Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Final boss wasn't as awful as I was expecting, but still definitely sucked. Absolutely no idea why they wouldn't let you ride torrent for it. Everything is there- huge arena, jumping over poo poo, having to run away from super fast projectiles and I agree with whoever mentioned it earlier but letting you ride him would full circle the game since you spend so much time riding around with him anyway. Very strange.

Radagan was pretty cool once I got into the rhythm, I ended up slightly redistributing my points and swapping out my dual katanas since I felt like my hits were doing nothing to him. Went back to my trusty great stars and brass shield and was able to consistently get him after a few attempts with minimal flask usage. Some of his moves I'm still not 100% sure how to properly dodge, like his big ground stomps with delayed holy explosions seems like you can jump them but I kept getting caught. Maybe I just wasn't timing it correctly?

Now onto my favorite part of souls games- killing every remaining NPC before NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the bigger mistake is confusing runes for progress. It feels weird because it’s an rpg but runes / levels absolutely do not equal progress

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I lost like 600k yesterday cause I died once to a minor erdtree boss and forgot to pick them up again after I killed it. Then I died to falling off a cliff ledge. Woops

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Weapon upgrade level is probably the best progress marker? Maybe also vigor, if only because more hp means more time spent learning a boss before death.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So does the meteorite staff ever get outscaled by anything? I’m lvl 101 and don’t know what to upgrade because all the staves I have are worse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No. 6 posted:

Read my posts. I didn't hoard. I didn't even realize I had them as was holding for maybe 4 minutes.

For better or worse this is a game that does expect you to pay attention at all times and will punish you for getting complacent.

Also,

Volte posted:

It takes like 5+ minutes of mindlessly hitting the Sleeping Dragon's tail with a bleed weapon for it to die, so I'm not sure how you could possibly miss the fact that it gave you a shitload of runes considering that's the only reason you'd actually do that.

v Gonna go out on a limb here and say this doesn't sound like the game for you. v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 26, 2022

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So the multiplayer system mostly provides players griefing in an already frustrating and solitary game thus making it uninteresting to group up. How engaging.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No. 6 posted:

So the multiplayer system mostly provides players griefing in an already frustrating and solitary game thus making it uninteresting to group up. How engaging.

this will really tickle your pickle but a lot of people play the souls games without interacting with the grouping mechanic at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This is also the friendliest game for playing solo by far, with the addition of ash summons and more NPC summons at bosses.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have been enjoying invading on my lvl 75 arcane faith guy. I have +5 rivers of blood and the dragon focus and then a nice bloodhound step katana. I feel like I could probably beat most of the game with this level and build. I want to get the 4 talisman slots and better talismans and invade more. Also have people come to me.

The pvp in this game is really a shitshow.

Also lower level pvp is good. I am thinking that level 30 would be great. And around 50 to 60. There are super powerful options at that level.

I am poo poo at dark souls pvp but I love it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in other extremely important news:

since the game launched i've been running with the default, out of the box graphics settings because i know from software's pc ports are famously held together by spit and balsa wood, and i have repeatedly made the claim that i have experienced absolutely no stuttering, hitching, or performance problems while playing the game known as "elden ring".

well, with the last driver release or whatever, the geforce experience app added a performance profile option for elden ring, so i smashed the "optimize" button on it to see how it'd go. it cranks all the settings to maximum.

taking a ride out around caelid, for the first time ever: the game stops, and then fast forwards to catch up. obvious, can't miss it, never have seen it before in the 75-odd hours i've been playing the game.

so i'm immediately flipping the graphics back to the default settings, and i recommend anyone who's been having trouble with those issues do the same.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 26, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

No. 6 posted:

Is 86k runes easy to farm? How? Mosy enemies are a bitch to fight and drop a few hundred

After you get a great rune (kill Godrick, most likely), it activates a quest from a NPC called Varré which you already met. The quest is trivial, though you may need to read spoilers for how to do the last part, and it allows you to teleport to a place which is a pretty easy farming ground. There's some horsing around required, to do the quest, and to go from the teleport arrival to the grace, but it's all doable pretty easily. Just google 'elden ring bird farm' and you'll likely find tons of guides/videos showing you everything should you wish to know the details.

I wouldn't beeline the place to level up myself, but I hit it regularly when I need to top up a level or when I want to buy smithing stones to level a new weapon.

And well before that, there's the vulgar militia near the bestial sanctum, worth 1k each. Nowhere near as good a farm, but convenient to top up levels when you're starting. You obviously have been there if you killed the sleeping dragon.

Also, note that there's a limited number of talismans (something branch?) which get destroyed when you die but allow you to keep your runes for this time. If you ever find yourself carrying too many runes and can't/don't want to teleport back to safety, it's a good idea to equip one just in case. If you make it to a grace though, remember to take it off as otherwise you'll waste it for nothing on the next death.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

No. 6 posted:

If you're not interested in PvP, then engaging with the game's multiplayer system will be annoying and frustrating yeah.

For what it's worth. I've given up From games' multiplayer (at least until there's a "opt-out-of-PvP" toggle) and I still have fun with the games as just a singleplayer experience. :shrug:
Also Elden Ring is an improvement over From's previous games in that spirit ashes can give you the extra help a coop-partner would have given you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Weapon upgrade level is probably the best progress marker? Maybe also vigor, if only because more hp means more time spent learning a boss before death.

The only marker of progress is killing bosses IMO.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SHISHKABOB posted:

The only marker of progress is killing bosses IMO. the size of your hammer.

FTFY

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am in Farum and I have gathered there’s probably way more for me to do still. I was about 105

At the moment I can explore more of mountaintop I think (juuuust unlocked consecrated snow), didn’t do any of the Mohg Bloodworld, and am still at the first bonfire of Farum. Is all this stuff more or less the same level ? I still have some open world stuff to do I think but it feels like I am pretty much at the point where these are the big things I have left to do

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

unpurposed posted:

So does the meteorite staff ever get outscaled by anything? I’m lvl 101 and don’t know what to upgrade because all the staves I have are worse.

I've been wondering this as well being around the same position. I have the Lusat Glintstone Staff upgraded to +6 right now and it has higher sorcery scaling than the Meteorite Staff at this point, and it does more damage on a single cast of a Glintstone spell than the staff, but I feel like between the higher FP costs from Lusat plus the gravity spell boost for Meteorite (since I spend so much time just slanging rocks) it's not clear to me that Lusat is better yet. Maybe if I shifted away from Gravity spells Lusat would be better (or when I upgrade Lusat more, if I could find more drat Somber Smithing Stones).

So anyway, sorry, that's not an answer, just some random thoughts.

I also have this staff from the Academy that requires 60 INT, but haven't even tried that one yet. I think it boosts moon spells but I don't believe I have any of that magic yet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No. 6 posted:

more or less, yes

it'd perhaps be a better mechanic if there were some attempt at proper matchmaking, but the fact that new players are going to be matched against someone with either a strong mastery of the game's systems or enough raw statistical advantages via twinking means that their experience with invasions is going to be more "this loving sucks" than "this is an interesting challenge". there's ways you could try and counterbalance this without actual account-bound MMR, like subtly increasing the range of levels/weapon upgrades you can invade into as you rack up more and more successful invasions, but, much like with their UI design, i don't think fromsoft cares that much because it works "fine" and they have enough cultural cache to get away with it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I buy all the branches I find and slap one on when I start getting nervous about how many runes I’m carrying.

It’s mostly useful in the mid-game, when enemies still aren’t dropping a ton of runes but it takes upwards of 20/30k runes to level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No. 6 posted:

That's what happened. I didn't even realize I got runes from it until later when I glanced at the counter as I lay dying from a random mob. I went to get the runes back, asked for support, had a player join me and clear all the enemies when suddenly a bloody infected festering moldy finger or whatever invaded and killed me and my assisting player.

My advice would be not to worry about it. Those are runes you weren't "supposed" to have anyway, and I certainly didn't get them on my first playthrough (just because I didn't know about easily killing that dragon). They were a freebie, they went away, sucks but you're not behind the curve at all. (Also there's a boss near that dragon you can cheese for 40k runes if you want.)

What platform are you on? People here might be able to drop you some things to help you get started and maybe fill the hole left by losing the runes. I know losing a bunch of runes early on sucks bad. A lot of us have sorta internalized that you're going to lose souls/runes/whatever currency these games have and probably more than 86k in the long run. You just sorta learn to expect it as part of the normal cycle.

If you were enjoying the game otherwise, it's probably a good idea to cool off, maybe play something else for a bit, but come back if you get the urge. Losing runes sucks, but it happens, it'll happen again, and it's always recoverable.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Trying to decide if I want to NG+ or NG, feel like NG would be more fun finding items and poo poo again and not just starting out with everything maxed out already? Does NG+ add anything unique or just scaled enemies (is the scaling challenging at all)?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Trying to decide if I want to NG+ or NG, feel like NG would be more fun finding items and poo poo again and not just starting out with everything maxed out already? Does NG+ add anything unique or just scaled enemies (is the scaling challenging at all)?

just scaled enemies. it's pointless unless you want to become an overleveled god and clown everything

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Most open world action rpgs are solitary games.

If you were expecting some MMO like experience, maybe play an MMO instead.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

McCoy Pauley posted:

I've been wondering this as well being around the same position. I have the Lusat Glintstone Staff upgraded to +6 right now and it has higher sorcery scaling than the Meteorite Staff at this point, and it does more damage on a single cast of a Glintstone spell than the staff, but I feel like between the higher FP costs from Lusat plus the gravity spell boost for Meteorite (since I spend so much time just slanging rocks) it's not clear to me that Lusat is better yet. Maybe if I shifted away from Gravity spells Lusat would be better (or when I upgrade Lusat more, if I could find more drat Somber Smithing Stones).

I also have this staff from the Academy that requires 60 INT, but haven't even tried that one yet. I think it boosts moon spells but I don't believe I have any of that magic yet.

I think you’re talking about the Carian Regal (the one you got from the Academy end boss, right)? That outpaces Meteroite at about +7 or +8. It’s the only one I bothered to upgrade, I went straight from Meteorite to that since it’s arguably the best staff in the game and you can get it relatively early.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

No. 6 posted:

If you are the sort of gamer who equates any sort of competitive or adversarial encounter as toxic grieving, yeah sure. Not sure if you are just a huge baby or an effective troll.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

Not really interested in playing a game where a random player can cause me to lose literally hours of progress for no benefit to anyone. Guess I made the right call to skip the previous games and know to avoid the future ones.

You can play through all the fromsoft games without opening yourself up to invasions.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

I switched to Carian Regal Staff after upgrading it to +7 iirc and that's what I beat every late game boss with. In retrospect I probably should have saved the +10 upgrade for Lusat's but I had already had inveted in Carian Regal - it's also extremely easy to get since it's a rennala remembrance. But meteorite will last a long, long time if you want to save the stones for other weapons.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think you’re talking about the Carian Regal (the one you got from the Academy end boss, right)? That outpaces Meteroite at about +7 or +8. It’s the only one I bothered to upgrade, I went straight from Meteorite to that since it’s arguably the best staff in the game and you can get it relatively early.

Yeah, Carian Regal -- that's the one. So is that worth levelling up even if I'm not going to take advantage of moon magic?

When I got it I didn't have anything close to 60 INT and then sort of forgot about it. Maybe I should work on that one now, since I guess at some point I'll probably use something other than gravity magic

Just wish it was easier to get the drat Somber Smithing Stones I need in what I'm guessing is mid-game

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This Carian retaliation thing is as broken as everything says. I tested it on Malenia and beat her second try, because gently caress that fight. Now it’s time to bury this shield in a hole somewhere so I’m no longer tempted by this obscene power.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
The tension of having a poo poo load of runes you could possibly lose is one of the best things about any souls game.

The next time you’ll pay attention to your runes and be praying a site of grace is around the next corner. Your pain now will pay dividends in the future by creating a more tense and high stakes experience.

Losing a big chunk of runes doesn’t matter in the long run. The game will be slightly more difficult in the near term but the beauty of the system is future runes will inherently be more valuable since you’re at a lower level then if you’d spent the ones you lost. You’ll catch up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The slow trolls in Limegrave give 1000 runs each .

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It seems I'm frustrating myself as I don't understand all the mechanics.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, Carian Regal -- that's the one. So is that worth levelling up even if I'm not going to take advantage of moon magic?

When I got it I didn't have anything close to 60 INT and then sort of forgot about it. Maybe I should work on that one now, since I guess at some point I'll probably use something other than gravity magic

Just wish it was easier to get the drat Somber Smithing Stones I need in what I'm guessing is mid-game

There’s only like two moon magic spells so I wouldn’t worry about that part of it. Carian Regal’s scaling is just good for everything in general.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

No. 6 posted:

Grouping up is explicitly a way of making the game easier for the player, and invasions make it so doing as much has an associated cost.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of platforms, on PC I can run this game at 1440p, which is my monitor's native res, and most things at high or medium with some critical stuff tweaked down to low or off (motion blur always gets turned off in my games no matter what, I can't stand the effect). I am below specs via my i5 6600k but somehow my 1070 does enough heavy lifting that the game is perfectly playable and tbh doesn't feel noticeably worse than the game running on the series x.

What this tells me is that a) PC performance is a total crapshoot, and b) the console versions are hilariously unoptimized and there's zero reasons why they couldn't have a locked 60 fps version on the series x or the theoretical "PS5."

The joke suggestion that bluepoint should remaster their games before they're released seems less and less like a joke every day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

causticBeet posted:

If you are the sort of gamer who equates any sort of competitive or adversarial encounter as toxic grieving, yeah sure. Not sure if you are just a huge baby or an effective troll.

Eh, I think it's an understandable reaction, especially for someone's first From game. Doesn't make them a baby or anything. It's reasonable to assume the co-op is there to be a pure help to a player or to be an actual, full co-op mode and being invaded and losing a ton of runes is a particularly painful way to learn what the multiplayer actually is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Losing runes isn’t a problem after a certain point. Lose 100k. Lose 500k. You can get them back super quick by shooting the birds in hell like people have noted.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

There’s only like two moon magic spells so I wouldn’t worry about that part of it. Carian Regal’s scaling is just good for everything in general.

So bottom line I should just be looking for whatever gives me the biggest scaling number, which will equate to more damage from all spells?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I finally fed Gurranq all his nasty rear end dog food and it seems like his item descriptions are implying that Maliketh is his past self? Is Crumbling Farum Azula set in the past relative to the rest of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

This Carian retaliation thing is as broken as everything says. I tested it on Malenia and beat her second try, because gently caress that fight. Now it’s time to bury this shield in a hole somewhere so I’m no longer tempted by this obscene power.

i picked out a spot in caelid by a tree you can put it over there (lol great minds)

Cowcaster posted:

i noticed i picked up the carian retaliation ash somewhere so i put it on my buckler and broke a glintstone scrap just to see how well it fared against a miniboss i had missed in liurnia and i'm taking this off and burying it under a tree someplace lest its absolute power corrupt me absolutely