Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I just assumed it's like Mary Poppins.

You know what? Yes, that's exactly what it's like and I want you to have that expectation in mind when you watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

You know what? Yes, that's exactly what it's like and I want you to have that expectation in mind when you watch it.

I feel like I'm being set up and am now in "roll with the punches" mode.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If you want to know what to actually expect from the show the trailer does a decent job of it IMO but in short she's a jewish new york housewife in the 50s/60s who discovers she has a talent for stand-up after her husband leaves her and she gets drunk and does an open-mic night at a local club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmwkTrW4OQ

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

If you want to know what to actually expect from the show the trailer does a decent job of it IMO but in short she's a jewish new york housewife in the 50s/60s who discovers she has a talent for stand-up after her husband leaves her and she gets drunk and does an open-mic night at a local club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmwkTrW4OQ

Okay that sounds cool and explains the viral video. :sweatdrop:

e: gonna stop watching that trailer and watch the show, at least for a bit, later as a treat

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So many of our sexual dysfunctions come specifically from the Victorians though, so where did it start?

They probably were really weird about sex, but teens weren't being raised in absolute ignorance of it. And I imagine puritanical ideas of sexuality just made everything way worse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

watching a bunch of nathan for you, and the quality just drops hard

tricking idiot morning shows is fantastic, but the later episodes are so incredibly badly directed/cut. a second unit director would be ashamed of this. its supposed to look like a documentary, but all dialogues are shot cross whatever its called, over the shoulder. bring back whoever ran the first season, that was real well done.

e: okay i put on a season one episode & its cut the same way. so i dont know what the exact problem is with the later ones, but the earlier ones are just better made.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Mar 26, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Watched the new Halo show, and while it's a decent adaption of the game, they do the unforgivable and have Master Chief take off his helmet. That's just... no.

I was kinda pissed they didn't get the voice actor from the game for John.

I was pleasantly surprised at the plasma gun making random people go splat though.

I'm not holding out much hope for the show, but I'll give it more than a single episode before I consider it flaming garbage.

Was also not expecting the giant space vagina in the season opener of Picard either. Finally got to watch the first episode today and boy that's... not at all a subtle design.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've never played Halo so I don't know anything about the story/lore but it seems okay. I'll probably enjoy it, especially when they get to the ringworld (?) because I've been dying to see that concept portrayed in a high budget show. Hopefully they do the sense of scale justice.

I did roll my eyes hard when they went first person pov. It's a video game, get it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

drat. I thought that was more of a middle ages thing. Back when a chair or table was a sign of wealth and decadence and they had yet to invent the hallway.

Poverty in the victorian era was really loving bad.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

All this victorian sex chat started off with someone mentioning Bridgerton. Is it maybe worth bringing up that Bridgerton isnt actually set during the victorian era at all, but the earlier Georgian era/regency period?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Watched the new Halo show, and while it's a decent adaption of the game, they do the unforgivable and have Master Chief take off his helmet. That's just... no.

I was kinda pissed they didn't get the voice actor from the game for John.

I was pleasantly surprised at the plasma gun making random people go splat though.

I'm not holding out much hope for the show, but I'll give it more than a single episode before I consider it flaming garbage.

Was also not expecting the giant space vagina in the season opener of Picard either. Finally got to watch the first episode today and boy that's... not at all a subtle design.

gently caress yes they showed his face, and it owned. You can't do a 1:1 adaptation of the game(s) to TV, it would be too stupid. I surprised myself a lot by really liking it after watching it yesterday.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Biplane posted:

gently caress yes they showed his face, and it owned. You can't do a 1:1 adaptation of the game(s) to TV, it would be too stupid. I surprised myself a lot by really liking it after watching it yesterday.

The covenant weapons were loving brutal

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The new Halo show is in the Victorian era?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

No, regency era, pay attention

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taeke posted:

I've never played Halo so I don't know anything about the story/lore but it seems okay. I'll probably enjoy it, especially when they get to the ringworld (?) because I've been dying to see that concept portrayed in a high budget show. Hopefully they do the sense of scale justice.

I did roll my eyes hard when they went first person pov. It's a video game, get it?

There was a little ringworld in the mandslorian eps of boba fett

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
If they are going to show his face, they need to bring Rod Schneider on to balance it out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Braga finally got his dream?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I've only played the first Halo... maybe the second. Isn't it a big reveal at the end of the first one, or the second, or maybe loving the third or eleventh that Master Chief is in fact a robot?

That is also a plot twist in Bungie's earlier game Marathon.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

credburn posted:

I've only played the first Halo... maybe the second. Isn't it a big reveal at the end of the first one, or the second, or maybe loving the third or eleventh that Master Chief is in fact a robot?

Lol no. The big reveal in Halo is the forerunner ancient aliens were actually humans

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which I feel like you could have figured out by the opening scene of the first game tbh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

credburn posted:

John 117 aka the Master Chief has an established backstory that the games don't really go into, which it looks like the show is. Basically he and a bunch of other kids were kidnapped by the UNSC where they were experimented on to turn them into super soldiers. All the Spartans who made it out of the program were highly effective soldiers but the process was so dangerous and time consuming (and completely unethical) that they stopped after the first batch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

muscles like this! posted:

John 117 aka the Master Chief has an established backstory that the games don't really go into, which it looks like the show is. Basically he and a bunch of other kids were kidnapped by the UNSC where they were experimented on to turn them into super soldiers. All the Spartans who made it out of the program were highly effective soldiers but the process was so dangerous and time consuming (and completely unethical) that they stopped after the first batch.

No no no, they never stopped doing the Spartan experiments, they just changed the method. The first generation was adult volunteers from the military. Gen two was kidnapped kids put under massive amounts of genetic, surgical, and mental procedures to make them huge super soldiers. Third gen was also children, but with less dangerous procedures, because they were meant to be thrown into battle to fight and die in massive numbers. The fourth generation went back to using adult volunteers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Armacham posted:

Lol no. The big reveal in Halo is the forerunner ancient aliens were actually humans

Doesn’t that turn out to not actually be true through?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Doesn’t that turn out to not actually be true through?

I honestly don't remember. I'd have to read the wiki and you are not getting me to do that.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Precursors are older and basically tentacle-mouthed Chtulhu types, the Forerunners came after and are humanoid, the Ancestors are the humans that had a major foothold in the galaxy ~150K years ago

Really getting to the bottom of the barrel on the "those who came before" naming convention

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

So in the movie does mister chief's suit jack him off?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In Aladdin, the first time he meets Jafar as Prince Ali, Jafar calls him "Prince Abubu." Now, even six year old me recognized that Jafar was immediately suspicious of Aladdin and was trying to trip him up by getting him to respond to the wrong name

But then he keeps calling him that, even when he's alone or talking to Iago

So What the gently caress

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I always saw it as a sign of disrespect ‘you’re not important enough for me to remember your name’ then it just became what Jafar called him because he didn’t like him

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
He's also a minor problem for Jafar's plan. A thorn in his side. A boo boo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also his monkey's name is Abu

should have called him Ali A-blah-blah

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah he only realizes this guy in front of him is Aladdin when he sees the lamp on him, after he is confronted for trying to hypnotize the Sultan (holy poo poo how do I remember the scene so vividly)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Looking into it further, "Prince Abubu" would basically mean "Prince Daddy #1"

not sure how to feel about this, i would like to be corrected

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jafar is thirsty and angry about it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Be grateful he transformed into a giant snake and not something more hentai-ish.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Be grateful he transformed into a giant snake and not something more hentai-ish.
Buddy,

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jafar's first wish is to be Sultan of Ram Ranch.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
even as a kid I thought there was some poo poo going on in the palace if Jafar could get the loving guards to kidnap, chain up, and throw a visiting prince into water to drown. Like you would expect Aladdin to say something about that poo poo. It ain't a good sign if the guards, who weren't hypnotized and in fact seemed pretty loving happy, to kill a prince just because the creepy royal vizier said to.

That at least means that the guards don't listen to the Sultan or respect him. They do the man who signs their paychecks. Littlefinger was right.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Jafar was a Boomer and the height of comedy for boomers is 'gets your name wrong'. It's the Obongo/Drumph/Killary flavor of comedy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Captain Monkey posted:

Jafar was a Boomer and the height of comedy for boomers is 'gets your name wrong'. It's the Obongo/Drumph/Killary flavor of comedy.

Jafar is that weird mixture of totally lame and really loving rad that is extremely common in Disney villains. On the one hand, he is competent, dedicated and looks awesome. As mentioned above, he commands the guards and has to work around a manchild who barely seems potty trained.

On the other hand, he is a boomer and he is extremely vain and self-absorbed, which he kind of earned by always being the most competent and best-dressed guy in the room. The only thing I will hold against him is that he turns into a sex creep around Jasmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

even as a kid I thought there was some poo poo going on in the palace if Jafar could get the loving guards to kidnap, chain up, and throw a visiting prince into water to drown. Like you would expect Aladdin to say something about that poo poo. It ain't a good sign if the guards, who weren't hypnotized and in fact seemed pretty loving happy, to kill a prince just because the creepy royal vizier said to.

That at least means that the guards don't listen to the Sultan or respect him. They do the man who signs their paychecks. Littlefinger was right.

it wouldn't be out of place for a day to day ottoman Era assassination.