Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Danish government is having a press conference announcing an expected 100,000+ refugees from Ukraine.

The first press questions are making me think that the recent empathy for Ukrainian refugees is officially over, and we can return to our regularly scheduled anti-immigrant politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Danish government is having a press conference announcing an expected 100,000+ refugees from Ukraine.

The first press questions are making me think that the recent empathy for Ukrainian refugees is officially over, and we can return to our regularly scheduled anti-immigrant politics.

Danes: "Ok but how many of them are carrying jewelry or watches that we can steal liberate?"

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The youth wing of the Danish conservatives (briefly) held the position that membership of LGBT+ Denmark was grounds for exclusion.

They've done a complete 180 since this morning, and no one from either the main party org or the youth wing itself has any comments.

Not that it makes a difference but in case anyone didn't know, the leader of the party came out as gay in 2014, shortly before being elected.

in short: lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lilljonas posted:

Danes: "Ok but how many of them are carrying jewelry or watches that we can steal liberate?"

They're exempt from that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

They're exempt from that.
First Romani refugee from Ukraine, and we'll be confiscating all belongings refugees can't show provenance for dating back at least 100 years.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

First Romani refugee from Ukraine, and we'll be confiscating all belongings refugees can't show provenance for dating back at least 100 years.
yeah this.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

The youth wing of the Danish conservatives (briefly) held the position that membership of LGBT+ Denmark was grounds for exclusion.

They've done a complete 180 since this morning, and no one from either the main party org or the youth wing itself has any comments.

Not that it makes a difference but in case anyone didn't know, the leader of the party came out as gay in 2014, shortly before being elected.

in short: lol

I mean, lol, but isn't the point that that LGBT+ Denmark is a known leftist extremist organisation incompatible with conservative values such as "being gay is fine, as long as you otherwise conform to heteronormativity"? Like, Pape might be gay, but he's not exactly flaming.

It's an extension of homosexuality having become so accepted that some gay cismen have forgotten that they were a minority, and now they just go all in on being anti-queer because gently caress you, got mine.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Oh for sure, and the original statement from conservative youth made it clear that the decision was about opposing the leftist stance of another org, but it did not make it clear that it WASN'T also about lgbtq issues in general. Just piss poor communication and optics, even considering it's a youth-led group.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

jeebus bob posted:

Oh for sure, and the original statement from conservative youth made it clear that the decision was about opposing the leftist stance of another org, but it did not make it clear that it WASN'T also about lgbtq issues in general. Just piss poor communication and optics, even considering it's a youth-led group.

Not the worst optics KU has ever put on display, to be fair.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Ok so Nye Borgerliges youth wing just decided to fill the recently vacated niche by releasing a copy-paste of the offending statement but with their own name at the top.

Not particularly surprising really, since NB's political philosophy is to troll for attention by saying the most dickish thing at the most opportune time, but I hate how good they are at it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

jeebus bob posted:

Ok so Nye Borgerliges youth wing

That is not the preferred nomenclature, dude. "Jugend", please.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate election year.

M(orons) posted:

Att socialdemokraterna inte arbetar stenhårt för Sveriges bästa är problematiskt. Men det viktigaste för M är att sänka drivmedelspriset med minst 5 kronor vid pump. Det kan man göra på olika sätt”, säger Elisabeth Svantesson i en kommentar till TT.

Never mind the fact that the EU said "lol no you can not lower the taxes below the agreed upon EU lower bound, idiots". WE DEMAND IT.

I guess Swexit is back on the table, if this is the hill the right wants to die on.

E: also laffo at the implications that M needs S to be the adult in the room, since they themselves are busy prioritizing fossile fuel.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 26, 2022

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1507686173002670091
I figured things were bad, but I didn't think it was "lmao, almost as many dead swedes (per capita) as the rest of the nordic countries put together".

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

I hate election year.

Never mind the fact that the EU said "lol no you can not lower the taxes below the agreed upon EU lower bound, idiots". WE DEMAND IT.

I guess Swexit is back on the table, if this is the hill the right wants to die on.

E: also laffo at the implications that M needs S to be the adult in the room, since they themselves are busy prioritizing fossile fuel.

Elisabeth Svantesson is incredibly dense, but not denser than the voting public.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mymla posted:

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1507686173002670091
I figured things were bad, but I didn't think it was "lmao, almost as many dead swedes (per capita) as the rest of the nordic countries put together".

A lot of this confirms what I felt throughout the pandemic, and states certain aspects about Swedish culture that I’ve witnessed but couldn’t put into words without sounding insane*.

I also wonder as to how COVID is/was handled is indicative of a greater issue within government and related agencies, because much like a cockroach, if you see one, there are far more lurking in the shadows.

Anyhow as I live on planet earth, I know little is going to change or get better. But, at least this is out there and collated in a fairly approachable way.

Nonetheless, does anyone have any more resources in reading about Sverigebilden?

*I could also just be insane regardless

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The whole mess has been so staggeringly stupid, even by swedish "standards". I'm not in any way surprised of anything anymore. :cripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NAzfX3fljs

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cleptocracy planners baffled: making a huge hospital of mostly glass, with no bomb shelters, and instead pocketing money through grifts might be a bad idea when you neighbour countries that loves bombing hospitals.

https://www.dn.se/sverige/nybyggda-nya-karolinska-saknar-skyddsrum/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

A lot of this confirms what I felt throughout the pandemic, and states certain aspects about Swedish culture that I’ve witnessed but couldn’t put into words without sounding insane*.
LOL every one of my expat friends has either messaged me going "SEE? SEEEEE????? I AINT CRAZY!" or has received the equivalent message from me.

teen witch posted:

I also wonder as to how COVID is/was handled is indicative of a greater issue within government and related agencies, because much like a cockroach, if you see one, there are far more lurking in the shadows.
Let's put it this way, after we saw how the guv handled covid our emergency/contingency planning+preparedness has changed *drastically*.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 28, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hopefully those plans include skyddsrum in Nya Karolinska hospital or else that would look really irresponsible!!!!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wait, Tegnell's supposed new WHO job doesn't exist? What the gently caress is going on? :lmao:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Wait, Tegnell's supposed new WHO job doesn't exist? What the gently caress is going on? :lmao:
I've been cackling all weekend.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SplitSoul posted:

Wait what? Did he lie about getting another job? Why would he do that?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Let's put it this way, after we saw how the guv handled covid our emergency/contingency planning+preparedness has changed *drastically*.

I wonder if it’s similar to how we reacted after the last global disaster, the 2008 financial crises? By similar I mean; put the same idiots that caused the devastation in the fist place in charge of the survival of the planet, using the exact same logic and tools. The laughably ineffectual, neoliberal (but I repeat myself), co2 quotas. Tegnell WHO? No? I guess we should be thankful.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kamrat posted:

Wait what? Did he lie about getting another job? Why would he do that?

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/fhm-det-var-ett-missforstand

quote:

Härom veckan meddelade Folkhälsomyndigheten att Anders Tegnell lämnar uppdraget som statsepidemiolog för att i stället arbeta med vaccinfrågor åt Världshälsoorganisationen (WHO). Nu backar myndigheten.

– Vi trodde att det var klart men det var det inte, säger presschefen Christer Janson till Expressen.

Janson säger att det var ett missförstånd som låg till grund för att myndigheten den 9 mars gick ut med nyheten om Tegnells nya uppdrag.

– Det är en mycket längre process att få det här klart än vad vi trodde. Det var ett missförstånd och vi beklagar detta, säger han till Expressen.

Nyheten fick stor uppmärksamhet, både i Sverige och internationellt. Tegnell sade att han såg fram emot uppgiften och att han skulle börja jobbet redan följande måndag, den 14 mars.

– Jag har länge haft ett intresse för internationella frågor och det här var en fråga man inte kunde tacka nej till, sade han till TV4:s Nyheterna.

Men i tisdags avslöjade Svenska Dagbladet att jobbet ännu inte finns.

– Vi har fått ett erbjudande från Sverige som fortfarande är under diskussion, sade talespersonen Fadela Chaib till SvD.

Beskedet från Sverige har skapat förvåning och förvirring inom WHO i Geneve, skriver tidningen.

Folkhälsomyndigheten uppger att det är WHO som har efterfrågat expertstöd och att man efter dialog med regeringskansliet beslutat att utse Tegnell.

Samtidigt uppger socialdepartementet att regeringen inte ”har någon formell roll i detta”, enligt nättidningen The Geneva Observer.

Enligt Folkhälsomyndighetens första besked hade Tegnell utsetts till senior expert i en ny grupp som ska samordna arbetet mellan WHO, FN:s barnfond Unicef och vaccinorganisationen Gavi.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Lol, lmao even. I hope he never gets work outside Sweden.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Thanks... lol at everything

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

Lol, lmao even. I hope he never gets work outside Sweden.

...Or in

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would hope that WHO is aware of recent events enough that they wouldn't even invite Mr. Llenget from Sweden to personal interview. Really he should be hiding in Argentina with Dr. Mengele at this point.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nenonen posted:

I would hope that WHO is aware of recent events enough that they wouldn't even invite Mr. Llenget from Sweden to personal interview. Really he should be hiding in Argentina with Dr. Mengele at this point.

WHO hasn't exactly shown itself to be the quickest on the uptake regarding COVID. It wasn't until this month they officially recommended boosters.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SplitSoul posted:

WHO hasn't exactly shown itself to be the quickest on the uptake regarding COVID. It wasn't until this month they officially recommended boosters.

Which is quite understandable when a large share of the world still haven't had their first shots. Rich countries are only looking after their own population which leaves the virus spread and evolve freely in the third world.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nenonen posted:

Which is quite understandable when a large share of the world still haven't had their first shots. Rich countries are only looking after their own population which leaves the virus spread and evolve freely in the third world.

True, but it's not like abstaining would magically transfer those doses abroad, loving over the global south (again) was decided upon over a year ago.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Isn't this after all pyrrhic, since the government found its own response to be completely fine? I mean I feel like these last 2 years were a turning point for just about any expat in Sweden in realizing that the Swedish government isn't what they thought it was. But looking even at the authors of the paper, it seems to be mostly written by expats, and looking at the criticism it has received, it's largely from nationalists and not in the traditional right-wing nationalist concept, but something a bit more spread out politically.

Although Jesus Christ remember that guy who got Tegnell's face tattooed on his arm?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

fnox posted:

the government found its own response to be completely fine

It didn't, though.

fnox
May 19, 2013

TheFluff posted:

It didn't, though.

Sorry, should’ve said “fundamentally correct”.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fnox posted:

Sorry, should’ve said “fundamentally correct”.
The group in charge of evaluating it tore everyone new assholes IIRC (just not to the tune of that nature paper, because can't lose face).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

BonHair posted:

I honestly believe it's a conflation of anti imperialism and anti Americanism. Opposing American cultural hegemony is a good cause, but you can't just assume that anyone who shares that goal is an ally. Especially if it's a literal fascist state like Russia (or China).

Joe Biden said he would stop US assistance of the Saudi war in Yemen. He lied of course. The UN estimates that 250.000 children have died due the Saudi blockade (and bombings) of Yemen. Everything 100% backed by the US (and Swedish military equipment).

Do you think it’s a coincidence that you’re very worried about Putin and Xi Jinping and not Mohammed bin Salman?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Joe Biden said he would stop US assistance of the Saudi war in Yemen. He lied of course. The UN estimates that 250.000 children have died due the Saudi blockade (and bombings) of Yemen. Everything 100% backed by the US (and Swedish military equipment).

Do you think it’s a coincidence that you’re very worried about Putin and Xi Jinping and not Mohammed bin Salman?

Putin controls a (currently) essential piece of European energy production and Xi controls most electronic components and a bunch of other stuff that Scandinavia depends on. Al-Saud may control a bunch of oil production, but we are not dependent on him in quite the same way, not least because we don't have stationary infrastructure (gas/oil pipes) connecting us. Also he doesn't have nukes, but that's less important actually.
I'm not worried (in the sense of being afraid) about Saudi Arabia because, big picture, they aren't a threat to me

Of course, I absolutely agree that what's been happening in Yemen for years is probably orders of magnitude worse than Ukraine, and we should absolutely stop sending weapons, supporting them and just stop trade relations altogether. But that has nothing to do with Putin being a real threat to Scandinavia.

Also, can we put Biden/USA on the list of states to worry about?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hedenius posted:

Also 13,000 newborns dead from malnutrition in Afghanistan since January, because Biden seized the country's currency reserves on the rear end end of the U.S.'s own disastrous war. Spreading them freedoms and liberal democratic values, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

Also, can we put Biden/USA on the list of states to worry about?

WAAAAAAY ahead of you on that one