Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

happyhippy posted:

Same, 44 and doing a customer support job for nearly 15 years now.
I keep getting entry levels for other cs jobs, which I will not do after I leave here.

Linkedln is great for reading articles from absolute gobshites though.

Say you are a senior customer success manager, or even an account manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jiggerypokery posted:

Say you are a senior customer success manager, or even an account manager.

I meant I dont want to be in CS again after this.
gently caress that poo poo, humans are bastards.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AlanJonesPA/status/1507674591220670464?s=19

Lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

haha

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol good, gently caress 'em

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s a funny thing: there is a level of seniority above which you can only get hired if you’re very honest and blunt with your future employer but it’s like really high. So at some point in your career you need to switch to a laser-like focus on objective reality but nobody says when that is and you only get the opportunity after playing the game for a long time. Or you jump down to a smaller company where you’re closer to the decision-makers.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

"My current employer considers that information financially sensitive, and asked us not to share that information, so I'm trying to respect that". It's an obvious lie, but if they pursue it further they look unprofessional

You don't even have to do that. You can just say no. 30 seconds on glassdoor and google will tell you the going rates for your profession at your level, and you simply tell the recruiter that you know the going rates and look forward to discussions about roles that pay within that gamut.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They finally did it, they disrespected the binmen.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexkealy/status/1507706915912138753

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
These are bonkers

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1507005846701568006

https://twitter.com/wyattreed13/status/1507555204371255298

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Now we know why Boris was desperate to get to Ukraine, Biden's speech that is live at the minute is pretty drat inspiring.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

Now we know why Boris was desperate to get to Ukraine, Biden's speech that is live at the minute is pretty drat inspiring.

That seems unlikely. Biden almost accidentally declared war the other day by telling the 82nd Airborne that they were going to Ukraine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/willdizard/status/1507495412944543745

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The fundamental problem is the moment we cracked structural steel and reinforced concrete form no longer had to follow function. Architecture was as much about the available materials and their limitations as it was about a grand vision.

Westminster Abbey, as we're in the neighbourhood, looks the way it does because that was the only way they knew how to make a building that massive. The twiddliness of Norman/Gothic architecture is that way because you couldn't make a tall, straight wall strong enough to avoid being pushed apart by the roof without making it castle-thicc, so you needed buttresses, which leaves voids that you can't really avoid the temptation to fill in with statuary, and flying buttresses which themselves often need their own buttresses, and basically twiddliness is unavoidable at that point.
I think the thing about the statues and the grotesques and the chimerae and the stained glass and the occult doodles is that they're all functionally useless. And that's fine, because it means they were put there out of joy, because they were wanted. None of it was necessary, you can just stick a table and a cross in a brick double garage, it's allowed, ask the Methodists (or look at the many private chapels of the landed in the High Middle Ages), but someone really wanted lions with fish tails and guys holding bishop sticks and so on.

Architecture overcoming material limitations should have allowed for a vast increase in that type of decorative joy, you can CNC a stained glass in a few days that would have taken a glazier years, you can powder marble and mix it with resin and cast angels and demons and greengrocers and whatever you want over the course of a few weeks that would make Michelangelo weep.

Portcullis House on the other hand looks like a cathedral that was designed by half a dozen Puritans being held against their will. The basic theme is there but nobody wanted to do anything with it. There's not even any gawping Michael Gove busts along the roof directing rainwater.

Columns may be fash, but I'd honestly prefer a Palladian Temple of Brexit centered on a 17 foot cast marble resin statue of Boris Johnson in laurels and a toga than the kind of low effort luxury flat investment opportunity temples to the real imperial cult of property speculation that spring up like fruiting bodies from a rotten joist, where no decor or joy or hope is allowed because the feckless leeches buying them up need a blank canvas to project their individuality by doing them all up like Donald Trump's shitter. At least the Spaffenon would be a public space without temporal utility (lol no it'd have an entrance fee and five gift shops, something something neoliberal obsession with production).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
if biden remembered where he was and managed to go the whole speech without groping someone then he was already batting better than his averages

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also
https://twitter.com/RuairiWood/status/1507503568072368128

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/willdizard/status/1507495412944543745

I think the thing about the statues and the grotesques and the chimerae and the stained glass and the occult doodles is that they're all functionally useless. And that's fine, because it means they were put there out of joy, because they were wanted. None of it was necessary, you can just stick a table and a cross in a brick double garage, it's allowed, ask the Methodists (or look at the many private chapels of the landed in the High Middle Ages), but someone really wanted lions with fish tails and guys holding bishop sticks and so on.

Architecture overcoming material limitations should have allowed for a vast increase in that type of decorative joy, you can CNC a stained glass in a few days that would have taken a glazier years, you can powder marble and mix it with resin and cast angels and demons and greengrocers and whatever you want over the course of a few weeks that would make Michelangelo weep.

Portcullis House on the other hand looks like a cathedral that was designed by half a dozen Puritans being held against their will. The basic theme is there but nobody wanted to do anything with it. There's not even any gawping Michael Gove busts along the roof directing rainwater.

Columns may be fash, but I'd honestly prefer a Palladian Temple of Brexit centered on a 17 foot cast marble resin statue of Boris Johnson in laurels and a toga than the kind of low effort luxury flat investment opportunity temples to the real imperial cult of property speculation that spring up like fruiting bodies from a rotten joist, where no decor or joy or hope is allowed because the feckless leeches buying them up need a blank canvas to project their individuality by doing them all up like Donald Trump's shitter. At least the Spaffenon would be a public space without temporal utility (lol no it'd have an entrance fee and five gift shops, something something neoliberal obsession with production).

It feels a lot, sometimes, like people design buildings purely to be looked at from a distance, and also in an endless void, rather than to exist within and around.

And that is true of columned horrors too, it remains my abiding impression of Edinburgh, being that it is a city that loving hates its inhabitants because the entire architectural scheme of the city center is "not for you, gently caress off"

Honestly I think you could make much better buildings if you fired all the architects and hired in the video game level designers. Even loving bathroom.wad is better than a lot of modern buildings and IMO a lot of big planned historical ones. And they would probably put in a lot more actually cool poo poo that is fun to see and walk around.

I dunno, I went to whitby again today and it's probably my favourite place I've ever been. The town conforms to the valley itself and it's full of little tiny alleys and tunnels and steps and you can just wind your way through it any way you like. I dodged the sea walking along the beach to go to work and picked up some small sea glass beads, then I went back up through a winding lane and took a tunnel through the hillside. And it's all at human scale, every bit of it is small and cosy and yet the whole thing is big and offers lots of opportunities for big beautiful views.

I've never gotten on with a lot of architecture. So much of it just feels like containing space for the sake of it. Like stupid american houses where they're just giant cavernous rooms with a sofa on one side to try and make it look used. Except you go further back and they slap a million columns in and tile the floor.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 26, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

And those 4 people pay the papers to constantly tell the public that this is not only fine, but good actually, and if you think it should be different then you're naïve / dangerous / gay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, I went to whitby again today and it's probably my favourite place I've ever been. The town conforms to the valley itself and it's full of little tiny alleys and tunnels and steps and you can just wind your way through it any way you like. I dodged the sea walking along the beach to go to work and picked up some small sea glass beads, then I went back up through a winding lane and took a tunnel through the hillside. And it's all at human scale, every bit of it is small and cosy and yet the whole thing is big and offers lots of opportunities for big beautiful views.
I want to visit Telford Town Park at some point (like probably during summer). The entire premise is that it was created as a space for the working class of the new towns in the West Midlands to just enjoy without being expected to be doing anything in particular, which is completely at odds with the attitudes before (but they should be working) and after (but how does it make money) and it keeps coming up at the top of the list of parks that were created with that mindset during the postwar social contract, so obviously a decent amount of thought went into it.

Places like that which just exist organically without anyone deciding that they should are cool too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

I've never gotten on with a lot of architecture. So much of it just feels like containing space for the sake of it. Like stupid american houses where they're just giant cavernous rooms

That's not architecture

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They have columns tho

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Back to the drawing board to see if I can add some columns to my place

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I want to visit Telford Town Park at some point (like probably during summer). The entire premise is that it was created as a space for the working class of the new towns in the West Midlands to just enjoy without being expected to be doing anything in particular, which is completely at odds with the attitudes before (but they should be working) and after (but how does it make money) and it keeps coming up at the top of the list of parks that were created with that mindset during the postwar social contract, so obviously a decent amount of thought went into it.

Places like that which just exist organically without anyone deciding that they should are cool too.

We have Nene Park here in Peterborough which is like that. Designed as part of the grand development plan for the New Town as an all-purpose space - nature reserve, managed farm, public garden/plant nursery, fishing lake, woodlands, art trails, playing fields, boating lake, watersports, two steam railways, camping/glamping, performance spaces and loads of big open green space for informal/impromptu recreation.

With the possible exception of the cathedral + close it's by far the best thing in the city and is one of the few aspects of the original New Town plan that hasn't been trampled on in the past 25 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Looking it up it reminds me of pallister park from when I was a kid, they even have the giant rope pyramid for you to climb like we did. Used to absolutely love that place, just a bunch of adventure playgrounds in a park.

You can make cool big landscapey stuff too, I always quite liked the square between the courthouse, town hall, and library in boro, it has a big fountain you can climb into and some benches and a quite nice walk down past the art gallery, and the courthouse has a neat water feature and is raised up from the rest of the land too.

I think I would quite like stuff like that in cities but I like them because the sun and sky are doing most of the work, I guess. It has the big columned library and the gothic town hall and the weird 70's black stone and glass registry office but because the space is more open than the rest of the town it feels like a respite, if you're not too close to the road anyway. And if it's a nice day, it's less pleasant in normal weather whereas I still enjoy smaller, more organic spaces even then.

I think that's why I quite like big bare concrete spaces, because the blankness of the concrete causes you to focus on smaller things, like plants that have taken root and how big blank walls affect the light. I like architecture when it's either on a personal scale or when it's on a scale where it interacts with natural effects. Places like Fountains Abbey where there is a lot of built structure but it feels almost like a frame for the effects of light and grass and trees around it, somehow.

I don't know, it's hard to articulate why I like that but I absolutely hated Edinburgh. They are made of similar elements but made me feel very different ways. And I don't think it's just that edinburgh has lots of people either because whitby was absolutely packed today and even with covid it wasn't offputting.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The full 15 minute Priti Patel prank call is now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrwZBFukyw

:allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

15 mins more Priti Patel than I can face

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

15 mins more Priti Patel than I can face

emptyquote

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Priti Patel is one of those people you see videos just talking normally and she just seems nice, and then you read about literally any policy she's written or voted for and the act becomes so much more chilling.

It'd almost be more reassuring if she was a swivel-eyed lunatic like Thatcher but the disconnect between her beliefs and how she comes across is like the reveal moment in a horror film.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Considering the number of people I have had the misfortune of encountering who seemed nice and then went on to launch into unhinged screeds about immigrants or the gays or whatever, I am somewhat inured to it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Priti Patel... her beliefs

I don't think she has these

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I feel like priti Patel arguing with parking attendants would make a fantastic onlyfans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

pallister park
Abbey Park is probably the closest thing in Leicester, and there's some like Watermead on the outskirts, which had a cool rope bridge, but they seem smaller in scope.

Also the boating lake at Abbey Park is closed due to low water even though the entire River Soar runs through the whole thing, so unfortunately less of the "hasn't been trampled on in the past 25 years" bit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It feels a lot, sometimes, like people design buildings purely to be looked at from a distance, and also in an endless void, rather than to exist within and around.

This is the exact problem I'm talking about. I always get the impression that for the majority of buildings nobody involved even actually visits the site or even glances at anything more than a plan before they fire up the renders. The *extremely* awkward internal spaces in many modern buildings definitely reinforces this to me - they design the building from the outside in rather than making a good place to live then working out how to make it look interesting.

In fact I know in at least two cases in (you guessed it) E14 I know they *didn't even look at the ground plan*, or at least that's the only possible conclusion to draw. The first of these, the Landmark Pinnacle, on the former City Arms/City Price site - an absolutely tiny sliver of land between Westferry Road and Marsh Wall - got as far as presenting outline planning permission applications for a building covering the entire footprint of the site, because the owners - who'd paid £32 million pounds for the site - had misunderstood what they were actually buying:

The renders showed the entire area highlighted in green for the building itself, and a park in the red area - the little misery park being the most notable and consistent bit of Isle of Dogs architecture, because it's where they put all of the plant, site offices, etc when they're actually putting the building up. When it was pointed out they didn't actually own the purple area they enquired rather urgently about getting hold of it, and were somewhat annoyed to be told that the building already there was locally listed (and now Grade II* listed) as one of the very few bits of pre-war Port of London Authority infrastructure left and more importantly being it was actual, in-use critical infrastructure - it holds the pumps which recycle the water in (what's left of) the docks. Without them the whole area goes anoxic and stagnant in days, something likely to affect property values. It's estimated that redesigning the whole thing and losing 30% of the planned units for the site cost them almost 250m quid, shame.

The other example is if anything even more ridiculous:

This little blob of land, wedged between a major road and Billingsgate Fish Market, sold for £25m in 2012 to a company who wanted to put a 65-storey residential block there. They no doubt couldn't believe their luck - once the City Pride site went it was the closest available plot of land for development where you could build something that big (all of the other Brobdingnagian erections on the IoD involved buying and demolishing existing, often only 20-year-old buildings, at massive cost).

At the planning stage, objections were lodged by UK Power Networks, Centrica, Thames Water, BT and three other telcos, and Crossrail because they all had major mains/conduits/train tunnels under there. Not to worry, said the developers, we are confident we can work around this. It seems like it's only at this point they even noticed that it's reclaimed marshland, requiring extensive and deep piledriving, making building there incredibly tricky. They still demolished the McDonalds that had been on the site, vowing to come back with a plan to sink piles without knocking out the water/electricity/gas/internet for 100,000 people and most of the biggest banks in the world.

That was in 2015, no more planning applications have been submitted.

OwlFancier posted:

And that is true of columned horrors too, it remains my abiding impression of Edinburgh, being that it is a city that loving hates its inhabitants because the entire architectural scheme of the city center is "not for you, gently caress off"

Honestly I think you could make much better buildings if you fired all the architects and hired in the video game level designers. Even loving bathroom.wad is better than a lot of modern buildings and IMO a lot of big planned historical ones. And they would probably put in a lot more actually cool poo poo that is fun to see and walk around.

See I *like* Edinburgh, if only because 3-dimensional cities are a novelty to someone from a big old flood plain like me.

Also my current efforts in Landlord's Super suggest video game architecture still has a way to go.

OwlFancier posted:

Reminds me of Looe, which similarly feels like it just sort of grew out of the valley, there's not a single 90-degree turn in the place and the contrast (out of season, when it doesn't have the population density of Leicester Square) of the tight little warren of streets out to the massive vista of the sea is amazing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a lot of backseat architects in here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like that the unit for pumping around millions of gallons of lovely water in a big circle is helpfully labeled "Online College of Business and Finance"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't wait for elon musk to invent the pile-less skyscraper that has a tunnel boring machine on the bottom constantly digging up to keep the building from sinking and is actively stabilized via tension cables connected to a bunch of driverless cybertrucks.

Edinburgh's three dimensionality is less novel to me (again, whitby, the entire yorkshire coast, you can stand 600 ft from the sea and still piss into it) and also I take it as a personal affront because it keeps sneaking up on you. You are walking along a perfectly sane looking street and then one side of it just drops off and it turns out you're on a bridge fifty feet in the air.

Also the national museum is designed along similar lines because none of the loving walls or floors connect to each other, they've all got these horrible little gaps that exist purely to make it so that if I try to hug the wall, which is my usual response to being in a building taller than one storey, I get treated to horrible glimpses of infinity.

The entirety of edinburgh is a conspiracy to keep me, the sassenach, from going to scotland. And I am drafting my letter to the daily express as I post.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 26, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i have 37 6.5m piles for a bungalow

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Can't wait for elon musk to invent the pile-less skyscraper that has a tunnel boring machine on the bottom constantly digging up to keep the building from sinking
That'd make a good China Miéville type story with a slight change. The skyscraper has a tunnel boring machine on the bottom that digs down and the dirt is run through an automated factory in the middle that 3D prints new floors added to the top, so one day it's a 50 floor building with three basement levels, then a 50 floor building with four basement levels and the 50th floor is new and all the rest have gone down a number.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Can't wait for elon musk to invent the pile-less skyscraper that has a tunnel boring machine on the bottom constantly digging up to keep the building from sinking and is actively stabilized via tension cables connected to a bunch of driverless cybertrucks.

Edinburgh's three dimensionality is less novel to me (again, whitby, the entire yorkshire coast, you can stand 600 ft from the sea and still piss into it) and also I take it as a personal affront because it keeps sneaking up on you. You are walking along a perfectly sane looking street and then one side of it just drops off and it turns out you're on a bridge fifty feet in the air.

Also the national museum is designed along similar lines because none of the loving walls or floors connect to each other, they've all got these horrible little gaps that exist purely to make it so that if I try to hug the wall, which is my usual response to being in a building taller than one storey, I get treated to horrible glimpses of infinity.

The entirety of edinburgh is a conspiracy to keep me, the sassenach, from going to scotland. And I am drafting my letter to the daily express as I post.

This is funny because most Scots Edinburgh is a conspiracy to make sassenachs feel more comfortable in our country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stirling is nicer, I quite liked stirling, as is pitlochry. It has a very nice dam and fish ladder. Oh and fort william seemed nice when I saw it very briefly.

I have only been through glasgow on the motorway but I will have to go at some point I guess.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're making Edinburgh sound like a pretty cool place to visit. Like walking around a fromsoft level irl.