E Matrix just to see if we get any unique lines for it.

...let's be real, this is Fate/Extra. They'll just not give a yellow chat in Week 7 and call it good.

Anyways, time for Wacky Anime Shenanigans.

As I enter the cafeteria, I run into none other than Rin.

The manual says that when a contest of wills comes to an impasse, you fight with lunch!

She made lunch for me? While I am surprised she went through the trouble, it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary for her. However, the whole "it's in the manual" thing is more than a little disconcerting...

Wh-What's with that look on your face? In case you were wondering, I do know how to cook! I-It's just that it has been so long since I made anything, it took me forever to finish.

Hmph. So, what's it going to be?! Do you want to have some or not?!

Yes, of course I do. And despite her talk of food fights and scary manuals, I'm strangely happy. Her show of kindness reminds me of my life before being forced into this brutal struggle.

Wise decision. I'll meet you in the classroom. Hurry before everything goes cold.

It might've been my imagination, but Rin looked somewhat happy as she walked away. Considering her normally haughty demeanor, her act of kindness caught me off-guard. Well, I should head up to the classroom before Rin's lunch goes cold.

Honestly, this scene feels a lot weaker to me on this side.

Et tu, Rani? I wonder what's gotten into the two of them.

Music: Comical Life

Like, the entire point of Rani's route is her breaking away from her previous life of being just a tool to be used. Without that character development, it just feels a bit out of character for Rani to go for a stunt like this, you know?

I'm not -up- to anything. I happened to come across some recipes and ingredients for survival rations. And given the current situation, I do not believe my discovery was merely a coincidence. I've been looking for you Hakuno Kishinami, because I think you'd appreciate these rations. ...Am I interrupting anything?

No need to be so rude. I assure you everything is not only edible, but delicious.

The two glare furiously at each other. W-Well, as they say, "The more, the merrier," right? To be honest, I'm curious to see what Rani cooked up.

—?! W-Well, I guess being able to see what Atlas replicants eat is a rare opportunity.

Ugh... Why are you so nonchalant all of the sudden? It seems totally out of character for you.

Directly calling it out doesn't make it not bad writing, Rin.

Funny, I was going to say the same thing about you. Aren't you supposed to be the ever-rational Wizard?

Rin and Rani have switched places.

After that brief exchange, we all sat down and began to eat the lunches both girls had made. Rin's lunch consisted of Chinese food, such as chili shrimp and spring rolls. Rani's lunch consisted of exotic Egyptian dishes.

Before I can respond, Rani proceeds to shove a forkful of ground meat into my mouth. As she keeps feeding more to me, Rani mentions that this dish is called kofta kebab. The scent, flavor, and texture of this dish all come together in perfect harmony.

On the plus side, we get to find out what Rani made in her route!

... *Grumble*

If you liked that, just wait until you try some of the other dishes I made.

Next up on the menu is a dish Rani says is popular in Egypt called kushari. Wow, this is awesome, too.

Try this one, too.

She hands me the Egyptian version of a falafel called ta meyyah, which is made using fava beans. Wow, everything tastes so good. Rin, why don't you try some? As soon as I said those words...

Music: Stops

Standing abruptly, Rin began to hastily pack up the lunch she had made. Rin? Hey, is there something wrong?

No! It's...nothing... I've had enough of...everything! It's time for me to be going.

With those final words, she stormed out of the room. She seems...not quite herself. Was it something I said?

Tamamo's lecture is unchanged.

Rin has a stern expression... drat, I knew it. She's still angry. I'll still tell her how my Servant lectured me afterward, and what I realized. I didn't mean to slight Rin's cooking. It was inexcusable of me to brush Rin off like that. And it was even worse to have said such an insensitive thing. I will be more sensitive in the future, so if she can find it in her heart to forgive me... I mean, please forgive me. I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Having run clean out of ways to apologize, I await her response with baited breath.

...You're sorry for what you've done to me?

Deeply.

Next time...will you actually try to enjoy what I tried so hard to make for you?

Of course. I promise.

-You're hopeless.

Good— I am relieved when I see Rin smile. Is there anything I can do as a token of my apology?

~

Sorry. That's not possible.

...I just wanted to see you get worked up, Rin.

-It's true, though. I can't promise. I'm a participant in the Holy Grail War. I could die tomorrow. That's why I can't promise anything.

...Promise me.

—Rin? She raises her head, looks directly in my eyes, and speaks.

Then promise me something else. I will forgive what happened today. But you have to promise...that you'll have lunch with me again some time.

...All right. I promise. Being pessimistic won't do me any good. I have to assume that I'm going to emerge victorious.

Right. Exactly.

—Let's see... What can I do to apologize for cracking that bad joke?

The choices converge here.

Gotcha. Tell me whatever you want.

I have no info on your opponent. This is a thousand times worse than dealing with Julius.

The only clue we have is the fissure in the wall on the first floor, next to the Arena.

But regardless of what you know and don't know, you still must prepare as best you can. With that in mind, I've been making you a Mystic Code. It should be ready tomorrow.

She's been...making me something? And meanwhile, I—

...Enough talk. You need to go explore the Arena more, so I won't keep you any longer.

Yeah, I ought to head to the Arena as soon as I can. Oh, but there's something I should say before I leave. Thank you. I look into Rin's eyes as I give my thanks, hoping she'll realize just how serious I am.

I feel like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders! Time to go to the Arena.

The damaged wall's description also changes.

This is a Base Red Mystic Code... It contains a magic amplification mechanism built by Atlas.

I got it through shady deals with dangerous people. It's my trump card, if you will.

The Base Red is Schrodinger's Mystic Code. It is simultaneously given to Rani by her professor, and bought by Rin on the black market until Hakuno chooses to save one.

Is it really okay for me to take something that important from her?

I understand. It will also be my honor to use such a generous gift to the best of my ability.

However... See that ichors-like stuff? It means that it's defective...after a fashion. This Mystic Code was designed to be used by a specific magus. To use it, you must defeat a powerful enemy and gain the Mystic Code's approval.

Approval from the Mystic Code? She's talking like it's alive... That could be possible, considering that we're talking about alchemy.

Unfortunately for me, it never recognized any of my defeated foes as worthy... In the end, we arrive at this point, with me being unable to use it.

My advice is to be patient in your search and consider yourself lucky if you can use it.

I see, that said, it won't mean anything if I don't find that sort of an enemy and defeat it.

Sound: Phone ringing

My challenge is set before me. Okay, I'll head toward the Arena.

I accidentally botched Taiga's request this week, locking out the second floor sidequest and preventing Hakuno from getting a pet fish in this timeline.

Rani's effigy looks a bit different than Rin's.

...Rani? Why does your effigy have no legs?

95% sure it's because they don't have a walk cycle for a dude that big, and deleting the legs saves them from having to make one. :ssh:

Beyond that, the rest of the scene is identical.

So let's jump ahead.

Just think, I only have to suicide against a major enemy just a few more times!

This is the only line change on the Dead End.

And surviving the fight still just reveals the enemy's class.

Strangely, Level 2 just reveals the class...

But Blind Rage gets reflagged as New, even though we got it for Level 1!

An effigy that copies the actions of a Servant... They're really trying to lay false trails... Well, I'm glad you're not dead. From what you've told me, your enemy is really strong.

It looks like a lightbulb goes on in Rin's head.

Considering the ferocity of the attack, I'm sure he's a Berserker. Even while hiding his identity and not using a Noble Phantasm, it was obvious what he was.

A Berserker... I see, thanks.

Rin is silent in thought for a moment, eyes down-turned, before turning to look at me.

That Effigy... There is something I need to tell you about it. It's just...I can't talk about it here. Come see me in the Nurse's Office this afternoon.

Something that we can't discuss here... What could it be? She seems pretty serious about this, so something must be up. In any case, I'll go to the Nurse's Office this afternoon.

Sorry for pulling you in here. Um, I need to tell you something I don't want others to hear... It's about the doll that you said attacked you yesterday. I don't want the Master who's in control of the doll to eavesdrop on our conversation.

If that's the case, I can give you an anti-Berserker Firewall Bypass I prepared earlier. You'll have a serious advantage against a Berserker, even one that's a doll.

Both Rani and Rin have a Base Red Mystic Code and a Firewall Bypass, what are the odds!

But, a countermeasure that targets Berserkers specifically...? Why would Rin have that on hand?

B-Because... Well, because I figured something like this was bound to happen. You asked for it.

Music: School III

Her forehead taps against mine. With her forehead resting on mine, Rin whispers something.

My cheeks tingle as something flows through them. It has to be the anti-Berserker Firewall Bypass. It rapidly courses through my magic circuits, making its way to my Servant. Rin shifts away.

So says the girl in front of me. Huh, how long has it been since the two of us have conspired like this in the nurse's office? The thought popped into my head.

I'm glad you're the one who saved me. If it'd been another Master, they'd be fighting alone. And also-

And also?

No. It's nothing.

She changed the topic. But, at least she's given me what I need to take out that doll. I should head to the Arena and get the Mystic Code's approval.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Scene's the same.

Die.

And now the whale.

It looks like you've got a big one on your hands. I can tell even from here. That foe should be enough to gain the Mystic Code's approval. But, when you fight it, be careful. That thing is probably more powerful than even certain Servants.

Die.

—Address conferred... Port connected. Session opened, presentation on, application executed...

The terminal whines as the Mystic Code bucks the program Rin sent. Will it work? Right as I'm starting to worry, Rin alerts me of the confirmation's completion.

Phew, success! By modding the Holy Grail through the back door, it's possible to amp up the power of one's Code Cast. How about you give it a try?

Oohhh... I don't really understand, but it looks amazing. Try equipping it now!

I thank Rin and terminate the transmission chain. This equipment was originally made for another magi, as her trump card. There's no doubt in my mind that it's a really high-quality item. I'll try it on in a moment.

It was probably a result of the Anti-Protect Code. From the impact, it's obvious that—

At that moment, Rin stops talking and looks me up and down, as if assessing my condition. What was she going to say?

But it's probably better if you find out who they are for yourself, Hakuno. The only thing I feel I can tell you now is the name of your opponent's Noble Phantasm. Its true name is God Force, AKA Sky Piercer. It belonged to a famous Chinese general. A weapon of mass destruction, it is capable of every kind of attack possible. Meaning of course...

I know that weapon. Because I've seen it once. The Master guiding that weapon... That friend who extended her hand to me— She's my opponent. It's not like I'm facing a "friend" like Shinji... This time I have to face someone truly dear to me.

I know how you feel, but don't let it get to you now.

I understand. The time when I could be hesitant has long since passed. Even though I am nothing but bits of random data, I chose to fight until the end.

Promise— I promised Rin I would eat her cooking, after the lunch incident. My commitment to that promise will be tested tomorrow...

Level 3 nets us his Noble Phantasm, same as in Rani's side.

Lu Bu Feng Xian is an infamous general from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, who had an unfortunate habit of betraying any lord he served. You probably know him better from not persuing him in Dynasty Warriors.

Honestly, Lu Bu is probably one of the best fits for Berserker, just to stop him from betraying his Master at the drop of a hat.

God Force: The Five Warriors of Guan Yu posted:

The true name given to Lu Bu Feng Xian's legendary halberd, the Sky Piercer. This weapon was considered the epitome of the weaponsmith's art as it perfectly balances all aspects of hand-to-hand combat into one formidable package.

The God Force was a masterpiece of Chinese weapons design created by the smith Chen Gong especially for Lu Bu, who he saw as the reincarnation of the ancient war god Guan Yu. Chen Gong believed that this god was responsible for the introduction of weaponry to the Chinese and strove to create a weapon that contained the strengths of all the weapons known to humanity at the time. This lead to the creation of Lu Bu's Noble Phantasm, which allows him to use his vast knowledge of the martial arts to adapt to and take advantage of his opponent's weaknesses.

Due to being under the effects of the Blind Rage enhancement, most of Lu Bu's skills have been erased from his mind and only his knowledge of the spear and of basic artillery (such as cannons) remains.

... No, I didn't manage to find out who I'm supposed to fight. —Is how I'll answer her for now. If I can do that, these almost carefree times can continue, if only for one more day...

Tomorrow, the stars will show the truth to all. Goodbye, then...

As I watched Rani as she walked away, I sincerely hoped that tomorrow would never come. -Don't lose focus. Rin's words echo in my head. If I lose focus, I'll be killed. And I have no intention of dying now. That is why when tomorrow comes...I will face my opponent, and defeat her. But for now, I think I should— Rani. I was calling out to her without realizing it.

I just wanted to tell Rani how much I enjoyed her cooking. I just wanted to say that.

With that, she turns and walks away. And this time, she won't be coming back.

Next time: We finally finish Week 6

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I DO find it a little funny how the thing that makes Hakuno certain the enemy is a Berserker is the ferocity of their attacks, considering we have Berserkers who aren't very vicious at all and non-Berserkers who would make actual Berserkers blush. I'd like them to try and use that logic nowadays.