Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
got a notice that discover is closing my card, my oldest card. my fault for not using it for a long time. im going to call them tomorrow and beg for mercy. promise to spend and spend and spend on their nice card. fml lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Smythe posted:

got a notice that discover is closing my card, my oldest card. my fault for not using it for a long time. im going to call them tomorrow and beg for mercy. promise to spend and spend and spend on their nice card. fml lol

Unless it's a sizable chunk of your available credit, it's not that big of a deal for it to get closed. It stays on your record for a decade.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shroomie posted:

Unless it's a sizable chunk of your available credit, it's not that big of a deal for it to get closed. It stays on your record for a decade.

Oh cool. Didn’t know that lol

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've just read the last few pages so apologies if this is a repeat/common question.

I have a bunch of Amex points that I want to use for a vacation this summer- what's the best bang-for-the-buck way to redeem them?

The plans: Drive from Georgia to Maine, stopping in Virginia briefly to see family, attend a rally race in Bethel, throw a huge BBQ for a bunch of goons near Portland, and drive back, stopping again in Virginia.

The problem: We're not flying or staying in hotels (except for maybe a couple of nights in Bethel,) which I know give you the best value for points.

I know statement credits are the worst way to redeem points, but it's looking like I might have to do that since the major expenses for the trip are going to be gas and supplies for the BBQ. Or should I just save the points for when I do need to fly? (I have a very elderly grandfather in California and macabre as it might be I need to plan for his funeral.) We can afford the vacation without the points, but it's what I had been planning on using them for.

Any guidance is appreciated!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Amex MR points are designed for travel redemptions, and anything other than travel redemptions are a severe devaluation of those points. You'll be far better off just banking the points for when you need travel redemptions.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

I've just read the last few pages so apologies if this is a repeat/common question.

I have a bunch of Amex points that I want to use for a vacation this summer- what's the best bang-for-the-buck way to redeem them?

The plans: Drive from Georgia to Maine, stopping in Virginia briefly to see family, attend a rally race in Bethel, throw a huge BBQ for a bunch of goons near Portland, and drive back, stopping again in Virginia.

The problem: We're not flying or staying in hotels (except for maybe a couple of nights in Bethel,) which I know give you the best value for points.

I know statement credits are the worst way to redeem points, but it's looking like I might have to do that since the major expenses for the trip are going to be gas and supplies for the BBQ. Or should I just save the points for when I do need to fly? (I have a very elderly grandfather in California and macabre as it might be I need to plan for his funeral.) We can afford the vacation without the points, but it's what I had been planning on using them for.

Any guidance is appreciated!

It would be one thing if you were talking about Chase UR points that can be redeemed for a penny each or 1.25/1.5 cents with PYB, but Amex MR Points are worth like 0.6 cents as a statement credit. I would avoid doing that if at all possible.

Save them until you need to take a flight.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Shroomie posted:

It would be one thing if you were talking about Chase UR points that can be redeemed for a penny each or 1.25/1.5 cents with PYB, but Amex MR Points are worth like 0.6 cents as a statement credit. I would avoid doing that if at all possible.

Save them until you need to take a flight.

With the Schwab Platinum you can get 1.1 cpp cash (used to be 1.25 until late last year).

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Thanks, goons. That is the way I'm leaning right now. I might use points for the hotel stay in Bethel if I can find a participating property (it's pretty rural) but otherwise I'll just bank them for an eventual flight to California.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You have to use 10000 points to cover $60 in charges, but a $100 gift card to Bonvoy, Hilton, or Hotels.com is 14286 points. That's a heck of a savings.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also the Darden restaurants suck but if you're on the road and really trying to travel then all your options suck. You could get gift cards with your points and just eat at Olive Garden or Longhorn Steakhouse along your way. It's not great, but free food is free food.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm thinking about applying for Sapphire Reserve but I had a Sapphire Preferred in the past and it's not clear to me if, to get the Sapphire Reserve bonus, it needs to be 2 years since I got the Preferred signup bonus or 2 years since I closed that card. Can anyone clarify that for me?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm thinking about applying for Sapphire Reserve but I had a Sapphire Preferred in the past and it's not clear to me if, to get the Sapphire Reserve bonus, it needs to be 2 years since I got the Preferred signup bonus or 2 years since I closed that card. Can anyone clarify that for me?

it's 48 months since you got any flavor of Sapphire bonus.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone know how strict the application requirements are for the venture x? I got a CSP about a month ago and am considering getting the venture x too but don't want to waste a hard inquiry if there's an unwritten rule I'll run afoul of. Other credit metrics are good (high score, low utilization, no deliquencies)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Virtue posted:

Anyone know how strict the application requirements are for the venture x? I got a CSP about a month ago and am considering getting the venture x too but don't want to waste a hard inquiry if there's an unwritten rule I'll run afoul of. Other credit metrics are good (high score, low utilization, no deliquencies)

Capital One can actually be more lenient than some other approvals but they do not like churners, even with high credit scores

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
PayPal Key is getting discontinued on April 20th. RIP, was good while it lasted.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Is the AmEx Platinum worth churning for the signup bonus points? I got a 125,000 points for $6k spend offer.

The annual fee is $695 if you hold onto the thing so I definitely won't be doing that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Vox Nihili posted:

Is the AmEx Platinum worth churning for the signup bonus points? I got a 125,000 points for $6k spend offer.

The annual fee is $695 if you hold onto the thing so I definitely won't be doing that.

Amex points are difficult to cash out so I would only do this if you want to transfer them to one their airline partners.

(Note that as long as you have one Membership Rewards earning card, including the free no-annual fee Blue Business Plus, you can keep the points in your Amex account.)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

runawayturtles posted:

PayPal Key is getting discontinued on April 20th. RIP, was good while it lasted.

Really? That's a shame. There another way to pass through regular CC charges to Paypal for the reward category?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Really? That's a shame. There another way to pass through regular CC charges to Paypal for the reward category?

Doubtful, PayPal was eating a lot of swipe fees because of PPK. I doubt anyone else wants to jump in front of that train.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

I think it is.

Also I threatened to cancel mine and they are giving me $550 to keep it so…

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does the Schwab Amex have any downside to the Regular Amex Plat? I may try to get that/bonus MR points when my AF is due.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Residency Evil posted:

Does the Schwab Amex have any downside to the Regular Amex Plat? I may try to get that/bonus MR points when my AF is due.

I believe it's strictly better. But I don't think you can double up on the sign-ups bonus.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CubicalSucrose posted:

I believe it's strictly better. But I don't think you can double up on the sign-ups bonus.

Oh. Aren't the Schwab/Regular Amex treated separately?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

The Resy offer is 125k + 10x in restaurants for 6 months. I just got mine last month. I plan on keeping it, though.

Residency Evil posted:

No. This is also my plan.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh. Aren't the Schwab/Regular Amex treated separately?

Yes, they are. You can get both SUBs.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Hello, I was helpfully pointed to this thread from another sub forum where I asked about CC recommendations. Right now, I always use my credit union debit card for expenses but I've been thinking there would be some benefit to a credit card to get cash back and rewards, as I would plan to pay off the bill every month. I have had a "young adult" credit card for about a decade that I never really use and doesn't have any rewards or benefits. I have good credit and want something I don't have to worry about too much or spend too much time/effort on. From about 15 minutes of searching on Nerd Wallet and the OP here, it seems like Chase Freedom Unlimited or Citi Double Cash may be a good fit for me. Does that sound right to the "experts" itt? I have a moderate/low level of monthly expenses between groceries/eating out/drinks/entertainment/etc., often paying with the joint account debit card I have with my partner.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Hello, I was helpfully pointed to this thread from another sub forum where I asked about CC recommendations. Right now, I always use my credit union debit card for expenses but I've been thinking there would be some benefit to a credit card to get cash back and rewards, as I would plan to pay off the bill every month. I have had a "young adult" credit card for about a decade that I never really use and doesn't have any rewards or benefits. I have good credit and want something I don't have to worry about too much or spend too much time/effort on. From about 15 minutes of searching on Nerd Wallet and the OP here, it seems like Chase Freedom Unlimited or Citi Double Cash may be a good fit for me. Does that sound right to the "experts" itt? I have a moderate/low level of monthly expenses between groceries/eating out/drinks/entertainment/etc., often paying with the joint account debit card I have with my partner.

Those are the two basic ones that are generally recommended, yeah. If you buy a lot from Amazon, their Visa gives 5% back which is nice.

But regardless of perks, using a credit card instead of your debit card for purchases is highly recommended since dealing with fraud on a CC is so much easier than a debit card.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Discover It might also be a good choice. It's 5% on rotating quarterly categories (currently grocery stores and gym memberships, switching to gas stations and Target next month) and 1% on everything else. However for the first year they also double all the cash back you earn so it's really 10%/2% for a year.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shroomie posted:

The Resy offer

What's that??

E: Oh it's something AmEx owns

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Medullah posted:

Those are the two basic ones that are generally recommended, yeah. If you buy a lot from Amazon, their Visa gives 5% back which is nice.

But regardless of perks, using a credit card instead of your debit card for purchases is highly recommended since dealing with fraud on a CC is so much easier than a debit card.

Badger of Basra posted:

Discover It might also be a good choice. It's 5% on rotating quarterly categories (currently grocery stores and gym memberships, switching to gas stations and Target next month) and 1% on everything else. However for the first year they also double all the cash back you earn so it's really 10%/2% for a year.

I don't buy too much on Amazon and the rotating stuff/tracking rewards isn't quite what I'm looking for——so I think Chase seems like the one for me. Thanks for the input.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Chase Freedom Unlimited is a good workhorse card. 3% back for restaurants and drugstores can add up quickly alongside the 1.5% regular rate, and redeeming points isn't a hassle.

If you use Costco, their Citi card is a good, flexible option too. 4% gas, 3% restaurants, extra 2% in store, and it also serves as your membership card. Useful stuff!

If you want one card, no fuss no muss, I might go for the Fidelity or Wells Fargo 2% cash back card. The FNBO Evergreen is also a flat 2% cash back card, but I don't know anyone who uses it so :shrug:

The Citi Double Cash is always explained as "1% when you buy, 1% when you pay," which makes me wonder if that results in slightly less than 2%. If not, then that's a solid option too!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

You're right to be shy of big rotating categories for your first card. If you just want one card, the flat 2% on everything will work out to be the biggest total return, no matter how nice those bigger category numbers sound. Fidelity is a much better banking experience than Wells Fargo. Hard disagree on the Costco card being useful when there are so many cards that just give you that 2% everywhere, but maybe some people spend a ton on gas, idk.

If you don't want to do one of the credit union equivalents, get the Fidelity imo. The Chase Freedom Flex Unlimited or whatever it's called now isn't a bad option either, though.

Also it sounds like this isn't what you want, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that you can make way more money back just doing two big sign up bonuses per year and then putting said cards in a drawer. Might still be worth having the 2% card to use in between them, though

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Space Fish posted:

The Citi Double Cash is always explained as "1% when you buy, 1% when you pay," which makes me wonder if that results in slightly less than 2%. If not, then that's a solid option too!

It is slightly less than 2% if you take the reward as a statement credit. You can take it as a deposit to the bank account you use to pay the bill, though, and if you do it that way it's a full 2%.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Didn't they change a bunch of the stuff that made it attractive in the first place, though? Citi doesn't have the best reputation for service outside of that card, and they removed everything like price rollback from said card, so when there are other options available I don't see the appeal of letting them keep half your payout for a while or pay you less if you want statement credit. Not for anyone shopping around who isn't already an existing customer, anyway

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Didn't they change a bunch of the stuff that made it attractive in the first place, though? Citi doesn't have the best reputation for service outside of that card, and they removed everything like price rollback from said card, so when there are other options available I don't see the appeal of letting them keep half your payout for a while or pay you less if you want statement credit. Not for anyone shopping around who isn't already an existing customer, anyway

Totally agree, Citi CS is poo poo and I wouldn't recommend it, especially over Fidelity, the CU 2% cards, or even CFU. There are still lots of people that have the Double Cash, though, and a bunch that are probably getting 1.99% out of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saintonan posted:

Totally agree, Citi CS is poo poo and I wouldn't recommend it, especially over Fidelity, the CU 2% cards, or even CFU. There are still lots of people that have the Double Cash, though, and a bunch that are probably getting 1.99% out of it.
Doesn’t Fidelity make you deposit the 2% in an account with them?

I still use the Double Cash as my primary 2%. :ohdear:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn’t Fidelity make you deposit the 2% in an account with them?

Yes, and that account can be a money market account, which is functionally a checking/savings account. You can transfer the money from there or use it toward a card statement.

Combine that with Fidelity's no-fee ATM card and you've got a great combination. You could get the 2% back in cash from another bank's ATM.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fidelity is also very fast with ACH in or out of that cash management account.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, I think the only one more convenient than Fidelity is PenFed, because it can be set to auto redeem for you into whatever account you want, no minimums. But you have to be military or leave $500 in a checking account with them to get the full 2%, so choose your catch

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Has anyone tried Bilt for rent payments? Seems too good to be true - they'll mail a check to your landlord (like Plastiq), no fees (unlike Plastiq), and you earn points for rent payments which could be like $500/yr in cash back. You also need 5 non-rent transactions per statement period to earn points, no minimums

I signed up and was instantly approved for their MasterCard, but trying to setup automatic rent payments requires "BiltProtect" which immediately debits your checking account for the amount of your rent right when the payment goes through. You still earn points but lose the "benefit" of carrying rent as unpaid balance for up to a month (or longer if you loving love interest payments)

They apparently don't require BiltProtect if you manually pay every month, but you can't schedule that, so I can't actually try it until the end of April.

Anyway here's my referral link in case anyone wants to try it out: https://bilt.page/r/LUKE-I08DR

pzy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

"DoorDash posted:

• Starting April 1, 2022 Sapphire Reserve Consumers will receive $5 per month DoorDash credit.

• If the credit is not used within the calendar month, it will be carried over for a maximum of 2 months.

• Up to $15 in credit can be accrued before a $5 credit expires.