Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KNR
May 3, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

hungry for a lonely game. i want a game with as close to zero other characters as possible. spooky games sometimes fall into this and spooky is okay but it's not what i'm specifically after. ideally, i want to explore a place where people used to be and now they aren't. some games that have scratched this itch:

-- myst, all of them. plus several myst knockoffs like QUERN.
-- gone home and tacoma fit this too
-- the witness would fit this but i didn't like the gameplay
-- firewatch was almost there but had way too much dialogue
-- there's a lil indie game called Anemoiapolis that's basically liminal spaces: the game and i've never found a game that scratches this itch more.

anyway if anyone has any suggestions i will appreciate them. thanks and G*d bless.
Yeah, I think Outer Wilds is safely the top recommendation. Depending on how unimportant the 'this actually feels like a place people used to inhabit' aspect is and if you count hostile local fauna as characters, some more out there suggestions that have scratched a similar itch are Metroid Prime 1/2 and Legend of Grimrock 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Hey folks. I'm looking for something with a heavy focus on single character progress. Not looking for too much party management right now.

I like build diversity and playing things in the dumbest way possible just to see if I can slap together some kind of fun gimmick.

Some examples of games I've played way too much are Fallout: New Vegas, Slay the Spire, Risk of Rain 2, Pillars of Eternity, Path of Exile, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Neverwinter Nights.

Doesn't need to be super story-driven or anything, just something I can tinker with.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

Hey folks. I'm looking for something with a heavy focus on single character progress. Not looking for too much party management right now.

I like build diversity and playing things in the dumbest way possible just to see if I can slap together some kind of fun gimmick.

Some examples of games I've played way too much are Fallout: New Vegas, Slay the Spire, Risk of Rain 2, Pillars of Eternity, Path of Exile, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Neverwinter Nights.

Doesn't need to be super story-driven or anything, just something I can tinker with.

Caves of Qud

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hotdog feet posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Nova Drift
Hades
Jydge
Prey 2017
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
CrossCode

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kvlt! posted:

Caves of Qud

Seconding this. Really any quality roguelike will have good single character building, but Caves of Qud has a very wide range of creative character builds. And it has a slick presentation for a roguelike with a number of quality of life features, including disabling permadeath as an option. And phenomenal writing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ellen Ring has a lot of build variety and viable playstyles. It's also hard as gently caress and sucks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This has terrifying connotations

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

hungry for a lonely game. i want a game with as close to zero other characters as possible. spooky games sometimes fall into this and spooky is okay but it's not what i'm specifically after. ideally, i want to explore a place where people used to be and now they aren't. some games that have scratched this itch:

-- myst, all of them. plus several myst knockoffs like QUERN.
-- gone home and tacoma fit this too
-- the witness would fit this but i didn't like the gameplay
-- firewatch was almost there but had way too much dialogue
-- there's a lil indie game called Anemoiapolis that's basically liminal spaces: the game and i've never found a game that scratches this itch more.

anyway if anyone has any suggestions i will appreciate them. thanks and G*d bless.

Its definitley not for everyone, but The Void can feel extremely opresively lonely at times.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I apparently already owned Caves of Qud and i can tell I'm going to dump a lot of hours into that mess. I grabbed Nova Drift too because that game looks beautiful.

Thanks! Also hard pass on El Ring because I'm very bad at games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can also recommend Dungeonmans as a very solid goon-made roguelike with a well-tuned power curve and a lot of build options.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Tangledeep is another goonlike that is very accessible.

And TOME is all clown shoes murder hobos for as far as the eye can see

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Definitely Hades. Vampire Survivors might scratch that itch in small doses.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I cannot get into Hades for anything. I haven't even managed to unlock all the weapons. One of those situations where i know there's a great game there but i just can't get my brain to appreciate it.

Also just want to say that i played the poo poo out of Dungeonmans and anybody who hasn't bought it really should. Some real love went into that game.

Added Tangledeep to the list too. Sincerely appreciate the recs, folks.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I recently got into Hades after bouncing off it previously. For me, I needed to unlock the second dash and realize it is basically a game of dashing. Moving is dashing. The way you play sword is to dash-attack -> dash-attack -> special -> repeat. Fist is dash-attack -> attackx3 -> repeat. Bow is dash-attack (helps you position and the draw is faster). Etc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I couldn't get into Hades b/c I kind of hate isometic action games in general. I really like everything about Hades aside from that which is tough.

Looking for jamming neon retro revivals like:
- Space Invaders Extreme
- Space Invaders Infinity Gene
- Tetris Effect
- Luxor Evolved
- Pacman Championship Edition series
- Shatter
- Arkanoid DS

Or jamming neon puzzle games like:
- Gunpey 2006
- Lumines series
- Meteos series
- Every Extend Extra

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I couldn't get into Hades b/c I kind of hate isometic action games in general. I really like everything about Hades aside from that which is tough.

- Space Invaders Extreme
- Tetris Effect
- Luxor Evolved
- Shatter
- Arkanoid DS

Or jamming neon puzzle games like:
- Gunpey 2006
- Lumines series
- Meteos series
- Every Extend Extra

Double Dragon Neon, even has it in the name

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

- Space Invaders Extreme
- Tetris Effect
- Luxor Evolved
- Shatter
- Arkanoid DS

Nova Drift

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for a good racing game that can run on a lovely laptop. I love playing Hot Wheels Unleashed but my computer is in the shop for a few weeks so I'm looking for a fun racing game I can play on my little lovely school laptop. Any era/art style. Just wanna have fun with fast cars.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any games centered around acquiring interesting and varied mounts?

Don't say mount your friends.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Splicer posted:

...Forza?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

Do the acquired mounts need to be permanent?

If no, then Monster Hunter Rise.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Splicer posted:

No Man's Sky now lets you tame and mount its various procedurally generated monstrosities

edit: "interesting and varied" might be a stretch, they have a variety of looks but all control kind of the same

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

Legends Arceus.

Breath of the Wild.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for a good racing game that can run on a lovely laptop. I love playing Hot Wheels Unleashed but my computer is in the shop for a few weeks so I'm looking for a fun racing game I can play on my little lovely school laptop. Any era/art style. Just wanna have fun with fast cars.

Art of Rally requires a GPU, so maybe Absolute Drift: https://store.steampowered.com/app/320140/Absolute_Drift/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hotdog feet posted:

Neon Chrome

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kvlt! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/358270/Death_Rally_Classic/

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Splicer posted:

If MMOs qualify the main thing I hear people go on about when it comes to Guild Wars 2 is the mounts.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Phigs posted:

If MMOs qualify the main thing I hear people go on about when it comes to Guild Wars 2 is the mounts.

GW2 has good mounts but I wouldn't say it's centered around acquiring them. They're a feature in an expansion so even if you beeline for it, you're still playing the first few dozen hours mount free. Once you get there, there's only nine of them, and half of them are just handed to you in the course of the story (the other half are mostly cool fun journeys, though, if a tad grindy).

The mounts themselves open up a bunch of fun movement options (and they're all pretty different, unlike most MMO mounts which are just a speed boost), and they're well animated and whatnot, but they're mostly a feature to help you do other stuff rather than a core goal themselves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fair
I'm looking for a game where your mount type is important equipment I guess? Age of Wonders III or Planetfall would be good examples, where having a mount gives you things like jump attacks or flame breath or what have you. But like, realtime first/third person. Essentially the driving bits of Borderlands except across the whole game and instead of a car it's a dinosaur that spits acid.

Jack Trades posted:

Do the acquired mounts need to be permanent?

If no, then Monster Hunter Rise.
They don't need to be permanent no but it depends on why they're temporary. Ideally murdering them for parts is not a core gameplay mechanic. Murdering other, identical animals for parts is fine.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Legends Arceus.
Do you get to real time vinewhip things while riding a bulbasaur because if so that would be ideal!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

They don't need to be permanent no but it depends on why they're temporary. Ideally murdering them for parts is not a core gameplay mechanic. Murdering other, identical animals for parts is fine.

Core gameplay loop of that game is mounting monsters that AREN'T your murder target and using them to beat the poo poo out of your target.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I have a hankering for a specific feeling from a game:

I want to be able to grow a healthy, happy society (city, country, civilization, etc) through investment into its people and means of production. Interaction with neighbors via diplomacy/war is important, though not strictly required. The platonic ideal of this would be something like the Victoria series--you have a state with people, the people have their own living conditions where improvement in their material conditions and the state's means of production leads to a stronger state, the state exists in a world with neighbors, and options for advancement include population growth, internal development economically and technologically, diplomacy, and war.

Things I have played fitting this that I've liked:
Every Paradox game (Victoria II is good at this and Victoria III is basically what I'm looking for. The further away from the Victoria series you get the less ideal--EU4 and CK2/3 have less internal development)
Civilization series
King of Dragon Pass and sequel Six Ages
Distant Worlds (1, haven't played 2 yet)
Crisis in the Kremlin (and related games from that studio)
Endless Space 1 and 2

Stuff I liked with caveats:
Warsim (ultimately fairly war-focused and not sufficiently satisfying)
Realpolitiks 1 (good but not great, weird politics system where social democracy = creeping authoritarianism, lovely war system, didn't try 2)
Rogue State and Rogue State Revolution (too heavily story focused and short duration)
Suzerain (phenomenal but only lasts 1 presidential term)
Total War series (fighting is great but internal development ranges from poor to okay)
Democracy series (great internal development but no foreign policy at all, states shouldn't exist in vacuums)

Stuff I've tried that I didn't like:
Power and Revolution series (not great, horrendously buggy, re-released every year with no obvious improvements)
Supreme Commander series (ultimately very war focused without meaningful internal development)

I'm not looking for suggestions for games on a smaller scale like Rimworld or Kenshi where you're controlling groups of individual, selectable people. Likewise I'm not looking for games where you're controlling an army with a base building component (eg XCOM, most RTSs)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shadow Empire might be a little too military focused but the civ-building side is excellent. You manage your cities, resources, public and private economies, officers and counsels, etc. It's a REALLY great game. War is pretty necessary though, there's diplomacy and other stuff of course but you can't play without going to war.

From the games you've described you've liked, I think you'd really enjoy it. I love it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Workers & Resources?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Humankind is the newer 4x from Amplitude (Endless Space guys), and is an Earth-bound alternate historical game in the vein of the Civ series.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Shadow Empire might be a little too military focused but the civ-building side is excellent. You manage your cities, resources, public and private economies, officers and counsels, etc. It's a REALLY great game. War is pretty necessary though, there's diplomacy and other stuff of course but you can't play without going to war.

From the games you've described you've liked, I think you'd really enjoy it. I love it.

Played it, would put it into the "liked with caveats" section because it's so war heavy, but thank you for the suggestion.

grate deceiver posted:

Workers & Resources?

I suppose city-builders technically fall into what I've described, but not really looking for a city builder. Thank you, though.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Humankind is the newer 4x from Amplitude (Endless Space guys), and is an Earth-bound alternate historical game in the vein of the Civ series.

I've had my eye on it, although between Civilization, Endless Space, and Endless Legend, I feel like I've seen most of what this game would have to offer anyway. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

I know I'm being picky, it's just a very specific kind of thing I'm looking for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Have you looked into Victoria II mods? Kaiserraich, NWO, and Divergence were the ones I can remember. Might add some freshness to Vic 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
E: Whoops completely blanked that Surviving Mars is a paradox game

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 28, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Splicer posted:

E: Whoops completely blanked that Surviving Mars is a paradox game

They didn't mention it, and SM is pretty far removed from what people think of when they think "paradox game". Regardless, I second the recc if it's valid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The things that leap to mind immediately are Tropico and Anno. Tropico is a dictator simulator, but it is entirely optional to do any of the "mean" options, and you can just do your best to increase happiness and living conditions and please political factions to get reelected every time. Anno is more of an economic series of games where you're more building a series of factories. The Anno games set in the future allow you to create newfangled paradises, Anno 1800 has more stuff involving dealing with foreign nations. If you're up for older games, maybe Black and White 2? Where you can defeat your enemy gods by just making a city that's so much more pious and happy that other cities just convert on their own.

A lot of the other games I know of focus more on the negative side of things. Banished needs you to maintain a stable level of population. Frostpunk is about making your little colony of people out in the frigid wasteland survive the apocalypse, and the game makes a point of trying to push you towards morally questionable things that it will judge you about. There's also a neat little minigame where you send out explorers across the wasteland to acquire supplies or rescue more survivors.

There are some smaller scale games you might like such as the Kingdom series, which are about building a little community and steadily pushing back and destroying monsters that attack nightly, but the twist is that the entire game is played as a two dimensional sidescroller where the player is a monarch that goes back and forth plopping down money to recruit peasants and tell them what to build and getting them to generate revenue from hunting and farmingto keep things rolling. Two Point Hospital is about just managing a hospital, but even though you're managing it as a business (which is played more for a comedy angle), you're saving lives. Startopia is about building up a space station. Reus is about building synergistic combos with gods and numbers to grow a little civilization, but you're the only ones on the planet. And I think I've heard positive things about Egypt: Old Kingdom, but I never checked it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Bit of a deep cut, but I suggest giving Hidden Agenda a try. It's a 1988 nation sim that's mostly text-based. You should be able to find it as abandonware (though apparently the dev was sending free copies on request to whoever asked well into the 2000s provided they promised to give feedback afterwards). You're placed as interim president of a post-dictatorship Latin American nation in the late Cold War and you must try to bring the country forward from the shadow of its former tyrant in your limited time in office. The game's infamously hard (you WILL get couped) but you have to fight tooth and nail to wrestle every little victory from the nest of vipers that is your cabinet, from a literacy campaign to a new constitution to prosecuting the death squads, and when you manage to pull off the slightest positive change for your people without setting off a civil war it feels extremely rewarding.

Alternatively, get Disco Elysium and play Suzerainty :v: