Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly surprised DW2 didn't dump into early access. But also lmao at this being full price.

I've been holding off on it because all the signs pointed to a bad release, which I guess I'm vindicated for. My main concern was that they weren't iterating on any of the previous game's features, the new ship designer looks like an upgrade but stuff like the UI and tech tree being basically a copy-paste is just mindboggling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Demiurge4 posted:

Honestly surprised DW2 didn't dump into early access. But also lmao at this being full price.

I've been holding off on it because all the signs pointed to a bad release, which I guess I'm vindicated for. My main concern was that they weren't iterating on any of the previous game's features, the new ship designer looks like an upgrade but stuff like the UI and tech tree being basically a copy-paste is just mindboggling to me.

yeah its basically the first game with a 3d skin

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean it's going to go on sale at some point. Folks who did jump in have really helped Matrix with the issues so there is that. Without them these changes may not have happened at all or may have happened on a much slower timeline.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Wow what heroes!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I don't like the word hero. God, icon, savior, these are much more appropriate words.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Splicer posted:

Yeah, I'd again say maybe a UI issue rather than a mechanics issue. It's OK for overpopulation to be objectively worse but for it to be fun gameplay you need some way to prevent or mitigate it and an easy way to know what planets are hitting tipping point. There are ways to mitigate it (colonise low suitability planets to offload the excess) but if there's a "sort planets by whether their income is trending upwards or downwards" button I'm not aware of it.

I'm extremely sceptical of whether the amount, size and speed of passenger ships are able to keep up with population growth, even at max tech.
I noticed a decent teekan planet kept growing _while_ a colonizer was loading 53M population, even a continuous stream of consecutively loading ships would be unable to prevent that single planet from growing. Now, that planet was at around the midpoint and had 10+% growth, but the AI will only buy a set amount of passenger ships per colony if it's the same as DW1, and that amount, given travel times, will just not be able to keep up with a decent suitability planet at near max.

But then, your state expenses won't grow linearly with the amount of colonised planets eighter, so it's mostly moot. What it might force you to is to backfill more planets in existing territory to keep up with the expenses of bases and ships to support that territory. Where a one planet-system at 75% pop was able to support it's own defense, you'll need two planets at 100% pop to pay for the same system defense infrastructure, and compensate for the reduced availability of luxuries. (The two planets might be at lower development than the one, because their luxury consumption might outstrip supply).

That is, I think a static empire will all habitable planets at 100% will probably be net positive in practice, the full planet penalties will just slow down the sustainable growth rate of expansion.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DW2 is getting patched like every other day, it'll be in a good state soon. The latest patch claims to fix fleet AI too:

"FLEET AND SHIP COORDINATION IMPROVEMENTS
- added full Prepare and Attack missions for fleets (attack, raid, capture, bombard). This is the default right-click fleet attack mission type and will also be used by automated fleets. Fleets will now automatically refuel (when need fuel) or waypoint (if need to regroup) before undertaking their attack mission. If they do not need refuelling or regrouping then they will attack the target directly. When refuelling or regrouping the fleet will synchronize their final jump to the attack target."

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah the patch rate is pretty amazing. I'm giving it a month or two before I pick it back up

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

queeb posted:

lmao oof. normal is close enough that its not a huuuuge deal but lol that hard drop off

Thankfully it seems that this is also going to be rectified soon.

Erik Rutins posted:

I see what you were talking about now and it's clear that especially with regard to Difficulty, we didn't factor in the effect of the additional corruption on high end colonies. We tightened up the economy a bit more shortly before release and thought we hadn't gone too far, but clearly we had. We'll fix that and rebalance the curve as soon as we can.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is Distant Worlds 2 worth picking up at full price? Had my eye on it for a while but the response seems pretty mixed so far

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DaysBefore posted:

Is Distant Worlds 2 worth picking up at full price? Had my eye on it for a while but the response seems pretty mixed so far

imo no, id refund if i could but i bought off a storefront for like 45 bucks so oh well. its fun but feels like an early access launch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DaysBefore posted:

It's jank, but fairly unique and fun, I'm happy with it but waiting for a few more patches would be sensible.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Pretty sure it’s actually cheaper than DW1 was on launch. DW1 wasn’t cheap until DWU came out on steam, as I recall. Whether it’s worth it is pretty subjective. There’s not really anything I’m aware of besides DWU that’s quite like it, but it does need some bug fixing, which seems to be happening at a pretty decent rate. For me it’s worth it in terms of playtime per dollar, but a large part of why I’m currently playing it in its buggy state over DWU is that DWU is really ugly and has a worse UI, especially having to scale it up for my 4k screens.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DaysBefore posted:

It'll be better later. I only bought it because there wasn't anything I preferred to be playing, and even so, crashes became so frequent that I decided to give it a break for a while before trying again.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

DaysBefore posted:

If you want to support the devs, yes.

The game has the bones to be the best 4x on the market. It also should have been in early access for 3-4 months. I'm having a lot of fun, except today I started getting an INSANE amount of crashes (which wouldn't be that bad if the autosave function worked as intended. I have it set to every 5 min, and I'm lucky if it fires every 13-14 minutes. They posted a manual hotfix today on the matrix boards so I appreciate the weekend work.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Half-wit posted:

You can peg your planet tax rate to 20%, going over that ups corruption. I'm not sure the math on that though, probably end up losing out on revenue.

I've just had taxes on auto, but just check and lol I'm at 41% tax. The problem is, my homeworld's tax income is basically my entire state budget so halving it would drop me in another hole.

Jel Shaker posted:

theres a button to retire the ship which i think does it

Yeah, I can now confirm this works; although there's no message about it, it really needs a "Hey, we took this ship apart and learned a bit about X, Y, and Z" popup.

Scuttling a base seems to give no tech though - unless anyone knows a different method?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I've just had taxes on auto, but just check and lol I'm at 41% tax. The problem is, my homeworld's tax income is basically my entire state budget so halving it would drop me in another hole.

Yeah, I can now confirm this works; although there's no message about it, it really needs a "Hey, we took this ship apart and learned a bit about X, Y, and Z" popup.

Scuttling a base seems to give no tech though - unless anyone knows a different method?

There is a pop up when you get tech from retiring a ship. Maybe the one you retired just didn’t have anything interesting? It doesn’t pop up until the ship actually reaches the base and gets retired, which can take a while from when you press the button.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DaysBefore posted:

If you want it, yeah, it’s not perfect but it’s being improved very rapidly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

chglcu posted:

There is a pop up when you get tech from retiring a ship. Maybe the one you retired just didn’t have anything interesting? It doesn’t pop up until the ship actually reaches the base and gets retired, which can take a while from when you press the button.

Odd - I retired 2 quite advanced ships which I found and didn't notice a popup for either, but I did notice a bunch of tech progress on relevant techs when I checked the research screen. I just opened the message log and scanned through it, nothing there either.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Well it crashed again and hasn't autosaved in the past hour despite being set to every 5 mins, so I think I am giving up until it's patched some more.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Odd - I retired 2 quite advanced ships which I found and didn't notice a popup for either, but I did notice a bunch of tech progress on relevant techs when I checked the research screen. I just opened the message log and scanned through it, nothing there either.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe the popup only happens if its enough to complete the tech or something. That may have been the case every time I've seen it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

chglcu posted:

Hmm, I wonder if maybe the popup only happens if its enough to complete the tech or something. That may have been the case every time I've seen it.

Yes, I think it's this.
The message is about a "breakthrough".
I also like the randomness of the high-end stuff you have to find through exploration, there seems to be more of it than in DW1.
Stuff that makes you immediately change up everything and completely change ship design strategy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any good tutorials or LPs for Songs of Syx? All the youtubers I've found so far are pretty bad at the game.

I was hoping to learn how to make a woodcutter work from watching youtube videos since I couldn't figure it out on my own.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Are there any good tutorials or LPs for Songs of Syx? All the youtubers I've found so far are pretty bad at the game.

I was hoping to learn how to make a woodcutter work from watching youtube videos since I couldn't figure it out on my own.

To make a woodcutter, mark a forest area you want, but also some empty space so you can place the storage item and auxiliary item to boost efficiency. Larger area increase the number of worker you can employ, but also needs more auxiliary items to reach 100% efficiency.

Woodcutter is more of a later game thing when you have wood consuming industry set up. It's relatively slow compares to just chopping down trees, but it doesn't use up the trees.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

There's a forums LP I haven't read yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Well it crashed again and hasn't autosaved in the past hour despite being set to every 5 mins, so I think I am giving up until it's patched some more.
ouch

Dilber posted:

If you want to support the devs, yes.

The game has the bones to be the best 4x on the market. It also should have been in early access for 3-4 months.
Pretty much this, with the caveat that "full price" meant "cheapest site on isthereanydeal that I already had an account for"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chglcu posted:

Pretty sure it’s actually cheaper than DW1 was on launch. DW1 wasn’t cheap until DWU came out on steam, as I recall. Whether it’s worth it is pretty subjective. There’s not really anything I’m aware of besides DWU that’s quite like it, but it does need some bug fixing, which seems to be happening at a pretty decent rate. For me it’s worth it in terms of playtime per dollar, but a large part of why I’m currently playing it in its buggy state over DWU is that DWU is really ugly and has a worse UI, especially having to scale it up for my 4k screens.

DW1 was like $120 for years, no discounts ever

steam has made gamers spoiled and weak

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 27, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

To make a woodcutter, mark a forest area you want, but also some empty space so you can place the storage item and auxiliary item to boost efficiency. Larger area increase the number of worker you can employ, but also needs more auxiliary items to reach 100% efficiency.

Woodcutter is more of a later game thing when you have wood consuming industry set up. It's relatively slow compares to just chopping down trees, but it doesn't use up the trees.

Thank you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's a forums LP I haven't read yet.

Thank you. This one? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953919

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

DW1 was like $120 for years, no discounts ever

steam has made gamers spoiled and weak

I try to get a dollar an hour out of video games, but I set the max at $60 (unless it's some sort of premium edition with extra stuff)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I ascribe to the Monkey Island rule -without- adjusting for inflation of common goods (as game prices have deflated)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Peanut Butler posted:

I ascribe to the Monkey Island rule -without- adjusting for inflation of common goods (as game prices have deflated)

This isn't advice directed at you or anyone in particular but I used to be a religious deal watcher that never bought games unless they were at least 50% off (or less than $30 to begin with) but a year or two ago I switched to only buying games I wanted to play immediately and paying full price if necessary. Before I was falling into a trap where I was spending more money on games because I would stock up on games I liked the look of but didn't want to play right away while they were on sale and then I would never actually play them, I would wait months or years to play games I actually wanted to play because I didn't want to pay full price or close to full price for them, and I was spending my own time keeping track of deals and managing lists on aggregator sites like isthereanydeal and psprices.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

whats the monkey island rule?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Never pick up anything you can't fit in your pants

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

whats the monkey island rule?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Seems like the autosave bug should've been a day one fix. It's probably much easier to fix than all these crashes and would make the crashing much less painful.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i have a stupid distant worlds 2 question

why does my spaceport which was built above a silicon planet (uncolonized) have a silicon shortage and 0 stock

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jinnigan posted:

i have a stupid distant worlds 2 question

why does my spaceport which was built above a silicon planet (uncolonized) have a silicon shortage and 0 stock
It has a silicon shortage because it has 0 stock. It has 0 stock because the game has decided that stocking silicon at that station is not a priority. Is that blue blob in the back a mining station? If so it's the one mining the silicon and your traders are grabbing it and shipping it places that aren't that station. If it's not then does your spaceport have a mining module? If it does I'd expect it to have some silicon, but if not it's not mining the planet it's just orbiting it. If there's no station with mining modules orbiting it then the only things mining it are independent miners and they're shipping it places that aren't that station.

e: the places that aren't that station are probably shipyards.

I looked closer at your image and none of this applies since it a) is mining and b) is a shipyard

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 27, 2022

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
DW2: Holy poo poo the Teekan start is godawful, you get a 10k cr upkeep terraforming device dumped on you in the first system, well before you can do anything approaching the level of sustainment required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

DW2: Holy poo poo the Teekan start is godawful, you get a 10k cr upkeep terraforming device dumped on you in the first system, well before you can do anything approaching the level of sustainment required

I didn't realize that could even spawn in your first system. The games I've seen it in, that's ended up being a great, high quality, colony world at least.